ADVERTISEMENT

Bacot

Indy_Heel

Sophomore
Nov 14, 2004
Bacot has changed this season, or should I say bought in a little more in my opinion. He wasn’t really targeted tonight against Wake. Someone with more basketball IQ can probably explain why but I’m sure it had to do mostly the D they were running and RJ got hot. If this were earlier in the year he wouldn’t have handled this game too well I don’t think. Tonight I thought he stayed engaged and active (like he has over this run). He played great D. How many seal/pin down blocks on the defender did he have to allow an easy baskets? It’s been a long time since we’ve seen guards consistently just walk in for layups. EC’s speed and spacing have a lot to do with that but Bacot has been a big helper.

Last edited:
Bacot has changed this season, or should I say bought in a little more in my opinion. He wasn’t really targeted tonight against Wake. Someone with more basketball IQ can probably explain why but I’m sure it had to do mostly the D they were running and RJ got hot. If this were earlier in the year he wouldn’t have handled this game too well I don’t think. Tonight I thought he stayed engaged and active (like he has over this run). He played great D. How many seal/pin down blocks on the defender did he have to allow an easy baskets? It’s been a long time since we’ve seen guards consistently just walk in for layups. EC’s speed and spacing have a lot to do with that but Bacot has been a big helper.
Nice post. I love the way he locks out his guy or maybe 2 guys and gives rj or ec an layup drill finish. Absolutely should get an assist for those, right? Just like guys should get assists on made fts that would otherwise be an assist.

bacot does not play with the passion he did two years ago. He has changed.. he has taken the backseat role and I think he is ok with that. His defense has still been great but Ingram has became the main rebounder as well. I guess bacot is still good enough if he is your 4th or 5th best player.

What an impressive young man! He is doing all the dirty work the team needs for success AND he is a Watch List candidate who is willing to sacrifice personal stats for team success! Screens, rebounding, rim protection, free throws, stoning guards on the perimeter might not be sexy but they sure are appreciated!

Wait, peeps said Bacot has no passion????? Do they have eyes?

Last edited:
Bacot is the best screener in college basketball. He is letting the game come to him. No passion? I disagree. But he has matured as a player and doesn't need to be rah-rah, talk trash, etc. He wants to win and is doing what he needs to do.
He didn’t say no passion. But I kinda agree a little with what he said, his passion has just changed from scoring to how he helps the team win in other ways. I think he has totally bought in to just winning at all costs. I feel his body language has changed to be more relaxed and not upset so easy when he doesn’t get the ball. This team is built different and doesn’t have to run through him. To your screener comment I heard the Wake coach said “Bacot sets physical ass screens.” Lol. Great quote.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
He didn’t say no passion. But I kinda agree a little with what he said, his passion has just changed from scoring to how he helps the team win in other ways. I think he has totally bought in to just winning at all costs. I feel his body language has changed to be more relaxed and not upset so easy when he doesn’t get the ball. This team is built different and doesn’t have to run through him. To your screener comment I heard the Wake coach said “Bacot sets physical ass screens.” Lol. Great quote.
Pretty much spot on. I guess what I am trying to say is he doesnt have to be the scorer and rebounder as he did in the past. So many other players on this team now. I think Mando has adapted to this new style and is perfectly ok with his role now. It is odd to see as I am used to seeing the double-double Mando every single night almost. I do feel like he doesnt try as hard on the glass anymore because he believes others will help out more now, which is true. His defense and screens have been phenomenal. I do think he can be a little bit more assertive in trying to score the basketball and rebounding though. He doesnt have to take the backseat completely.

I did feel like Bacot, similar to last season, got off to a slower but the guy is playing his butt off right now, vs Wake was a master class on how to help your team win and not have to score. I have seen Hansbourgh speak to this very topic, Bacot has figured out, he could dominate or he can lead his team to wins and Bacot has decided to win! He is deferring to RJ, just as Hansbourgh did for Ty Lawson, Hansbourgh took a slight step back and handed the keys to Ty, we win the Natty!

Bacot is doing the dirty work, Bacot is doing the dirty work at a extremely high level, what he and Ingram, Ryan as well, is doing is vital to this team winning but you don't see it as much in the box score. Some of those screens Bacot set in that Wake game, I swear they should qualify for assists because they directly led to easy lay ups. The defense Bacot is playing this season is a level or 2 above what he has done in past years, his focus is now on the defensive end and it shows!

Last season was to me a classic example of to many chiefs and not enough injuns, my 1/3rd blackfoot blood allows me to say that! Now we are a lot of injuns, meaning lot of guys willing to do the dirty work and a darn good chief RJ. Withers struggled with that, he used to be a chief, once he embraced being an injun his game spiked up! Role players are vital for any team to consistently win, playing their role and everyone trusting that their mates will play their roles!

Bacot is the best screener in college basketball. He is letting the game come to him. No passion? I disagree. But he has matured as a player and doesn't need to be rah-rah, talk trash, etc. He wants to win and is doing what he needs to do.
OK, he didn't say "no passion" but he said he doesn't play with the passion he did two years ago. That means less passionate, not that his passion has changed. I have no idea what is going on inside his head, passion wise. Does less passion mean he doesn't show emotion? Doesn't play as hard? What the heck does that mean? He isn't scoring and rebounding quite as he has before. He doesn't have to. He is playing good D and, as I said, is a fantastic screener.

Pretty much spot on. I guess what I am trying to say is he doesnt have to be the scorer and rebounder as he did in the past. So many other players on this team now. I think Mando has adapted to this new style and is perfectly ok with his role now. It is odd to see as I am used to seeing the double-double Mando every single night almost. I do feel like he doesnt try as hard on the glass anymore because he believes others will help out more now, which is true. His defense and screens have been phenomenal. I do think he can be a little bit more assertive in trying to score the basketball and rebounding though. He doesnt have to take the backseat completely.
OK, THAT I agree with for the most part. If you look at David Sisk's video breakdown and commentary he has any number of things about Bacot that he praises.

It's no big secret I've never been one of Bacots biggest fans for a number of reasons but I will give him some serious love now for his maturity and finally understanding both his strengths and limitations this year and realizing how he can best contribute to the success of this team. Props to ya Mando and I hope you get to cut down the nets after your last college game.

It's no big secret I've never been one of Bacots biggest fans for a number of reasons but I will give him some serious love now for his maturity and finally understanding both his strengths and limitations this year and realizing how he can best contribute to the success of this team. Props to ya Mando and I hope you get to cut down the nets after your last college game.
I believe what you just described is called LEADERSHIP!

Reactions: gobblercalls
4 shots what's do you expect?? Again, as I previously stated.. this is his new role and he's happy with it. Ingram is just a beast on the boards and taking all rebounds from Bacot. Bacots hands are also weak and he misses a lot of easy rebounds.

"We had to fight so hard to defend Armando Bacot that it opened up opportunities for Harrison Ingram to get all those rebounds and those other guys to drive the basket. That's what great teams do.". Leonard Hamilton after UNC beat FSU.

Straight from the head coach's mouth. Teams are focused on stopping Bacot from scoring and rebounding. His presence directly lifts everyone else on the team by absorbing the focus of the opposing defense.

I would imagine that, at some point, opposing coaches are going to have to say, "let's stop Ingram from rebounding" and not let Carolina's guards drive uncontested to the hoop. When they change that focus. I look for Armando to continue his double double performances.

Pick your poison cause Carolina is special good this year!!

"We had to fight so hard to defend Armando Bacot that it opened up opportunities for Harrison Ingram to get all those rebounds and those other guys to drive the basket. That's what great teams do.". Leonard Hamilton after UNC beat FSU.

Straight from the head coach's mouth. Teams are focused on stopping Bacot from scoring and rebounding. His presence directly lifts everyone else on the team by absorbing the focus of the opposing defense.

I would imagine that, at some point, opposing coaches are going to have to say, "let's stop Ingram from rebounding" and not let Carolina's guards drive uncontested to the hoop. When they change that focus. I look for Armando to continue his double double performances.

Great post…He is playing the best D he has played at UNC IMO…Also Ingram is cleaning the glass because teams are sending 2 guys to block Mondo out…

Defenses have not just started making Bacot a focus point, they have done that for most of the time he has been with us, me saying Bacot is being doubled as as inciteful as me saying water is wet, he is always doubled, he is a walking double double even being constantly doubled up. Unless you have a real shot blocker with good size who isn't going to double a walking double double? LOL

Now I will say that for sure last 2 seasons, Bacot did not have anyone that attacked the boards like Ingram does so even hurting the last 2 seasons Bacot has been a monster on the boards that got very little bench time. He has ended the last 2 seasons on crutches, could there be some tendon damage that is more ongoing than we realize? Have to realize, this kid has a crazy tolerance for pain, he dislocates his hip his freshman season and does not miss a single game?

Defenses have not just started making Bacot a focus point, they have done that for most of the time he has been with us, me saying Bacot is being doubled as as inciteful as me saying water is wet, he is always doubled, he is a walking double double even being constantly doubled up. Unless you have a real shot blocker with good size who isn't going to double a walking double double? LOL

Now I will say that for sure last 2 seasons, Bacot did not have anyone that attacked the boards like Ingram does so even hurting the last 2 seasons Bacot has been a monster on the boards that got very little bench time. He has ended the last 2 seasons on crutches, could there be some tendon damage that is more ongoing than we realize? Have to realize, this kid has a crazy tolerance for pain, he dislocates his hip his freshman season and does not miss a single game?
Yeah, I'm not presenting that Bacot being doubled is "Breaking News", only a reminder for those who may be "under appreciating" Bacot and his contributions to this team. It doesn't matter to me if Bacot scores off a great pass from a guard or a guard scores an uncontested layup because Bacot seals the two bigs hanging on him like a cheap suit. I just don't equate Bacot being "off", uninterested or hurt with the latter.

Is the Bacot playing through injury theory based on any Intel or just a possible scenario? Not asking in a snarky way, just haven't heard it anywhere else.

So you're saying Bacot, who's been here for 5 years, these other teams are just now starting to double team him to where he can't get rebounds and Ingram is now open to get them?? I don't buy that.. I've seen Ingram straight up just out jump Bacot and take them away from him.

So you're saying Bacot, who's been here for 5 years, these other teams are just now starting to double team him to where he can't get rebounds and Ingram is now open to get them?? I don't buy that.. I've seen Ingram straight up just out jump Bacot and take them away from him.
Bacot is doing his job…He is still averaging what 13 and 10…Good god people have to complain about something…Go sit down…

Bacot is doing his job…He is still averaging what 13 and 10…Good god people have to complain about something…Go sit down…
13/10 from the beginning of the year where he started with 2 monster games.. I bet his last 10 games he's more like 6/6.. again, do you really think teams started to double team Bacot 5 years later??

Im not saying bacots defense and screens havnt been good. They've been amazing.. but his rebounding and scoring has been bad. After all, we are talking about Armando Bacot... a guy who's been a walking double double for 4 years now.. UNC's all time rebounding and double double leader.. not just a normal college center..

His hands have been weak.. I've seen him miss some easy rebounds because they fell through his hands and he lost control. That and Ingram is just out hustling him for everything.. I don't think it has to do with anything else. Just my opinion though..

Teams doubling Bacot is nothing new.

What is new is how Hubert is scheming for the obvious double and the weaponry this version of the Heels has at it's disposal to counteract the inevitable doubling.

First, there are much better ball handlers all around the court. The ball doesn't get 'stuck' like it did last year and for most of the year before.

Second, there are much better outside shooters.... sure, RJ has been there for a long time, but he's getting better shots this year, in the right flow of the game, so there's not as much need to pound inside to Mando.

Third, the team is looking to run much more. Bacot gobbled up an easy bucket at FSU simply by being the first down the court. But he isn't there all the time and the offence is already on the go.

As for his defensive rebounds and Ingram 'taking the ball out of his hands' that's true too. But maybe we should appreciate "why".

First, he's never had a dynamic, run-all-around the place PF alongside him like Ingram. Harrison is relentless and is also looking to make his mark, so rebounds that would have comfortably falling into Mando's waiting hands are being snatched away 2-3 feet earlier. I have no problem with it as long as someone from the right team is getting it.

Second, Mando is defending very differently this year... his work from perimeter to under the basket is dogged. But this is also taking him away from rebounding sweet spots which he would have been in previously.

As far as emotion - the only difference I see is contentment. Mando is no longer frustrated with getting hacked, annoyed with getting passes late. His team is winning and it looks like he's bought in to do whatever he can 100%

Okay, I understand everyone's excuse for Bacot.. somewhat. My question is this.. everyone seems perfectly ok with Bacot scoring 5 points and getting 3 rebounds. Saying how amazing he is.. Yet, in every video I have seen on YouTube, or everywhere I read on here, people always say "If Cadeau can get his 3-point shot down we will be unstoppable", "If Cadeau can become an offensive threat we will be unstoppable".. Okay, what if Bacot was still the same Bacot he used to be and averaged a double-double every game?!?!? Would that not help us?? I can make an excuse for Cadeau too.. if Bacot did his usual part, Cadeau wouldn't need to be as big of a threat.. Point being, everyone needs to be involved and at their best in order to be the most dangerous team we can possibly be.

At some point teams will start focusing more defense on RJ and Cadeau on the perimeter. When that happens and defending Bacot is not the focal point for and opponent's gameplan it will be interesting to see if we get the 20/15 Bacot again or UNC tries to force the perimeter game.

As long as Bacot is letting the game come to him and not forcing things the Heels will be okay. He does not have to carry the scoring or rebounding load by himself and I think he realizes and accepts that.

The beautiful thing is, we don't have anything but First World problems this year and peeps can't adjust! I wish more peeps hit 45% of their 3s; I wish Bacot got 20/15 every game; Why can't Ryan hit every three he takes; Hubs needs to not take a timeout right before the half; RJ is going to get posted up; Why does Pax get to play; Hubs should play even more defenses; what if Hubs reverts to the Iron 5; Seth needs to hold his pinky differently when he shoots; Ingram backs down peeps at the wrong time; Withers tries too hard; JWash stepped out of bounds, bench him; Bacot has no passion; Lebo needs to sit in the fourth seat, not the third!

What change would make our record any better?

1st ACC, 3rd NCAA, 10-0 peeps; allow yourself to actually enjoy it for a minute!

Yeah, I'm not presenting that Bacot being doubled is "Breaking News", only a reminder for those who may be "under appreciating" Bacot and his contributions to this team. It doesn't matter to me if Bacot scores off a great pass from a guard or a guard scores an uncontested layup because Bacot seals the two bigs hanging on him like a cheap suit. I just don't equate Bacot being "off", uninterested or hurt with the latter.

Is the Bacot playing through injury theory based on any Intel or just a possible scenario? Not asking in a snarky way, just haven't heard it anywhere else.
It is whispers, I am not going to call it intel but it is not totally my opinion. As I shared, I have heard some whispers but I don't consider it to have the level of cred that has me flatly stating this is the case. I watched to see if I could pick up in anything that may back this up, I did notice a couple little things but if you look hard enough you can see little things with about any player. One fact I do know is that Bacot is a kid that plays thru pain and will not say anything about it if he doesn't have to.

I am going to be looking for any signs tomorrow night for sure because GT does not have any big men that should cause Bacot much trouble, he has a big size advantage over what GT has other than the Douada guy and he has not been playing much, Ngdongo is around 215 I think.

It is whispers, I am not going to call it intel but it is not totally my opinion. As I shared, I have heard some whispers but I don't consider it to have the level of cred that has me flatly stating this is the case. I watched to see if I could pick up in anything that may back this up, I did notice a couple little things but if you look hard enough you can see little things with about any player. One fact I do know is that Bacot is a kid that plays thru pain and will not say anything about it if he doesn't have to.

I am going to be looking for any signs tomorrow night for sure because GT does not have any big men that should cause Bacot much trouble, he has a big size advantage over what GT has other than the Douada guy and he has not been playing much, Ngdongo is around 215 I think.
I'd love to see bacot go for 20 and 15 so everyone can take a breath on him

• Love
You have to know that if he goes 20/15, peeps will only say, "See he only dominates those who are smaller than him!" Shaq couldn't buy a foul and Bacot can't get a break!

The beautiful thing is, we don't have anything but First World problems this year and peeps can't adjust! I wish more peeps hit 45% of their 3s; I wish Bacot got 20/15 every game; Why can't Ryan hit every three he takes; Hubs needs to not take a timeout right before the half; RJ is going to get posted up; Why does Pax get to play; Hubs should play even more defenses; what if Hubs reverts to the Iron 5; Seth needs to hold his pinky differently when he shoots; Ingram backs down peeps at the wrong time; Withers tries too hard; JWash stepped out of bounds, bench him; Bacot has no passion; Lebo needs to sit in the fourth seat, not the third!

What change would make our record any better?

1st ACC, 3rd NCAA, 10-0 peeps; allow yourself to actually enjoy it for a minute!
LOL, Tp, most of this hits on what I have been saying about Hubert this season, as opposed to last. I disagree with some personal rotation decisions, at this point mainly with JWash as I have not been shy in sharing but my disagreements this season are minor, extremely minor when considered against what I watched last season. Be it Roy or Dean I had similar wished they had done it this way type of issues but never what I would call major issues like I watched last season. I do not see major issues this season, what I do see is decisions I love with just minor in the scope of things I would like to see done a little different. That is me saying I am very happy with the job Hubert has done so far this season, he has in effect redeemed himself as long as he stays on the current path.

I would go as far to suggest that right now, it could change for sure but right now I see Hubert as easily ACC COY but as well a strong contender for NCAA COY.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT