ADVERTISEMENT

A Fedora disciple...

keysersosay#1

Hall of Famer
Apr 7, 2006
Has lost the faith. I can no longer give excuses for this team and these coaches..
It is shocking how poorly disciplined this team is...we all know the drill here and I will not repeat all the mistakes we have grown to EXPECT from the football team/
I believe the time has come for a head coaching change.... maybe not mid season but certainly at the end

If a solid replacement can be found the time to act is now. If they find one tonight Fed should get sacked tomorrow morning. I realize it will take longer than that but at this point the only parameter that should dictate "when" to change is how soon a decent replacement becomes available.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Has lost the faith. I can no longer give excuses for this team and these coaches..
It is shocking how poorly disciplined this team is...we all know the drill here and I will not repeat all the mistakes we have grown to EXPECT from the football team/
I believe the time has come for a head coaching change.... maybe not mid season but certainly at the end
Welcome aboard.

I was demanding that Bunting be fired by the middle of year 3. He lasted 6 and did much more than twice the damage that Torbush did.

However it happened, Fedora shot his wad. It aint comin back.

Agreed.

And a better HC & Staff should not be an aspiring Div. II group.
We already have that in house.

If a solid replacement can be found the time to act is now. If they find one tonight Fed should get sacked tomorrow morning. I realize it will take longer than that but at this point the only parameter that should dictate "when" to change is how soon a decent replacement becomes available.
You're not going to find a solid replacement until the end of the year unless you think that replacement is already on this staff.

Reactions: mosesm
He doesn't necessarily need to be gone as soon as possible. I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel for this year either way. So if he wants to hang around, or if they want to name an interim for the rest of the year doesn't matter. Just a clear message that he is gone. And that seems to be the norm lately in the college game. Once things go south, you be the first in line in chasing available coaches.

It all started going south for him on that Thursday night game in Durham two years ago. I'm finally at the point where I just no longer care. He can stay or go. It just doesn't seem to matter. We bring in any new guy and we still will be a mediocre program.

I, too, cut the cord and wasn’t able to watch the game - thankfully! I followed online as long as I could, but I had to stop.

Well, at least my kid enjoyed the game. He’s a freshman at ECU and, even though he’s a die hard Tar Heel fan, he’s soaking up college life.

I wanted Fed to succeed, but I think it has become pretty obvious he isn’t the coach to take UNC football to where we all want it to be. Suspensions aside, there is NO excuse for today’s performance. The talent is there, but for whatever reason, this team just isn’t able to put it together. Since this isn’t the first time we’ve seen it, the only common denominator is the head coach. Assistants have changed, players have changed, but the play on the field hasn’t.

I hate it, but a change has to happen. Not much point in doing it immediately, but when the season is done, we need to find someone who will turn the program around.

JMHO

Reactions: Archer2
You're not going to find a solid replacement until the end of the year unless you think that replacement is already on this staff.
Who knows. Perhaps Bob Stoops wants back in the game. I think he clearly needed a break, especially from OU fans not happy with 10 Big 12 championships in 18 years and only 1 National Championship. But he is only 58, or even 57, and could want another job.

Let me just say this and I’ve waited a few hours to even post to cool off after the game but today was a one of those all time lows in unc football. To not only lose but to lose with such terrible talent on the field, terrible play calling and absolutely zero discipline is just unacceptable. I’m not a huge fan of firing mid season but I also think there may be some inherent value in firing him right now to send the message to the college football community that bubba and team won’t tolerate this shit and is looking for a talented coach to right the ship. Sadly, with or without Fedora we are staring at a few win season at best so why not cut his ass loose. He’s such a cocky piece of shit anyways that you aren’t going to get any acknowledgement or ownership from him on how bad we are. That in itself is the deal breaker for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyinVA
I, too, cut the cord and wasn’t able to watch the game - thankfully! I followed online as long as I could, but I had to stop.

Well, at least my kid enjoyed the game. He’s a freshman at ECU and, even though he’s a die hard Tar Heel fan, he’s soaking up college life.

I wanted Fed to succeed, but I think it has become pretty obvious he isn’t the coach to take UNC football to where we all want it to be. Suspensions aside, there is NO excuse for today’s performance. The talent is there, but for whatever reason, this team just isn’t able to put it together. Since this isn’t the first time we’ve seen it, the only common denominator is the head coach. Assistants have changed, players have changed, but the play on the field hasn’t.

I hate it, but a change has to happen. Not much point in doing it immediately, but when the season is done, we need to find someone who will turn the program around.

JMHO

LJ, I actually strongly disagree with the assessment that the talent is there. It simply is not, at all. That’s the scary part. We have a shitty coach but marginal talent across the board.

Who knows. Perhaps Bob Stoops wants back in the game. I think he clearly needed a break, especially from OU fans not happy with 10 Big 12 championships in 18 years and only 1 National Championship. But he is only 58, or even 57, and could want another job.
Bubba can give him a call, but it's doubtful he'll come before the season is over.

LJ, I actually strongly disagree with the assessment that the talent is there. It simply is not, at all. That’s the scary part. We have a shitty coach but marginal talent across the board.
I believe we have more than enough talent to beat ECU and Cal. Clemson? No. There is enough talent on this team to be 2-0 at this point, IMHO.

Let me just say this and I’ve waited a few hours to even post to cool off after the game but today was a one of those all time lows in unc football. To not only lose but to lose with such terrible talent on the field, terrible play calling and absolutely zero discipline is just unacceptable. I’m not a huge fan of firing mid season but I also think there may be some inherent value in firing him right now to send the message to the college football community that bubba and team won’t tolerate this shit and is looking for a talented coach to right the ship. Sadly, with or without Fedora we are staring at a few win season at best so why not cut his ass loose. He’s such a cocky piece of shit anyways that you aren’t going to get any acknowledgement or ownership from him on how bad we are. That in itself is the deal breaker for me.
ECU was coming off 3-9 after coming off 3-9, and last week ECU lost to a 1AA team. ECU was at an all time low, until thrashing Fedora a 3rd time.

Problem is Bubba is awful too and I don't want anywhere near having a part in hiring the next coach.

Problem is Bubba is awful too and I don't want anywhere near having a part in hiring the next coach.
Bubba is very well respected across the nation as an AD. The Fedora hire was far from a bad one. It just did not work out long term as so many expected.

I believe we have more than enough talent to beat ECU and Cal. Clemson? No. There is enough talent on this team to be 2-0 at this point, IMHO.

I don’t disagree with that statement, however, even with those 2 wins, we are staring at 1-2 more at absolute best this year. 3-4 wins isn’t going to cut it. We are among the bottom 5 power 5 conf schools in talent.

I don’t disagree with that statement, however, even with those 2 wins, we are staring at 1-2 more at absolute best this year. 3-4 wins isn’t going to cut it. We are among the bottom 5 power 5 conf schools in talent.
I don’t know. I have seen other coaches take less talent and win. A good coach can bring the best out of kids who, on paper, can’t compete with a lot of teams, yet they find a way to win. A good coach can take mediocre talent, bring out the best in then and make a plan to beat whoever they are playing. Look at VT. They lost almost their entire defense and yet Bud Foster took what he had and made FSU look silly. I’m sorry, but Bud Foster could take our defense and make it a damn good one. Bare minimum it would be good enough to keep ECU fro laying 40+ on us.

The new coach wouldn’t start this year. Make Pap the intrim coach. And then go search. Put out feelers ect. And if we can find someone. We should announce it ASAP. Especially if we try to hire a big time coach. Might save or improve our recruiting class this year. Now if just going to hire a solid coach. Like the JMU coach. U can do it either way. But I think Fed needs to be fired now. I like Fed. And think he kept the program afloat during his time here. But maybe a new voice as head coach this year. Will help this team. And the kids may play even harder. Knowing that it is an they have to show on tape that they can play this game well.

Bubba can give him a call, but it's doubtful he'll come before the season is over.
No one will come before the season is over. That is twice I read that on the blitz side of the forum. I have never seen in football seen an outside coach take over during the season. Now I have seen a coach accept a job. And kind of watch the games at the stadium to evaluate and see what he already has here on campus. But never take over. A coach on staff would take over until the end of the season.

No one will come before the season is over. That is twice I read that on the blitz side of the forum. I have never seen in football seen an outside coach take over during the season. Now I have seen a coach accept a job. And kind of watch the games at the stadium to evaluate and see what he already has here on campus. But never take over. A coach on staff would take over until the end of the season.
Correct. We fired Bunting mid-season, and we had a verbal deal with Butch by Nov. 1, and it was made official in mid. Nov. But Butch did not take over until after the season.

I don’t think anybody expects a new coach to start mid seaso , that’s unheard of but there is Zero reason to keep Fedora around. None, zero, zilch.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I think what has to occur at this point is for the AD to begin a quiet search, to see who is interested and what it may take to make it happen. I don't want them to go public with that, keep it quiet until the end of the season and once you have an agreement in place you make the change within 48hrs of the season's end.

I do hate this wanted Fed to be successful for us because I do respect and appreciate how he stuck with us during the NCAA investigation, when he was able to get better, he stuck with us so respect for that. Honestly, he may be a fine coordinator but his decision making is really questionable at best. UNC can get a very good and proven head coach, they do not need to take the risk of a lower level guy maybe being good. But firing your current guy mid season does send a message to potential candidates that is not good. Let him finish this season, I assume he will and then make your decision known, plenty of time to line things up with another coach to step right in. You talk to coaches agents and you see the interest levels now and you broker a deal but keep things on the QT.

As big of a college football fan as I am I just have finally accepted what the rest of the country has known forever. And that is that we are a BASKETBALL school.

I've followed Heel football since the mid 70s. We have had a few moments in that span that really just teased us as fans but then the bottom always falls out again. I have finally accepted we will never be a consistent national power, reality is we aren't even a consistent threat in our own half of a relatively weak football conference.

It's just not going to happen. We are not unique in our predicament. While the Pack is fairly respectable at the moment they like us, Dook, Wake, ECU all have very low ceilings. It is what it is. I've been following for 45 years. I hate to say it but it's just not going to happen for Tar Heel football.

Yeah, the guy is brilliant. If we’d had him we’d still have our banner. NCAA =gutless weasels
I'm not 100% sure if you're trolling or not, but UL fans have always been pretty nice so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. They definitely shouldn't have taken your championship. That didn't make any sense.

As big of a college football fan as I am I just have finally accepted what the rest of the country has known forever. And that is that we are a BASKETBALL school.

I've followed Heel football since the mid 70s. We have had a few moments in that span that really just teased us as fans but then the bottom always falls out again. I have finally accepted we will never be a consistent national power, reality is we aren't even a consistent threat in our own half of a relatively weak football conference.

It's just not going to happen. We are not unique in our predicament. While the Pack is fairly respectable at the moment they like us, Dook, Wake, ECU all have very low ceilings. It is what it is. I've been following for 45 years. I hate to say it but it's just not going to happen for Tar Heel football.
It can, and it will under the right head coach. Fedora is not that HC.

I'm not 100% sure if you're trolling or not, but UL fans have always been pretty nice so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. They definitely shouldn't have taken your championship. That didn't make any sense.
Not trolling. Serious. You guys made a determined stand and the NCAA went running like the mutts they are. We bent over and took it with nary a peep of protest. UNC showed everybody how to deal with the NCAA.

It can, and it will under the right head coach. Fedora is not that HC.
UNC will ALWAYS be a "Basketball school." And, thank god for that! It's not easy to be known as a perennial threat in a big-name sport. Just ask 90% of the schools in the country.

I would much rather be able to enjoy the yearly success in one of them than have intermittent success in both.

UNC can be competitive in the conference and even make some noise nationally. But, the football program will never match, much less surpass, the basketball reputation. For one thing, football will not even be a sport in 20 years, maybe even less. So, you can keep hoping and dreaming, and that's fine. You're used to disappointment if you're still a Tar Heel football fan, so it won't be anything new for you! I can empathize.

I remember, as a kid, when things were a bit simpler I guess, UNC was more successful. At least, to ME, I remember them as more successful... then. When Dooley and Crum were the coaches I seem to recall better times. We weren't Nebraska or Ohio State, or Notre Dame. But, we were very competitive in the conference and frequently went to, and won, bowl games. College football has changed, of course.

Mack Brown took them the furthest. Since he left, 20 years ago, the 2015 was the only thing remotely close. And, that was obviously a lightning-in-a-bottle season that really ended in typical shit-the-bed fashion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT