ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus

Reactions: Heelicious
Ever since I got the first Phizer vaccine a couple weeks ago, I've been hungrier than normal Has anyone heard of this as a side effect? Like an increased metabolism?

@bleeduncblue I think what you said here is logical.

Curious - will you and / or your wife get vaccinated if it is required to travel overseas?
I haven't gotten the vaccination yet, but I can envision it being required for the travel and participation in the following events this fall:

I am running in Tokyo Marathon in October
Also am running Boston Marathon, if I get in (waiting to see if my BQ cushion is enough)

I admit I will likely get the vaccine if it is required for me to participate in these events. I am not afraid of it, and it is really important to me to do these events: run in my 6th of 6 World Major Marathons, and run in my 4th Boston Marathon but is the 125th running of Boston Marathon - a big deal .
Good luck getting into Boston, I hope you make it. I have a friend who'll be pushing his adult special needs son if he gets back in. He was registered for 2020, but COVID. He ran a 3:25 pushing a ~130# person. He certainly deserves to get in.

I've done a few races (a 50K and a 100K) during COVID, but none with anywhere near the attendance of the two you're looking at. Spreading out was easy and I just self-supported the entire time.

Good luck getting into Boston, I hope you make it. I have a friend who'll be pushing his adult special needs son if he gets back in. He was registered for 2020, but COVID. He ran a 3:25 pushing a ~130# person. He certainly deserves to get in.

I've done a few races (a 50K and a 100K) during COVID, but none with anywhere near the attendance of the two you're looking at. Spreading out was easy and I just self-supported the entire time.
Thanks very much, @WhatTheHeel? I recall you mentioning your friend before, and it is always very amazing to me how he / they could do that. 3:25 is an impressive time just running alone, let alone all the ups and downs of the the Boston course, pushing another full size human. It would take a great athlete especially just to get up some of the late hills (like Heartbreak Hill, I think around miles 20 - 22). Best of luck to him - you are right - he should get in.

The entrance slots are lower this year. Capped at 20,000 for now due to COVID. And since it is 125th and since you can use a qualifier race time from 2018 forward, I think it is going to be tough to get in. I have a 5 minutes 4 seconds cushion against my BQ standard but that likely won't be enough to get in.

For the first time ever, they have opened the Boston Marathon for anyone to run "in it" - virtually - regardless of time qualifications, up to 70,000 other runners. I ran Boston virtually last year, and while it was with about 30 other local runners, it wasn't that fun. Nothing near the experience of being in Boston.

I already have plane tickets and hotel reserved for Boston Marathon weekend. And virtual runners are supposed to run on the Sat or Sunday before the Monday of the in-person race. I have considered travelling to Boston and running the course in Boston virtually that Saturday or Sunday. I'm sure I'm about the 10,000th person who has thought of that. Maybe Boston won't allow it. I just don't want to do a "Boston" Marathon on the same local miles I've run dozens of times, on my own.

Congrats on the 100K. That is super-impressive! I ran a 50K for first time last fall - in October - which happened to be in snow and an extremely challenging technical trail course in Duluth / Lake Superior. It took me 8 1/2 hours to finish. That was the longest I've ever run or did any workout activities.

Where did you do the 100K? I don't know if I could ever go that far. (I realize this post belongs in "Thread about Running")

The cdc knows thru surveillance testing.

Thanks very much, @WhatTheHeel? I recall you mentioning your friend before, and it is always very amazing to me how he / they could do that. 3:25 is an impressive time just running alone, let alone all the ups and downs of the the Boston course, pushing another full size human. It would take a great athlete especially just to get up some of the late hills (like Heartbreak Hill, I think around miles 20 - 22). Best of luck to him - you are right - he should get in.

The entrance slots are lower this year. Capped at 20,000 for now due to COVID. And since it is 125th and since you can use a qualifier race time from 2018 forward, I think it is going to be tough to get in. I have a 5 minutes 4 seconds cushion against my BQ standard but that likely won't be enough to get in.

For the first time ever, they have opened the Boston Marathon for anyone to run "in it" - virtually - regardless of time qualifications, up to 70,000 other runners. I ran Boston virtually last year, and while it was with about 30 other local runners, it wasn't that fun. Nothing near the experience of being in Boston.

I already have plane tickets and hotel reserved for Boston Marathon weekend. And virtual runners are supposed to run on the Sat or Sunday before the Monday of the in-person race. I have considered travelling to Boston and running the course in Boston virtually that Saturday or Sunday. I'm sure I'm about the 10,000th person who has thought of that. Maybe Boston won't allow it. I just don't want to do a "Boston" Marathon on the same local miles I've run dozens of times, on my own.

Congrats on the 100K. That is super-impressive! I ran a 50K for first time last fall - in October - which happened to be in snow and an extremely challenging technical trail course in Duluth / Lake Superior. It took me 8 1/2 hours to finish. That was the longest I've ever run or did any workout activities.

Where did you do the 100K? I don't know if I could ever go that far. (I realize this post belongs in "Thread about Running")
It was in NW Georgia. They discontinued the distance at the event this year, due to low turnout. I'd done it before, the prior year, but they had low turnout then also. I've got a 24-hour event in early June. I've done them before, but never in a warm month. As you get older, you go longer because a slower pace is accepted and expected. LOL.

I probably did mention my friend before. The best part is that if he gets in, there's a very real chance I'd briefly see him on TV--when the elites pass him.

I’m def gonna start wearing a mask outside to troll for tucker Carlson fans
You really think mask realists care if others wear masks outside? Now after even CDC has stated they are entirely useless for outside activities?

I see these people, and while I am opposed to them fking with their poor kids heads by making their kids wear some dirty face diaper placebo the kids hate....

I'd never go up and say anything to how any parent raises their kids. I dare someone to come up and say something to me about how I raise my kids.

Regarding the adults who wear masks outdoors - I just have pity mostly for them.

How sad must it be to live life ongoing in that stage of perpetual irrational fear, and ignorant belief that somehow your half-cent face diaper placebo is - or ever has - done anything health-wise to people outside. Depressing mental disorder. Completely bogus virtue signaling. What virtue? Complete submission and compliance with disproven junk "science"?

You really think mask realists care if others wear masks outside? Now after even CDC has stated they are entirely useless for outside activities?

I see these people, and while I am opposed to them fking with their poor kids heads by making their kids wear some dirty face diaper placebo the kids hate....

I'd never go up and say anything to how any parent raises their kids. I dare someone to come up and say something to me about how I raise my kids.

Regarding the adults who wear masks outdoors - I just have pity mostly for them.

How sad must it be to live life ongoing in that stage of perpetual irrational fear, and ignorant belief that somehow your half-cent face diaper placebo is - or ever has - done anything health-wise to people outside. Depressing mental disorder. Completely bogus virtue signaling. What virtue? Complete submission and compliance with disproven junk "science"?
It's peer pressure. I went to an outdoor party and everyone's wife is like "the host is wearing her mask so put yours on too". I brought the host a beer - her mask dropped and immediately the entire party was maskless.

Zero studies have shown outdoor transmission, most people know this, they're just putting on a mask to be nice to the person who is wearing one out of ignorance.

I’m still gonna start wearing a mask outdoors to troll tucker carlson fans

178631438_2896777547250484_276941903254758388_n.jpg

Overweight with some huge growth on his neck and his lower jaw on sideways. I wouldn’t put much confidence in that immune system.

Actually, fat is helpful to the immune system.

Reactions: bleeduncblue
Overweight with some huge growth on his neck and his lower jaw on sideways. I wouldn’t put much confidence in that immune system.

he might die today, but at least he's LIVING in the meantime. not hiding under his bed. i like the guy and love his shirt 😆

India is getting crushed. US-based software companies with large out-sourced teams in India are giving teams (which are already WFH) extra days off just so they can care for family and stuff.

I understand the british variant is more contagious than the orig, and I understand they don't have good vaccination, but it's strange that this "wave" for them is so bad compared to prior wave.

E0DP5u6WUAUJ0Hm

Last edited:
India is getting crushed. US-based software companies with large out-sourced teams in India are giving teams (which are already WFH) extra days off just so they can care for family and stuff.

I understand the british variant is more contagious than the orig, and I understand they don't have good vaccination, but it's strange that this "wave" for them is so bad compared to prior wave.
The company I work for has a large India presence. I have a couple people in India who report to me, that have been locked down quite strictly for two weeks running. One has been quite ill during that time.

It is a bad wave for India, to be sure. It is such a more densely populated country, with lesser health and cleanliness conditions, and poorer hospitals, health care system.

I also read that India's infection rate per capita in 2020 was one twelfth the per capita infection rate of US. So they were bound to go through a tougher, higher infection rate period on the way to herd immunity. I think they are finally getting to a point where vaccines are available to all who want them there, as well.

I never thought it would be possible for anyone to evict and replace Evil Orange Man, living rent free in so many left-leaning people's heads, but it appears Tucker Carlson is doing it. Quite the feat.
Good thing Racheal Maddow and Don Lemon are so mainstream..........

The company I work for has a large India presence. I have a couple people in India who report to me, that have been locked down quite strictly for two weeks running. One has been quite ill during that time.

It is a bad wave for India, to be sure. It is such a more densely populated country, with lesser health and cleanliness conditions, and poorer hospitals, health care system.

I also read that India's infection rate per capita in 2020 was one twelfth the per capita infection rate of US. So they were bound to go through a tougher, higher infection rate period on the way to herd immunity. I think they are finally getting to a point where vaccines are available to all who want them there, as well.
That 2020 rate is interesting, given their density, wonder why that was so low compared to US?

I wonder if they're like our North Dakota - late the game then too slack at the wrong time.

What? No! Everyone has fat?

Holy shit, this place offers a wealth of information. Had you not shared your expertise on the human anatomy with us, I don't believe anyone here would have known this.
You're the idiot with the article that has nothing to do with obsesity or someone looking "fat" as a response when a poster says the guy looks "overweight".

You're the idiot with the article that has nothing to do with obsesity or someone looking "fat" as a response when a poster says the guy looks "overweight".

It's completely relevant. @heelmanwilm alluded to the fact that the fella being "overweight", would somewhat compromise his immune system, or at least, that because he is overweight, @heelmanwilm wouldn't trust his immune system. The article I poasted states that fat helps your immune system.

And then you ran in to save the day with your astute observation that everyone has fat, as if any of us here didn't know that. Thank you, Capt. Obvious.

Do I need to set you straight anywhere else or are you content to have had your bottom paddled once today?

It's completely relevant. @heelmanwilm alluded to the fact that the fella being "overweight", would somewhat compromise his immune system, or at least, that because he is overweight, @heelmanwilm wouldn't trust his immune system. The article I poasted states that fat helps your immune system.

And then you ran in to save the day with your astute observation that everyone has fat, as if any of us here didn't know that. Thank you, Capt. Obvious.

Do I need to set you straight anywhere else or are you content to have had your bottom paddled once today?
You clearly didn't read the article or you're unable to grasp the content if you believe it says anything related being overweight.

ADVERTISEMENT