ADVERTISEMENT

Bacot - A 5th Year?

Players were allowed to play an extra year by the thousands after freshman were made eligible. If one year of kids getting that same extra year tops your record then, OK, they topped you, just as you topped others.

Hell, you and thousands of others had an advantage over thousands before you for a cumulative record. You benefited, they had 1 class with a benefit, if a guy tops you don't cry. The records are legit for any cumulative, it is who did the most whatever as a Tar Heel.

They all had different opportunities.

Folks, you wanna make rival fans puke? Lol

What if Bacot decides to come back for a 5th year?

Over the next 2 years in a UNC uniform, he could make 4-5M in NIL. Perhaps two more Final Fours ? He was pretty vocal when he came in as a Freshman making it known that his goal was OAD.

I love Bacot, but I just don't see him sticking ever with a NBA team. With prudent investing with business and graduate degrees, who needs the G-League and overseas basketball leagues?

I listened to Andrew's Jones podcast when he mentioned Bacot's Jimmy Seafood NIL deal. They are based in Baltimore, MD, about 20-miles north of my home.

I'm a huge Baltimore Ravens fan and I was talking to friend up here today and he asked was I going to the Ravens Draft Party at Jimmy's Seafood on 4/28. I told him no and I then I initiated at conversation that I was a big UNC fan and mentioned that Bacot was a NIL sponsor Jimmy's Seaford. Then, the guy said I know that and heard Bacot was visiting Jimmy's in Balltimore this summer to make an appearance. I don't know whether the guy was shooting from the cuff or not, but his comments were interesting.

Bacot, a 5th year with GG, Wicher, Puff and RJ? Ridiculous!
I just posted this very same thing in one of the other threads just recently and I can very well see this happening.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Problem with your argument is that freshmen aren’t gonna be stopped from playing. The five years for any player is almost over. If the ncaa would have balled up in the first place and just realized that the first year Covid players would just have to miss a year, then none of this crap would be happening. Just an example of our weak society not wanting to hurt anyones feelings. SMH

Or just played the game with healthy 18-21 years olds who have had very little issues with COVID

Reactions: alabamaheel
Problem with your argument is that freshmen aren’t gonna be stopped from playing. The five years for any player is almost over. If the ncaa would have balled up in the first place and just realized that the first year Covid players would just have to miss a year, then none of this crap would be happening. Just an example of our weak society not wanting to hurt anyones feelings. SMH
Sounds like your feelings have been hurt. Do you need a safe space?

I could actually see the scenario for Bacot coming back for a 5th year. Would he prefer the NBA? Sure. But after the year he had this year, if the NBA was a serious option for him, he would already be gone. 30 years ago Bacot would have been a lottery pick. Nowadays, I'm not sure his game translates in the league. And one figures he might could pull more NIL money than the G League, or playing overseas.

You're the one not getting it! Imajericho stated "Would make any records he breaks sullied if he came back for a fifth year on top, imo." That is the statement that started this whole thing. Nobody is arguing that it's easier to break records with extra longevity. No shit the record will stand! Duh! The argument is the "worth" of the records when only 4 classes in the history of the NCAA will have the 5th year. It's completely opinion and in my opinion the records would be "sullied". If the 5 year rule was permanent it would be comparable to going from 3 years to 4.
Thank you.
I said I felt the record would be tarnished if broken by a 5th year player. I also said if he broke it in his 4th year and and took it to whatever lengths in his 5th year I would be unhappy with the record where it ended instead of where it would have been the final year.

The difference pointing came out after I expressed how I would view 5th year records.

That some person can't understand a one off rule change for a single class versus a rule change going forward for all of time isn't my concern really. That's common sense.

If they said tomorrow all players get 5 years going forward, then I wouldn't find it tarnished or sullied. That's just a change to the game going forward. That is not what this 5th year would be.
Drop mic!
Amen.

Count me as one that would not view any records that a 5th year COVID player set as legitimate. I too would value them less than a record set by a 4 year player. And whether some here think they're legit is irrelevant. The fact that we're even having the discussion means that our side will win this debate. We didn't have these discussions when Hansbrough set his records. We all just accepted that he is the record holder and there was no debate.
I have no issue with them playing the 5th year. Just drop all stats from their lowest year and all will be corrected. It's really simple if you look at it from this perspective.

One was a permanent change, one is a one time blip. Big difference. Hell, just put an asterisk by any records broken by players granted a fifth year.
Leaky is a chance to break one of the most phenomenal 4-yr records: Deon Thompson’s games played mark… hard to believe he suited up 152 times!

Last edited:
One was a permanent change, one is a one time blip. Big difference. Hell, just put an asterisk by any records broken by players granted a fifth year.
In the great scheme of things, College records are not held in the same regards as professional records. So this whole debate is really not all that interesting.

There were people just like you in 1972 complaining about records being broken after the NCAA decided to make freshmen eligible, giving elite players the opportunity to play 4 years of college basketball. The addition of the shot clock to increase possessions, and the addition of the 3pt shot to increase scoring, further buried those many of those old records. Not to mention the expanded regular season schedules offer today's players more games in which to accumulate stats.

But you really don't hear anyone these days complaining about all those pre-1972 records that have been shattered by the change in rules and schedules.
All individual player career records except the one biggest. Held forever by:
P
I
S
T
O
L

P
E
T
E

Asterisks? Okay:

*In Three years*

Armando is one the greatest student/athletes in school history. #Legend
I had a golf outing Saturday, a fellow big UNC fan buddy was part of our foursome, his HS aged kids bought him the personalized greeting from Mando for Father's Day as well.

It was nice, he mentioned the kids by name and the type things they love and appreciate about dear ol' dad. If I recall correctly they said it cost 95 bucks, with each player as an option. They said they waffled on choosing between Mando, Leaky, or Brady, and went with Mando in the end. NIL is booming for our players.

Last edited:
It’s seems like Armando would be making a very poor business decision if he DIDN’T return for a 5th season.

unless he becomes a proficient 3 point shooter, he won’t be anything more than a 935k minimum in the nba Maybe he can make more overseas? Seems like he can make the most
money @ UNC…..and become an all time UNC legend.

he may become more if he can become a legit 3 point shooter….i just don’t think he’s going to become a good nba 3 point shooter anytime soon. Make your money and create a legacy.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and Steat
It’s seems like Armando would be making a very poor business decision if he DIDN’T return for a 5th season.

unless he becomes a proficient 3 point shooter, he won’t be anything more than a 935k minimum in the nba Maybe he can make more overseas? Seems like he can make the most
money @ UNC…..and become an all time UNC legend.

he may become more if he can become a legit 3 point shooter….i just don’t think he’s going to become a good nba 3 point shooter anytime soon. Make your money and create a legacy.
Bacot at the 5 and GG at the 4 next year would be criminal. :)

I'm thrilled we got this year! Thinking about another year seems greedy, lol! BUT: It would be funny seeing opponents all looking as scared as the guys in the Hans pic every time we step on the floor!

Reactions: Heels5150
Fantastic read!

The article says 500K NIL, but they are way off. Bacot is looking at least 1M in NIL this year. If he comes back for a 5th year he would be looking at least 2M next year.

He bought Tesla in lieu of Crypto. Tesla is headed for another stock split and Crypto has crashed. Mondo would be smart to play a 5th year and pursue his investment licenses and manage the money of professional athletes. He could easily make 2-5 million a year as a financial advisor in the first year. With his contacts and background, professional athletes will trust him to manage their money. He could manage his own firm and manage millions of assets within the first few years. Who would not trust this guy to manage their money? Would not be shocked if he never plays a game in the NBA or any professional basketball league.

Amando Bacot Could Have Entered the NBA Draft. Instead, He Will Earn a Cool Half Mil at UNC

NBA is at an all time high in popularity. Where it is getting "knocked" is in the older demographic not the key younger demographic, and absolutely killing it globally. It is thriving in it's current version.

Mando's dee away from the basket is probably further off then his offense for a NBA roster. He would be targeted in pick and roll and must be able to guard away from the basket. He would have to retool his game. He could do it, but it would take time working on that, and he is a older matured player now playing against young still physically developing future NBAers or overseas/only college/G league level type guys his age.

Not sure how another year helps that, but it certainly makes all kind of sense for this year and possibly next with NIL earnings, the limelight, his buisness degrees, if he indeed sees his NBA prospects as slim.

Just because it’s popular doesn’t mean it’s good. It’s a 3-point shooting contest. Younger people like it because it’s all they know.

Fantastic read!

The article says 500K NIL, but they are way off. Bacot is looking at least 1M in NIL this year. If he comes back for a 5th year he would be looking at least 2M next year.

He bought Tesla in lieu of Crypto. Tesla is headed for another stock split and Crypto has crashed. Mondo would be smart to play a 5th year and pursue his investment licenses and manage the money of professional athletes. He could easily make 2-5 million a year as a financial advisor in the first year. With his contacts and background, professional athletes will trust him to manage their money. He could manage his own firm and manage millions of assets within the first few years. Who would not trust this guy to manage their money? Would not be shocked if he never plays a game in the NBA or any professional basketball league.

Amando Bacot Could Have Entered the NBA Draft. Instead, He Will Earn a Cool Half Mil at UNC

I’ve been saying for a while that he should be an agent.

Fantastic read!

I found it interesting that he admitted multiple schools were illegally offering large sums of cash to commit when he was being recruited out of high school.

Just because it’s popular doesn’t mean it’s good. It’s a 3-point shooting contest. Younger people like it because it’s all they know.
Exactly!
NBA is more about the soap operas of the players off the court than anything that happens between the line.
Baseball is supposed to be the dying sport, yet the 6th game of the World Series had a better rating than the 6th game of the NBA finals.
NBA is Utterly unwatchable to me, and I LOVED the NBA in the 80's and 90's.

Exactly!
NBA is more about the soap operas of the players off the court than anything that happens between the line.
Baseball is supposed to be the dying sport, yet the 6th game of the World Series had a better rating than the 6th game of the NBA finals.
I thought the stat I saw on the game 6 comparision was used because they were basically the same? Maybe I saw it wrong? The overall numbers are why some say it is a dying sport.

Everybody has their personal preferences, which is what makes the world go round, but the NBA is very happy that the people who find it "unwatchable" are mostly the 40 and up demographic, while the younger demographic is thriving. MLB is very worried that it is the younger demographic that finds their game "unwatchable".

I like and watch both, but the NBA is rising domestically and exploding globally. MLB has a serious issue when the AVARAGE age of it's fan base is over 50 and going in the wrong direction.

I thought the stat I saw on the game 6 comparision was used because they were basically the same? Maybe I saw it wrong? The overall numbers are why some say it is a dying sport.

Everybody has their personal preferences, which is what makes the world go round, but the NBA is very happy that the people who find it "unwatchable" are mostly the 40 and up demographic, while the younger demographic is thriving. MLB is very worried that it is the younger demographic that finds their game "unwatchable".

I like and watch both, but the NBA is rising domestically and exploding globally. MLB has a serious issue when the AVARAGE age of it's fan base is over 50 and going in the wrong direction.
Nothing you say here is wrong, I know the numbers. I just can't for the life of me understand why people pay money to watch a glorified game of " 🐎"
The pussification of America is personified by the idea of today's NBA. JMHO of course.

Baseball is too cerebral for today’s youth, we’ve dumbed down our society, it shows in our math and science scores and the games we prefer. Basketball is checkers, baseball is chess.

Reactions: tarwhiz
Baseball is too cerebral for today’s youth, we’ve dumbed down our society, it shows in our math and science scores and the games we prefer. Basketball is checkers, baseball is chess.
open-bar-bar.gif

Exactly!
Bingo

Nothing you say here is wrong, I know the numbers. I just can't for the life of me understand why people pay money to watch a glorified game of " 🐎"
The pussification of America is personified by the idea of today's NBA. JMHO of course.
Stealing “pussification” man. Thats too good mot to!

👍👍😂😝😂😝

Reactions: tarwhiz
I refuse to give that waste of skin any credit! I'm sure they had to cherry pick through hours of idiotic comment from Gottthief before they found that gem!

But even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while! Amazing how fast fortunes can change, no? UNC is King again!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT