ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Talk

I'd definitely hate it, but at this point we might be better off if the game got cancelled. This one won't be competitive unless A&M completely shits the bed or Sam has the game of his life. Might need both tbh

Reactions: uncfootball-
Heels need to look at the portal to pick up a running back for next year. My vote would be TJ Pledger. He s sort of built like Carter.

Javonte Williams now opts out and will enter draft.

This might not be a popular view but it is what it is.

If a player opts out of a bowl game that player should be removed from the team he shouldnt be able to travel with the team or be on the sidelines. They should get any gifts from bowls. There should also be a clause in the signing for the scolly that says if you opts out of a bowl you have to pay your scolly back with the first NFL contract. Along with that it should say that if a player signs and the coach leaves or if fired before that player is on campus he should be able to transfer with no penalty.

I know the bowls are some what meaningless but the school has a lot invested also!

They're going to get destroyed, now!

Going to be some huge shoes to fill next year, too.

Plenty of talent on the roster to make the game competitive. As far as next year — they return Sam, entire O-line, Beau, Khafre, Simmons, Rose, Downs, 9 starters on D and a top 10-15 class coming in. Will be fine at RB whether it’s the guys on the current roster, the 4 star coming in or if they get another one in the portal.

Reactions: heelfan1961

If a player opts out of a bowl game that player should be removed from the team he shouldnt be able to travel with the team or be on the sidelines. They should get any gifts from bowls. There should also be a clause in the signing for the scolly that says if you opts out of a bowl you have to pay your scolly back with the first NFL contract. Along with that it should say that if a player signs and the coach leaves or if fired before that player is on campus he should be able to transfer with no penalty.

I know the bowls are some what meaningless but the school has a lot invested also!
I agree about removing them from the team. They shouldn't be allowed to be at practice or travel with the team. They've decided not to play, so they aren't on the team.

agree with this, but how do we know mack isn’t at least doing what he can from the current team’s standpoint?...it’s a distraction at the very least because certainly they’d be allowed access to media and be on social media leading up to and at the destination.

usually, or two cases that i recall, players that “opt out” of post-season are left at home.

the clause part, good luck with that.

Nah, play the game and get guys experience going into next year.

I want them to play. I'd be pissed if it got cancelled. The silver lining is that those future horses will get a chance to stretch their legs. If we win the ACC with no more than 1 loss next year then we're in the playoff regardless of how this game goes. This gives the young guys a chance to play against a high level opponent before going into the offseason. Shit, maybe an ass kicking would motivate them to get after it all summer.

The problem is that it's a big missed opportunity in terms of a potential recruiting boost and hype for the program. I'm willing to bet there would even be a significant uptick in Ram's Club donations if we won the Orange Bowl. Plus, nobody wants to be like Notre Dame and go to NY6 bowls and playoff games just to get curb stomped.

Those guys opting out can help sell the program and University in ways that not even Mack will ever be able to. Small price to pay for a plane ticket and a hotel room.

I want them to play. I'd be pissed if it got cancelled. The silver lining is that those future horses will get a chance to stretch their legs. If we win the ACC with no more than 1 loss next year then we're in the playoff regardless of how this game goes. This gives the young guys a chance to play against a high level opponent before going into the offseason. Shit, maybe an ass kicking would motivate them to get after it all summer.

The problem is that it's a big missed opportunity in terms of a potential recruiting boost and hype for the program. I'm willing to bet there would even be a significant uptick in Ram's Club donations if we won the Orange Bowl. Plus, nobody wants to be like Notre Dame and go to NY6 bowls and playoff games just to get curb stomped.

I don't see it as a missed opportunity at all. You don't think the program got an uptick in donations after a 36 point win on the road against a top 10 team and later on an Orange Bowl birth? Recruiting is fine either way, take a look at the last week with multiple 4 star kids committing for 22. Wait until the NFL Draft when recruits see Brown, Carter, Chazz, Williams and possibly Dazz drafted.

Michael Carter and Javonte making a selfish business/employment decision as college kids doesn't diminish all the great things they did the past few yrs as heels.

Michael Carter and Javonte making a selfish business/employment decision as college kids doesn't diminish all the great things they did the past few yrs as heels.

I agree but they made a commitment to the school just like the school did for them. I agree they should be able to make that decision but there should be consequences for it.

Signing with the school is no different contract than the NFL contract. If they break it there will be consequences.

Its not like leaving early after the season its quitting on the school and team. JMHO!

Reactions: Green C14
I don't see it as a missed opportunity at all. You don't think the program got an uptick in donations after a 36 point win on the road against a top 10 team and later on an Orange Bowl birth? Recruiting is fine either way, take a look at the last week with multiple 4 star kids committing for 22. Wait until the NFL Draft when recruits see Brown, Carter, Chazz, Williams and possibly Dazz drafted.

Winning the Orange bowl would give an even bigger boost in recruiting and donations than curb stomping Miami did. I didn't say recruiting won't be fine if we lose, but I do think it's possible that it could help us land one or two highly touted guys that we might otherwise miss out on.

I do think getting guys drafted will be helpful as well.

Reactions: Archer2
It diminishes their legacy. You think they should be remembered in the same way as any other back? I remember Gio for limping on the field to return a punt in a meaningless game against moo. JW and Carter will never have that respect and love from me. Them opting out will be their legacy.

It diminishes their legacy. You think they should be remembered in the same way as any other back? I remember Gio for limping on the field to return a punt in a meaningless game against moo. JW and Carter will never have that respect and love from me. Them opting out will be their legacy.

If Javonte had decided to go pro but still play the bowl game he would’ve instantly become one of the most beloved UNC players of all time.

I agree but they made a commitment to the school just like the school did for them. I agree they should be able to make that decision but there should be consequences for it.

Signing with the school is no different contract than the NFL contract. If they break it there will be consequences.

Its not like leaving early after the season its quitting on the school and team. JMHO!

they committed to the school to play football...to my knowledge, they committed without any assurances theyd get playing time, a title, or even a win...they finish their commitment each year as do all athletes...they finished their commitment to play football and attend classes through this year...how would you feel if javonte played in the bowl game, but then in february said screw it, i’m going pro, i’m not going to class anymore?

if you start asking players to remain with the team until the season and post-season are over, then you better start paying them even if they aren’t considered pro prospects.

they committed to the school to play football...to my knowledge, they committed without any assurances theyd get playing time, a title, or even a win...they finish their commitment each year as do all athletes...they finished their commitment to play football and attend classes through this year...how would you feel if javonte played in the bowl game, but then in february said screw it, i’m going pro, i’m not going to class anymore?

if you start asking players to remain with the team until the season and post-season are over, then you better start paying them even if they aren’t considered pro prospects.
The season isn't over though. It's not over until January 3rd.

The season isn't over though. It's not over until January 3rd.

it was over when school ended...they don’t have to continue to play to remain eligible.

but yes, if they committed to play football to fedora through post-season, they should’ve kept going...they didn’t, though.

they have no other time commitments to the university.

If Javonte had decided to go pro but still play the bowl game he would’ve instantly become one of the most beloved UNC players of all time.
If... if, he had done that. He didn't do that. He bailed on his teammates, his coaches, the school, and the fans. Everything he and Carter WERE at the end of the Miami game, is gone to me. Hopefully they can be a tool or an example to get better replacements that won't abandon the team when they need them the most. An Orange Bowl appearance for this school is enormous. If they had any love for that school, the team, etc., they'd be playing.

The mention of Bernard earlier was perfect. I totally understand wanting to go pro and get paid. But, in my eyes, you're not finished with your college team yet.

it was over when school ended...they don’t have to continue to play to remain eligible.

but yes, if they committed to play football to fedora through post-season, they should’ve kept going...they didn’t, though.

they have no other time commitments to the university.
Them being eligible for school is irrelevant to this conversation. The bowl game is part of the season. There are three parts to a season. The preseason, regular season and the post season. This isn't really debatable. If they want to quit, they can. They have every right to do so. That doesn't mean that they get to keep their standing in UNC history.

We normally agree Bear, but not here. I think it’s a huge missed opportunity for our program. A win in the Orange Bowl against a top 5 team would have helped our recruiting more than beating Miami badly. It would have made a statement about where our program is heading. Now our chances of winning are very slim, very slim indeed. A bad beat down against A&M negates much of the season.
I agree. It has forever altered my perception of them. They’ve let down their teammates, the staff, the university, and the fans. Perhaps it’s time to shut down all sports scholarships and abandon any pretense of the student athlete at the collegiate level.

Last edited:
Reactions: strummingram
  • Love
Reactions: strummingram
It funny how everyone are downing our plays for opting out the bowl game. The coaches and teammates. Are behind them and understand why. One bad play and it could end their career

It funny how everyone are downing our plays for opting out the bowl game. The coaches and teammates. Are behind them and understand why. One bad play and it could end their career
I keep seeing this take and it's just horrible. Of course Mack is going to say he's ok with this. Do you honestly think he's going to say exactly how he feels about this? He can't. He has to think about PR. And your friends and family will rarely say something negative about you in public. But this has nothing to do with their reason for not playing. Everyone here has acknowledged the risk, even if it is remote.

You know the Orange Bowl is really a Big Time Bowl. Big enough to draw the #5 in the country. I wonder what would be everyone in CFB's opinion if Trevor Lawerence and Travis Etienne, Justin Fields, Ian Book, Mac Jones and Devanta Smith (PLUS other star players so each team lost 4) declared for the draft and withdrew from their bowl games.

Reactions: Archer2
So sad... see ya, fellows. You bailed on the school that could have snubbed you when you were injured- in Carter's case, badly- in high school, but they stuck with you.

People can defend this if you want but its quiting on your team! As I said before if this is what they think is best for them then by all means they should sit out. But with that said they should be removed from the team. Just the same as if they quit because that basically that what they did. If a kid would have said before the season that they wanted to opt out because of Covid then im all for it. But to pad your draft stock use all your teammates, that a lot of your teammates this will be their last game of football ever, its horseshit!

Mack and their teammates can't say anything but they support them in their choices. But you better believe that the players that are playing their last game as a Heel don't like this at all.

What if Sam gets significantly injured because A&M doesn’t have to worry about defending the best RB duo in the country, and can just pin their ears back and come after Sam every play? I think some of you would feel a little differently.

Or since Sam’s chances of injury just increased and he’s already established that he’s a NFL caliber player, perhaps it would be prudent for him to shut his college career down.

You don’t see A&M’s best NFL eligible players opting out of this “meaningless exhibition game”! Think about that. It’s quitting, plain and simple. Evidently the urban dictionary now spells team with an “I”.

Williams not playing has been pretty much expected even as much as I hate it. Best of luck to all four guys. Always a Tar Heel!! Thanks for what you have done for the best university on planet earth.

Reactions: sdingeldein
We normally agree Bear, but not here. I think it’s a huge missed opportunity for our program. A win in the Orange Bowl against a top 5 team would have helped our recruiting more than beating Miami badly. It would have made a statement about where our program is heading. Now our chances of winning are very slim, very slim indeed. A bad beat down against A&M negates much of the season.

I agree. It has forever altered my perception of them. They’ve let down their teammates, the staff, the university, and the fans. Perhaps it’s time to shut down all sports scholarships and abandon any pretense of the student athlete at the collegiate level.

People already know where the program is going, which is why recruiting is doing so well and will continue to do so. Let’s remember the game hasn’t ben played yet. Whole lotta kids ready to show their potential in a big bowl game this Saturday, stay tuned.

Strange thing.. I was looking over several draft boards and there are tons of players projected to go higher than any Heel with probably 90% playing in a bowl game. Not sure how to process that information.

I agree about removing them from the team. They shouldn't be allowed to be at practice or travel with the team. They've decided not to play, so they aren't on the team.

that’s right...they aren’t on the team. They aren’t on the team cause they QUIT. And yea anyone can QUIT if you like for whatever reason but you still QUIT. Thats their legacies to me now...QUITTERS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT