ADVERTISEMENT

2022 UNC Transfer Thread

You hearing anything about our targets in the portal? We still in it for the ones we want?
Some, but one just put out his top 3 of LSU, Michigan and USC, the kid from Coastal. And another just committed to USC. CB/OL/WR/DL are the areas of focus right now. They had a CB that visited yesterday. They'll get a commitment from a 2023 kid (linebacker) this Thursday.

Reactions: tarheel0910
UNC just offered the Safety at Georgia St. They're also extremely interested in his teammate that plays on the DL that wreaked havoc against UNC this year.

Looking ahead, if we can somehow tread water at CB, the next few classes in-state should be good at that position. Might not see it right away in the rankings, but the talent will be there.

Chizik has to go. Hopefully sooner than later, even if it means tearing it all down, at least we still have some talent. PD is loaded, but most of them are State leans, or going OOS. Really the '24 class it looks like.
If Mack gets rid of Chizik, then it would be better for him to just retire. No need to start from scratch on both sides and then do it again in a few years.

Right after I posted that about in-state DBs, I saw where the S we're recruiting released a top 3 of State, WVU and VT. You have to at least hold your own against those guys especially with Tennessee and South Carolina trending better.

Apparently we like GA St's undersized nose-tackle too. Their interior DL was impressive... Every single spot on our D roster outside Cedric Gray needs competition.

Georgia Tech safety, Derrik Allen, and Georgia State DL, Thomas Gore, are visiting UNC tomorrow.
that's the one
For BIG news, UNC and NC State defensive tackle transfer Joshua Harris are in talks.
Cory Durden is going pro. So should Joshua Harris be starting material for NCSU at defensive tackle? Maybe he wasn't getting PT cuz he isn't that good? Iron sharpens iron though... bring him in.

ETA - Just saw he only played 6 games, not a ton of productivity for a redshirt junior. https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/4568317/joshua-harris Their DL was elite, but unless he was hurt, then maybe he isn't that good?

He's same yr as Kevin Hester, both redshirted, so he is basically competition for Hester IMO.

Last edited:
Cory Durden is going pro. So should Joshua Harris be starting material for NCSU at defensive tackle? Maybe he wasn't getting PT cuz he isn't that good? Iron sharpens iron though... bring him in.
I kinda don't care if he's that good. Watching heads explode on pack pride would be worth the roster slot. It's not like he could be a downgrade from what we already have.

that's the one

ETA - Just saw he only played 6 games, not a ton of productivity for a redshirt junior. https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/4568317/joshua-harris Their DL was elite, but unless he was hurt, then maybe he isn't that good?

He's same yr as Kevin Hester, both redshirted, so he is basically competition for Hester IMO.
Harris played in 12 games, from what I'm looking at.

Harris played in 12 games, from what I'm looking at.
ah, they only listed games in which he recorded a stat. 11 total tackles isn't much, but Cory
Durden only had 23, CJ Clark only had 15... i guess their 3-3 has the NT just occupy blockers to let LBs do the cleanup.

ah, they only listed games in which he recorded a stat. 11 total tackles isn't much, but Cory
Durden only had 23, CJ Clark only had 15... i guess their 3-3 has the NT just occupy blockers to let LBs do the cleanup.
Which is what he’d be doing at UNC

Which is what he’d be doing at UNC
I can't tell if this is true or not. Hester had 47 tackles, double NFL-bound Cory Durden, and a bunch more than Davin Vann too. So either they're more "occupy" than we are, or their opposition time of position is much lower so they're playing fewer snaps for some other reason.

Tackles per snap would be an interesting stat. Poor Cedric Gray has put up monster numbers, but he's also played 99% of the D possessions.

Tackles per snap would be an interesting stat. Poor Cedric Gray has put up monster numbers, but he's also played 99% of the D possessions.
Another problem over the past few years, rotation of players. That obviously contributes to development.

I can't tell if this is true or not. Hester had 47 tackles, double NFL-bound Cory Durden, and a bunch more than Davin Vann too. So either they're more "occupy" than we are, or their opposition time of position is much lower so they're playing fewer snaps for some other reason.

Run defense set vs pass rush.

Several transfers visiting UNC this weekend. I expect the Heels to get, at least, 2 CB's from the portal here in the next few days and 1-2 WR's as well. Portal is going to be open all the way through Spring so I look for them to be active all the way up until the 2023 season.

Who are you thinking we might get if you don’t mind me asking?
Nate McCollum (Georgia Tech), Devontez Walker (Kent State), Willie Lampkin (Coastal Carolina), Amari Gainer (Florida State), Thomas Gore (Georgia State), Derrik Allen (Georgia Tech), Alijah Huzzie (East Tennessee State) are the ones that they're really looking at right now. Only one of those are on the OL as they're still waiting to see what some of the starters will do. This list will continue to grow as the portal never sleeps.

ADVERTISEMENT