ADVERTISEMENT

Assistants on the bench

Not a huge fan of these hires. Pretty underwhelming actually since none have been successful recruiters at the P5 level and lack much success from a coaching standpoint.

Yeah, I feel that. Got to give them an opportunity though, if, in fact, these are the ones that show up on the bench.

Reactions: Kadyn930
Well HD was very clear that he will NOT be hiring anyone on his staff that has not been associated with the program previously. I was a bit surprised that he was so definitive and absolute about that, but he's also riding a tidal wave of emotion right now.

This thing is starting to feel a little cultish.
I agree. Including in HD's press conference that "it can only be UNC Tar Heels on the bench, doing the job. It can't be anyone outside." And that HD desires "past players as coaches who have a tie to DES, Roy, Gut".

Well, that really narrows down the pool of who you can select from, and I don't agree at all that you can't learn things or benefit greatly from coaches who have succeeded at other programs - NBA or college - outside of UNC.

Reactions: iwish and GGary
Not a huge fan of these hires. Pretty underwhelming actually since none have been successful recruiters at the P5 level and lack much success from a coaching standpoint.

In fairness, they were recruiting to ECU & Monmouth, let’s see how they do getting kids to North Carolina. I believe Rice & May will be great recruiters, they are young enough to relate to today’s players. IIRC, Lebo is a little older? But all should do well, IMO UNC is looking more attractive to some recruits now with a younger staff.

I really like Sean May, he is a must keep. May seems like a good guy. No opinion on Rice or Lebo.

I like it. if nothing else these last few years have proven getting kids whos would rather play for the back of the jersey than the front is not a formula for success regardless of there rankings. im ready to move away from talking these prima donnas into playing for UNC as opposed to searching out kids that want to be at UNC. if that means we have a fewer less talented kids to pair with the talented ones, then so be it--as long as the staff can coach them up, im good with us not being a bunch of salemen.

Well listen to Hubert. He said today in the PC that he wants various generations of UNC players on the bench with him. I believe he is a man of his word.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I would think he needs people he can trust 100% early on and later he may be more open to others that he has some relationship with. He can’t afford to be looking over his shoulder at this point.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Sean May
Jeff Lebo
King Rice

Take it away guys, whatcha think?

These are being reported as the ones he wants on the bench with him.

Very underwhelming. May's been there a while and I have yet to see an interior big with a really good inside "go to" inside shot (in the last 4 yrs.). HD has been on the bench for this entire class and many before but some of the form (some of) the players that have been there in his time is pretty pathetic .. ball .. and stats don't lie. Lebo was a fairly good floor leader as I recall .. but not anything special .. and King Rice (Really).

I truly wish him and the program well, as always, but nothing on this coaching staff stands out as being notable .. much less impressive. Time will tell but on the surface I see nothing impressive or exciting. Is what it is.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I was confused by Hubert's comments about his staff having to be UNC guys. Does that mean they had to have played there? Or could they have played for Roy at Kansas and then coached with him at UNC? The experienced coaching tree of dudes who played at UNC isn't all that deep.

Unless he's going to bring Larry Brown or George Karl on as assistants, his staff is going to be pretty underwhelming and inexperienced.

Bobby Frasor coaches HS basketball in Chicago. Maybe he'd be an option.

Did Wallace ever get his degree? If not, he is not eligible.

Would prefer him to bring in a couple of people who aren't UNC guys, but it sounds like that's not happening which is a missed opportunity. I don't understand the Rice talk. Seems like that would be a step down.

In fairness, they were recruiting to ECU & Monmouth, let’s see how they do getting kids to North Carolina. I believe Rice & May will be great recruiters, they are young enough to relate to today’s players. IIRC, Lebo is a little older? But all should do well, IMO UNC is looking more attractive to some recruits now with a younger staff.

Rice is two years younger than Lebo, which is neglible. I don't know why he let Kendall go, but I hope he brings in someone in his generation to replace him. I'd personally love to see Marcus on the bench, if he's interested.

I'm guessing Kendall's Dad's tweeting would have something to do with it
I would hope that wasn't the only reason. If that were the case, I would hope HB would have warned him not to share info with anyone, then let him go if there was another offense. We expect our parents to be confidants that we can tell anything & expect them to not break our confidence. Most people understand that.

I'm not going to speculate on the reason for him being fired, until/unless I hear something definitive. I don't think that's fair to Hubert or Kendall.

Last edited:
Don't want to repeat it but I just addressed what is being talked about in this thread on another thread. But to sum it al up, love the moves so far from Hubert, talked my reasons why on the other thread.

HD could go some different routes makes sense to bring in either Lebo or Rice as associates HC but there are a few players that are coaches now and have been for awhile.

George Lynch- Was a HC
Shammond Williams I think he would do well recruiting.
Pat Sullivan
Scott Cherry
Brian Reese
Derrick Phelps
Melvin Scott
Bobby Frasor- I believe could do well.
Jackie Manuel
Donald Williams
David Noel-Who I think would be amazing.
Jeff Mcinnis don't know if he has a degree or if anything would stop him from coaching college but he is one of the best HS coaches in NC and all his kids play hard.

dook staff is all former players who are likable by recruits and are pretty young.

Last edited:
I would like to see someone on the bench who has a different perspective. I think it is smart to get a diversity of opinions. Find a guy on the bench from a school like UVa or other school playing that similar style. As much as I hate k when he brought Boeheim onto Team USA for his zone knowledge that was pretty smart.

I don't have an issue with the list. I think he needs to add a younger guy like David Noel. I listen to his Podcast. Noel is able to connect to todays kids. That is great for recruiting. Rasheed Wallace will also be a good person.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT