ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Hey Nate, pardon me but I want to clear something up. You and I have a pretty long history of disagreement but as I have shared many times I actually enjoy arguing with you. I thought everyone knew but have seen some posts over the last couple days where folks were wondering about you.

A few weeks back, I actually did a diss toward you that I actually do regret and would ask your forgiveness for it, I publicly expressed that I thought you were the dave Chappell poster knowing you are better than that. To your credit, you are not hiding, you publicly shared who you were and that you were going by this screen name as opposed to the ole SJung we all know and love, at times love to hate ;). I just wanted to clear the air on something I thought everyone knew but seems they didn't.
No worries. I'm not going to take a whole lot personally here, lol.

In ACC other portal news, Steve Forbes has not snagged an elite PG from the portal yet this year.

2022 - Alondes Williams
2023 - Tyree Appleby
2024 - Hunter Sallis

I just read that even grad transfers have to declare for the portal, as of a recent NCAA ruling. Meaning if RJ wants to keep his options open, he needs to do that.

I'm hoping we hear an official commitment to return before the entry deadline, but I also want him to set himself up for success if transferring looks like a wise move.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Unfortunately JW’s skill set and strength is currently no where even close to Filipowski.
True, but.... He shoots better from deep than Flip. And the point wasn't that he's as good as Flip but that team success doesn't require a team's best big - which is Jalen at the moment - to be pinned under the basket. Flip was just the most obvious example.

That under-the-basket expectation fit Armando's skill set just fine, and doesn't fit Washington's, as we've all been saying. So either Washington gets a big makeover or Hubert uses him differently from how he used Armando - which could be more like how Flip was used.

I just read that even grad transfers have to declare for the portal, as of a recent NCAA ruling. Meaning if RJ wants to keep his options open, he needs to do that.

I'm hoping we hear an official commitment to return before the entry deadline, but I also want him to set himself up for success if transferring looks like a wise move.
What is wrong with you?

True, but.... He shoots better from deep than Flip. And the point wasn't that he's as good as Flip but that team success doesn't require a team's best big - which is Jalen at the moment - to be pinned under the basket. Flip was just the most obvious example.

That under-the-basket expectation fit Armando's skill set just fine, and doesn't fit Washington's, as we've all been saying. So either Washington gets a big makeover or Hubert uses him differently from how he used Armando - which could be more like how Flip was used.
The sample size on JW shooting “better” than Filipowski is

JW has taken a couple dozen 3s in his career and made less than 10. Filipowski has taken hundreds at a solid percentage. JW has a pretty form, but data is data.

I have a feeling Cades bus left for us now ... Hopefully I eat crow on this
IF, and I did say IF we do miss on Tyson what would YOU prefer we do? Go after another another wing to replace Ryan, maybe a Jonell Davis type or to bad Griffeth is off the board now, maybe a guy like Lil Pedja or the Brie kid? Or do you stand pat and depend on Drake/Ian/Seth to handle our 3 spot, my preference actually. You may not agree but I saw the real value that Ryan brought us as his really strong vet leadership and of all things, his defense, way more than his jump shooting, which truth is I found a touch under whelming. I could even go big and get some minutes from JWit at the 3 if I had to.

Consider, last season Seth got his minutes at the 2 and the 3, most from the 2 when Cadeau sat and RJ moved to the point. I can't imagine Cadeau sitting nearly as much next season nor can I imagine RJ sitting more than he did last season so where do the minutes for a player it seemed everyone wanted back in Seth come from if Tyson is a Heel, do Ian and Powell get nothing but clean up minutes, only get on the floor when High and Brown trot out to kill the last minute or 2 in a game we have already won? Wonder how guys like Koa Peat, Caleb Wilson, or Jasper Johnson would look at that, 2 5 stars on UNC bench that never get to play, could that be me if I go there?

If Tyson becomes a Tar Heel, I will embrace him but until that becomes official I have concerns.

JW has taken a couple dozen 3s in his career and made less than 10. Filipowski has taken hundreds at a solid percentage. JW has a pretty form, but data is data.
So if we are talking strictly data and not realizing what our eyes see, maybe not your eyes but what others do see, strictly data would say Jalen simply needs to shoot more to make you happy? Hey, I agree, I want Jalen to shoot more to and realize he needs the minutes to allow that. Data says Jalen shot 53% from trey this past season, data says that 53% holds no matter the minutes, remember we talking about just data, data says that 53% hold no matter how many shots he takes. You let me know when you want to ease back on data and trust eyes more. Unlike some, I actually have to watch a game to see how it was played, I can't just look at the stat sheet after a game and understand how it was played.

Data is a valuable tool, would never say it isn't but it is not the end all, it is just a tool, it's results are the suggestive part that gets skewed. The question is never what the data says, it is always why the data says it. You say data is data, no, it is data is ONLY data, it is the human component that matters.

I'm going on the best data available. You are dismissing the best data available.

We're both guessing - because, as you say, the sample size is small - but I'm comfortable being on the side of the data.

Consider, last season Seth got his minutes at the 2 and the 3, most from the 2 when Cadeau sat and RJ moved to the point.
Seth needs to be good enough at PG to back up Elliot this season. Keep RJ at SG for most of his minutes.

The question is, can Seth be that good at PG - or do we have to play RJ at point when Cadeau is on the bench?

Unlike you, I don't mind RJ at point. But I don't think it's the best way to use him.

Then again, we haven't put that to a hard test. Assuming Elliot and Seth are both improved, this is the season when we may be able to test the theory that it's best to keep RJ at SG.

Seth needs to be good enough at PG to back up Elliot this season. Keep RJ at SG for most of his minutes.

The question is, can Seth be that good at PG - or do we have to play RJ at point when Cadeau is on the bench?

Unlike you, I don't mind RJ at point. But I don't think it's the best way to use him.

Then again, we haven't put that to a hard test. Assuming Elliot and Seth are both improved, this is the season when we may be able to test the theory that it's best to keep RJ at SG.
Can Seth be that good a PG, after 2 seasons with us maybe it is past time we find out? LOL

Personally, I am not sold on Seth handles, I like his decision making but I could see team after team pressing Seth when he is at the point. FYI, I hear Seth got some feed back just like that from at least 1 program he was interested in. Make no mistake, Seth can defend 1-3 better than anyone else we have, could well be one of if not the best 1-2 defender in the country. He has in a way become a more athletic Kenny Williams.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Omoruyi has tentatively scheduled to visit UNC on May 2nd
Reminds me of Withers. Probably an upgrade: bigger, better on D, not as good on O. That's not a knock, because I like Withers. Omorui would be a good addition, but might not be the home run some are picturing.

jmo

Last edited:
Reminds me of Withers. Probably an upgrade: bigger, better on D, not as good on O. That's not a knock, because I like Withers. Omorui would be a good addition, but might not be the home run some are picturing.

jmo
I like Omoruyi a ton because he is a 7ft solid above the rim physically strong athletic freak! It looks like our starting back court next season will be the same as last season with Cadeau and RJ and Omoruyi is one of those guys that either blocks shots or alters them, that was not really Bacot's game. That radically changes us defensively. On the offensive end, have to realize, he will be found at all times either in or very near the paint. But he does not finess anything, he has the power and the build to flush everything he catches and usually does. Free throws at just over 61% is a problem. He is just the kind of guy that can cover so many guard mistakes, really important with our small guards.

I honestly would LOVE to pair him with Stewart duke kid more than Therio, Therio strikes me as Jwit II? Stewart is a freak athlete at 6'9" with a ton of upside, I wish Therio jump shot better.

I'm going on the best data available. You are dismissing the best data available.

We're both guessing - because, as you say, the sample size is small - but I'm comfortable being on the side
I needed some profs back in the day to extrapolate my eventual grade after a few easy early tests and declare me Summa Cum Laude….dang it.

Last edited:

I admit, I do have a negative bias toward RJ as a PG, I just can't forget his first 3 seasons as our PG, no matter how much I want to. Call it personal bias that has me some what jaded.

Can Seth be that good a PG, after 2 seasons with us maybe it is past time we find out? LOL

Personally, I am not sold on Seth handles, I like his decision making but I could see team after team pressing Seth when he is at the point. FYI, I hear Seth got some feed back just like that from at least 1 program he was interested in. Make no mistake, Seth can defend 1-3 better than anyone else we have, could well be one of if not the best 1-2 defender in the country. He has in a way become a more athletic Kenny Williams.
Agree. His ball handling is average.

So if we are talking strictly data and not realizing what our eyes see, maybe not your eyes but what others do see, strictly data would say Jalen simply needs to shoot more to make you happy? Hey, I agree, I want Jalen to shoot more to and realize he needs the minutes to allow that. Data says Jalen shot 53% from trey this past season, data says that 53% holds no matter the minutes, remember we talking about just data, data says that 53% hold no matter how many shots he takes. You let me know when you want to ease back on data and trust eyes more. Unlike some, I actually have to watch a game to see how it was played, I can't just look at the stat sheet after a game and understand how it was played.

Data is a valuable tool, would never say it isn't but it is not the end all, it is just a tool, it's results are the suggestive part that gets skewed. The question is never what the data says, it is always why the data says it. You say data is data, no, it is data is ONLY data, it is the human component that matters.
Jalen is 8-22 career in 3s. He made half of those in 2 blowout wins. Look, I never thought I’d be making an argument for Filipowski of all players ever, but Jalen doesn’t have the body of work to demonstrate he is a superior shooter. So we differ, and that’s cool.

Dickinson returning to Kansas. They are going to be loaded and the favorites to cut down the nets IMO.

Reminds me of Withers.
He's nothing like Withers.

Omoruyi is 6'11" with a 7"6.5" wingspan and a 9'2.5" standing reach. He was Big Ten defensive player of the year. He averaged 3 blocks per game in 27 mpg. He only attempted 5 3-point shots all of last season. He's strictly a paint player and he tries to dunk everything. He's a Haywood/Henson type player, but more athletic than both. He had more dunks in one game than Withers had all season. He'd probably be the best center in the ACC if he came here.

Withers is 6'7", athletic, constantly tries to face up and be a perimeter forward. He can block shots as a weak side shot blocker and help defender, but he's not stopping anyone as a primary defender. He's certainly not intimidating anyone with his presence in the paint. He's a backup big.

This might sound crazy, but I don't think Seth realizes how athletic he is.

I like Omoruyi a ton because he is a 7ft solid above the rim physically strong athletic freak! It looks like our starting back court next season will be the same as last season with Cadeau and RJ and Omoruyi is one of those guys that either blocks shots or alters them, that was not really Bacot's game. That radically changes us defensively. On the offensive end, have to realize, he will be found at all times either in or very near the paint. But he does not finess anything, he has the power and the build to flush everything he catches and usually does. Free throws at just over 61% is a problem. He is just the kind of guy that can cover so many guard mistakes, really important with our small guards.

I honestly would LOVE to pair him with Stewart duke kid more than Therio, Therio strikes me as Jwit II? Stewart is a freak athlete at 6'9" with a ton of upside, I wish Therio jump shot better.
Are we interested in Stewart? I agree with you that we should be, but I haven't seen any suggestion that we are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT