ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus

The most cuckiest of cucks. Good to know for my trip down to Columbia. A man has needs and you don’t pose much of a threat.

@gteeitup

Last edited:
@Hark_The_Sound_2010 if truly curious about single-only shots, this article is interesting.
Yes, thanks for sharing. Most of the article/study is around whether to take first available type of vaccine, or wait for a more effective vaccine, which I don't know how much of a question that is right now as the vaccines have over 95% efficacy from the jump. But as you alluded to, they do touch on the concerns I mentioned with administering single-shot:

"As indicated earlier, delays in the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccine rollout has prompted the United Kingdom to giving single doses to cover more people rather than the full dose regimen to fewer people. Results from this study do show the value in such a strategy. However, there are potential issues with just delivering 1 dose of a 2-dose vaccine (e.g., 1 dose may not have the same protection duration). As clinical trials to date have focused on participants getting the full 2-dose course, it is unclear what the longer-term effectiveness may be for 1 dose. Moreover, some have worried what partial protection may do to selection pressure and the emergence of virus variants."

Reactions: tarheel0910
Yes, thanks for sharing. Most of the article/study is around whether to take first available type of vaccine, or wait for a more effective vaccine, which I don't know how much of a question that is right now as the vaccines have over 95% efficacy from the jump. But as you alluded to, they do touch on the concerns I mentioned with administering single-shot:

"As indicated earlier, delays in the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccine rollout has prompted the United Kingdom to giving single doses to cover more people rather than the full dose regimen to fewer people. Results from this study do show the value in such a strategy. However, there are potential issues with just delivering 1 dose of a 2-dose vaccine (e.g., 1 dose may not have the same protection duration). As clinical trials to date have focused on participants getting the full 2-dose course, it is unclear what the longer-term effectiveness may be for 1 dose. Moreover, some have worried what partial protection may do to selection pressure and the emergence of virus variants."
I'm glad I'm too young to be making the decision for myself today. I'm ok letting the dust settle.

Israel data seems to indicate that the strategy of one dose makes the vaccine only 33% effective which seems to be not worth it. If you have 100M doses, better to give the recommended two doses to 50M people at 95% efficacy, which would indicate 47.5M fully vaccinated, as opposed to giving 100M people one dose at 33% efficacy resulting in 33M fully vaccinated.

Hopefully this administration doesn't just plow forward with the strategy they discussed without considering that.

Israel data seems to indicate that the strategy of one dose makes the vaccine only 33% effective which seems to be not worth it. If you have 100M doses, better to give the recommended two doses to 50M people at 95% efficacy, which would indicate 47.5M fully vaccinated, as opposed to giving 100M people one dose at 33% efficacy resulting in 33M fully vaccinated.

Hopefully this administration doesn't just plow forward with the strategy they discussed without considering that.

Their data seems different than the US data from the trials. My pharma buddies say anywhere from 50-70% depending on the subset of population. They also said it's way too soon to tell because the common misconception is looking for antibodies, which is wrong. It's the memory cells that those antibodies create which is the key to long term immunity from the virus. So since Israel wasn't involved in the trials, they are only going off like 4 weeks of data. It's very much incomplete.

We were having this discussion also on the numbers...if it's 50%, I don't think the math makes sense to focus on getting as many people the first as possible without worrying if you have enough manufactured by the time they need the 2nd. If it's 70%, then it does.

Their data seems different than the US data from the trials. My pharma buddies say anywhere from 50-70% depending on the subset of population. They also said it's way too soon to tell because the common misconception is looking for antibodies, which is wrong. It's the memory cells that those antibodies create which is the key to long term immunity from the virus. So since Israel wasn't involved in the trials, they are only going off like 4 weeks of data. It's very much incomplete.

We were having this discussion also on the numbers...if it's 50%, I don't think the math makes sense to focus on getting as many people the first as possible without worrying if you have enough manufactured by the time they need the 2nd. If it's 70%, then it does.
That seems like a long way to say, listen to the experts telling you to hold some back since that's the best data we have.

That seems like a long way to say, listen to the experts telling you to hold some back since that's the best data we have.

Oh without a doubt and I hope these kinds of low first immunity numbers (correct or not) put more pressure on Pfizer, Moderna, J&J, etc. to just keep pumping out new doses as quickly as possible.

They are producing what they can already. Or in Moderna's case which was a pretty small operation prior to the vaccine, they already have multiple CDMOs producing it for them. I'm just hoping a boneheaded decision from the top doesn't waste a lot of what they are able to produce.

heard a doctor this week speak on the defense production act and how that works...you guys correct me if so, but does it mean that facilities that produce vaccines for things that aren’t a priority can be used primarily for covid to expedite the roll-out?...does that also include using the military to oversee this distribution or is that entirely separate?

i guess he explained it correctly, but wasn’t sure.

heard a doctor this week speak on the defense production act and how that works...you guys correct me if so, but does it mean that facilities that produce vaccines for things that aren’t a priority can be used primarily for covid to expedite the roll-out?...does that also include using the military to oversee this distribution or is that entirely separate?

No. Vaccine production is very specific to the particular vaccine in question. So you can't just say, oh this facility makes chicken pox, measles, etc. vaccines, so let's repurpose it to make Covid-19 since that's in higher demand right now. Even the same facility has to be careful about changing any part of its process once it gets approval for a drug/therapeutic because the whole process is "spec'd" in with the initial approval.

They may be using the DPA to force additional production of the PPE, equipment, and raw materials that go into the vaccines - however most of that stuff is getting produced as fast as it can be as well right now. A large part of the bottleneck in the process is the time it takes, not the materials/space needed. Even if you have everything you need, you don't just all of a sudden have a ton more vaccine. These biologicals need time to "grow" and develop into the compounds that are the vaccine.

Another big part of the bottle-neck is distribution post-production. Warp Speed was impressive in developing the vaccines and the producing the amounts so quickly, but everyone said getting the frozen shots into arms would be really hard. It sounds like individual states were put in charge of their own distribution rather than gov coming up with a centralized plan involving the full supply-chain. Can DPA help with distribution?

They may be using the DPA to force additional production of the PPE, equipment, and raw materials that go into the vaccines - however most of that stuff is getting produced as fast as it can be as well right now.
There's apparently lots of black market for PPE that organizations are having to use because PPE is still so scarce. The "free market" approach hasn't adapted nicely or quickly - lots of price gauging and stuff, and lots of PPE going to places where it isn't needed the most. DPA theoretically could help with distribution here too. Maybe could help coordinate partnerships, material allocation, force companies to fulfill public health needs over private ones. Of course DPA could easily F it all up.

Its hard to figure out the optimal strategy when the data isn’t clear. But if it were up to me then I would focus on saving enough to give two doses to high risk individuals. Get those people covered first and work on distributing an initial dose to the broader population ASAP.

Plus you get to use the weak people for the trial run. 🤭

Covid takes Larry King.
Is that what he died from??? I didn't know that!

Let's look back in time, shall we?

LK8-1160x874.jpg

and... my favorite!

larrykinglarge.jpg

King Fauci now suggesting we wear TWO face coverings at once. Stanford Medial, Mayo and Johns Hopkins have all responded that they see no evidence or reason to do this.

90%+ of folks have been wearing masks in public for 8+ months (NC data only) yet the virus continues to spread ... what a mystery. keep believing, sheeple .... keep believing.

King Fauci now suggesting we wear TWO face coverings at once. Stanford Medial, Mayo and Johns Hopkins have all responded that they see no evidence or reason to do this.

90%+ of folks have been wearing masks in public for 8+ months (NC data only) yet the virus continues to spread ... what a mystery. keep believing, sheeple .... keep believing.

report the correct point, please...it’s always been about the mask type, it’s more of a reference to single layer masks like the gaiter which does the opposite of any mask, or single layer masks without filters...there is a % difference of effectiveness in case you need scientific proof between single layer, surgical grade, n95, kn95, and even two masks...this has been the constant from the start especially in higher risk areas.

90%+ of folks have been wearing masks in public for 8+ months (NC data only) yet the virus continues to spread ...
What % takes the mask off while eating in a public restaurant and while hanging with people in their homes? Or hangs their nose out?

Or close indoor dining when the death rate is over thousand per day... fine people for exposing their nose the same way you'd fine someone for exposing their dick.

Or just tell people that don’t want to run the risk to stay home? Its weird to me that we all don’t support such common sense solutions.

Last edited:
Reactions: toophly1124
Or just tell people that don’t want to run the risk to stay home? Its weird to me that we all don’t support such common sense solutions.

Because hospitals are getting destroyed right now. If no one went to hospitals because of this virus then I'd agree with you - let each person decide their risk level...but turning hospitals into Covid clinics because people just keep coming in sick as hell has some very negative impacts on the rest of healthcare.

Because hospitals are getting destroyed right now. If no one went to hospitals because of this virus then I'd agree with you - let each person decide their risk level...but turning hospitals into Covid clinics because people just keep coming in sick as hell has some very negative impacts on the rest of healthcare.
Or let half the hospitals and insurances plans be for pro-maskers, and the other hospital/insurance pricing be for anti-maskers.

Covid-deniers are wasting this countries healthcare (and insurance costs) resources, they're prolonging the economic devastation.

"An Associated Press analysis reveals that in 376 counties with the highest number of new cases per capita, the overwhelming majority — 93% of those counties — went for Trump, a rate above other less severely hit areas."

Your boy doesn't agree.

Covid-deniers are wasting this countries healthcare (and insurance costs) resources, they're prolonging the economic devastation.
Government is prolonging it with half-assed "closures." Either actually close everything for a couple of weeks 24/7 so the virus can die out or say screw it, accept the losses and do nothing so herd immunity gets here faster. This thing would have been over six months ago if we did that.

Government is prolonging it with half-assed "closures." Either actually close everything for a couple of weeks 24/7 so the virus can die out or say screw it, accept the losses and do nothing so herd immunity gets here faster. This thing would have been over six months ago if we did that.

The only thing to stop a virus is absolute quarantining of every person on the face of the planet. That's the only thing that will work. These half-assed measures do nothing except make stupid people believe those pushing for the half-assed measures actually care to stop it and it paints the more logical of us - those that know a virus can't be stopped - as bad people who don't care about others.

Your boy doesn't agree.

He's trying to save his ass - big time. And he's wrong (or more likely lying) - he even said so himself:

He knows his time is up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT