ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

That was Hubert's decision. Why do you think he made it?
Hubert seems to be a guy that gets totally locked in to a mindset and just refuses to get away from it even if he would be better served doing other wise. Why was Caleb allowed to constantly shoot so many bricks last season, why was Nance used like a Brady Manek clone, why was Leaky a designated shooter last season, why was Wojic considered to be one of our few green like shooters, why was Jalen's jump shot not used more? I can give you a rather long list of why Hubert decided this or that. I can as well give a long list of things he has done well this season, the second half last night would not be on the things he did well list.

Can you tell me why with Bama's guards going off on us that our best guard defender, one of and maybe the best guard defenders in the nation was not out there defending their guards?

I hear you, but why keep the portal closed just for the few remaining teams that are still playing?

The portal opened March 18 and the NCAAT field was down to 16 on March 24.

Sure, it means those 16 - out of 362 - might get a delayed start. But those teams are usually blue bloods anyway.

If UNC is interested, all we have to do is express that interest. Most will wait, won't they?
And a group of teams still playing in the NIT...

Seth is 6'3"and 195

Seth is 6'3" and 195lbs, since when was that considered small for a college 2 guard? RJ at maybe 5'11" is small for a 2 but Seth isn't? Kenny Williams was 6'4" and 185lbs, was he small to for a college 2, Kenny was an exclusive 2 guard? Kenny's last season with us he averaged 8.6pts per game and shot treys at a 29.5%, I seem to recall he started for us, I seem to recall he left with a pretty cool ring?
I was saying he's small for a 3. He's averagish for a 2 (maybe a bit below average), though he plays big enough he could play the 2 if he could shoot.

Hubert seems to be a guy that gets totally locked in to a mindset and just refuses to get away from it even if he would be better served doing other wise. Why was Caleb allowed to constantly shoot so many bricks last season, why was Nance used like a Brady Manek clone, why was Leaky a designated shooter last season, why was Wojic considered to be one of our few green like shooters, why was Jalen's jump shot not used more? I can give you a rather long list of why Hubert decided this or that. I can as well give a long list of things he has done well this season, the second half last night would not be on the things he did well list.

Can you tell me why with Bama's guards going off on us that our best guard defender, one of and maybe the best guard defenders in the nation was not out there defending their guards?
Back when most of us were grumbling about Caleb's hero ball and many couldn't understand why Hubert kept him in, the obvious answer (I think) is that Hubert didn't think he had a better option.

I think most of your questions can be answered the same way. Maybe with the exception of playing Pete like he was Brady.

Why was Paxson in? Because Hubert didn't think he had a better option.

Could he be wrong about not having a better option? Maybe. But after the surprise early treys from Elliot and Seth were clearly not going to be repeated, can you honestly say they were the better option?

Yea, reminds me of Dean Smith. Locked in regardless of the outcome. That’s why he always took the blame for a loss and never blamed his players. I think Davis was right last night. Just 1 or 2 threes go in for RJ and all would be saying what a great game Davis coached.

• Love
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Yea, reminds me of Dean Smith. Locked in regardless of the outcome. That’s why he always took the blame for a loss and never blamed his players. I think Davis was right last night. Just 1 or 2 threes go in for RJ and all would be saying what a great game Davis coached.
Heck if Withers just passes the ball back to RJ and allows him to drive on that one play, that might have been enough to win.

Reactions: Old_School59
Did Hubert take the blame for the loss ??? Hubert did not coach a good game regardless of it being a win or loss. Hindsight and objectivity are two different animals

Reactions: thompsjj
Because the team did not play well last night with Elliot on the floor.

And if we're being honest, Elliot only had like 1 good game in the past 3 weeks. Did he hit the freshman wall?

I fully expect him to be much better next season.

That said, last summer he was a lock for OAD. And now he might be a candidate for the Seventh Woods (aka: Peaked Before He Got Here) Award.

OK, I'm not that worried. Heck, he's probably not even a candidate for the Seth Trimble (aka: Had a Bad Game and Disappeared for the Rest of the Season) Award.

But those thoughts did occur to me.

Because the team did not play well last night with Elliot on the floor.

And if we're being honest, Elliot only had like 1 good game in the past 3 weeks. Did he hit the freshman wall?
They also played worse without him on the floor. Look at the score and point production with EC on/off the floor. UNC is a plow horse with RJ as the primary ball handler because the majority of the time RJ's penetration stops at the 3 pt line and he then moves laterally.

Reactions: RP12 and thompsjj
I fully expect him to be much better next season.

That said, last summer he was a lock for OAD. And now he might be a candidate for the Seventh Woods (aka: Peaked Before He Got Here) Award.

OK, I'm not that worried. Heck, he's probably not even a candidate for the Seth Trimble (aka: Had a Bad Game and Disappeared for the Rest of the Season) Award.

But those thoughts did occur to me.
I thought EC played exactly like I expected him to play. Had some ups and downs. He forced some passes but made some awesome ones. Ran the offense and got guys involved. Also struggled with shooting. I never thought he was a good shooter from hs. I couldn’t ever find any real stats on him but just some mixed tapes that make anyone look great. If he’d been a good shooter then everyone would have know it these days. He was bigger faster and stronger and killer than most his opponents and he got away with it. I think he’ll be some of those things again next year. He showed flashes of that this season as a freshman. I really hope RJ returns as well as everyone else that can.

I think Cadeau is fine. The problem is people expected him to be Rookie of the Year, All ACC, and many saying he’s generational. All of those expectations should have been adjusted when he showed he couldnt shoot the ball but for some reason, those expectations remained (and remain) absurdly high.

But he had a fine freshman season. But please pump the brakes on what he’s going to be. Because right now, he’s a physically limited but talented and developing PG.

I think Cadeau is fine. The problem is people expected him to be Rookie of the Year, All ACC, and many saying he’s generational. All of those expectations should have been adjusted when he showed he couldnt shoot the ball but for some reason, those expectations remained (and remain) absurdly high.

But he had a fine freshman season. But please pump the brakes on what he’s going to be. Because right now, he’s a physically limited but talented and developing PG.
Go look at the posts coming into the season. I warned everyone that they were overhyping him ridiculously, and it would be literally impossible to meet those goals. We had people saying he would be the best player at UNC the moment he put his uniform on. That he would be better than Lawson, Felton, Joel Berry, etc and the vest PG UNC has ever seen. Etc etc etc.

I tried to warn people they were setting themselves to be let down and no matter what he did, even if he did great, they would be left underwhelmed.

RJ Davis has had a career trajectory that somewhat mirrors Joel Berry a lot. Everyone has bashed RJ and blamed him so much and degraded him that it has not been fun to see.

We need to stop bashing our players, let alone our stars. No, the 9th ranked guy in the class likely isn't going to come onto the floor and go Jordan on everyone. No, our best players aren't going to have a great game every game, make every shot, and make no mistakes. We have a fan base that is spoiled. That can't accept losing, despite the program wins way more than most. That turns on it's own way too often. UNC did great this year.

I believe a Sweet Sixteen is what many expected was possible for us. We probably did slightly better record wise than many thought we would before the year began, and we were a disasterously bad game away from the elite 8 or final four or who knows what.

Be happy you got to enjoy a quality year of unc basketball.

Along the lines of being questioned about either Seth or cadeau possibly leaving and people saying no way. but realize we had several jump ship last year and were in very similar situations so you never know what these young guys are thinking. Hope they stay but time will tell.

THIS is spot on! He is going to be a terrific College pg, but I think there is a better chance of him playing 4 years than 2 years.
Nothing wrong with that, love his future as a Carolina pg.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
1995 Final Four Calabria goes 1-10
1997 Final Four Shammond goes 1-13
1998 Final Four Shammon goes 2-12
2022 Championship game Caleb and RJ combine for 1-13 from 3 point range

It happened again to the most important guy at the worst time. To his credit, RJ provided a spark down the stretch in other ways with his drives and clutch free throws. The dude is one of the most reliable players in UNC history. It was tough to watch.

Last edited:
THIS is spot on! He is going to be a terrific College pg, but I think there is a better chance of him playing 4 years than 2 years.
Nothing wrong with that, love his future as a Carolina pg.
He doesn’t really fit the criteria of what the NBA is looking for, so I agree that he’s tracking to be a 3-4 year college player. I just hope it’s at Carolina and not elsewhere.

It happened again to the most important guy at the worst time. To his credit, RJ provided a spark down the stretch in other ways with his drives and clutch free throws. The dude is one of the most relatable players in UNC history. It was tough to watch.
Ugh! This post. Thanks for sharing though. Just shows you can’t measure player and program success on ncaa titles alone. Those players shoot say 35-40% which is realistic and MAYBE we hang 2-4 more banners. I wonder if there is someone. Who could’ve hit one - two more shots in 16 for a title @pittsburghheel ? Maybe Marcus Paige or Justin Jackson?

ETA: I recall in one of those final fours - the day before at the expo shammond hit like literally over 100 consecutive FTs - then couldn’t throw it in the ocean from a boat in game day. Just not fair or right.

Reactions: pittsburghheel
Ugh! This post. Thanks for sharing though. Just shows you can’t measure player and program success on ncaa titles alone. Those players shoot say 35-40% which is realistic and MAYBE we hang 2-4 more banners. I wonder if there is someone. Who could’ve hit one - two more shots in 16 for a title @pittsburghheel ? Maybe Marcus Paige or Justin Jackson?

ETA: I recall in one of those final fours - the day before at the expo shammond hit like literally over 100 consecutive FTs - then couldn’t throw it in the ocean from a boat in game day. Just not fair or right.

Not 2016, but in the 2017 semis IIRC, Jackson was 0-9 from 3 & we beat Oregon by 1.

Reactions: Heelicious
Not 2016, but in the 2017 semis IIRC, Jackson was 0-9 from 3 & we beat Oregon by 1.
That game (2017 FF against Oregon), and the Baylor game in 2022... were the 2 most arduous, blood-pressure-raising, excruciating UNC games I can ever remember. Maybe they're just the most recent that are still pretty fresh.

Makes me appreciate 1993 and Donald Williams that much more!

1993 Final Four Donald Williams goes 10-14

Check out this gem from 1993:

Go look at the posts coming into the season. I warned everyone that they were overhyping him ridiculously, and it would be literally impossible to meet those goals. We had people saying he would be the best player at UNC the moment he put his uniform on. That he would be better than Lawson, Felton, Joel Berry, etc and the vest PG UNC has ever seen. Etc etc etc.

I tried to warn people they were setting themselves to be let down and no matter what he did, even if he did great, they would be left underwhelmed.

RJ Davis has had a career trajectory that somewhat mirrors Joel Berry a lot. Everyone has bashed RJ and blamed him so much and degraded him that it has not been fun to see.

We need to stop bashing our players, let alone our stars. No, the 9th ranked guy in the class likely isn't going to come onto the floor and go Jordan on everyone. No, our best players aren't going to have a great game every game, make every shot, and make no mistakes. We have a fan base that is spoiled. That can't accept losing, despite the program wins way more than most. That turns on it's own way too often. UNC did great this year.

I believe a Sweet Sixteen is what many expected was possible for us. We probably did slightly better record wise than many thought we would before the year began, and we were a disasterously bad game away from the elite 8 or final four or who knows what.

excellent post

I think the common fates flaws of those teams above was they RELIED on one player to be a consistent 3 point shooter.
Stack/Wallace and Carter/Jamison are all-timers on those losing teams…but we only had Dante and Shammond as consistent shooters.
I think the Justin, Marcus, Joel were all capable to carry the outside load on their teams. 2016 was just one of those endings that we could not prevent.

Reactions: Heelicious

🏆 Post of the Year 🏆

Miami's Joseph lands at St John's.

At the moment, 4 of On3's top-10 portal players are centers. Are we interested in any of them?

Reynaud (Stanford)
Omoruyi (Rutgers)
Wolf (Yale)
Garrison (OK St)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT