ADVERTISEMENT

Brief stuff (WCU game)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and since this was not a game that was ever gonna be close, I'll keep it more to how we looked doing what we do.

- In recent games I've mentioned our efficiency in half-court offense, especially when our Core Four is on the floor. That's certainly good news, and bodes well for grind-it-out games in coming months. The bad news is we can't forget our identity. I'm writing this particular paragraph at half-time, but from what I've seen after 20 minutes, Roy must've told the guys to kick the transition game into gear --- 12 Fast Break and 23 Secondary Break pts already. Addendum: Those transition numbers fell off some in the second half as the starters ony got limited minutes, but we were still pushing the ball. Good to see.

- The fallout from the above however was shown in some sketchy passes (which is another reason I suspect transition was the order of the day). We were also just loose with the ball at times... or trying to force. Didn't like 17 TOs against this level of competition. That being said, I really like some of the pitch-aheads. We haven't been ourselves recently with that, and tonight there was less dribbling. Ball gets where it needs to get faster via the pass!

- Good googly-moogly, what a 3-pt barrage! 16/22. OK, that was fun --- not gonna happen often. But here's the thing that has some deeper substance: They were ALL GOOD SHOTS, and they were coming by and large within the flow of our offense. The fact we Assisted on 31 of 37 made FGs overall(!) is remarkable, especially considering there were some blown chippys. In other words, pretty much every 3 came off an Assist from a teammate.

- Continuing Big concerns. Again FTs :eek:. We missed 7 as a team tonight and 6 were from the frosh Bigs. That needs to get better in a hurry, because I'll tell ya --- if young Bigs get a rep as bad FT shooters, then opponents are just gonna beat the crap out of em. They started off strong this season but it has gone south recently. Second, our guys need some crash work on 1) posting wide and strong to give the passer a target, 2) making themselves big by taking stronger defensive stances, and 3) keeping the ball HIGH on rebounds (Manley is the best at that thus far).

- One other concern is BRob needs to take a breath at times, i.e., let the game come to him instead of forcing. He still struggles to "get lost in the game". I think the light will go on more consistently fror him once he gets that.

- Not gonna even mention rebounding margin because that shoulda been a given tonight, but I loved what I saw in defensive rotations. The help, switches and recoveries were pretty (amongst the starters especially), and we were able to work on some 30. Roy also got some Zone work in with the second team.

- The starters did well in limited minutes (other than Theo getting a little squirrely with the ball and JB getting casual with a couple of finishes) Luke got his perfunctory double-double in short order, but really improved in passing ahead, JB was a raging terror on defense and Kenny?... #clinic. But I also really enjoyed watching extended minutes of the Felton/Platek backcourt... pretty damned sporty in stretches. Jalek is starting to "get it", and that odd-but-effective fade/set-shot 3 of his was on tonight. And Andrew ---- oh, wait, my friend @trestyles gave me grief for talking about him too much --- well screw it!... my boy was ballin' out in all phases. And speaking of guys from NY, where's our yankee friend @dadika13 been lately?...hope everything's all right, brother!

Anyway, this team is fun to watch come together. They still have a ways to go, but 9-1 and a certain Top-10 ranking before exams are just what I realistically hoped for. Time to take care of the books and get ready to restart strong, because the next one's gonna be a big-time challenge... and guaranteed to be physical!...:cool:

Last edited:
...and since this was not a game that was ever gonna be close, I'll keep it more to how we looked doing what we do.

- In recent games I've mentioned our efficiency in half-court offense, especially when our Core Four is on the floor. That's certainly good news, and bodes well for grind-it-out games in coming months. The bad news is we can't forget our identity. I'm writing this particular paragraph at half-time, but from what I've seen after 20 minutes, Roy must've told the guys to kick the transition game into gear --- 12 Fast Break and 23 Secondary Break pts already. Addendum: Those transition numbers fell off some in the second half as the starters ony got limited minutes, but we were still pushing the ball. Good to see.

- The fallout from the above however was shown in some sketchy passes (which is another reason I suspect transition was the order of the day). We were also just loose with the ball at times... or trying to force. Didn't like 17 TOs against this level of competition. That being said, I really like some of the pitch-aheads. We haven't been ourselves recently with that, and tonight there was less dribbling. Ball gets where it needs to get faster via the pass!

- Good googly-moogly, what a 3-pt barrage! 16/22. OK, that was fun --- not gonna happen often. But here's the thing that has some deeper substance: They were ALL GOOD SHOTS, and they were coming by and large within the flow of our offense. The fact we Assisted on 31 of 37 made FGs overall(!) is remarkable, especially considering there were some blown chippys. In other words, pretty much every 3 came off an Assist from a teammate.

- Continuing Big concerns. Again FTs :eek:. We missed 7 as a team tonight and 6 were from the frosh Bigs. That needs to get better in a hurry, because I'll tell ya --- if young Bigs get a rep as bad FT shooters, then opponents are just gonna beat the crap out of em. They started off strong this season but it has gone south recently. Second, our guys need some crash work on 1) posting wide and strong to give the passer a target, 2) making themselves big by taking stronger defensive stances, and 3) keeping the ball HIGH on rebounds (Manley is the best at that thus far).

- One other concern is BRob needs to take a breath at times, i.e., let the game come to him instead of forcing. He still struggles to "get lost in the game". I think the light will go on more consistently fror him once he gets that.

- Not gonna even mention rebounding margin because that should been a given tonight, but I loved what I saw in defensive rotations. The help, switches and recoveries were pretty (amongst the starters especially), and we were able to work on some 30. Roy also got some Zone work in with the second team.

- The starters did well in limited minutes (other than Theo getting a little squirrely with the ball and JB getting casual with a couple of finishes) Luke got his perfunctory double-double in short order, but really improved in passing ahead, JB was a raging terror on defense and Kenny?... #clinic. But I also really enjoyed watching extended minutes of the Felton/Platek backcourt... pretty damned sporty in stretches. Jalek is starting to "get it", and that odd-but-effective fade/set-shot 3 of his was on tonight. And Andrew ---- oh, wait, my friend @trestyles gave me grief for talking about him too much --- well screw it!... my boy was ballin' out in all phases. And speaking of guys from NY, where's our yankee friend @dadika13 been lately?...hope everything's all right, brother!

Anyway, this team is fun to watch come together. They still have a ways to go, but 10-1 and a certain Top-10 ranking before exams are just what I realistically hoped for. Time to take care of the books and get ready to restart strong, because the next one's gonna be a big-time challenge... and guaranteed to be physical!...:cool:

Lol, I thought of you when he hit that three and looked at the bench.

Reactions: gary-7

- Continuing Big concerns. Again FTs :eek:. We missed 7 as a team tonight and 6 were from the frosh Bigs. That needs to get better in a hurry, because I'll tell ya --- if young Bigs get a rep as bad FT shooters, then opponents are just gonna beat the crap out of em.

Jalek is starting to "get it", and that odd-but-effective fade/set-shot 3 of his was on tonight.
1. I was afraid the hot start to the season would not last. Hopefully the cold streak right now wont last either.
2. BRob's lack of strength is a glaring weakness when he tries to put the ball on the floor.
3. "Jalek is starting to get it" may be the understatement of the 1st part of the season. His confidence and game right now are ready for takeoff. If that continues, watch out!;)

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I'm afraid Cam is going to take 90% of B-Rob's minutes.

They said during the game that Kenny showed up 3 hours early for shooting drills. I hope the young guys learn him and the other veterans on the team.

Reactions: Heelicious
I've come to expect the suffocating D from our perimeter and the double-double from Bird and the constant improvement from our backup guards....what I I'm usually anxious about is how well our 3-headed 5 position will play. (I also love how confident and skilled Miller is. In a couple - three years we might just be shocked he was a walk-on!) Manley should be the star in the group eventually, but Huff is my fave! I can't get over how aggressive hie is at all times. When/if his game catches up with his mind-set, watch out ACC! Brooks will clearly step into the Bird role upon graduation too.

The Bigs are showing a steep learning curve so far this season. While I expect it to continue, I am expecting to see some significant dips during the journey. What I love so far is that we have had good games from at least 2 of them in every game but the one that should not be spoken of! The freethrow issue is just a statistical aberration, hopefully. I expect them to put in the work at the line and get it back where it has been.

our guys need some crash work on 1) posting wide and strong to give the passer a target, 2) making themselves big by taking stronger defensive stances,

I noticed the weak stance with Manley several times as well. Made me think about how T50 used to plant himself in the post. Maybe Jonas should let Mr. Manley back an SUV around the parking lot an hour or two a day .. motor off of course :) .

I saw some nice plays from all of the freshmen bigs last night. Manley had the block on defense and then hustled up the court for the fast break dunk on the next play. Brooks finished at the rim while absorbing contact, which is something he struggled with earlier in the season. And I remember Huffman having a nice turn around shot near the basket in the second half. Probably the best non-dunk shot for him this season. I'm really enjoying watching all of these young players develop.

Reactions: Archer2
1. I was afraid the hot start to the season would not last. Hopefully the cold streak right now wont last either.
2. BRob's lack of strength is a glaring weakness when he tries to put the ball on the floor.
3. "Jalek is starting to get it" may be the understatement of the 1st part of the season. His confidence and game right now are ready for takeoff. If that continues, watch out!;)
Brother, I'm only gonna disagree slightly there. BRob appears physically stronger considering his frame than last season, BUT... he is forcing things he's not able to power thru. The biggest issue I see is attacking without a plan --- like in the second half he drove into traffic without a clear lane and threw up a prayer. I could read Roy's lips when the camera zoomed in telling him to "pass the ball".

As for Jalek --- and I know some here are gonna take me to task for this --- 7th not being available has been a good thing for him. As I opined in another thread, trying to force 7th into PG minutes was just not helping anybody --- from his perspective it was beating a dead horse and keeping him from playing some 2, and from Jalek's perspective it was interfering with him getting sufficient chances to get into the flow and learn by doing. To be perfectly blunt, the two-man PG rotation of JB and JF should be a done deal. In competitive games Joel is gonna play 30+. Every one of those other 10 or so should go to Jalek... and they can pull a few together if necessary.

I noticed the weak stance with Manley several times as well. Made me think about how T50 used to plant himself in the post. Maybe Jonas should let Mr. Manley back an SUV around the parking lot an hour or two a day .. motor off of course :) .
Yep. Posting at the college level is plain hard-ass work --- and NOBODY did it better as a freshman than Psycho. it's not enough to stand there and just be tall... and even the physically strongest of our crew (Huff) enabled a steal on an entry because of a lazy post. I used to tell young post players "if you want the ball then make yourself an easy target".

Yep. Posting at the college level is plain hard-ass work --- and NOBODY did it better as a freshman than Psycho. it's not enough to stand there and just be tall... and even the physically strongest of our crew (Huff) enabled a steal on an entry because of a lazy post. I used to tell young post players "if you want the ball then make yourself an easy target".

"If you want the ball you got to WANT the ball" !!! You almost have to crave the ball, you have to demand it, that all starts with making yourself available. Looks to me like Manley's lower body and very likely his core are less advanced than his upper body. Really needs big time S/C work in the next off season, I mean the kid has yet to as much as pass his pre-season running test. You see a notable drop off from him after being in the game for about 1.5 mins, that is a lack of stamina and strength. If you want the ball in Nov-March, you have to want it in April-Oct, that is the lesson these frosh bigs are learning right now, how many have the heart and dedication to step to that challenge? They, all 4, yes I said all 4 because I include Walker, they all have the ability, do they have the heart and the focus to dedicate to the4 off season work in order to maximize that ability?

BRob, yeah, the weak part of his game is putting the ball on the floor, man that just may be a thing he just can not do, hate to say it and it can improve but I wonder how much ball handle drills can really help him. Getting stronger (Especially lower body) will help because I do think a part of it is he loses his balance, slowing down will also help in that he gets ahead of himself.

Jalek, yes of course 7th not able to get any PG minutes gives more to Jalek and what the kid needs is PT to develop. I still do not agree on Jalek as a PG, I have seen solid improvement this season and may have played his best game for us in his last game. 7th was the primary back up to Joel until he went out as opposed to Jalek, point being Roy seems to have seen something in 7th's ability to play the position...

Cam's minutes, I see it this way, more and more Roy has used BRob as Theo's primary back up and as of late has been going more to Platek as Kenny's primary back up. I think those are the 2 spots we will see Cam because IMO he is more a long 2 than a traditional 3, he is a long 2 that could allow us to invert and have him post of smaller guys. So I think both BRob and PLatek is where a lot of Cam's minutes will come from. I think he gets additional minutes by dropping Theo down to the 4 and Cam at the wing, guys, expect Cam to get around 25mins when he is able to get back and get back in to game shape. The way things seem to be shaping up Platek may lose the least amount of minutes, Kenny could and maybe should see his drop down to around 22 and yet that is hard because Kenny is the best defender we have while I suggest Theo has the most ability to defend when he is focused and locked in.

But Cam is that next level serious outside threat, catch and shoot guy but IMO puts the ball on the floor better than BRob and gives us more middle length, allows defensive exchanges with Theo while Theo is at the 3 or the 4. When you have Cam at the 3 and Theo at the 4 along with Joel or Jalek and Kenny or AP, we become a very deadly jump shooting team that allows Theo to pull and big man (power forward) out in space and facilitate off a drive to any of 3 spaced out jump shooters and with Luke make that 4 jump shooters!

You can over load zones by that and you can draw big men in man coverage out to spots on the court they just do not want to be and well out of rebounding position. It should make us quicker to the ball for rebounds and power up our running game.

I mean the kid has yet to as much as pass his pre-season running test. You see a notable drop off from him after being in the game for about 1.5 mins, that is a lack of stamina and strength. If you want the ball in Nov-March, you have to want it in April-Oct, that is the lesson these frosh bigs are learning right now, how many have the heart and dedication to step to that challenge? They, all 4, yes I said all 4 because I include Walker, they all have the ability, do they have the heart and the focus to dedicate to the4 off season work in order to maximize that ability?

Jalek, yes of course 7th not able to get any PG minutes gives more to Jalek and what the kid needs is PT to develop. I still do not agree on Jalek as a PG, I have seen solid improvement this season and may have played his best game for us in his last game. 7th was the primary back up to Joel until he went out as opposed to Jalek, point being Roy seems to have seen something in 7th's ability to play the position...

Cam's minutes, I see it this way, more and more Roy has used BRob as Theo's primary back up and as of late has been going more to Platek as Kenny's primary back up. I think those are the 2 spots we will see Cam because IMO he is more a long 2 than a traditional 3, he is a long 2 that could allow us to invert and have him post of smaller guys. So I think both BRob and PLatek is where a lot of Cam's minutes will come from. I think he
Well, a couple of things...
Actually Sterling did make his time finally --- but yes, it is apparent that his lower-body strength has not caught up just yet. For a "growing boy" to deal with the serious leg injuries he had will indeed take time. Man, I wish he was already a sophomore --- I expect big things from that big fella once he gets stronger.

Second, it's not really accurate to say 7th was the primary backup. He was mostly relegated to getting time when Joel slid to the 2. Seldom was he allowed to run the team without JB's presence. Jalek was the PG being allowed to run the show without training wheels --- at least until he earned Roy's wrath over something. And I 100% disagree about Jalek in general. He is and should be our future at PG, and that will be where he matriculates to the next level.

Finally, as for Cam. Roy did not bring him in to be a 2 at UNC. The idea was someone who could take on the JJ role and have the length to allow us to play Hybrid. Now, as you said, he presents a high-level 3-pt threat and will get big minutes. He's not likely to start, given his defensive deficits (unless we start Small) but he represents a versatile bomber off the bench. So who loses minutes? Yes, BRob as Theo's primary backup is indeed the most likely candidate as we speak, especially with Platek's play at the 2 emerging so quickly.

I do wanna look at a pleasant manifestation though:
Just think about the fire-power we'll suddenly have available in January! If (and it's almost a given, at least for the near future) we continue with the current starting lineup, we'll be able to call on four guys off the bench --- Cam, Jalek, Andrew and BRob --- who can light it up on any give night from deep. Add that to the three starters who regularly do the same, this could be the deepest outside-shooting UNC team we've seen.

Now, about those Bigs............... we shall see......

The best part about Cam coming back is that it takes pressure of Theo to be a go-to scorer if some of our other shooters are having an "off" night. He can simply continue to be the attacking and facilitating do-everything type player that he's been so far this season.

The best part about Cam coming back is that it takes pressure of Theo to be a go-to scorer if some of our other shooters are having an "off" night. He can simply continue to be the attacking and facilitating do-everything type player that he's been so far this season.

It's easy to picture us having possessions where we can't create anything but then Johnson drains a 27ft jumper. Quite a luxury.

Reactions: gary-7 and bax4444
Brother, I'm only gonna disagree slightly there. BRob appears physically stronger considering his frame than last season, BUT... he is forcing things he's not able to power thru. The biggest issue I see is attacking without a plan --- like in the second half he drove into traffic without a clear lane and threw up a prayer. I could read Roy's lips when the camera zoomed in telling him to "pass the ball".
Yeah it's that BUT.... that concerns me.
Whatever it is, not having a plan, forcing things, etc....he's a train wreck right now when he tries to drive. He's dribbling off his own foot, tripping over his own feet, struggling to maintain his balance. I hope, and believe it will improve as his body fills out.

Right now he's basically a catch 'n shoot wing, and decent on ball defender.

My thoughts:

1 - This might be the best perimeter defense Roy has ever had. It's absolutely stifling. I'm going to start referring to Kenny as The Warden because he is in lockdown mode.

2 - This may be the fastest team (collectively) that Roy has ever had. The best part is that we are getting up the floor so quickly not because of one guy and not because of some speedster dribbling up the floor. We are beating opponents with long passes. And everyone has been a part of it. There is not one guy to single out here like there was with Felton...or Lawson...or Butter.

3 - This team is really fun to watch. I think it's largely because there isn't really a star on the team and everyone knows they have a role. The camaraderie is very high and like usual with us, these guys seem to really like each other.

4 - My goodness, how good can we be once we get Cam involved?

My thoughts:

1 - This might be the best perimeter defense Roy has ever had. It's absolutely stifling. I'm going to start referring to Kenny as The Warden because he is in lockdown mode.

2 - This may be the fastest team (collectively) that Roy has ever had. The best part is that we are getting up the floor so quickly not because of one guy and not because of some speedster dribbling up the floor. We are beating opponents with long passes. And everyone has been a part of it. There is not one guy to single out here like there was with Felton...or Lawson...or Butter.

3 - This team is really fun to watch. I think it's largely because there isn't really a star on the team and everyone knows they have a role. The camaraderie is very high and like usual with us, these guys seem to really like each other.

4 - My goodness, how good can we be once we get Cam involved?
Great post. And 4 excellent points.
1. Perimeter defense - That's the aspect I knew going in would be formidable. JB and KW are simply the best defensive backcourt in the country, and when Theo locks in they form a Captain America shield out there. It may be THE biggest asset in our quest to return to the FF.

2. The way these guys run the floor --- and not just the speed but the immediacy and the spacing are clinics. Even the Bigs are getting in the right places for the most part. This last game we improved in pitching ahead, but it's also a luxury to have 3 guys (and even Luke once) who can take the rock coast-to-coast at any given time. And many underestimate JB's speed because he plays under control... but when he does decide to turn on the jets it looks like everyone else is standing still.

3. Yep. The Core Four have a chemistry that's almost magical, and they're gradually integrating that to the younguns. And that's been a pleasant surprise in that I initially thought we'd need JB to put up Phil Ford Senior numbers to be successful. The chemistry has taken away the need for that. However, it's still nice to know there's a guy running the show who is thoroughly capable of taking over when the need arises.

4. Indeed

Well, a couple of things...
Actually Sterling did make his time finally --- but yes, it is apparent that his lower-body strength has not caught up just yet. For a "growing boy" to deal with the serious leg injuries he had will indeed take time. Man, I wish he was already a sophomore --- I expect big things from that big fella once he gets stronger.

Second, it's not really accurate to say 7th was the primary backup. He was mostly relegated to getting time when Joel slid to the 2. Seldom was he allowed to run the team without JB's presence. Jalek was the PG being allowed to run the show without training wheels --- at least until he earned Roy's wrath over something. And I 100% disagree about Jalek in general. He is and should be our future at PG, and that will be where he matriculates to the next level.

Finally, as for Cam. Roy did not bring him in to be a 2 at UNC. The idea was someone who could take on the JJ role and have the length to allow us to play Hybrid. Now, as you said, he presents a high-level 3-pt threat and will get big minutes. He's not likely to start, given his defensive deficits (unless we start Small) but he represents a versatile bomber off the bench. So who loses minutes? Yes, BRob as Theo's primary backup is indeed the most likely candidate as we speak, especially with Platek's play at the 2 emerging so quickly.

I do wanna look at a pleasant manifestation though:
Just think about the fire-power we'll suddenly have available in January! If (and it's almost a given, at least for the near future) we continue with the current starting lineup, we'll be able to call on four guys off the bench --- Cam, Jalek, Andrew and BRob --- who can light it up on any give night from deep. Add that to the three starters who regularly do the same, this could be the deepest outside-shooting UNC team we've seen.

Now, about those Bigs............... we shall see......

When did Sterling finish making his times, as of 12/5 he had not finished but 2 of his 3 needed times. See a lil over the 16min mark of this:

Next, how is it not accurate for me to say 7th was primary back up at the point, 7th did start when Joel was out, have not really seen Joel spend a ton of time at the 2, saying most of 7th's time being with Joel in isn't real accurate. Not saying it would have stayed that way but up to the point 7th went out it was pretty much even in PT with 7th starting the games Joel was out.

Cam, Roy brought him in to be a player and will put him in what ever position he needs him in, no matter if it is 2,3, or 4. Don't believe I said Cam was going to be our primary 2, what I said is he is more a long 2 than traditional wing.

When did Sterling finish making his times, as of 12/5 he had not finished but 2 of his 3 needed times. See a lil over the 16min mark of this:

Next, how is it not accurate for me to say 7th was primary back up at the point, 7th did start when Joel was out, have not really seen Joel spend a ton of time at the 2, saying most of 7th's time being with Joel in isn't real accurate. Not saying it would have stayed that way but up to the point 7th went out it was pretty much even in PT with 7th starting the games Joel was out.

Cam, Roy brought him in to be a player and will put him in what ever position he needs him in, no matter if it is 2,3, or 4. Don't believe I said Cam was going to be our primary 2, what I said is he is more a long 2 than traditional wing.
Sterling made his first time is what I was saying. But you're right he still has track work ahead.

Honestly D, it's just not accurate to say 7th was the first option as backup. The main reason for the minutes to be somewhat even was Jalek's penchant for getting himself in the temporary doghouse, but he was being given first crack at actually running the team on his own. 7th started the exhibition but that was the end of that --- Jalek started the actual opener vs UNI, and would have started the next game had JB not come back sooner than expected. Even at that he was first PG off the bench.

And I believe Roy was pretty clear with Cam specifically about the role he foresaw for him and it was the JJ role... plus we need a 6'8 2-Guard right now about as much as the proverbial hole in the head :eek:

Sterling made his first time is what I was saying. But you're right he still has track work ahead.

Honestly D, it's just not accurate to say 7th was the first option as backup. The main reason for the minutes to be somewhat even was Jalek's penchant for getting himself in the temporary doghouse, but he was being given first crack at actually running the team on his own. 7th started the exhibition but that was the end of that --- Jalek started the actual opener vs UNI, and would have started the next game had JB not come back sooner than expected. Even at that he was first PG off the bench.

And I believe Roy was pretty clear with Cam specifically about the role he foresaw for him and it was the JJ role... plus we need a 6'8 2-Guard right now about as much as the proverbial hole in the head :eek:

I agree that Jalek was more likely to become the primary back up, my point was simply that he wasn't exactly to that point yet and 7th was playing his best ball when he went down. Jalek being in the dog house is all part of it, he has to learn and that is all part of that process.

I was talking about a rotation, a rotation that we will see when Cam is ready, not our primary look but one that makes us interesting long with either Cam or Theo at the 2 and the other at the 3 along with Luke, Joel, and a frosh big man.

Reactions: Archer2 and gary-7
There are some excellent points and observations being made about this team heading in to the exam break. The core 4 of JB,KW,TP, and Luke are playing together as well as I can remember any UNC team playing this early in the year. If Jalek's jump from the first game to now is any indication of his learning curve then this team could have several interchangeable parts by early ACC season. And even though you catch him (Jalek) every now and then standing around or looking out of place the young man has some serious game with a sweet stroke and seems to be getting exponentially better with each game. With 7th and Brob able to play 5-10 (for now) or so good minutes a game there should no concerns with fatigue or tired legs from anyone. Then the question goes to the 5 spot. The bigs seem to run the floor fairly well but lack solid positioning in the post on both ends. They seem to have the bodies but lack either the lower body strength or technique to squat and claim a spot. But then again with the speed and athleticism this team has it may be that we have 3 people spread around the lane ready to shoot before 4 of the other teams players make it past half court on defense :) . This is fun team to watch and they are getting better by the day. Look out when Cam gets back. jmho

......Kenny could and maybe should see his drop down to around 22 and yet that is hard because Kenny is the best defender we have while I suggest Theo has the most ability to defend when he is focused and locked in.

Dave, I like most of what you wrote bar this line.
Simply put, Cam has to prove himself first, just like Kenny already has.
IMO Kenny has earned 25-28min per game, now it's up to Cam to show how much he deserves.

^^^This! I love CJ, but he will have to earn his minutes when he returns. KW has proven to be a lock down defender and I even question the idea that he is an inferior shooter! Both KW and CJ will play a lot, but I don't think you just sit someone who is playing so well and has done his time until his replacement steps up and takes the spot!

^^^This! I love CJ, but he will have to earn his minutes when he returns. KW has proven to be a lock down defender and I even question the idea that he is an inferior shooter! Both KW and CJ will play a lot, but I don't think you just sit someone who is playing so well and has done his time until his replacement steps up and takes the spot!
Yeah, I would be shocked if Cam starts, unless Roy abandons starting a frosh Big and moves Luke to the 5. The Core Four (which I'm taking credit for coining, even though I stole it from the NY Yankees :D:rolleyes:) are exactly what the moniker indicates.

Dave, I like most of what you wrote bar this line.
Simply put, Cam has to prove himself first, just like Kenny already has.
IMO Kenny has earned 25-28min per game, now it's up to Cam to show how much he deserves.

Absolutely Cam will have to earn his PT, I was speaking more to what I think will happen as opposed to what is a done deal now. Now this isn't a dig against any of our kids, clearly BRob and Platek will be effected by Cam getting PT. I don't feel either have payed so poorly as to see all their time go away outside of mop up minutes so you have to look elsewhere for where some of Cams minutes will come from and the only 2 other options are Brooks from Theo at the 4 and Kenny. Frankly, Platek (the second coming of Steve Hale IMO) to me is earning more PT more so than less, I can see Brob taking a hit and going small with The3o at the 4 but I do see Kenny losing a few minutes from this.

Word is Cam was a better pure shooter than Justin was, that we absolutely have to have in the game when we are playing big time programs like we will get in ACC play.

Air Felton
Silky Williams
Luke Bird
Rasheed Huffman
Kareem Manley

Pretty good team next year, without even counting the frosh.

[Just having fun with the names. Don't take it too seriously.]

[For those who don't know, "Silky" references Silky Wilkes (aka Silk Wilkes), a famously smooth UCLA player who also sported a high release.]

Last edited:
.And speaking of guys from NY, where's our yankee friend @dadika13 been lately?...hope everything's all right, brother!

All good here my man. Work has been crazy busy lately so my free time is limited.

Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays, go Heels!

Thanks for sharing Archer.

I saw this forced turnover one and it instantly stood out to me, I have never seen numbers like Joel and Kenny’s off of offensive fouls. Also, it’s crazy that Kenny’s numbers are better than the rest of the team not even including the offensive fouls he draws.
Kenny and Joel’s defensive play has been so good this year, it just excites me to think how great they will be come March. Their ability to get in your face and be disruptive believes me to think that our friends down the road will have some trouble getting going from the outside against us. Roy has said a few times this year that he is really pushing Theo to be constantly committed on defense and if he can do so our backcourt will be nothing less than the best in nation, even though I think that Joel and Kenny are already the best defensive duo out there. Theo has the athleticism and size to be a lockdown defender and I really believe that a deep run for us will also be done with very strong play from him on the defensive end. He will also be a very key piece for us as we go small for spurts during games and need him to be able to play the 4 and hit the boards hard getting rebounds for us while supplying help D.

Thanks for sharing Archer.

I saw this forced turnover one and it instantly stood out to me, I have never seen numbers like Joel and Kenny’s off of offensive fouls. Also, it’s crazy that Kenny’s numbers are better than the rest of the team not even including the offensive fouls he draws.
Kenny and Joel’s defensive play has been so good this year, it just excites me to think how great they will be come March. Their ability to get in your face and be disruptive believes me to think that our friends down the road will have some trouble getting going from the outside against us. Roy has said a few times this year that he is really pushing Theo to be constantly committed on defense and if he can do so our backcourt will be nothing less than the best in nation, even though I think that Joel and Kenny are already the best defensive duo out there. Theo has the athleticism and size to be a lockdown defender and I really believe that a deep run for us will also be done with very strong play from him on the defensive end. He will also be a very key piece for us as we go small for spurts during games and need him to be able to play the 4 and hit the boards hard getting rebounds for us while supplying help D.
Thanks for posting that. I don't do Twitter but I went to his page and he has lots of neat stats. I love stats.

Among things that caught my eye were the deflection numbers - where Seventh really stands out from the crowd at causing deflections.

I don't tweet either but I saw this linked and thought some of the stats were interesting.

UNC's Most-Used Lineups:
Berry-KW-Pinson-Maye-Brooks: 139.8 minutes, +22.7 net efficiency
Berry-KW-Pinson-Maye-Manley: 27.1, +53.8
Felton-KW-Pinson-Maye-Brooks: 16.2, +32.9
Felton-Platek-Robinson-Pinson-Manley: 12.7, +21.7
Berry-KW-Johnson-Pinson-Maye: 11.0, +84.1

Thanks for posting that. I don't do Twitter but I went to his page and he has lots of neat stats. I love stats.

Among things that caught my eye were the deflection numbers - where Seventh really stands out from the crowd at causing deflections.
Those stats are cool but they still don't capture causing TOs by jumping lanes, pressuring the passer, causing travels, or stepping in on help (without a drawn charge). Our staff keeps track of a lot of that internally.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT