ADVERTISEMENT

Any recruiting news?

CB commit Obi Egbuna
TE Commit Kevin Hester Jr
Both today
The CB was committed to Richmond - sounds like the kind of guys Fedora had committed that Mack did not want. Any of the bunch could be undervalued, but all could be no better than average starters on a good 1AA or maybe Group of 5 team.

The DE is a relative newcomer to football, from basketball. He could be a sleeper, or he could be a flash in the pan for 1 HS season and a couple of camps who cannot cut it as a P5 DE.

These announcements are not signs of Mack flipping top recruits from P5 teams.

The CB was committed to Richmond - sounds like the kind of guys Fedora had committed that Mack did not want. Any of the bunch could be undervalued, but all could be no better than average starters on a good 1AA or maybe Group of 5 team.

The DE is a relative newcomer to football, from basketball. He could be a sleeper, or he could be a flash in the pan for 1 HS season and a couple of camps who cannot cut it as a P5 DE.

Obi was a top CB for one of the best High School football teams in the state. Bateman and Army offered him, so there's history there.

Obi was a top CB for one of the best High School football teams in the state. Bateman and Army offered him, so there's history there.
Yes, and Army is not P5. He was committed to 1AA Richmond, not UVA or VT or Moo or Wake or Dook, not even ECU or App St.

Getting 1AA commits to flip is not a sign of great recruiting.

Yes, and Army is not P5. He was committed to 1AA Richmond, not UVA or VT or Moo or Wake or Dook, not even ECU or App St.

I'll go back and remind you that he was the top corner on one of the best High School football teams in the state. I saw him dominate Charlotte Catholic week 1, kid can ball. Thousands of kids get overlooked each year, this is no different. Glad to have him in Chapel Hill, he'll for sure have a big chip on his shoulder for being overlooked by all those Power 5 schools.

Reactions: heelfan1961
I'll go back and remind you that he was the top corner on one of the best High School football teams in the state. I saw him dominate Charlotte Catholic week 1, kid can ball. Thousands of kids get overlooked each year, this is no different. Glad to have him in Chapel Hill, he'll for sure have a big chip on his shoulder for being overlooked by all those Power 5 schools.
Let's hope he is the next javonte, cuz there also thousands of kids that get overlooked then walk-on and never leave the bench.

Reactions: franklin street

He played on Dre's 7 on 7 team.

He played on Dre's 7 on 7 team.
That's it.

Perhaps he is better than a guy who had 0 P5 offers, and only a couple of G5 offers, before this, so much better that he eventually starts on a bowl team. Perhaps his ceiling is being the best CB on one of the state's best HS teams, that did not win because it has the best defensive secondary in the state, which means nothing, not even that he definitely could start on a very good D2 team.

Either way - if he had been a Fedora commit, none of us would have been impressed the tiniest bit.

That's it.

Perhaps he is better than a guy who had 0 P5 offers, and only a couple of G5 offers, before this, so much better that he eventually starts on a bowl team. Perhaps his ceiling is being the best CB on one of the state's best HS teams, that did not win because it has the best defensive secondary in the state, which means nothing, not even that he definitely could start on a very good D2 team.

Either way - if he had been a Fedora commit, none of us would have been impressed the tiniest bit.

Perhaps you can watch a little film and be better informed on the talent in the state rather than judge a player by their P5 offers.

He does look good in those clips. So how did he get missed? Middle of Charlotte and his teammate was a national recruit. Hard to tell about speed.

He does look good in those clips. So how did he get missed? Middle of Charlotte and his teammate was a national recruit. Hard to tell about speed.

Happens all the time. The below players were 2 stars out of high school...

Le'veon Bell
David Johnson
Jordy Nelson
JJ Watt
Russel Wilson
Khalil Mack

I can name another list of Hall of Famers who either received one offer out of high school or enrolled in a community college, but I'll spare you.

Can't judge a guy by the stars beside his name. Film doesn't lie.

recruiting is about building personal relationships -- with recruits, their coaches, and their families. for mack to start this late in the season and turning a godawful recruiting class into a great one would be a miracle. miracles are nice but i don't expect them.

Happens all the time. The below players were 2 stars out of high school...

Le'veon Bell
David Johnson
Jordy Nelson
JJ Watt
Russel Wilson
Khalil Mack

I can name another list of Hall of Famers who either received one offer out of high school or enrolled in a community college, but I'll spare you.

Can't judge a guy by the stars beside his name. Film doesn't lie.
1. Khalil Mack was a bball player who was sidelined his entire jr yr AND was in a tiny HS. He wasn't on the radar because he wasn't playing until mid senior year in a tiny town. In contrast, Obi's been playing in Charlotte with a QB who is national recruit (going to Miss State). I could be wrong but Obi isn't missing from the radar, he just didn't look good enough to people watching QB Garrett Shrader to garner interest.

2. Actually isn't doesn't happen all the time when you consider there are many many thousands of 2* per yr. There are over 300k HS football seniors each yr. Only about 1.5k are 3*. So saying a few per 100k each yr are studs mean it is a rarity.

3. Analysis shows that kids from recruiting hotspots are often more rated and over-rated than those from the midwest and places without many recruits. Any example would be JJ Watt from Wisc, Jordy Nelson from Kansas. But again, Obi is from Charlotte.

Fewer stars doesn't mean you'll be bad, same thing with being a walk-on. But Mack Hollins is a rarity... we have probably 25 walk-ons on the team every yr, but at what rate are any of them scholarship worthy?

The team of 2* with the same coaching as the team of 3* will always get stomped.

Brewster just tweeted this.....
1. Khalil Mack was a bball player who was sidelined his entire jr yr AND was in a tiny HS. He wasn't on the radar because he wasn't playing until mid senior year in a tiny town. In contrast, Obi's been playing in Charlotte with a QB who is national recruit (going to Miss State). I could be wrong but Obi isn't missing from the radar, he just didn't look good enough to people watching QB Garrett Shrader to garner interest.

2. Actually isn't doesn't happen all the time when you consider there are many many thousands of 2* per yr. There are over 300k HS football seniors each yr. Only about 1.5k are 3*. So saying a few per 100k each yr are studs mean it is a rarity.

3. Analysis shows that kids from recruiting hotspots are often more rated and over-rated than those from the midwest and places without many recruits. Any example would be JJ Watt from Wisc, Jordy Nelson from Kansas. But again, Obi is from Charlotte.

Fewer stars doesn't mean you'll be bad, same thing with being a walk-on. But Mack Hollins is a rarity... we have probably 25 walk-ons on the team every yr, but at what rate are any of them scholarship worthy?

The team of 2* with the same coaching as the team of 3* will always get stomped.

I just named a few, out of many examples.

Coaching is vital, 100%. I like what I've seen thus far from the coaches both in their past as well as on the recruiting trail. I can tell you from speaking with numerous coaches in the state -- they're leaving a positive impression so far.

What a way to start the morning!

Tomari Fox and now Triston Miller! Add in 4 Star Howell in about 6 hours, Mack has done one helluva job.

Once Miller de-committed from Moo, it was either UNC or Louisville. He chose to stay in state rather than follow the OLC to whom he'd first committed.

If Fedora had been fired early in the year, and Mack named HC before the season ended, several top recruits might have flipped.

A couple of 3* recruits added to the class. Welton Spottsville and Storm Duck.

Are we expected to pick up any DT’s? You guys follow recruiting way more closely than I do

Mack and his new staff have done a lot to improve this class despite having very little time to recruit before the early signing period.

Go Heels!

Reactions: tarheel0910
Something wrong with Tommy thigpin? 5 kids on d, and three from the new guys. You can do better TT!!

Here is recruiting news: SI article: "There are great names back east too, like new UNC cornerback Storm Duck."

He may turn out great for us, but with that name, he could be a legend at Oregon.

Another sign that Clemson is King of the ACC and FSU has a ways to go: 4* DT Tyler Davis picked the Tigers over the Noles.

Reactions: MWHeels
Here is recruiting news: SI article: "There are great names back east too, like new UNC cornerback Storm Duck."

He may turn out great for us, but with that name, he could be a legend at Oregon.

Another sign that Clemson is King of the ACC and FSU has a ways to go: 4* DT Tyler Davis picked the Tigers over the Noles.

Not a surprise considering FSU had a down year by their standards and are now dealing with turnover in their coaching staff.

Another from the piece I linked above: "LSU is currently working on the fourth-best class in the SEC ... which also happens to be the fourth-best class in the country."

No league is equal to the SEC in football recruiting. That has been true for some time, and should remain true for a long time. The ACC has made progress, and more can be made.

Any updates with Jaden McKenzie? I'm hoping we still have a shot with him.
The word is that he is going Ohio St. I hope it is wrong, because we need DT talent.

If he is a hard lean to OSU, Mack may be trying to get him to just wait until Feb.

Another from the piece I linked above: "LSU is currently working on the fourth-best class in the SEC ... which also happens to be the fourth-best class in the country."

No league is equal to the SEC in football recruiting. That has been true for some time, and should remain true for a long time. The ACC has made progress, and more can be made.

It will be interesting to see how long LSU can keep Aranda. He has made a huge difference for their program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT