ADVERTISEMENT

Berry Breaks Hand - Out for 4 Weeks

Obviously sucks for the young man but I'm sure he will make a strong recovery. As stated, at least it happened early - should give some of the younger players a chance to gain some valuable experience.

Ok, so not good but let me try to put touch of positive spin to this tuff news. Last season we lost Theo before the season, got him back and he helped us make it thru but one of the positives that happened due to that is I do think more people see kenny in a better light now, his extended PT last season allowed for a sharp uptick in his performances from his frosh season. Unfortunately when we were finally able to get Theo back Kenny went down for the rest of the season. But even with that, maybe BRob got a few more minutes than he would have and maybe that will pay dividends this season, I hear he has had a really good off season and is poised to show his own uptick in games this season.

So with Joel down for a month, thank goodness he can run to stay in condition, that means Jalek and 7th get big time minutes to develop in a part of our season where we have non-conference games mostly and several games we should cruise thru, at least on paper. Those extra minutes early have a way of paying off late.

IN addition, I think a lot of Jaleks minutes were going to come at the 2, if kenny is back and healthy clearly he gets a lot of minutes at the 2, and word is both BRob and 7th were looking for some minutes at the 2 as well. If now Jalek gets most of his at the point now and 7th becomes the primary back up for a freshman at the point, it frees minutes for BRob at the 2, it lightens that log jam a good bit.

We know what Joel can do, we don't about some of these other kids and they need PT to develop, this gives it to them, unfortunate circumstances can sometimes play out for the best in the end, maybe this is one of those cases.

If he's only out 4 weeks, he probably won't miss that many meaningful games.

Reactions: RP12
It really is unbelievable how many injuries this program suffers. I just hope this doesn't have lingering effects on Berry throughout the season.

On a positive note, we are about to see first hand how special Jakek Felton really is. I look for him to be the starter and really look good running the show.

I agree with it being a possible positive for Felton and Woods to get more time. But my question is, how does it hurt everyone else on the floor, losing our Sr. point guard and leader of the team? But like others have said, it's better that it happened early.

I agree with it being a possible positive for Felton and Woods to get more time. But my question is, how does it hurt everyone else on the floor, losing our Sr. point guard and leader of the team? But like others have said, it's better that it happened early.

Obviously, losing our starting point guard is not good, but at least he will have time to get completely healthy before the ACC schedule begins. I don't think leadership will be an issue. Joel will still be the leader of this team even while he's out, and Theo will provide leadership on the court.

Well, yet again a VITAL part of the team gets hurt. This has happened over and over and over year after year and still we persevere

Joel is as tough as they come and this guy will be a back A S AP

get well JB

This is a nightmare situation. Anyone trying to put a positive spin on this is fooling themselves. He's more important to the success of this year's team than any player in recent memory. Sure, it's only 4 weeks. But that's 4 weeks of not shooting, less conditioning, less chemistry building with teammates, etc.

"Approximately 4 weeks" is pretty squishy, but likely means that we play Stanford and the PK80 tournament without Joel. Possibly Michigan, as well.

Some rough competition for Jalek and Seventh to handle. But a darn good test of their fitness for PG.

Sounds like Joel will be fine. So I'm just going to look forward to seeing more of Jalek and Seventh (and probably guys like Kenny and BRob, too).

How does this affect small ball? I suspect most of us picture small ball with Joel in there for shooting and leadership.

Do we try less small ball until Berry gets back?

Early last year, when there was speculation that Joel would go pro, I wasn't too worried because I was imagining a backcourt of Felton and Woods.

Now Seventh struggled as a frosh, but I fully expect him to bloom this year. So, while I would rather ease into it, this is still a backcourt I'm excited to see.

I hope they get to play together a decent amount while Berry is out.

Obviously sucks for the young man but I'm sure he will make a strong recovery. As stated, at least it happened early - should give some of the younger players a chance to gain some valuable experience.
Hey, that's the only was we can look at it --- that, and it's better to happen now than later.

Let us hope Jalek starts from game-1 and soaks in that valuable experience. Could obviously pay dividends down the road.

This is a nightmare situation. Anyone trying to put a positive spin on this is fooling themselves. He's more important to the success of this year's team than any player in recent memory. Sure, it's only 4 weeks. But that's 4 weeks of not shooting, less conditioning, less chemistry building with teammates, etc.
Conditioning won't be an issue with a hand. The chemistry guiding the young pups is my biggest worry.

Four weeks puts us around November 21. Then Berry gets 20 minutes in the PK 80 in the easy first round game. The first 2 games are at home and should be victories with Jalek and Seventh getting some valuable experience before the friendly home crowd. Cam and Bird may go for 20+ in those games with Joel not playing

The only game that concerns me over the first 4 weeks is the Stanford game. Not having Joel running the show in front of a hostile road crowd is going to be tough on the team. I'm convinced that the Heels need to get a #1 or 2 seed to make it back to the Final Four. Just need to avoid the early season losses which will drop the Heels in the ranking reducing the chances for a #1 seed.

Four weeks puts us around November 21.
You are right. I was counting my weeks wrong.

Whew!

Bucknell and Stanford could still be problems.

Without Berry, Bucknell is a potential trap game. Undersized but they return all starters from a 26-9 team that only lost to WVa by 6 in the NCAAT.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Man I hate this for the kid. He gets his ankles strengthened and then this happens. Too bad he's not amphibious like Nate.
Well 4 weeks is extremely optimistic for a hand fracture to fully heal and it's his shooting hand so be prepared for it to be closer to 6 weeks than 4.

You are right. I was counting my weeks wrong.

Whew!

Bucknell and Stanford could still be problems.

Without Berry, Bucknell is a potential trap game. Undersized but they return all starters from a 26-9 team that only lost to WVa by 6 in the NCAAT.

Good thing the game is at home. Someone will need to go off in that game to replace Joel's points. I hoping it is Cam.....something like 25 pts....

I see people always compare Woods to Russell Westbrook coming out of high school. Russell got a huge boost running point when Darren Collison got hurt his 2nd season. Hopefully, Woods can have the same type of impact with Joel missing time.

Reactions: MWHeels
Four weeks puts us around November 21. Then Berry gets 20 minutes in the PK 80 in the easy first round game. The first 2 games are at home and should be victories with Jalek and Seventh getting some valuable experience before the friendly home crowd. Cam and Bird may go for 20+ in those games with Joel not playing

The only game that concerns me over the first 4 weeks is the Stanford game. Not having Joel running the show in front of a hostile road crowd is going to be tough on the team. I'm convinced that the Heels need to get a #1 or 2 seed to make it back to the Final Four. Just need to avoid the early season losses which will drop the Heels in the ranking reducing the chances for a #1 seed.

LOL, you my bud steat and I sure wish I could see this like you do. Honestly, I am not so worried with #1 seedings or undefeated in non-conference games, to me this is much more a rebuilding season. I think we can be a pretty darn good team by late season but I as well expect growing pains early on. Think about it, we have 1 guy that started every game last season on our roster, we have what, a total of 3 guys on our roster that have ever started a game for us and one of them just broke his hand and another is just coming off major injury and 2 separate procedures? We do not have a single front court players that has started for us and we feature 4 freshman bigs and a reserve that was a former walk on.

Just sayin, I expect things to be a good bit shaky early on, expect us to drop a couple games we are not expecting but slowly Roy will iron the kinks out and if we can stay healthy be a hard out late season and in the post season. Honestly, I think we can be an elite 8 team but will be really hard for us to advance past that point, hope we are better than that but that is my expectation.

Reactions: shun1 and MWHeels
Hey, that's the only was we can look at it --- that, and it's better to happen now than later.

Let us hope Jalek starts from game-1 and soaks in that valuable experience. Could obviously pay dividends down the road.

My exact thoughts as well.

Marcus' injury 2 years ago really helped JB. Hopefully this makes us a deeper team come February/March.

Reactions: gary-7 and MWHeels
LOL, you my bud steat and I sure wish I could see this like you do. Honestly, I am not so worried with #1 seedings or undefeated in non-conference games, to me this is much more a rebuilding season. I think we can be a pretty darn good team by late season but I as well expect growing pains early on. Think about it, we have 1 guy that started every game last season on our roster, we have what, a total of 3 guys on our roster that have ever started a game for us and one of them just broke his hand and another is just coming off major injury and 2 separate procedures? We do not have a single front court players that has started for us and we feature 4 freshman bigs and a reserve that was a former walk on.

Just sayin, I expect things to be a good bit shaky early on, expect us to drop a couple games we are not expecting but slowly Roy will iron the kinks out and if we can stay healthy be a hard out late season and in the post season. Honestly, I think we can be an elite 8 team but will be really hard for us to advance past that point, hope we are better than that but that is my expectation.

Damm Dave, you killed my enthusiasm...;)

Good thing the game is at home. Someone will need to go off in that game to replace Joel's points. I hoping it is Cam.....something like 25 pts....
Another side-affect of this is that with the 2-Guard rotation thinned for a couple of weeks (by Jalek and 7th having to spend time at the 1) Platek will likely get a few more minutes in the rotation. That is a very good thing for both him and us.

Another side-affect of this is that with the 2-Guard rotation thinned for a couple of weeks (by Jalek and 7th having to spend time at the 1) Platek will likely get a few more minutes in the rotation. That is a very good thing for both him and us.

I'll add B-Rob to that as well. Both kids have ability, glad they'll get early minutes to show it.

Reactions: SorryNotSorry
Roy will find a way to help this young team overcome this adversity. The Heels will be fine.

Reactions: shun1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT