ADVERTISEMENT

Berry Breaks Hand - Out for 4 Weeks

Expect no easy wins without Berry. We looked downright awful last year without him. And I don't think we have beat a team from the state of iowa in like 4 years.
Last season to be exact.

But fair point about JB. It's night and day when he's not in the floor, and that has been true since he got here (including his freshman year). If Jalek gets most of the PG minutes that will hopefully mitigate the absence somewhat.

Reactions: Archer2
We didn’t have Jalek last year.

At least on the surface, I will say thank God for Jalek. Really hope he exceeds all expectations while Joel is out.

There were at least 2-3 games last year when Joel hit key shots at critical moments just to keep UNC in the game when the games where slipping away. The Gonzaga game was one of them. I'm happy the first two games are at home. Jalek is the only player on the team that can create a shot off the dribble. If the first two games were on the road. I can see UNC losing at least one of them. I think they take the first two at home by 7-10 points in low scoring games.

TP, BRob, and KW can create a shot off the dribble. So can 7th!

JB can NOT be replaced, but we can take up the slack! I expect 7th and JF to provide that support each in his own way.

When JB returns, he will receive the keys to a machine that is well-oiled and prime to run!

It’s his good buddy. I understand that.

Arch, thou Topps is a great friend as Mike can as well testify to, I don't think either Mike or myself have defended what he says. I don't agree with what he says but way I see it he in his duke house can say what ever he wants to say, just like we in our Tar Heel house will say what ever the heck we want with zero concern how dukies take it.

I keep trying to work thru the 1 character flaw Topps has, his being s nasty dirty rotten rat lovin dukie!!!
It continues to be a work in progress but I keep trying! LOL

Great reminder that these are college kids we're talking about.

If you're over the age of 8 and you throw a tantrum because of a video game, you need to see a psychiatrist. Let alone the captain and senior leader of the defending national champions who hopes to play well enough this year to make it into the NBA.

There is no dressing this up. This is a bad look for Joel.

Doubtful.
Now, if the injury was more lengthy or came at a crucial time? Then maybe --- he did it before with Ginyard if you recall. However the fact we have Jalek likely keeps Theo in his traditional role(s).
Hey @Steat I'm gonna modify my last response. Given Jalek's inexperience and 7th having been in quick foul trouble before Theo may well be an emergency option for the first few games.

If you're over the age of 8 and you throw a tantrum because of a video game, you need to see a psychiatrist. Let alone the captain and senior leader of the defending national champions who hopes to play well enough this year to make it into the NBA.

Come on man. Where are getting "tantrum" from? Anyone of any age can make a quick slap at a floor, wall or whatever is handy over losing or a bad break in a game. It's often a minor whack that ends up breaking something

Reactions: tarheel0910

I think you're taking this a little too serious. Was it stupid? Yes. Is it some horrible stain upon his life? No.

He's a college kid. Lighten up, I'm sure you can remember some stuff you did at 20 years old that might make getting mad over a video game look not that dumb.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7

A kid being a kid. I rather he break it playing video games, then somewhere he "wasn't supposed to be." It's called living life. Things happen

He's a college kid. Lighten up, I'm sure you can remember some stuff you did at 20 years old that might make getting mad over a video game look not that dumb.

I also wasn't the captain and senior leader PG for the defending national champions that has aspirations of playing NBA ball either. In other words, it's no big deal for me to have acted like a fool. That is not the case with Berry.

Come on man. Where are getting "tantrum" from? Anyone of any age can make a quick slap at a floor, wall or whatever is handy over losing or a bad break in a game. It's often a minor whack that ends up breaking something

He broke his hand gary. That doesn't happen unless there's a lot of force behind it. Yes, that is absolutely a "tantrum" and a terrible look for a guy that is supposed to be "calm and cool under pressure".

I think you're taking this a little too serious. Was it stupid? Yes. Is it some horrible stain upon his life? No.

I didn't say it was a horrible stain on his life. But I assure you that if I were a GM and I was about to use a second round pick on a guy that might help my team and I needed a PG, I might go for the one that didn't use incredibly poor judgement and jeopardize his team's season by breaking his hand in a fit of rage. Mind you this fit of rage was not because someone kicked his dog or slapped his girlfriend on the ass. It was because he lost a f*cking video game.

Jesus no wonder they kept it quiet. Tad embarrassing to miss a month because you lost a video game lol.
needs to learn some self control if he broke it after losing to theo in a video game!

th

I didn't say it was a horrible stain on his life. But I assure you that if I were a GM and I was about to use a second round pick on a guy that might help my team and I needed a PG, I might go for the one that didn't use incredibly poor judgement and jeopardize his team's season by breaking his hand in a fit of rage. Mind you this fit of rage was not because someone kicked his dog or slapped his girlfriend on the ass. It was because he lost a f*cking video game.
LOL at the idea that an NBA GM cares about anything besides potential and measurables.

Oh Ive no doubt he thinks its dumb. However I doubt hes going to refer JB to a psychiatrist such as you said in your post just because he made a dumb mistake that any kid could make. Big difference.

I have no doubt that tonight over dinner, Roy and Wanda will talk about how incredibly stupid it was for Joel to break his hand because of his anger over a f*cking video game. In fact, I'm betting on Roy calling Joel out publicly and forcing Joel to answer questions on it soon. And you'll see that Joel will say exactly what Roy has told him to say:

"This was incredibly stupid on my part. I'm supposed to be the leader of this team and I made a very poor decision. I have to be better. I will be better."

I have no doubt that tonight over dinner, Roy and Wanda will talk about how incredibly stupid it was for Joel to break his hand because of his anger over a f*cking video game. In fact, I'm betting on Roy calling Joel out publicly and forcing Joel to answer questions on it soon. And you'll see that Joel will say exactly what Roy has told him to say:

"This was incredibly stupid on my part. I'm supposed to be the leader of this team and I made a very poor decision. I have to be better. I will be better."

Whats your point? They are handling it as expected. They also arent making more of it than it is. The way youre acting youd think he bought an 8 ball and was selling it in the doorms.

Yeah, no one cares about a PG's temperament and decision making. You must be new to basketball.

Yeah because thats clearly in question after he led the team to back to back national title games . Seriously could you be any more obtuse about this?

Whats your point? They are handling it as expected. They also arent making more of it than it is. The way youre acting youd think he bought an 8 ball and was selling it in the doorms.

Why? Because I'm calling it what it is - a dumbass move? How is that making more of it than it is? I haven't said I want him kicked off the team.

Yeah because thats clearly in question after he led the team to back to back national title games . Seriously could you be any more obtuse about this?

A senior leader preseason All-American and one of the faces of college basketball this season breaks his hand right before the season starts because of his anger of a video game. Yep, nothing to see here. Move along.

Yeah, no one cares about a PG's temperament and decision making. You must be new to basketball.
In the NBA they don't. They don't care about behavior off the court unless you hit a woman. Blake Griffin punched a dude in the face and he got a max contract and is being propped up as the face of the franchise. That's just one example.

Why? Because I'm calling it what it is - a dumbass move? How is that making more of it than it is? I haven't said I want him kicked off the team.
No, you're just suggesting he should get psychiatric help. Huge overreaction.

A senior leader preseason All-American and one of the faces of college basketball this season breaks his hand right before the season starts because of his anger of a video game. Yep, nothing to see here. Move along.

And I guarantee you it wont have any impact on whether or where Joel gets drafted. They also wont require that Joel receive Psychiatric counsel because of it either. Your'e so far off the mark here its laughable. It was a dumb thing a 21 year old kid did, we agree. But its nothing more than that.

In the NBA they don't. They don't care about behavior off the court unless you hit a woman. Blake Griffin punch a dude in the face and he got a max contract and is being propped up as the face of the franchise. That's just one example.

Blake Griffin is a bona fide NBA talent. Berry is a fringe NBA player. Give me an example of a guy of Berry's pay grade and you might be on to something.

No, you're just suggesting he should get psychiatric help. Huge overreaction.

hy·per·bo·le
[hīˈpərbəlē]
NOUN
  1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
exaggeration · overstatement · magnification · embroidery · embellishment · excess · overkill · rhetoric · purple prose · puffery

This seems to be an habitual error for you so I figured if I poasted the definition here, you could refer back to it in the future.

He broke his hand gary. That doesn't happen unless there's a lot of force behind it. Yes, that is absolutely a "tantrum" and a terrible look for a guy that is supposed to be "calm and cool under pressure".
Sorry but BS. The slightest contact at the wrong angle can break a bone in a hand. That is a fact and I've seen it happen.

In college a buddy and I were playing indoor "horse" on a Nerf hoop, and I somehow made this ridiculous shot called off the ceiling fan, and damned if he didn't almost match it, just rimmed out. Half in frustration and half cutting up he took a half-hearted feint swing at the hoop, and accidentally caught his thumb on the edge of the door sill where the hoop was mounted and broke it bigger than sh**. As I said he wasn't even making a real swing --- just caught it the wrong way swinging at air and he walked around in a cast for next several weeks.

BTW: If I had to guess I would say JB probably has a hairline fracture at most. If it was a full fracture on a hand we'd be talking 6 weeks at least.

And also BTW: Come on, man. You're questioning JB's cool under pressure? WOW. JUST WOW.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
Hey @Steat I'm gonna modify my last response. Given Jalek's inexperience and 7th having been in quick foul trouble before Theo may well be an emergency option for the first few games.

Nice move Gary, especially when Theo mentioned in his presser earlier today that he has been running some 1 in practice with Berry out. You see that presser yet? Ummm? The truth will set you free...lol

Sorry but BS. The slightest contact at the wrong angle can break a bone in a hand. That is a fact and I've seen it happen.

In college a buddy and I were playing indoor "horse" on a Nerf hoop, and I somehow made this ridiculous shot called off the ceiling fan, and damned if he didn't almost match it, just rimmed out. Half in frustration and half cutting up he took a half-hearted feint swing at the hoop, and accidentally caught his thumb on the edge of the door sill where the hoop was mounted and broke it bigger than sh**. As I said he wasn't even making a real swing --- just caught it the wrong way swinging at air and he walked around in a cast for next several weeks.

BTW: If I had to guess I would say JB probably has a hairline fracture at most. If it was a full fracture on a hand we'd be talking 6 weeks at least.

And also BTW: Come on, man. You're questioning JB's cool under pressure? WOW. JUST WOW.
No sense in arguing with him. God himself could tell him he was wrong and he wouldn't admit it. It's a common theme with him.

Reactions: JuleZ '02 HEEL
You could have stopped here. I don't really care about anything else you wrote.

whaaa I know Im wrong so Im just gonna pretend everything the other person wrote doesnt exist. How grown up of you.

"His ass is so tight, that if you shoved a lump of coal up there, in 2 weeks-youd have a diamond"-Bueller.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT