ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew's article

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
5 Breakout Players for Fall Camp

His list is: Jeremiah Gemmel, Jordan Tucker, Ed Montilus, Corey Bell, and Chazz Surratt.

We are so thin at LB that we badly need to have Gemmel and Surratt make big strides by the end of the month. I think when Surratt relaxes into the position, his athleticism, the speed and quickness combined with power, will make him a very good LB. The years at QB should translate well into sensing what the opposing QB wants to do. And if all that comes Surratt may become a star at LB.

Gemmel I think just has it for an LB. He is a natural.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
...I think when Surratt relaxes into the position, his athleticism, the speed and quickness combined with power, will make him a very good LB. The years at QB should translate well into sensing what the opposing QB wants to do. And if all that comes Surratt may become a star at LB....

he's done a great job in the weight room apparently. he's got the quickness, speed, and strength, and as a former QB he's smart enough to learn the position. the only question is whether he has the hard hitting aggressive mentality. no way of knowing that til we see him in a game.

he's done a great job in the weight room apparently. he's got the quickness, speed, and strength, and as a former QB he's smart enough to learn the position. the only question is whether he has the hard hitting aggressive mentality. no way of knowing that til we see him in a game.
That is something that might develop if he lacks it at the start of the season. Once you move your mind from prey to hunter, it can click in a big way.

LB spot is thin to say the least.. at least with quality experience. Really need some guys to step up and make a difference. If not Surratt or Gemmel maybe Flint or Lawler.

LB spot is thin to say the least.. at least with quality experience. Really need some guys to step up and make a difference. If not Surratt or Gemmel maybe Flint or Lawler.
LB is indeed one of our main positions of concern, both in terms of depth and experience. But we have decent talent there and a very good coach in Thigpen. Hopefully the multiplicity of the defense will help to disguise our deficiencies a little until we see significant improvement through improved talent ant more experience.

he took some hits as a QB. maybe he wants some payback.
And he is fast enough to run down almost all RBs and WRs. Even when a new RB is not quite mentally ready to be the hit-first-and-hard, he can be a big help if he is able to use speed and quickness to run down ball carriers.

And he is fast enough to run down almost all RBs and WRs. Even when a new LB is not quite mentally ready to be the hit-first-and-hard, he can be a big help if he is able to use speed and quickness to run down ball carriers.
Fixed it for you. I agree, there is no substitute for speed. I think Chazz will prosper at his new position. He'll certainly get more time there than he would have at QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT