ADVERTISEMENT

At the Movies

heelz2345

Hall of Famer
Mar 4, 2008
You guys seen anything good lately either at the theater or at home?

In 2017, I've seen 7 movies in theaters so far (chronologically): The Lego Batman Movie, John Wick Chapter 2, Get Out, Logan, Beauty and the Beast, The Fate of the Furious, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Of those, I thought Get Out was the best. Very creative, and kept me on the edge of my seat throughout, while also having some laugh out loud moments, which is rare in a suspense thriller movie. But just behind that movie, I would have Logan and Guardians of the Galaxy. I'd recommend any on the list, but obviously, some are for different tastes.

At home, the ones I can remember watching this year for the first time are the first John Wick, Unforgiven, and The Hustler, all of which I thoroughly enjoyed as well.

How do you find the time, what with your constant @ing Trump on Twitter and all ;)

Just fukkin withcha. I do not believe I've been to the theaters once this year. I might see Guardians in theaters though.

Reactions: heelz2345
How do you find the time, what with your constant @ing Trump on Twitter and all ;)

Just fukkin withcha. I do not believe I've been to the theaters once this year. I might see Guardians in theaters though.
Nah, the TV Tournament has been the real time drain. (You'll find out soon enough with the restaurant one) :p

Guardians is definitely worth the big screen experience. I'm hoping to see it again either this weekend or next. If you liked the first one, you should like this one too.

I loved Guardians. Hopefully go see the new one tomorrow night before the lacrosse game.

Rogue One. That was recent, right? No?

:(
ill_allow_it_community.gif

The last movie I saw was Rock Dog at the $2 theater. Had never even heard of it before agreeing to go.

It was fine.
Yeah, that was a movie that got basically no publicity until the week it came out, which is not a good sign. I didn't see it but it had a surprisingly solid cast list for a movie that basically no one saw.

Good ass movie. I figured you could just see a version of that flick by walking around your neighborhood, though?

Did you like it or The Departed better?

Somewhat, a couple years ago I lived around the corner from the convenience store that he controlled to launder his money. And Southie isn't that big, so I was constantly walking past places where he "off'd" people.

I think The Departed was a better movie, but that Black Mass was more interesting because it was much closer to what actually happened.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Somewhat, a couple years ago I lived around the corner from the convenience store that he controlled to launder his money. And Southie isn't that big, so I was constantly walking past places where he "off'd" people.
Damn.

I think The Departed was a better movie, but that Black Mass was more interesting because it was much closer to what actually happened.
Nice, I see what you mean. I like The Departed better, but I thought Black Mass was great in its own way. Depp was fantastic in it. The Jai alai parts kinda made my eyes gloss over, but other than that, very good.

On a Star Wars note, Qui-Gon Jinn is the worst Jedi in the entire film franchise and is responsible for most of the bad stuff that happens in Star Wars. Just thought you should know.

Last edited:
Reactions: HEELS1984
I blame Jar Jar Binks
Here's the thing though: Qui-Gon is directly responsible for all of Jar Jar's shenanigans. When Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan land on Naboo, we see Qui-Gon running away from droid tanks and Jar Jar sees him coming. Instead of getting his stupid ass out of the way, Jar Jar latches onto Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon has to save him again two seconds later from a droid that's shooting at them. Then Jar Jar tells the Jedi about Gungan city, and they are like "great, let's go," but Jar Jar remembers that he is banished and will get arrested if he goes back. Qui-Gon is like "don't worry about it," they go there and sure enough, Jar Jar gets arrested. The Jedi talk to Boss Nass and are about to leave when Qui Gon asks what will become of Jar Jar. Boss Nass implies they are going to execute Jar Jar. Qui-Gon uses the phrase "Something tells me this Gungan might be of some help" and decides to save him and bring him along. So because Qui-Gon is dumb enough to think Jar Jar will be useful when he had to save his life 3 times in the first 20 minutes of knowing him is the only reason we have to suffer through 3 movies of Jar Jar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raising Heel
Here's the thing though: Qui-Gon is directly responsible for all of Jar Jar's shenanigans. When Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan land on Naboo, we see Qui-Gon running away from droid tanks and Jar Jar sees him coming. Instead of getting his stupid ass out of the way, Jar Jar latches onto Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon has to save him again two seconds later from a droid that's shoot long at them. Then Jar Jar tells the Jedi about Gungan city, and they are like "great, let's go," but Jar Jar remembers that he is banished and will get arrested if he goes back. Qui-Gon is like "don't worry about it," they go there and sure enough, Jar Jar gets arrested. The Jedi talk to Boss Nass and are about to leave when Qui Gon asks what will become of Jar Jar. Boss Nass implies they are going to execute Jar Jar. Qui-Gon uses the phrase "Something tells me this Gungan might be of some help" and decides to save him and bring him along. So because Qui-Gon is dumb enough to think Jar Jar will be useful when he had to save his life 3 times in the first 20 minutes of knowing him is the only reason we have to suffer through 3 movies of Jar Jar.

Jeez can ya throw a spoiler in?

Just kidding, I'll never watch those movies anyways.

Here's the thing though: Qui-Gon is directly responsible for all of Jar Jar's shenanigans. When Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan land on Naboo, we see Qui-Gon running away from droid tanks and Jar Jar sees him coming. Instead of getting his stupid ass out of the way, Jar Jar latches onto Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon has to save him again two seconds later from a droid that's shoot long at them. Then Jar Jar tells the Jedi about Gungan city, and they are like "great, let's go," but Jar Jar remembers that he is banished and will get arrested if he goes back. Qui-Gon is like "don't worry about it," they go there and sure enough, Jar Jar gets arrested. The Jedi talk to Boss Nass and are about to leave when Qui Gon asks what will become of Jar Jar. Boss Nass implies they are going to execute Jar Jar. Qui-Gon uses the phrase "Something tells me this Gungan might be of some help" and decides to save him and bring him along. So because Qui-Gon is dumb enough to think Jar Jar will be useful when he had to save his life 3 times in the first 20 minutes of knowing him is the only reason we have to suffer through 3 movies of Jar Jar.
There are reasons besides this for why Qui-Gon sucks, but the facilitation of useless Jar Jar is a pretty big one.

Yes this is true! I just dislike Jar Jar!

Some are speculating that luke will have basically the same view of the force as Qui-gon.
Also, jar jar was the one who nominated Palpatine for supreme chancellor. Maybe jar jar is snoke

Probably a silly question, but did anyone else see Wonder Woman this weekend? It was pretty friggin awesome. Gal Gadot is a smoke show for one, but she also kicks some serious ass in this movie. I got chills during the major action scene because she was just so awesome. She was the best part of Batman v. Superman, and this was the best movie of the DCEU, beginning to end, for sure.

Probably a silly question, but did anyone else see Wonder Woman this weekend? It was pretty friggin awesome. Gal Gadot is a smoke show for one, but she also kicks some serious ass in this movie. I got chills during the major action scene because she was just so awesome. She was the best part of Batman v. Superman, and this was the best movie of the DCEU, beginning to end, for sure.
Didn't see it, but I want to. I'm surprised that these movie critics have actually said a DC movie is good. They've been on their knees for Marvel movies for so long I didn't think it was possible.

Haven't been to a non-kids movie in a while. I'll go see the Dark Tower when it comes out. I'll probably be disappointed but still have to be there.

Did anyone see the finale for 'The Leftovers' last night? I thought it was really good for a series ender.

Haven't been to a non-kids movie in a while. I'll go see the Dark Tower when it comes out. I'll probably be disappointed but still have to be there.

Did anyone see the finale for 'The Leftovers' last night? I thought it was really good for a series ender.
I am looking forward to Dark Tower. I need to read the books, I'm sure I would like them, just haven't gotten around to them yet.

As for Leftovers, I haven't watched that series yet. I've heard nothing but great things, just haven't worked that one in.

Didn't see it, but I want to. I'm surprised that these movie critics have actually said a DC movie is good. They've been on their knees for Marvel movies for so long I didn't think it was possible.
Well, part of the reason this one works is it fits the character and tells a story that makes sense (relatively speaking of course, we are dealing with superheroes). It also helps that this movie is the least Zach Snyder-esque of the DCEU, and I think it proves that he's not the best fit to be the creative lead for this universe.

My big problem with the Superman movies in the DCEU is that Superman doesn't feel like Superman, he feels like Batman in the wrong outfit. I didn't hate Man of Steel, but BvS was such a let down because they tried to do too much to set up Justice League, they ruined Lex Luthor, among a lot of other flaws with it (MARTHHHAAAAAA). There are some solid moments (Wonder Woman again being a standout), but it was a major disappointment for me.

Suicide Squad was something I initially enjoyed, and the more I thought about it, the more it made less and less sense. There were good things with some characters, but they wasted the Joker, the story made zero sense, the villain sucked (I know Marvel gets criticized for less than stellar villains, but this was god awful), and it somehow drags and rushes at the same time.

WW however, tells a concise story, feels optimistic while staying somewhat grounded in the struggle of real world morality, and has likable characters. Gadot and Chris Pine have great chemistry, it never feels like a commercial for the next movie (well, maybe one time), and just does justice to the character.

I'm hoping that DC continues the upswing, because I want those movies to be really good. They are still behind Marvel in my book, but this is certainly a step in the right direction. The Justice League trailer looks solid so far, and I'm hoping they work some elements of levity in there (which, based on the trailer, looks like the case). But Wonder Woman is far and away the best DCEU movie, and probably the best DC movie since Dark Knight (with a possible exception of Lego Batman).

I am looking forward to Dark Tower. I need to read the books, I'm sure I would like them, just haven't gotten around to them yet.

As for Leftovers, I haven't watched that series yet. I've heard nothing but great things, just haven't worked that one in.

The books are great. The last one is kind of disappointing but the series itself is outstanding. It is a huge ordeal for King fans because there are probably at least 20 of his other books that tie in to the DT in some way, some heavily and some in just minor ways.

The books are great. The last one is kind of disappointing but the series itself is outstanding. It is a huge ordeal for King fans because there are probably at least 20 of his other books that tie in to the DT in some way, some heavily and some in just minor ways.
Yeah that's what I've heard. I haven't read as much King as I should have, I've seen a number of movies based on his works, but I need to read some more of his stuff.

My big problem with the Superman movies in the DCEU is that Superman doesn't feel like Superman, he feels like Batman in the wrong outfit.
I know that has been one of the biggest criticism of DCEU, but I honestly think it is the best portrayal of Superman. He has a far darker background than Batman, but up until that point he was treated as the happy super dork. The guy not only lost his parents, but his whole world was destroyed. He thinks he is the only one of his kind to survive and he is an outcast. The old portrayal never matched his backstory. I love that DC is (or at least was) going for a more real world grittier feel, because I like that feel better than stand up comic superheroes.

I know that has been one of the biggest criticism of DCEU, but I honestly think it is the best portrayal of Superman. He has a far darker background than Batman, but up until that point he was treated as the happy super dork. The guy not only lost his parents, but his whole world was destroyed. He thinks he is the only one of his kind to survive and he is an outcast. The old portrayal never matched his backstory. I love that DC is (or at least was) going for a more real world grittier feel, because I like that feel better than stand up comic superheroes.
I get that, and I will not deny that there is tragedy in Superman's backstory, but Superman is about rising above all of that, doing the right thing no matter what, and saving the little guy. Superman isn't "well, what is right, and what is wrong? Are people even worth saving?" You can find a happy medium between "real world" and staying true to what people like about the characters. I think Wonder Woman is the best in these series of movies at doing that. But I have found Superman to be boring and bleak in these movies.

I get that, and I will not deny that there is tragedy in Superman's backstory, but Superman is about rising above all of that, doing the right thing no matter what, and saving the little guy. Superman isn't "well, what is right, and what is wrong? Are people even worth saving?" You can find a happy medium between "real world" and staying true to what people like about the characters. I think Wonder Woman is the best in these series of movies at doing that. But I have found Superman to be boring and bleak in these movies.
I understand that he has been traditionally portrayed that way, I just don't think it matches his story. I prefer the more complex way he has been portrayed in the new DCEU. It was a big gamble for them to change his personality and it appears that most people don't like it, but I'm glad they did it. I just don't want them to completely give up on their more real world feel and start making the cheesy Marvel movies just because they are more family friendly. Marvel movies are good, but I'm just not a big fan of their tone. I think the best movies they have made are Iron Man 3 and Captain America: Civil War. Those two had the more real world, complex superhero feel that DC has. The villains still sucked though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT