ADVERTISEMENT

Cole Anthony

Somehow, less than 48 Hours ago, I was just being a negative, fake fan for showing any ounce of concern. Yet now my concerns seem to be coming to fruition. What's that Trump phrase about being tired of winning?

smgdh.
Rose I was seeing it myself and agree with your assessment to me it is very concerning! UNC brand should be selling itself to a degree but when Roy has to work his butt off to get told no in the end by so many then we have a problem

I put part of the blame on Roy’s assistants. It just seems like they don’t pull their weight. I felt like CB McGrath and Joe Halladay were excellent recruiters. I don’t see any dynamic recruiters on this staff and that includes Hubert.
CB is the reason why Coby played for us

Reactions: heels05champs
@RoseHeel is right on target with his assessment of our recruiting vs others!!! K has them lining up at dooks door hell he is currently recruiting over players that he had commit earlier in the same class!! While we have wide open spots that have starting time and Roy cant get people to even look at us!!! Hell Cole what u waiting on?? We probably lose him because we don't have enough talent has that ever happen before to UNC? while K is having people take a number and then take a seat on the bench!!! Just :mad::mad: me off to no end!!

And yet we beat them twice this year and they didn't get much further in the tourney than we did. Are you really losing sleep over this in your life?

I believe what Kevin Durant said is applicable to alot of kids and their decisions. Said he wanted to play at UNC but went to TX because he would have been subjected to less PT at UNC because folks already on the roster.

Better believe other coaches say UNC just wont play you much unless the cupboard is bare... then point to Naz.

Just my 2 cents

Reactions: MJUNC
And yet we beat them twice this year and they didn't get much further in the tourney than we did. Are you really losing sleep over this in your life?
Oh NOPE not at all but I am a fan and seeing top talent thumb their nose at us concerns me especially when K and others just opens the door and they file right in with no concern about playing time or starting or scandals etc etc

Reactions: RoseHeel
I believe what Kevin Durant said is applicable to alot of kids and their decisions. Said he wanted to play at UNC but went to TX because he would have been subjected to less PT at UNC because folks already on the roster.

Better believe other coaches say UNC just wont play you much unless the cupboard is bare... then point to Naz.

Just my 2 cents
No argument with that other than look how bare we are next year we should have them dropping in Roy's lap begging him to let them come play for UNC not the other way around. Here is an example we have recruited Hurt for over two years just to watch him commit to Dook on the 19th of this month and look how many they already have for his position and we are WIDE open for him to play same with Moore same with Baker same with Carey and the same with Boogie all Roy recruits that went to one other school just down the road and will have to fight for playing time so explain that?

Reactions: Tarheels39
No argument with that other than look how bare we are next year we should have them dropping in Roy's lap begging him to let them come play for UNC not the other way around. Here is an example we have recruited Hurt for over two years just to watch him commit to Dook on the 19th of this month and look how many they already have for his position and we are WIDE open for him to play same with Moore same with Baker same with Carey and the same with Boogie all Roy recruits that went to one other school just down the road and will have to fight for playing time so explain that?

Imagine if you are Roy. He must be dumbfounded at this point.

It is concerning. I just don’t understand it. I guess you could point to culture today but that doesn’t explain why multiple kids and even some at the same position (although not many) go to UK and Dook. I think it’s less to do with playing time and more to do with “being allowed to play thru your mistakes”. A lot of the OAD are good enough to get significant playing time but also, and see RJ Barrett here, aren’t held accountable on the defensive end. Roy is always going to coach that way. Today’s kids don’t want to be held accountable in a variety of ways. I mean Langford’s father said there was an aspect of Roy’s practice that his son didn’t like. I’m not sure what that was but it was enough that Romeo would go play for a far lesser coach. I’m sure playing time promises were a factor and that he would be focal point of the offense. Only in the bizarro world would Roy act like that. Roy’s body of work over the long haul, including Kansas, speaks for itself I think. I’m going to trust Roy on all this. He’s the first guy who wants to field a great team.

It is concerning. I just don’t understand it. I guess you could point to culture today but that doesn’t explain why multiple kids and even some at the same position (although not many) go to UK and Dook. I think it’s less to do with playing time and more to do with “being allowed to play thru your mistakes”. A lot of the OAD are good enough to get significant playing time but also, and see RJ Barrett here, aren’t held accountable on the defensive end. Roy is always going to coach that way. Today’s kids don’t want to be held accountable in a variety of ways. I mean Langford’s father said there was an aspect of Roy’s practice that his son didn’t like. I’m not sure what that was but it was enough that Romeo would go play for a far lesser coach. I’m sure playing time promises were a factor and that he would be focal point of the offense. Only in the bizarro world would Roy act like that. Roy’s body of work over the long haul, including Kansas, speaks for itself I think. I’m going to trust Roy on all this. He’s the first guy who wants to field a great team.
You might be on to something JC the very few times I seen dook play this year K wouldn't pull them stars if they came by his bench and slapped him upside the face but what I cant understand is that he will bury talent on the bench he does it every year and then kids just keep on committing year after year like it don't bother them if Roy did that he be in a heck of a shape with the narrative. You know they have to know what he does I guess they think it won't happen to them or something I bet he will have transfers again this coming year but yet haul them right back in the next year.

If you wanted to win a "natty", would these be your final four schools?
Notre Dame
Georgetown
Oregon
UNC (coming of losing 5 of its top 6 players)

Just my 2 cents

The cupboard is bare. This is the best time to come play for North Carolina if you are a 5 star recruit.

I would rather lose out on all these kids if it meant that Roy would stay true to his principles. A lot of these kids are semi-professionals already because they've been playing AAU ball since they were kids. They don't feel like they need coaching. As a fan I don't want that. Seeing the Rat blatantly excuse and accept poor effort and bad decision making by his 5 stars was a sad thing to watch. We will be ok regardless. Roy can coach and if we don't get anymore recruits then no, we will not go to a final four but we can have a decent season and make the tournament. Seventh will do better if he can get his mind right, B Rob could have been a starter, Leaky will be a star, Garrison gets better every year, and between Huff, Bacot, and Sterling we should have some depth in the post. Platek can provide some good minutes and if we can get a grad transfer that can stroke it then we will be in decent shape. Believe it or not I wouldn't actually mind this scenario because it will just highlight how better of a coach Roy is than the at and Cal Shady.

Last edited:
I would rather lose out on all these kids if it meant that Roy would stay true to his principles. A lot of these kids are semi-professionals already because they've been playing AAU ball since they were kids. They don't feel like they need coaching. As a fan I don't want that. Seeing the Rat blatantly excuses and accept poor effort and bad decision making by his 5 stars was a sad thing to watch. We will be ok regardless. Roy can coach and if we don't get anymore recruits then no, we will not go to a final four but we can have a decent season and make the tournament. Seventh will do better if he can get his mind right, B Rob could have been a starter, Leaky will be a star, Garrison gets better every year, and between Huff, Bacot, and Sterling we should have some depth in the post. Platek can provide some good minutes and if we can get a grad transfer that can stroke it then we will be in decent shape. Believe it or not I wouldn't actually mind this scenario because it will just highlight how better of a coach Roy is than rat and Cal Shady.
I like Roy's style it is one of the reasons I pull for UNC but heck even low end 5 stars didnt come this year I am really hoping that all this is a mute point when all said and done we end up with a good class but we have never had to wait this long to fill out a class with so many potential starting spots and playing time available!! It just mind blowing to me

Reactions: HEELS1984
Somehow, less than 48 Hours ago, I was just being a negative, fake fan for showing any ounce of concern. Yet now my concerns seem to be coming to fruition. What's that Trump phrase about being tired of winning?

smgdh.
Who do you want instead of McCoy at this point? We have four open spots remember.

Saw a pretty darn good post on TOS that I am just going to copy / paste. If anyone’s wondering why we can’t bring in top recruits:

IMO, Recruiting Struggles 101

* UNC has never been a OAD destination to begin with.
* The OAD hopefuls continue to be deeper and deeper into the T25 rankings.
* Roy's "system" at UNC may be perceived (or actually is for some) as difficult to thrive in until you've been there more than one season.
* Roy's system is perceived (or actually is) geared to a college environment more than the pro game.
* Roy doesn't guarantee roles or minutes.
* College is no longer a "destination" but a "pit stop" along the path of basketball
* More professional options to earn $ playing basketball after college exist so fast tracking college is an expanding strategy.
* Players destined for the NBA (or other pro leagues) will play 6+ years of HS/AAU ball. They will play 5+ years in NBA or other professional leagues. They spend one or two years in college.
* Turns out there is more "pay to play" and "steering" going on that maybe many thought. If UNC has a "do not even ask us" reputation, that eliminates UNC or puts UNC as window dressing for "perceptions" on some prospects.
* Much of the "negative recruiting" or "poo poo'ing" UNC takes place in the AAU events. The coaches/organizers/handlers that use the pay to play or steering strategies may paint UNC as a bad destination so kids are more easily steered to destinations that pay to play can be taken advantage of.
* The lack of 3 and 4 year T50 prospects picking UNC may be the one demographic that the NCAA dark cloud actually did have a measurable impact since those 3 and 4 year players would be worried about penalties that may be coming.

Then there is the simple ebb and flow of recruiting;

* kids choosing to stay closer to home.
* kids choosing schools that do guarantee role/minutes (nothing inappropriate in doing so)
* kids choosing schools their parents/coaches feel are best for them.
* kids choosing schools they have always wanted to go to.
* kids choosing schools based on coaches, teammates, or other basketball related factors.
* kids choosing schools based on weather, location, dorms, weight rooms, or a 1000 other critera.

Could be one, all, or combo of any of the many factors in both lists.

ETA: Then the solutions that Roy has/could use to combat the challenges;

* casting wider strategic nets of offers versus smaller tactical nets.
* develop relationships quicker/earlier leading to quicker/earlier offers.
* develop relationships post offer but still perform due diligence background.
* Tighten the time frame between "high priority" offers and the secondary/tertiary offers..

I'm sure there are others that folks can add that wouldn't compromise the integrity of Roy's philosophical approach to recruiting but allows shifting with the changing dynamics of recruiting today.

ETA: WITH THE CAVEAT that the collective "we" know Roy knows what he's doing and what's best for him program/rosters. This is what is fun in watching for any adjustments/changes as the 15/16/17 classes move through the program and are replaced with 18/19/20 and beyond classes.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
Did Greg attend any of Coles visits to UNC?
He did indeed on several trips to unc... including an unofficial with his ex wife, and the official with his ex wife; the fact that he chose not to join speaks volumes to me, but cole may still choose oregon; no one knows. He is tight lipped about his decision. Coles mom also really and I mean really likes Roy so there is that as well

Reactions: JCClayton
Who do you want instead of McCoy at this point? We have four open spots remember.

I'm through making speculation at this point. Beggars can't be choosers. Wouldn't even be shocked if we end with just McCoy, Francis, and Bacot. Which is nonsensical considering the circumstances with all these other schools investigated by the FBI and NCAA, yet sitting with recruiting classes ranked higher than us.

Either way, whenever Cole's prolonged indecisiveness comes to an end, I'll turn my attention to 2020, and pray we don't do whatever the heck we did in this class with that one.

flat,550x550,075,f.u2.jpg

Reactions: venom660turbo
I'm through making speculation at this point. Beggars can't be choosers. Wouldn't even be shocked if we end with just McCoy, Francis, and Bacot. Which is nonsensical considering the circumstances with all these other schools investigated by the FBI and NCAA, yet sitting with recruiting classes ranked higher than us.

Either way, whenever Cole's prolonged indecisiveness comes to an end, I'll turn my attention to 2020, and pray we don't do whatever the heck we did in this class with that one.

You seem to get no joy out of being a fan. I feel bad for you.

The cupboard is bare this year... but was or has that been the case recently? Also, with these GT offers out do any of the HS kids Roy is targeting see that as a threat to PT??

The cupboard is bare this year... but was or has that been the case recently? Also, with these GT offers out do any of the HS kids Roy is targeting see that as a threat to PT??
Precious and Cole? No. We’ve not given any offers to grad transfer PGs or combo forwards. If they don’t come here it has nothing to do with playing time.

You seem to get no joy out of being a fan. I feel bad for you.

What I "get no joy from" is listening to the same tired spiel of the same bundle of group-think posters who either consistently b*tch about anyone who simply calls it like it is or tout some "top-secret, classified information" or whatever crap shoot you're marketing. Yet each and every time they get proven wrong, try to classify anyone that calls them out on their BS as "negative". Like an endless song and dance. How some of you can consistently be this wrong and believe a fraction of the stuff that you post is truly a feat of mental gymnastics.

So keep that disingenuous concern of yours. I'll continue to support and worry about my team my way while you other breed of "fans" (apparently I should use that term lightly) stick your heads in the sand. You can come back up once we're winning again and pretend you were right all along.

A lot has to do with Tenny Shue Munney too.

What I "get no joy from" is listening to the same tired spiel of the same bundle of group-think posters who either consistently b*tch about anyone who simply calls it like it is or tout some "top-secret, classified information" or whatever crap shoot you're marketing. Yet each and every time they get proven wrong, try to classify anyone that calls them out on their BS as "negative". Like an endless song and dance. How some of you can consistently be this wrong and believe a fraction of the stuff that you post is truly a feat of mental gymnastics.

So keep that disingenuous concern of yours. I'll continue to support and worry about my team my way while you other breed of "fans" (apparently I should use that term lightly) stick your heads in the sand. You can come back up once we're winning again and pretend you were right all along.

You seem like a really unhappy person.

Noted. Glad I could clear up any confusion you may have had there.

Not sure what any of this has to do with Cole Anthony though.

Rose I was seeing it myself and agree with your assessment to me it is very concerning! UNC brand should be selling itself to a degree but when Roy has to work his butt off to get told no in the end by so many then we have a problem
Good grief.

He did indeed on several trips to unc... including an unofficial with his ex wife, and the official with his ex wife; the fact that he chose not to join speaks volumes to me, but cole may still choose oregon; no one knows. He is tight lipped about his decision. Coles mom also really and I mean really likes Roy so there is that as well
Reality and stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT