ADVERTISEMENT

Berry Breaks Hand - Out for 4 Weeks

I agree. It's a mistake, and while ultimately understandable it's not the same as you or I breaking our hand after losing a video game, so let's not pretend that it is. Berry has a huge season ahead of him, and potentially millions of dollars if he plays well enough.

As an athlete his body is everything, so the decision calculus is way different than the average college student. It didn't cost me or anyone else anything if I broke my hand (minus a bit of pain and a small doctor's bill), as it didn't effect my studying or my minimum wage work at the campus store. A little different when you're the senior captain of the defending national champions at UNC.
Come on guys. It's frustrating but don't fall for overstatement. BSPN irresponsibly called it a "tantrum" while the description in their own damned article was nothing of the sort. Theo even said it was a "freak accident", which tells me JB wasn't trying to do damage to anything enough to warrant an injury. He could just as easily have broken something catching himself slipping on a step or something. These things happen.

Reactions: shun1 and UNCPJH81
We must have some puritan m'fers in here based on some of these holier than thou posts. I bet none of you when you were 20 ever did any drugs or moonshine or any of the devils offerings. oh but I forgot hes a basketball player so he best be pure as the driven snow. Some of you are gross.

Come on guys. It's frustrating but don't fall for overstatement. BSPN irresponsibly called it a "tantrum" while the description in their own damned article was nothing of the sort. Theo even said it was a "freak accident", which tells me JB wasn't trying to do damage to anything enough to warrant an injury. He could just as easily have broken something catching himself slipping on a step or something. These things happen.
I agree that it probably wasn't a "tantrum". The truth is we don't know the exact circumstances, and never will. But I don't think we can excuse it just because we might have done the same thing (and I've never punched a wall in frustration, though a roommate did in college and actually broke a bone in his hand too).

Elite athletes ought to be held to a different standard. Their bodies are the their primary career value (which is why you often see things like "no riding motorcycles" written into their contracts, which you would never see for an accountant). In all likelyhood Berry just slammed his hand on impulse without thinking, but it was still a pretty silly thing to do. That's all I'm saying.

We must have some puritan m'fers in here based on some of these holier than thou posts. I bet none of you when you were 20 ever did any drugs or moonshine or any of the devils offerings. oh but I forgot hes a basketball player so he best be pure as the driven snow. Some of you are gross.
It has nothing to do with being puritan. Elite athletes have to be much more careful with injuries than the general population, because their careers depend on being in top shape. Obviously mistakes will happen no matter how careful you are, but you have to try to prevent what you can.

I agree that it probably wasn't a "tantrum". The truth is we don't know the exact circumstances, and never will. But I don't think we can excuse it just because we might have done the same thing (and I've never punched a wall in frustration, though a roommate did in college and actually broke a bone in his hand too).

Elite athletes ought to be held to a different standard. Their bodies are the their primary career value (which is why you often see things like "no riding motorcycles" written into their contracts, which you would never see for an accountant). In all likelyhood Berry just slammed his hand on impulse without thinking, but it was still a pretty silly thing to do. That's all I'm saying.

It has nothing to do with being puritan. Elite athletes have to be much more careful with injuries than the general population, because their careers depend on being in top shape. Obviously mistakes will happen no matter how careful you are, but you have to try to prevent what you can.
Hmm.. I suppose we could require them to live in bubbles.

Reactions: shun1
I never said or implied that.

I'm guessing he'll get drafted in the second round. But that every GM would have passed on him the first time for his basketball ability, not tantrums.
Come on guys. How are we even comparing JB's freak accident with Jack Tripper's out-of-control on-court behavior? Good grief. And yes, actual on-court idiocy like he perpetrated would absolutely affect Allen's draft status. They can't afford to waste draft picks on head cases.

Let's just look close to home --- many folks around the game will tell you Rashad McCants would still be in the NBA if he wasn't a wack-job. Dude is a prototype NBA 2-Guard with unlimited range and can still score on anybody. Instead he washed out in short order. Allen couldn't carry Rashad's jock but is still a capable enough player to get drafted. If anything keeps him out or drops him it will be his behavior.

Come on guys. How are we even comparing JB's freak accident with Jack Tripper's out-of-control on-court behavior? Good grief. And yes, actual on-court idiocy like he perpetrated would absolutely affect Allen's draft status. They can't afford to waste draft picks on head cases.

Let's just look close to home --- many folks around the game will tell you Rashad McCants would still be in the NBA if he wasn't a wack-job. Dude is a prototype NBA 2-Guard with unlimited range and can still score on anybody. Instead he washed out in short order. Allen couldn't carry Rashad's jock but is still a capable enough player to get drafted. If anything keeps him out or drops him it will be his behavior.
Agreed. Allen could be in Carolina blue and I'd still have trouble supporting him. He is not the guy I'd want on my team.

I never said or implied that.

I'm guessing he'll get drafted in the second round. But that every GM would have passed on him the first time for his basketball ability, not tantrums.

You do realize if he came out after his sophomore year he was without a doubt going in the first round right?

Last edited:

My original post was to GSD. And at the end I added that what Grayson Allen did was a tantrum. In an earlier post he called what Berry did a tantrum.

I remember indeed. Difference here is (and I pretty much guarantee) if someone pulls that mess on JB they can expect a forearm shiver or a shoulder-check that'll make em think twice about poking the Dog :eek:. Someone should ask ol' Grayson how that felt when JB stymied one of his trip attempts.

Seriously arch, I think you're overstating something that's just a human impulse. Like I said above he would just as likely broke something with a half-hearted punch or just cuttin' up. Really has nothing to do with leadership. I think Roy's comment was spot on.

The odd thing in this thread is this disappointment in Joel for this? And while I do understand the emotion what folks should realize is the very thing we love so much about Joel is his refuse to lose combative nature. You don't just turn that off and on like a switch, it is there no matter what you compete in. Recall for example the stories of Jordan playing golf, same as Joel in that he hated to lose in anything and anything means anything.

It wasn't just a video game folks, it was Joel competing at something, we can say it was just a silly video game but to Joel it was competition, Joel does not take losing well, I don't want him to either.

the very thing we love so much about Joel is his refuse to lose combative nature

This x 1,000!

Peeps like the Nasty Dog are ultra competitive and this very nature is what helps him overcome his size limitations. I love him for it and this is just the slightly problematic side of it! Nothing to see here and Roy knows it. Far from disappointed or very surprised, I bet Roy is just shaking his head and is glad this happened so early!

Keep on pounding Dog!

Reactions: gary-7
You guys are funny.

You act like Joel doesn't have the ability to distinguish the difference between a video game and a real game through his insane competitive nature. Come on.

He's a great competitor who also made a dumb mistake that 22 year old kids make. Justifying a dumb mistake with "he's a great competitor at video games" sounds ridiculous.

Reactions: Ozheelfan
I love Joel's competitive nature, but it's still crazy that this injury happened because of a video game. The only good thing is that happened now. If he makes a full recovery before the ACC schedule begins, I'm fine with it.

It's suuuuuuper dumb, and he deserves criticism for it.

It's also not really a reflection of his character.
You don't have any idea of how dumb it was or wasn't, or as Theo said, "a freak accident", or whatever in between.

Hopefully the second sentence is obvious.

You don't have any idea of how dumb it was or wasn't, or as Theo said, "a freak accident", or whatever in between.

Hopefully the second sentence is obvious.

Breaking your hand by punching a door is dumb, because punching a door is dumb.

There's no need for nuance here.

I would bet Berry himself would be the first to admit it was stupid. Do you (collective you, all the people defending him) really think he would deny that? We have all made stupid mistakes without thinking.

Reactions: pln2013
Of course there is. None of us were there.
Whether he punched the door or slapped it, he did it hard enough to break a bone in his hand. That was foolish and I think Joel would be the first to say so. And yes, Roy is covering for him.

It is not an insult to Joel’s character to say he made a dumb mistake. We all make them. I hope it turns out to be a harmless mistake.

He hit a wall cause he was frustrated over a vid game. Lets not try to spin it into anything else. Roy confirmed that with his ping pong comparison. Lets just own the fact. Yea losing self control and risking your livelihood is stupid and he deserves catching shyt for it. But i aint judging him. I’ve raised kids. Hell i even was a kid.

We can be pretty confident he punched a door. Because we were told he punched a door.

Punching a door is dumb.
And we were also told by someone who was there it was a "freak accident". Again. You have no idea what actually occurred... and BTW, nuance is always important.
Dead horse. Stop beating it.

Whether he punched the door or slapped it, he did it hard enough to break a bone in his hand. That was foolish and I think Joel would be the first to say so. And yes, Roy is covering for him.

It is not an insult to Joel’s character to say he made a dumb mistake. We all make them. I hope it turns out to be a harmless mistake.
Not saying otherwise, but this subject has taken a sadly predictable turn from others ITT into something WAY beyond what it was.

If someone sits down and plans "duh... I think I'll go hit a door today", that's dumb. Doing it on a spur of the moment is human --- one of the many foolish but human things people often do. And again, it doesn't have to be very hard to break a bone in a hand. Hell, you can hit a door with a KO punch and not break anything if you hit it right... or you can catch it at the wrong angle and f*** something up with relatively little impact.

Bottom line is JB unfortunately ended up with a broken bone in a foolish, albeit normally harmless, display of human reaction. Nothing more nothing less. No reason to do anything else as a Carolina fan other than shake your head and say "damn". And contrary to a silly notion elsewhere ITT, Roy ain't covering for him with the ping-pong paddle story --- just telling it like it is.

I'm not going to argue with you Gary, because you don't believe Joel can do any wrong. I assure you that Roy's discussion with Joel was distinctly different from the coach speak he used in the presser.

No, it obviously wasn't premeditated. Yes, it was dumb. And it wasn't a normal reaction to losing a freakin' video game. I love competitive fire but come on man.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I'm not going to argue with you Gary, because you don't believe Joel can do any wrong. I assure you that Roy's discussion with Joel was distinctly different from the coach speak he used in the presser.

No, it obviously wasn't premeditated. Yes, it was dumb. And it wasn't a normal reaction to losing a freakin' video game. I love competitive fire but come on man.
SeriousIy? I think Joel can "do no wrong?" GMAB Arch. Silly cracks like that don't accomplish anything. I don't think any such thing and I expressed my exasperation over the incident in my initial post on the matter, and woud have had the same reaction had it been any other team member.

Unlike others however, I just tried to keep it in perspective as opposed to making a damned federal case out of it, or worse, unfounded assumptions about "tantrums" or how hard he hit something. And tell ya what... give me a transcript of what you can assure me Roy said to Joel. I'd be willing to bet it was more on the lines of sarcasm.... like the grief his teammates have probably been dishing.
:rolleyes:

What's done is done and Joel is on the shelf for a month or so. Hopefully, he will continue his torrid shooting when he returns because we sorely need it this year. And that's my last word on the matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT