ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

OK, so, I had to go back and re-read what I posted to see where I indicated Hawkins would play the 5 for us, I didn't and didn't think I had but had to make sure after reading your reply? Hawkins is not a 5, I did not, I have not, I shall not consider him as a 5, not sure how I can be more clear than that. Yes, absolutely, Lubin would be my back up 5 iof we got Hawkins, if we got Oyensea then Lubin would be my likely starting 4 with JWit backing him up.

30min a game average players, for me right now does not include Jalen, JWit, or Oyensea (I see them as much closer to 20min, maybe more high teens a game guys than 30). 15min a game players in my view for now does not include High or Green, not sure I would see them as 5min guys just yet, have to see how High develops this off season but he has a LONG way to go to justify 15ns in my opinion..

I do think RJ minutes do need to come down some but I have consistently shared that I don't think we need any player playing over 25mins a game, I would double down on that for our back court next season but it does depend more now on our getting 2 more solid front court guys, 2 of Lubin, Hawkins, Oyensea (but not limited to just those 3, some other names may well apply).
I saw no mention of Oyenesa in your post. I will look back. I had responded to the earlier post that I thought Hawkins would be battling with Withers as more a 3/4 type as opposed to any 5 talk, where I think Washington will only be. Lubin is with Washington in the possible minute allotments in my opinion if both he and Hawkins were landed, Lubin also is able to play 4, but if only those 2 are added I think he has to play 5 in his minutes with the roster makeup. Withers and Hawkins do not fit the 5.

That is where my mistake was in missing your counting Oyensea coming in with those two in the hypothetical minute talk and if not Withers and Lubin being just the "bigs" backups.

I get your concerns but you do know that RJ scored inside the 3 point line with the second most baskets only to Bacot. Half an assist behind EC all the while playing the two when EC is in the game. You better wish for EC to get his shot down and if that happens they will roll like never before.
RJ's floater was very good, and much improved, hopefully Cadeau is working with him on that as well. Cadeau is not as undersized as RJ, but not a big guard to finish at the rim as his only shot weapon, his floater was on par with his jumper, even when given it against Syracuse and their zone.

On the one hand Hawkins responded. On the other, the emoji could be interpreted as dismissive.

At least he knows UNC fans are interested. I wonder if our coaches have touched base with him. They can do that, right?
I think his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd preference is to get some favorable feedback from the Association and remain in the draft. I would guess the door is ajar, but not open quite yet.

I think his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd preference is to get some favorable feedback from the Association and remain in the draft. I would guess the door is ajar, but not open quite yet.
Per ESPN

Coleman Hawkins (No. 11): Another late portal entry, Hawkins will attend the NBA draft combine and has said he's focused on going pro but has still left the door open. Has already been linked to a number of schools, including North Carolina, Louisville and Arkansas.

Per ESPN

No. 10 Arizona Wildcats: Tommy Lloyd accounted for Caleb Love potentially staying in the NBA draft by getting a commitment this week from Campbell scorer Anthony Dell'Orso.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I saw no mention of Oyenesa in your post. I will look back. I had responded to the earlier post that I thought Hawkins would be battling with Withers as more a 3/4 type as opposed to any 5 talk, where I think Washington will only be. Lubin is with Washington in the possible minute allotments in my opinion if both he and Hawkins were landed, Lubin also is able to play 4, but if only those 2 are added I think he has to play 5 in his minutes with the roster makeup. Withers and Hawkins do not fit the 5.

That is where my mistake was in missing your counting Oyensea coming in with those two in the hypothetical minute talk and if not Withers and Lubin being just the "bigs" backups.
Yeah, it gets a little confusing when we start off with what if this or that guy comes in, the combinations change depending on who we do get to come in. If able to pick 2 more guys from the portal right now, my top choice would be Lubin and Oyenesa and the one that would cause many to disagree would be my taking Oyenesa over Hawkins, I can absolutely understand folks not being in agreement with that, it is a hard call for me to. Hawkins is the more talented guy of the 3 and he is 6'10" but I look at our 4 spot right now we have JWit who I think has more than we saw last season. I look at the potential of getting Lubin who I see as a really steady guy, I like AJ's compare of him to Garrison Brooks, not spectacular but the kind of blue collar guy all teams need. Those 2 would make my consideration of our 4 spot pretty darn solid with the versatility of both having played the 5 in the past is a nice bonus.

PLease note, I AM NOT CALLING any of these 3 guys to UNC as a done deal, I am just speculating on guys we may have a shot at.

Oyensea gives us the 1 thing this team does not have, that broad shoulders 7ft 250lb defensive presence in the paint that intimidates shots, I think we need that having small guards in RJ & Cadeau. Hawkins gives us a better version of what we already have, Oyensea gives us something we don't have but need.

Last edited:
Yeah, it gets a little confusing when we start off with what if this or that guy comes in, the combinations change depending on who we do get to come in. If able to pick 2 more guys from the portal right now, my top choice would be Lubin and Oyenesa and the one that would cause many to disagree would be my taking Oyenesa over Hawkins, I can absolutely understand folks not being in agreement with that, it is a hard call for me to. Hawkins is the more talented guy of the 3 and he is 6'10" but I look at our 4 spot right now we have JWit who I think has more than we saw last season. I look at the potential of getting Lubin who I see as a really steady guy, I like AJ's compare of him to Garrison Brooks, not spectacular but the kind of blue collar guy all teams need. Those 2 would make my consideration of our 4 spot pretty darn solid with the versatility of both having played the 5 in the past is a nice bonus.

PLease note, I AM NOT CALLING any of these 3 guys to UNC as a done deal, I am just speculating on guys we may have a shot at.

Oyensea gives us the 1 thing this team does not have, that broad shoulders 7ft 250lb defensive presence in the paint that intimidates shots, I think we need that having small guards in RJ & Cadeau. Hawkins gives us a better version of what we already have, Oyensea gives us something we don't have but need.
Please excuse my lack of knowledge (and laziness in not wanting to do the research), but how does he (Oyensea) do in defending the PNR? With a LOT of bigs developing shooting chops out to and including the 3, if I were opposing coach, I would run him out there until he dropped or fouled out!

I'm not saying I don't want him but many of us have concerns with JWash's D and lack of mobility, seems like any armchair coach (like me) might be able to come up with a plan to neutralize Oyensea's biggest attribute by not allowing him to camp out and patrol the lane.

Last edited:
Please excuse my lack of knowledge (and laziness in not wanting to do the research), but how does he (Oyensea) do in defending the PNR? With a LOT of bigs developing shooting chops out to and including the 3, if I were opposing coach, I would run him out there until he dropped or fouled out!

I'm not saying I don't want him but many of us have concerns with JWash's D and lack of mobility, seems like any armchair coach (like me) might be able to come up with a plan to neutralize Oyensea's biggest attribute by not allowing him to camp out and patrol the lane.
His defense of the P&R marginally better than Jalen but keep in mind, kid was a soph and his coach was Calipari, not a coach you expect to see kids develop under. It is a strong point that if we get him that if there is no defensive improvement from BOTH he and Jalen we could have some trouble at the 5. I felt all season, Jalen's struggles to defend were more technique than physical limitation, teachable issues, I think Oyenesa is similar to that. Both need lot of S/C work.

His defense of the P&R marginally better than Jalen but keep in mind, kid was a soph and his coach was Calipari, not a coach you expect to see kids develop under. It is a strong point that if we get him that if there is no defensive improvement from BOTH he and Jalen we could have some trouble at the 5. I felt all season, Jalen's struggles to defend were more technique than physical limitation, teachable issues, I think Oyenesa is similar to that. Both need lot of S/C work.
Kinda why I lean (slightly) towards Hawkins over Oyensea. I like the versatility Hawkins provides by pairing with JWash, Lubin or JWit. Gives us another +shooter to open the lane for the strength of our team (1-3).

Ugonna Onyenso, Baba Miller, and Arthur Kaluma were not called up to the NBA Combine. So that's 3 big men who may very well pull out of the NBA draft and focus on finding a transfer school.

Caleb Love is another guy who was at the G League Camp and didn't receive a Combine invite. Will be interesting to see if he returns to Arizona or continues to stay in the draft.

Will we ever see a revolt by the kids on teams who aren't getting their beaks wet? I mean maybe the worst starter isn't worth six figures, but how does it feel when the team pays that (or more) to get top guys from the portal and you - an important part of the team - are getting little or nothing?

Could we see college players' unions in the near future?

8 teams (Notre Dame), during the Thanksgiving week, will play in Las Vegas. This event will also include $1 million NIL payouts for eight participating schools. Dookie and Cuse have signed up to play in 2025 when the field goes to 16 teams. No conference teams will play against each other.
No UNC mentioned-looks like UNC missed this opportunity to get NIL money.

8 teams (Notre Dame), during the Thanksgiving week, will play in Las Vegas. This event will also include $1 million NIL payouts for eight participating schools. Dookie and Cuse have signed up to play in 2025 when the field goes to 16 teams. No conference teams will play against each other.
Dook doesn't need extra nil money.. nba & nike pumping dook with $$$$$

I’m not well-versed in NIL or its workings, but couldn't UNC forge a partnership with MJ and Nike to establish UNC as the leading hub for Name, Image, and Likeness opportunities in college basketball?

OR UNC has other plans that are equally lucrative and/or more important for helping coach up the team. It is patently silly to keep pushing the false and totally evidence free narrative that UNC's NIL is lacking! I think it far more likely that UNC just refuses to outbid peeps for mercenaries, instead trying to find peeps who actually care about team and winning!

Kinda why I lean (slightly) towards Hawkins over Oyensea. I like the versatility Hawkins provides by pairing with JWash, Lubin or JWit. Gives us another +shooter to open the lane for the strength of our team (1-3).
I can absolutely understand that, I am very slighty on the Oyense side of that only because as I have shared many times, I am a big guy fan, size matters and size, girth is so far non-existant on our team for next season, Oyense would give us that. I look at this team and feel, we can get by at the 4, worst case, I don't think we can make it with just Jalen at the 5, we must shore that position up, Lubin would help that but still, he is 6'8". When you have Hawkins and Oyense both trying to be in the next draft, I think clearly Oyense plays college ball next season, Hawkins feels a little bit Nance like in that I think in the end he pulls out of the draft but I don't know if the risk of waiting on him is the best move, if Lubin is ready to pop I think we have to take him even if it removes us from Hawkins. I would love to see another visit set for later this week. I have a real concern that Hawkins may end up back at Ill.

I can absolutely understand that, I am very slighty on the Oyense side of that only because as I have shared many times, I am a big guy fan, size matters and size, girth is so far non-existant on our team for next season, Oyense would give us that. I look at this team and feel, we can get by at the 4, worst case, I don't think we can make it with just Jalen at the 5, we must shore that position up, Lubin would help that but still, he is 6'8". When you have Hawkins and Oyense both trying to be in the next draft, I think clearly Oyense plays college ball next season, Hawkins feels a little bit Nance like in that I think in the end he pulls out of the draft but I don't know if the risk of waiting on him is the best move, if Lubin is ready to pop I think we have to take him even if it removes us from Hawkins. I would love to see another visit set for later this week. I have a real concern that Hawkins may end up back at Ill.
If we get Hawkins, we can afford to get Onyenso. We won't need him to be a big time scorer, and can benefit from his size and D.

If we don't get Hawkins, are we sure we have enough scoring to justify having a low-scoring center?

We know RJ can score from deep. I don't expect 46% from Cade, but I do expect solid scoring from deep from him. Who else?

Withers could regain his shooting touch, but who knows?

Seth had a good percentage last year, but no confidence. Sort of like Leaky. He could hit them, but he didn't command respect - even from himself. Will he have that confidence this year?

Cadeau has never been noted for his outside shooting. He needs to step up enough to keep them honest, but we can't count on him for meaningful outside production.

I never like to depend on freshmen to be good outside shooters.

SO . . . with Hawkins, we can afford Onyenso. Otherwise we should go harder for Lubin.

The problem, of course, is that Hawkins may stay in the draft.

My top priority right now would be Lubin.

Three of the last 5 commits to show up on On3 are foreigners: Ukraine, Poland, Scotland.

I didn't realize that foreigners could enter the portal. How does the portal work for them?

Lubin only or Lubin and Onyenso IMO! I am a little wary about Hawkins because I did not like the tenor of his now deleted post! I believe he would not fit our team's culture. Hawkins is the most skilled of the three, but I don't want to wait and I think the others fit better! The team will have plenty of scoring and with either Lubin, O or both, we will have added interior D and rebounding!

Since I believe we can contend as currently constituted, I see UNC in a no-lose position!

Reactions: DSouthr
The Heels will be in Hawaii

OR UNC has other plans that are equally lucrative and/or more important for helping coach up the team. It is patently silly to keep pushing the false and totally evidence free narrative that UNC's NIL is lacking! I think it far more likely that UNC just refuses to outbid peeps for mercenaries, instead trying to find peeps who actually care about team and winning!
Hawaii

Thanks B! I knew it made no sense to assume UNC dropped the ball. I don't understand UNC "fans" who always assume the worst even when there is no evidence! The 50 years of evidence I have seen as a UNC fan tell me that UNC will find a way to be successful no matter what the climate is!

Reactions: BCox83
Wonder if we might kick the tires on Noah Waterman who just entered the portal. 6'11" big whose primary skill is 3pt shooting.

I wil throw a name out there that I do think could come in and accept a back up 5 roll and maybe fit as good if not better than Oyense, Willaim Patterson, was freshman at Syracuse last season, 7'1" 220lbs, really raw but could help us as he develops. How about Josh Gray, 7'0" 255lbs super senior, played for Gamecocks last season.

I just read a report from 24/7 regarding Hawkins....frankly he has ZERO interest in college bball....he says so himself. I just want no part of him at all...may be a good player..butbhis attitude and interest at this point are terrible as far as playing college ball

I just read a report from 24/7 regarding Hawkins....frankly he has ZERO interest in college bball....he says so himself. I just want no part of him at all...may be a good player..butbhis attitude and interest at this point are terrible as far as playing college ball
It was a public interview for a NBA job. He was trying to convey to potential employers how serious he was about the job. If you only knew how many Carolina players you previously cheered for that wanted to be in the NBA instead of college...

You shouldn’t be give Seth 10 minutes at PG with RJ at the 2
I'm not saying Seth is a better or lesser pg than RJ but as a general rule RJ turns UNC in to a half court set play type team and that didn't bode well last season and it won't this season either. I just think Seth is much quicker to the basket and would not be looking for "his shot" first and foremost and would be more likely to involve others. jmo

Wonder if we might kick the tires on Noah Waterman who just entered the portal. 6'11" big whose primary skill is 3pt shooting.
38.9% from deep for his career. Only one bad year.

Career 56.6% from 2pt range (63.2% last season). Somewhat erratic from FT over his career, but 80.7% last year.

I didn't see any highlight reels for him.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT