ADVERTISEMENT

2025 recruiting....

Hopefully football game experiences play no role in Dybsanta's decision 🙄

Alabama beats Georgia in an incredible game on his visit and we poop the bed, giving up 70 to JMU.
I’ve got a lot of friends who went to the game last night and it was great. Crowd was crazy. I’m not a fan of either team but still enjoy a good game of course. Without a doubt it was a perfect atmosphere to take in as a recruit.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Isiah Denis recapped his visit. He said something that caught my eye. He was told that we are only taking 3 HS kids. Him or Mullins and a forward. That a bold strategy to rely on the portal for the rest.

Once again, I love the honesty from Hubs! I know many programs would simply keep kids on the hook just in case, but we tell them the truth! It also turns up the heat so a kid on the fence might be encouraged to jump now before they lose such a great opportunity!

Tough choice between Mullins and Denis as both have the skill to really help a program! I would be thrilled to get either one, but I hold out hope we can find room for both if they are interested! I am intrigued by what Hubs clearly knows about either the portal or the current players!

Reactions: gthreadgill7929
Isiah Denis recapped his visit. He said something that caught my eye. He was told that we are only taking 3 HS kids. Him or Mullins and a forward. That a bold strategy to rely on the portal for the rest.
I would like to be much more sold on Dennis than I am, I am very sold on Mullins and Dawkins. This looks like it is going to be a small class for us, 3, maybe 4 if something huge happens. Simply put, if I take Dawkins then I don't take Denis. Considering how Hubert's offense is built around jump shooting, I just place a huge priority on one of if not the best shooter in this class in Mullins. My concern is that Denis seems to be looking to commit BEFORE Mullins does, really hope Mullins shortens his commit date time line so that he commits before Denis.

I would like to be much more sold on Dennis than I am, I am very sold on Mullins and Dawkins. This looks like it is going to be a small class for us, 3, maybe 4 if something huge happens. Simply put, if I take Dawkins then I don't take Denis. Considering how Hubert's offense is built around jump shooting, I just place a huge priority on one of if not the best shooter in this class in Mullins. My concern is that Denis seems to be looking to commit BEFORE Mullins does, really hope Mullins shortens his commit date time line so that he commits before Denis.
I agree 100% I hesitated to put my actual preference since I never want to make recruits feel they are a 2nd choice! I believe Hubs clearly values shooting and seems to be looking for + size for positions! I'm hoping we have room for 4 HS prospects, and I don't see a downside to any combination of 3-4 of our best prospects!

Who is Dawkins? That’s a name I have missed in our recruiting.

Honestly I don't know much about Denis but I do love the idea of Mullins and his shooting chops.

I haven't heard anything about a commitment date or perceived leader from the Mullins camp.

Complete speculation, but is it possible we have a couple guys planning on returning?
The reason Coach Davis is no longer looking for a big high school class is basically due to diminishing returns. He knows we may have as many as 8 or 9 scholarships to fill before the '25-'26 season starts. He knows we'll need several immediate impact players. That's why he offered half the recruits in the top 30. But as time has passed it has become more and more likely that we won't land any of those immediate impact recruits who could start or carry a huge load as freshmen. So then a decision has to be made. Do we continue offering lower ranked kids, or do we bet the house on finding most of what we need in the transfer portal? This is where Coach Davis has learned a lesson from guys like Dunn, Styles, Nickel, Shaver, and High. These lower ranked recruits are unlikely to play much as underclassmen, and there's a strong possibility they won't even be on our roster by the time they are upperclassmen. So what's really the point of spending time recruiting guys ranked that low?

Of course the big issue still remains NIL. That's why we struck out on the transfer market this summer. That's why we're striking out on elite recruits in the class of 2025. Something major has to change with our NIL if we're going to succeed in filling out our roster with elite transfer options next summer.

What I find most interesting is we appear to have completely given up on pursuing a center in the high school class of 2025. We offered 7-footers Malachi Moreno and Eric Reibe, tried to recruit them, and even got Moreno to schedule a visit. But since both passed on UNC, we don't appear to even be seriously looking at any other 2025 centers. We also recruited Julius Halaifonua and would have taken him in the 2024 or 2025 class depending on his reclass decision. So the staff has definitely reset their recruiting goals and are going all-in on the transfer portal to deliver a UNC caliber team in '25-'26.

The reason Coach Davis is no longer looking for a big high school class is basically due to diminishing returns. He knows we may have as many as 8 or 9 scholarships to fill before the '25-'26 season starts. He knows we'll need several immediate impact players. That's why he offered half the recruits in the top 30. But as time has passed it has become more and more likely that we won't land any of those immediate impact recruits who could start or carry a huge load as freshmen. So then a decision has to be made. Do we continue offering lower ranked kids, or do we bet the house on finding most of what we need in the transfer portal? This is where Coach Davis has learned a lesson from guys like Dunn, Styles, Nickel, Shaver, and High. These lower ranked recruits are unlikely to play much as underclassmen, and there's a strong possibility they won't even be on our roster by the time they are upperclassmen. So what's really the point of spending time recruiting guys ranked that low?

Of course the big issue still remains NIL. That's why we struck out on the transfer market this summer. That's why we're striking out on elite recruits in the class of 2025. Something major has to change with our NIL if we're going to succeed in filling out our roster with elite transfer options next summer.

What I find most interesting is we appear to have completely given up on pursuing a center in the high school class of 2025. We offered 7-footers Malachi Moreno and Eric Reibe, tried to recruit them, and even got Moreno to schedule a visit. But since both passed on UNC, we don't appear to even be seriously looking at any other 2025 centers. We also recruited Julius Halaifonua and would have taken him in the 2024 or 2025 class depending on his reclass decision. So the staff has definitely reset their recruiting goals and are going all-in on the transfer portal to deliver a UNC caliber team in '25-'26.
Dawg I didn’t need a novel. Skip.

• Haha
Honestly I don't know much about Denis but I do love the idea of Mullins and his shooting chops.

I haven't heard anything about a commitment date or perceived leader from the Mullins camp.
Mullins still has a tentative visit scheduled for 10/25 that had not been dropped last I heard. There was some speculation that Denis "could" have committed on his visit (did not happen BTW). I think Mullins is looking at his commit date to be around 11/7. Mullins has seemed pretty public that he is down to a final 3 of Indiana, UConn, and us and says it is a dead heat between the 3.

Now Mullins, before visiting us seemed to be leaning to UConn but things seemed to really change in a big way following his visit to us, all the sudden he was cancelling set visits, cancelled them all except the one to Indiana that just was going to happen and the Ky visit that most feel will not happen. He visits IU the weekend after he visited us and is talking that UNC is still VERY much in this, very different tone that prior to his visit to us. I do think that UConn slipped, maybe to the 3rd spot. Now a kid that was expected, 5 star kid, to commit to Indiana ended up picking ND, him to Indiana would not have hurt our chances at all for Mullins to UNC. Of course IU being his home state school really helps IU, I think it helps them just enough to tilt things to them. But would offer that Mullins should know and have known all the needed about Indiana well before his visit, his visit to UNC was about learning about what he didn't know and came away from it extremely impressed, I would suggest much more impressed than he expected. I expect it to be Indiana by the smallest margin over UNC and both over UConn but we will just have to wait and see. Hubert is clearly treating Mullins as a very high priority recruit and I do think Mullins feels that.

• Love
Mullins still has a tentative visit scheduled for 10/25 that had not been dropped last I heard. There was some speculation that Denis "could" have committed on his visit (did not happen BTW). I think Mullins is looking at his commit date to be around 11/7. Mullins has seemed pretty public that he is down to a final 3 of Indiana, UConn, and us and says it is a dead heat between the 3.

Now Mullins, before visiting us seemed to be leaning to UConn but things seemed to really change in a big way following his visit to us, all the sudden he was cancelling set visits, cancelled them all except the one to Indiana that just was going to happen and the Ky visit that most feel will not happen. He visits IU the weekend after he visited us and is talking that UNC is still VERY much in this, very different tone that prior to his visit to us. I do think that UConn slipped, maybe to the 3rd spot. Now a kid that was expected, 5 star kid, to commit to Indiana ended up picking ND, him to Indiana would not have hurt our chances at all for Mullins to UNC. Of course IU being his home state school really helps IU, I think it helps them just enough to tilt things to them. But would offer that Mullins should know and have known all the needed about Indiana well before his visit, his visit to UNC was about learning about what he didn't know and came away from it extremely impressed, I would suggest much more impressed than he expected. I expect it to be Indiana by the smallest margin over UNC and both over UConn but we will just have to wait and see. Hubert is clearly treating Mullins as a very high priority recruit and I do think Mullins feels that.
It doesn’t matter if Hubert treats him as a high priority. NIL packages are how you show a recruit how much of a priority they are. If the money offer isn’t competitive than Hubert won’t matter. This Goes for every single recruit.

Reactions: DaveChapelle
Recruits love Hubert. If this was 4 years ago and NIL didn't exist, our 2025 class would be amazing.
We secured the number one recruit in GG for the 23 class..followed that up with an amazing 24 class in which cadeau was supposed to be in.. transfer portal was pretty good to us also.. what's the complaining about!?!.. we are definitely a spoiled bunch!!

We secured the number one recruit in GG for the 23 class..followed that up with an amazing 24 class in which cadeau was supposed to be in.. transfer portal was pretty good to us also.. what's the complaining about!?!.. we are definitely a spoiled bunch!!
We struck out on the 2024 transfer portal due to NIL, leaving us with a weak front court. We're likely going to have 8-9 scholarships available for the '25 high school recruiting class and the transfer portal. The staff was trying for a tremendous recruiting class to help replace all the talent we're going to lose. They offered about half of the top 30 recruits. As of now the most likely outcome is we are going to miss on every single top 30 recruit because of NIL. There is a very real possibility the 2025-2026 UNC basketball team will have zero 5-star recruits and zero McDonald's All Americans for the first time since the 1970s (when the McD Game didn't exist.)

Also, we definitely didn't "secure" GG Jackson. But that's another story.

what’s the IU NIL number being thrown around for Mullins? 1.5 mil?
I don 't know what NIL number is being tagged for Mullins, my guess would be maybe 1.2 so your 1.5 seems reasonable. I don't get the sense that his decision revolves around money as much as it does his loving where he plays, who his coaches are, and how he bonds with his team mates. His final 3 is IU, UNC, UConn, not exactly who I think of when it comes to out bidding for a player.

It doesn’t matter if Hubert treats him as a high priority. NIL packages are how you show a recruit how much of a priority they are. If the money offer isn’t competitive than Hubert won’t matter. This Goes for every single recruit.
It matters very much how strong a priority a kid feels he is to a program, I double down on that for a kid not considered to be 1 and done, I don't see Mullins as a for sure 1&Done, he could be for sure but he would have to play himself in to that.

I think you are confusing love with respect, it may be considered as a sign of dis-respect if a program does not offer at least in the ball park of what a kid can demand. Example, Dybantsa, word is he has been offered 4mil, rumor is that is from BYU. I keep hearing that UNC is coming in around 2mil. Hearing that the kid and his parents would prefer to leave the state of Utah and UNC hit it out of the park on their visit. So where does he end up, I think Kansas and Bama are willing to write big checks and after the smoke clears, he commits to Kansas for less than the BYU offer but well more than UNC will stroke the check for (watch out for Baylor as well). If it were not about NIL money, the kid may be a lock solid lock for us right now and he isn't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT