ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Not sure Trimble is a PG at all. Also, Trimble and Cadeau cannot start together. Can't have two starting guards who can't shoot.
That's why you spend the offseason with Marcus Paige. Trimble is already around 40% from 3.

Cadeau spent last offseason playing AAU ball and thinking about reclassifying. He can spend this entire offseason with Paige.

They weren't pushed out. Hubert was just honest with them. The team missed the NCAA tournament, he wouldn't promise any of them playing time, bc Hubert was gonna add portal players.
My understanding at the time was that Nickel was the exception. He was moving to be closer to his GF, or something like that, and we did not "invite him to leave."

Although he didn't start much for Va Tech, his offensive numbers look very good and he played good minutes.

2p = .521
3p = .399
FT = .820
MPG = 24.3

I hardly saw any Va Tech games, so I have 3 questions:

1. Does he want to come back?
2. Can he defend?
3. Do we want him?

If we like him and he's "seen the error of his ways" then I have no problem adding him back in to the fold.

Unlikely, but why not?

Who else leaves? Trimble cadeau?
Assuming they aren't unhappy, it's hard to see either leaving.

With Cormac gone Trimble is likely to see more minutes. If RJ leaves, he'll definitely see more minutes. Sure we have hotshot incoming freshmen, but they're still freshmen.

Meanwhile, Cadeau needs the offseason so he can become strong all game long against all foes, but he's unquestionably our PG for all the minutes he can handle.

Assuming they aren't unhappy, it's hard to see either leaving.

With Cormac gone Trimble is likely to see more minutes. If RJ leaves, he'll definitely see more minutes. Sure we have hotshot incoming freshmen, but they're still freshmen.

Meanwhile, Cadeau needs the offseason so he can become strong all game long against all foes, but he's unquestionably our PG for all the minutes he can handle.
I’d like to believe that last sentence but if RJ comes back why wouldn’t we see the same Jeckyl & Hyde offense as this year. I think RJ is back but the team might be better if he isn’t.

It makes no sense to open the portal this early. That center from Rutgers will likely pick a school before we can even host him for a visit.
I hear you, but why keep the portal closed just for the few remaining teams that are still playing?

The portal opened March 18 and the NCAAT field was down to 16 on March 24.

Sure, it means those 16 - out of 362 - might get a delayed start. But those teams are usually blue bloods anyway.

If UNC is interested, all we have to do is express that interest. Most will wait, won't they?

Not sure Trimble is a PG at all. Also, Trimble and Cadeau cannot start together. Can't have two starting guards who can't shoot.
To me, Trimble is a wing. I know that sounds weird. But he's more of a baseline player offensively. Unless he develops a jump shot that he believes in, I think he's more of a wing.

If he were to start Cadeau, you would need plus shooters at the other 3 positions. There's not going to be enough space for a traditional big guy to operate.

I don't see a Final Four contending team that starts limited offensive players like Cadeau and Trimble together. Unless you have NBA level scorers playing at the other 3 spots.

Have to get more talented, 2 way players.

I’d like to believe that last sentence but if RJ comes back why wouldn’t we see the same Jeckyl & Hyde offense as this year. I think RJ is back but the team might be better if he isn’t.
With RJ back and an improved EC, RJ doesn't have to handle the ball for most of the 2nd half in a brutal Sweet Sixteen battle.

Just sayin'.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Can't disagree with your last comment.

Marcus has his work cut out for him over the summer.

Who else does he need to work on? A year or so back I read that Ian was a great driver but his deep shooting was suspect. Is that still the case?

To me, Trimble is a wing. I know that sounds weird. But he's more of a baseline player offensively. Unless he develops a jump shot that he believes in, I think he's more of a wing.

If he were to start Cadeau, you would need plus shooters at the other 3 positions. There's not going to be enough space for a traditional big guy to operate.

I don't see a Final Four contending team that starts limited offensive players like Cadeau and Trimble together. Unless you have NBA level scorers playing at the other 3 spots.

Have to get more talented, 2 way players.
Trimble's not really in a great spot to be a starter for a high end team. He's small and can't shoot, but isn't a great driver against a set defense (he is a monster in transition or once the defense is out of position). Having a small non-shooter as an off-ball player doesn't usually lead to good outcomes.

He's at his best as a defensive point of attack guard on ball handlers. Putting him there though means Cadeau/RJ/etc need to guard the bigger off-ball players and wings, which isn't ideal either. People on TOS are saying he is a "3", but I don't agree for that reason. His best defensive value is at guarding 1s, not wings.

I think he has to improve more offensively to be a starter for us.

Will Hubert invite anyone to leave from the current crew?

Zaden High looked quite promising early in the season. But he only played 10 minutes, total, in the last 10 games.

James Okonkwo looked out of place and herky-jerky early on. He still looks herky-jerky on occasion, but seems to fit in better now. He only played 8 minutes in the last 10 games.

Looking at points and rebounds (using 40 min and 100 possession stats) Okonkwo looks better, but is he?

Do either of them have a place on next year's team? I think both could improve a lot, but will they? Or would we be better off with portal replacements for 1 or both?

OK, so welcome to the off season...

First in Nickel, I like the kid, didn't want him to leave but having said that I am a no as far as wanting him back. Nickel is a 3 that can play the 4 in small ball but we are totally covered at the 3 spot with Drake and Jack coming in and at the 4 we are covered if Ingram comes back but even if he doesn't we should have Withers and Jalen back and Jalen is more of a stretch 4 than Withers being a very good jump shooter with length. I don't see a spot for Nickel that he fits better than what we have.

We have had 1 major flaw that we knew would be exploited in that our starting back court was really small. Our back up for the 2 was Seth and he is solid size and a great defender but he was hesitant to jump shoot, he actually made a nice % when he did shoot but he passed on a LOT of open looks. Now if and I say IF Jack can play the 2 for us, all the sudden we get a lot more length in our back court, I am not sold he can, he is a slasher scorer but not sold his jump shooting is where we need it to be as a freshman. Drake's jump shooting stepped up this last season but still, I assume he will struggle a bit to jump shoot.

If Jackson can jump shoot enough from the 2 to force his defenders to have to respect his jumper it would open up the rest of his game, especially that special quick cross over, our back court length problem would much less of a problem. I expect a much improved version of Cadeau for next season. But if RJ leaves who backs up Cadeau at the point, we need a ball handler to back up Cadeau that can hit some open jump shots.

Ray Charles saw it, told Stevie Wonder who told me that we need a big man to replace bacot because we do not have anyone in the wings ready to give us anything near what Bacot does, that being a big wide shoulders guy that plays with brute strength and size. The guys we have or that are on the way do not give us that. Brown may one day but I see him right now getting High like minutes and I would not be shocked to see High portal out, this level may be a bit to big for him. I think it is vital that we be able to hold on to Jalen and JWit, and I will say this yet again, I think Jalen Washington becomes a break out player for us when he starts consistently and actively looking for his jump shot. And for all you that love to scream about him as a defender, I assure you that none of them will be talking negatively about that kid when he starts splashing multiple jump shots over defenders, even chappel will shut up about that! But Jalen is not that broad shoulders power guy inside the paint, he is more a counter punching jump shooter that has great length that needs to work on his hands and not put the ball on the floor, he is as shaky as Bacot putting the ball on the floor and maybe even more so. Duke is bringing in a big broad shoulder freshman in Maluch, we need a counter to that.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Seth is 6'3"and 195
Trimble's not really in a great spot to be a starter for a high end team. He's small and can't shoot, but isn't a great driver against a set defense (he is a monster in transition or once the defense is out of position). Having a small non-shooter as an off-ball player doesn't usually lead to good outcomes.

He's at his best as a defensive point of attack guard on ball handlers. Putting him there though means Cadeau/RJ/etc need to guard the bigger off-ball players and wings, which isn't ideal either. People on TOS are saying he is a "3", but I don't agree for that reason. His best defensive value is at guarding 1s, not wings.

I think he has to improve more offensively to be a starter for us.
Seth is 6'3" and 195lbs, since when was that considered small for a college 2 guard? RJ at maybe 5'11" is small for a 2 but Seth isn't? Kenny Williams was 6'4" and 185lbs, was he small to for a college 2, Kenny was an exclusive 2 guard? Kenny's last season with us he averaged 8.6pts per game and shot treys at a 29.5%, I seem to recall he started for us, I seem to recall he left with a pretty cool ring?

Cadeau didn't look to happy sitting on the bench. Coach needs to find a taller PG on the portal.

Cadeau didn't look to happy sitting on the bench. Coach needs to find a taller PG on the portal.
I bet he was't happy. But, he's not leaving UNC. He's not Tyler Nickel-level dumb.

Nickel must be a head case on some level. I'm glad he left UNC.

Cadeau
RJ
Drake/Ian
Ingram
Elite portal big

The above is what we have to hope next year's starting line up is.

Seth
Drake/Ian
Withers
Washington (or portal big in the event Washington leaves)
High
J. Brown
portal shooter

The above is what we have to hope next year's bench is.

Trimble can be 6th man of the year, DPOY and an integral piece of a quality team, playing 20+ mpg if he's willing to play his role and not feel the need to be a starter. Maybe as a senior he can get a starting spot but I don't see it for next year unless RJ leaves which we all should be hoping doesn't happen.

Reactions: Heelicious
Cadeau
RJ
Drake/Ian
Ingram
Elite portal big

The above is what we have to hope next year's starting line up is.

Seth
Drake/Ian
Withers
Washington (or portal big in the event Washington leaves)
High
J. Brown
portal shooter

The above is what we have to hope next year's bench is.

Trimble can be 6th man of the year, DPOY and an integral piece of a quality team, playing 20+ mpg if he's willing to play his role and not feel the need to be a starter. Maybe as a senior he can get a starting spot but I don't see it for next year unless RJ leaves which we all should be hoping doesn't happen.
Great post. I don’t know as much about incoming players as you or others here do - but I like your starting 5.

I think Seth should be fine with being 6th man - if he continues to improve and force hubs to give him more minutes including crunch time.

I know - different teams but remember Marvin Williams was 6th man and went 2nd overall in nba draft. What matters is working hard enough and improving to where the team absolutely wants and needs you on floor in clutch situations. Like Seth was against msu. Which is why I thought he and EC deserved more minutes last night.

I want all the players to make big steps up - we all do - but maybe none more than Washington. I don’t think bacot was ever dominant or great when it mattered. Often when matched against good bigs he’d disappear like last night. Still there is nobody including wash who can come close know to filling what bacot did generally especially on rebounding and defense. I mean - I think Harrison is a much better basketball player with more athleticism, fire, and ability than bacot - but I think he obviously needs to remain as 3-4 and take advantage of his shooting - not be a low block post player.

Great post. I don’t know as much about incoming players as you or others here do - but I like your starting 5.

I think Seth should be fine with being 6th man - if he continues to improve and force hubs to give him more minutes including crunch time.

I know - different teams but remember Marvin Williams was 6th man and went 2nd overall in nba draft. What matters is working hard enough and improving to where the team absolutely wants and needs you on floor in clutch situations. Like Seth was against msu. Which is why I thought he and EC deserved more minutes last night.

I want all the players to make big steps up - we all do - but maybe none more than Washington. I don’t think bacot was ever dominant or great when it mattered. Often when matched against good bigs he’d disappear like last night. Still there is nobody including wash who can come close know to filling what bacot did generally especially on rebounding and defense. I mean - I think Harrison is a much better basketball player with more athleticism, fire, and ability than bacot - but I think he obviously needs to remain as 3-4 and take advantage of his shooting - not be a low block post player.

I don't think Washington will ever get to where he can play 25 mpg. He's not regained his footspeed or lateral quickness, he's weak and somewhat clumsy. He doesn't rebound well out of his area and isn't a great shot blocker despite his length. I don't think all of that gets remedied over the off season. Sadly, I think he is what he is at this point. I also think there's a real chance he might leave. I hate guys leaving but in this era of college ball, it's going to happen. With that said, there are portal options that offer much more than Washington.

I'd also like to add a good backup PF and a good backup C.
Hey... if Hubs can replicate his portal success of this season, and RJ returns, UNC should be golden.

Hubs is still learning, but he's learning fast. I think Marcus Paige might have helped more. Who knows.

Get as many bulls-eyes from the portal as you can.

Hey... if Hubs can replicate his portal success of this season, and RJ returns, UNC should be golden.

Hubs is still learning, but he's learning fast. I think Marcus Paige might have helped more. Who knows.

Get as many bulls-eyes from the portal as you can.
Nice post Strum. I think we have to have faith in a couple big things.
1) Hubs being a GREAT relationship builder / recruiter out of high school and portal and advocating for all that comes with being part of IMO the top highest profile most successful , best nil opportunities (hate saying that but it’s real and it matters to the kids)- available at UNC vs other areas. Outside of Duke and maybe Kentucky - a couple other programs who can offer that. And hubs is a great guy I thin and great with families coaches kids. I think he relates great on a personal level. Think of him vs freaking oats in your living room with your son.

2) I have to hope Paige can help in recruiting because he’s a great ambassador too - but more importantly Paige and hubs do whatever is necessary to fix / improve ec mostly but also Seth shooting. They don’t even need to both be deadeye 3’guys. Just need to get to where they can hit 60-70% on wide open 12-15 jumpers and finish in lane better. Or Paige / Hubs find hidden gems in portal like Knecht, cam Spencer as much as I hate him. Or repeat with great finds like HI and Cormac.

Nickel is a 3 that can play the 4 in small ball but we are totally covered at the 3 spot with Drake and Jack coming in and at the 4 we are covered if Ingram comes back
That sounds like another year with a smaller than average team. Sure, small teams can be very successful, but I don't like it.

Maybe we get a little bigger if RJ leaves, but then we also lose 21 ppg. Plus, RJ embodies grit.

I doubt we get Nickel back but, if we did, we get a bit of size and some decent scoring. Maybe a lot of scoring if he continues year-over-year improvements.

If Ingram doesn't come back we lose the obvious, but also grit and especially team spirit. Where will that come from?

Okonkwo strikes me as a team spirit kind of guy but he has to earn a lot more minutes before that matters on the floor.

In my mind, the grittiest players for us, more or less in order, are

RJ​
Cormac​
Harrison​
Armando​
We're definitely losing 2 of them, and we could lose all 4. That would really hurt.

Need to have a player off the bench who can give you a consistent 8-10 PPG, who can give you 15. Not a guy who will give you 15 like twice a year. This bench needs more punch.

Especially assuming Cadeau is a lower point scoring PG. If we had a 13-18 PPG PG like Felton, Lawson, or White, there's probably less necessity to get some scoring from the bench. If Cadeau is a Kendall Marshall type scorer, we either need 4 scorers in the starting lineup or someone who can score off the bench.

Need to have a player off the bench who can give you a consistent 8-10 PPG, who can give you 15. Not a guy who will give you 15 like twice a year. This bench needs more punch.

Especially assuming Cadeau is a lower point scoring PG. If we had a 13-18 PPG PG like Felton, Lawson, or White, there's probably less necessity to get some scoring from the bench. If Cadeau is a Kendall Marshall type scorer, we either need 4 scorers in the starting lineup or someone who can score off the bench.
Our championship teams all had good bench guys, particularly big men.

Marvin Williams, Ed Davis, Luke Maye, Tony Bradley.

We spent most of this season talking about how little our bench actually gave us.

That sounds like another year with a smaller than average team. Sure, small teams can be very successful, but I don't like it.

Maybe we get a little bigger if RJ leaves, but then we also lose 21 ppg. Plus, RJ embodies grit.

I doubt we get Nickel back but, if we did, we get a bit of size and some decent scoring. Maybe a lot of scoring if he continues year-over-year improvements.

If Ingram doesn't come back we lose the obvious, but also grit and especially team spirit. Where will that come from?

Okonkwo strikes me as a team spirit kind of guy but he has to earn a lot more minutes before that matters on the floor.

In my mind, the grittiest players for us, more or less in order, are

RJ​
Cormac​
Harrison​
Armando​
We're definitely losing 2 of them, and we could lose all 4. That would really hurt.
LOL, in my mind and I have thought thru this a lot, I go back and forth with the question of RJ coming back. If he were not so small, say if he were 6'3" it would be a no brainer but he isn't. One part of me says we don't want to lose a guy that gave us over 20 a game and ended up as ACC POY but as Randy Travis said..."on the other hand". On the other hand it is the truth that a back court of Cadeau and RJ is small and we were taken to task for that all season, not just last night. The other truth, is a truth in my mind and I don't think can be convinced other wise it that RJ Davis is a 2 guard in a PGs body and just is not the level of PG we need.

If for example, we could bring in Jalen Bradley from Arizona or a guy with his frame and ability to step in for RJ if he does leave and yet be able to move over and cover for Cadeau when he goes to the bench, we could be better as a team. Said it many times, I simply do not like RJ playing the point for us, I still don't. RJ at the point for us SLOWS our tempo, we become a half court team and have to rely way to much on jump shots, no matter how weak Cadeau may be as a shooter right now he still creates shots for his team mates, open good shots that you need to be ready to catch his passes, far to often his mates were not ready for his pass.

Alabama showed the world how to stop Cadeau from creating offense for his teammates last night. The numbers and the tape don't lie.

Elliot has 7 months to turn himself into a shooter that opposing defenses have to guard.

Alabama showed the world how to stop Cadeau from creating offense for his teammates last night. The numbers and the tape don't lie.

Elliot has 7 months to turn himself into a shooter that opposing defenses have to guard.
Yeah, keep him on the bench... You don't specialize in paying attention do ya.

I agree but I’ll say this. If he could shoot mid 30s from deep and RJ returns, all we need is a serviceable big. This years team would have been really on a diff level if he could have done that. I know I know meanwhile water is wet. lol

Reactions: dtodd4475
I agree but I’ll say this. If he could shoot mid 30s from deep and RJ returns, all we need is a serviceable big. This years team would have been really on a diff level if he could have done that. I know I know meanwhile water is wet. lol
As long as that big is strong enough to hold post position, and not some defensive sieve, I totally agree.

LOL, in my mind and I have thought thru this a lot, I go back and forth with the question of RJ coming back. If he were not so small, say if he were 6'3" it would be a no brainer but he isn't. One part of me says we don't want to lose a guy that gave us over 20 a game and ended up as ACC POY but as Randy Travis said..."on the other hand". On the other hand it is the truth that a back court of Cadeau and RJ is small and we were taken to task for that all season, not just last night. The other truth, is a truth in my mind and I don't think can be convinced other wise it that RJ Davis is a 2 guard in a PGs body and just is not the level of PG we need.

If for example, we could bring in Jalen Bradley from Arizona or a guy with his frame and ability to step in for RJ if he does leave and yet be able to move over and cover for Cadeau when he goes to the bench, we could be better as a team. Said it many times, I simply do not like RJ playing the point for us, I still don't. RJ at the point for us SLOWS our tempo, we become a half court team and have to rely way to much on jump shots, no matter how weak Cadeau may be as a shooter right now he still creates shots for his team mates, open good shots that you need to be ready to catch his passes, far to often his mates were not ready for his pass.
If rj plays the point except in backup for ec went something wrong. Even having Seth as backup pg I prefer to rj.

But if we are saying it’s a coin flip on whether we want one of the top shooters and scorers ever at UNC and ACC to come back? That is insane. A no brainer. I don’t care if Rj were 5’6”. He is a great scorer fro EVERYWHERE on the court. We have about zero chance of getting someone who can replace even 80% of what Rj gave us this year. It is delusional to think these once in a generation players can walk and we find someone to plug in that can replace him? His scoring ability from everywhere including killer from deep / 3 and ft line, and his grit / heart / desire and leadership.

Almost always love your takes but I can’t imagine anyone hesitating on whether to bring back rj. We should put full court press on RJ to please come back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT