ADVERTISEMENT

2022 UNC Transfer Thread

there are a couple of olinemen out there that are intriguing to me…one is from bama and the other is from utep iirc.

We don't have adequate depth at CB, so it's good we're filling a need. IJS this guy played 1A ball in GA, then ETSU, so P5 might be more of an adjustment. Could be just fine. Good thing is he has a few years under his belt, and a couple more left.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archer2 and blazers
Add a kicker to the list. Coe was 2nd team all-conference at Cincy and connected on 19-23 field goals and 44-44 on PAT's in 2022.
That’s big! Hearing anything on the FSU linebacker? I think he would be a huge pickup! I’m assuming he would play the jack position? He and Hammrick would be a nice combo there

Add a kicker to the list. Coe was 2nd team all-conference at Cincy and connected on 19-23 field goals and 44-44 on PAT's in 2022.

Was it a position of serious need though? I know the miss against state sucked but to give a scholarship for a kicker. Seems other positions were needed more. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Was it a position of serious need though? I know the miss against state sucked but to give a scholarship for a kicker. Seems other positions were needed more. Correct me if I’m wrong.
We were already down a kicker because of the mid season transfer, so he's just replacing the scholarship that was already designated for a kicker.

Yes, needed another kicker as one hit the portal during the season. They’re replacing positions that have seen attrition via portal or graduation. OL/Kicker/CB/Safety thus far. Expect they get more on the DL/DB/WR and maybe one more on the OL.

Reactions: Realfreedom
UNC adds Georgia Tech's leading WR in Nate McCollum. He had 655 yards in 11 games for the Yellow Jackets this year. He'll add depth at slot receiver with Downs leaving for the Draft.

Reactions: tarheel0910
UNC adds Georgia Tech's leading WR in Nate McCollum. He had 655 yards in 11 games for the Yellow Jackets this year. He'll add depth at slot receiver with Downs leaving for the Draft.
I think the staff has done a decent job in the portal. No one who will be an all American, but those aren't the type of people you are going to find in the portal. Would still like to get some more depth in the secondary, but I'm not sure how we could get much worse. The only big loss there was Duck, but he just couldn't stay on the field anyway.

duck should play in the league.

the gatech add is a great get.
Don't think he can stay healthy enough to play at the next level. Might get a few games before he's cut, which is better than nothing. Hope he can stay healthy, though.

Feels like these additions aren't home-runs, but more depth or competition.

I look at all these guys are none seem like sure-fire starters. Is Armani better than Marcus Allen? Derrick Allen better than Will Hardy/Conley/Biggers/Chapman? Is this slot WR McCollum better than Kobe Paysour? etc.

Competition/depth is a good thing though, better than losing consistently good players to the portal.

I look at all these guys are none seem like sure-fire starters. Is Armani better than Marcus Allen? Derrick Allen better than Will Hardy/Conley/Biggers/Chapman? Is this slot WR McCollum better than Kobe Paysour? etc.

Competition/depth is a good thing though, better than losing consistently good players to the portal.
What home runs were out there? You aren't usually going to find all Americans in the portal and the ones that are there aren't transferring to UNC. I think we've got some good WRs that will either start or get a decent amount of snaps. Secondary is probably mostly depth, but that's all that was out there. You can only get what's available and based on that, we did pretty good.

What home runs were out there? You aren't usually going to find all Americans in the portal and the ones that are there aren't transferring to UNC. I think we've got some good WRs that will either start or get a decent amount of snaps. Secondary is probably mostly depth, but that's all that was out there. You can only get what's available and based on that, we did pretty good.
Yeah, a guy like Corey Gaynor was a homerun, but most of those guys do wind up at bigger programs. If we can land a Travis Shaw, Zach Rice, etc you hope we could land some big dawgs from the portal too occasionally. Josiah Stewart type guy would've been nice. Fentrell whatever from UVA was a pipe dream, but would have been perfect.

Walker will start this year alongside Greene. McCollum is experienced and will get plenty of reps with Paysour. A lot of WR depth in the slot behind those guys but it's sure nice to have multiple guys with experience as starters. Hardy and Conley will be the starters, never a bad thing to add experienced depth as injuries will pile up as it's part of the game. The center from Coastal Carolina is also a nice pickup and will most likely start of Gaynor doesn't return. They're a better team because of the portal, which is the point of the portal.

Walker will start this year alongside Greene. McCollum is experienced and will get plenty of reps with Paysour. A lot of WR depth in the slot behind those guys but it's sure nice to have multiple guys with experience as starters. Hardy and Conley will be the starters, never a bad thing to add experienced depth as injuries will pile up as it's part of the game. The center from Coastal Carolina is also a nice pickup and will most likely start of Gaynor doesn't return. They're a better team because of the portal, which is the point of the portal.
In terms of upside I guess Tez Walker is up there, followed by Huzzie?

And are you sure about Conley? He didn't even get a snap vs Clemson or NCSU... He was healthy enough for ST reps, but not real reps at safety? Both are equally physical and demanding. So i'm kinda questioning how much he'll fully recover.

Conley was incredibly violent near the line of scrimmage, great instincts for findings the ball, but in his second yr he was taking some really bad angles and sometimes making really bad coverage decisions. You need ballers in the secondary, but in a bend-don't-break they're gonna want guys who make fewer mistakes.

In terms of upside I guess Tez Walker is up there, followed by Huzzie?

And are you sure about Conley? He didn't even get a snap vs Clemson or NCSU... He was healthy enough for ST reps, but not real reps at safety? Both are equally physical and demanding. So i'm kinda questioning how much he'll fully recover.

Conley was incredibly violent near the line of scrimmage, great instincts for findings the ball, but in his second yr he was taking some really bad angles and sometimes making really bad coverage decisions. You need ballers in the secondary, but in a bend-don't-break they're gonna want guys who make fewer mistakes.
Had some setbacks and they were easing him in with special teams. Big difference between running down hill on teams and cutting etc on defense. It will be him and Hardy in 2023 back deep. Walker is going to be a stud.

If Bama is offering, Gainer must be decent, right? I'm always curious who else is offering guys.

Tez Walker visited one of the smaller big10 teams i think, but i'm not sure how many of the other guys on the inbound transfer list visited bigger P5 teams.

If Bama is offering, Gainer must be decent, right? I'm always curious who else is offering guys.

Tez Walker visited one of the smaller big10 teams i think, but i'm not sure how many of the other guys on the inbound transfer list visited bigger P5 teams.
UNC just landed Gainer, big time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT