ADVERTISEMENT

A (hopefully) public service post...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and well, we'll see.

My late mom was a Public Health Supervisor for what was then the fastest growing, and now one of the nation's most populous counties. When she first went back to work as a Public Health Nurse (after my dad passed away when I was a little kid), she was getting paid next to nothing. So when I was a Sophomore in HS, she (in mid-career) went to UVA for a year to finish her BSN, whilst I took care of the house and went back and forth to my Aunt and Uncle's place to get fed. Pardon me if I shed a little tear here, but I couldn't have been prouder of her, and I tutored her in the math for her science courses when she came home for the weekends.

Aftrer earning a promotion, when I was a college Freshman she got a grant from the State Health Dept. to go to Grad School, and earned a Masters (in Immunology and Epidemiology) from Johns Hopkins. Once again, when she came home for weekends I helped her with the math for her advanced science classes. Meanwhile, I was balancing taking care of the house while commuting to George Mason and playing basketball and baseball (I wasn't "gifted" enough to get a basketball scholly at my dream school --- UNC).

Anyway, here's the point: During all this I was exposed to the science behind Public Health, and when it comes to potential epidemics (or, God forbid, pandemics) much of it comes down to mathematics. IIRC, the benchmark the epidemioogy pros use is based on the "Naught" infected patient, and how many people that carrier could potentially infect. Some viruses are more infectious than others. For example, childhood diseases like Measles are stoopid contagious --- as in look-at-somebody-the-wrong-way and get it --- while normal flus are much less so.

Anyway, if a virus has an infection rate of 1 or less, the it's an arithmetic progression and relatively easy to contain. But once it reaches 2+ it becomes geometric. Now, I assume anyone reading this is at least familar from HS math with a geometric progression --- the easiest example is starting with a penny and doubling your money every day, becoming a multi-millionaire within a month. Welp, think about that math starting with that "penny" being an infected carrier of a virus. Untreated and/or uncontained, just one patient can trigger disastrous outcomes. Yikes.

So here's the skinny: COVID-19 is statistcally more contagious than the "Spanish Flu" (that killed more people than WWI) in 1918, with a higher mortality rate (according to the WHO). In other words, this shit ain't no joke. Now, if you'd like me to get "political"?... I would tell you that what we're going thru now could've been prevented --- easily, as it turns out. But, well.... so much for that. Don't get me started (my mom would be berating the politicians on TV right about now).

Bottom line is, these public event/sports cancellations are happening for a reason at this point. Good news (on a micro-level) is, unless you're in a "high-risk" demographic, yes, the "odds" are still in your favor. And your kids are likely safe --- I'm told this one doesn't seem to hit children as hard --- -BUT the munchkins can still be "Typhoid Marys" as carriers, so keep your little germ-factories isolated as directed. Moreover, this is NOT the "flu" --- it's a whole nuther deal. So, listen to the authorities and stay safe, Fam. Take common sense measures and resist the temptation to blow this off.

If folks can do that, we'll get thru it. Take care and be well.

Last edited:
I'm glad you didn't expand on the political part. I know for a fact that folks will get banned without warning for it. The publisher of the the site has a zero tolerance for it. He warned us on the Premium side and said that talking politics on the board will get you a quick hook.

I'm glad you didn't expand on the political part. I know for a fact that folks will get banned without warning for it. The publisher of the the site has a zero tolerance for it. He warned us on the Premium side and said that talking politics on the board will get you a quick hook.
Fair enough... although I would hope folks get more out of it than that.

Last edited:
Fair enough... although I would hope folks get more out of it than that.

I thought it was a good piece. You are a good poster.

Only trying to help you.

Last edited:
IIRC patient 0 was mid to late November 2019, just look at us now. For those in any of the "at risk" groups, take care, hunker down and as gary mentioned this stuff is serious business. It can kill. Please continue practicing "social distancing". Do as Fauci (NIH doc) recommends and we might just keep that bubble low and not terribly peaked.
Looked at 1918 numbers and the measures St. Louis and Philly took...St. Louis distanced even back then but Philly did not and suffered for it, many ill and dead.

Last edited:
Spanish Flu had a higher CFR. No idea on the r0, but the r0 on the Covid-19 is around a 3-6 so that is extremely contagious.

i have no problem with the prevention and preparation .. but the unnecessary media-produced panic causing empty grocery stores, free falling economies and all out hysteria has been ridiculous.
Markets had a nice bounce back yesterday. It was the initial knee jerk reaction to the unknown of the virus. Plus in today's world and going forward the markets are gonna become increasingly more fluid and fast paced. Whether we have a global virus or not.

Reactions: bleeduncblue
Spanish Flu had a higher CFR. No idea on the r0, but the r0 on the Covid-19 is around a 3-6 so that is extremely contagious.
Well, to be accurate, the R-naught concept was developed after 1918 so the Spanish Flu numbers were estimated post facto (from morbidity data) --- and of course they're still trying to get a good working estimate for COVID-19, but the last WHO numbers I saw had it slightly higher, but again, still estimates. Either way yeah, both are more contagious than normal flus.

i have no problem with the prevention and preparation .. but the unnecessary media-produced panic causing empty grocery stores, free falling economies and all out hysteria has been ridiculous.

I totally agree, really strikes me as a media induced panic. Yes of course, be smart, be aware, be educated but this feels to me like it is being pushed way over the top. Granted, a few months from now I could have dreams of this nice little old black lady sitting in her rocking chair on the front porch of her farm home and she telling me to come see her or go on ahead to Colorado, OK then I may be a touch more worried? LOL

I totally agree, really strikes me as a media induced panic. Yes of course, be smart, be aware, be educated but this feels to me like it is being pushed way over the top. Granted, a few months from now I could have dreams of this nice little old black lady sitting in her rocking chair on the front porch of her farm home and she telling me to come see her or go on ahead to Colorado, OK then I may be a touch more worried? LOL

it's been a couple of weeks ... we now have 23 cases out of 11 million people in NC. i'm headed to the beach for a few days ... THAT is social distancing :D

Saw one of those food vendor trucks that temporarily converted to a truck selling toilet paper today at a premium coming through by area this morning. Unreal.... I went to Walmart, Cosco and a few grocery stores yesterday before I could find any toilet paper.

Last edited:
Agree, but I teach 6th grade and have a particularly unruly group this year. If this thing gets me a couple or 3 weeks at home while they are doing online work, I ain’t complainin’.

our school is talking about extending spring break (which start on Monday) and then making it up by extending the school year in June. ha! we have a week on Bald Head booked for the first week of summer and we're gonna be there no matter what.

our school is talking about extending spring break (which start on Monday) and then making it up by extending the school year in June. ha! we have a week on Bald Head booked for the first week of summer and we're gonna be there no matter what.

I was extremely stoked that the WSOP circuit event for Cherokee was during our spring break this year. Was going to spend some time up there, was going to be pissed if they moved our spring break. Doesn’t matter now tho, All WSOP circuit events are postponed too.

Lemme guess - DJT should've consulted early on with LubeTek - aka king of spacing - early on about how-to's and benefits of social spacing....am I right?

:)
Agree, anyone politicizing this thing is a moron, that goes for both sides.

Lemme guess - DJT should've consulted early on with LubeTek - aka king of spacing - early on about how-to's and benefits of social spacing....am I right?

:)
Stop it man. Please, keep the politics off the board. Go to the OOTB board. You will get a quick hook and you would not know what hit you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT