ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus

Adolph jokes aside, the interwebs are packed with episodes of covid-deniers who are dead - Darwin award candidates.

Adolph jokes aside, the interwebs are packed with episodes of covid-deniers who are dead - Darwin award candidates.
serious question: i've heard this phrase a few times. what is a "covid denier" ?? someone who denies its entire existence ... or someone who downplays the severity of the virus and/or is not afraid of getting it ??

i know what a covid-bro is but need more specifics on the denier part.

I remember reading in National Geographic about a tribe that likes to cook their pork wrapped in banana leaves over hot stones. On a side note Seems they were losing a lot of their people to a mystery illness translated as “bowels of fire”.
Goodness gracious, GREAT BOWELS OF FIRE!

7-28-1957-jerry_lee_lewis-whole_lotta_shakin012.jpg

serious question: i've heard this phrase a few times. what is a "covid denier" ?? someone who denies its entire existence ... or someone who downplays the severity of the virus and/or is not afraid of getting it ??

i know what a covid-bro is but need more specifics on the denier part.
It's a person who denies the severity.

It's a person who denies the severity.
or more probably, someone who doesn't deny the potential severity of Covid but accepts the possibilities that life brings, including illness and death, and not acting like death itself can be denied. Instead of calling them Covid-deniers simply because they accept life, maybe we should call the hidey-hole crowd 'death-deniers'.

or more probably, someone who doesn't deny the potential severity of Covid but accepts the possibilities that life brings, including illness and death, and not acting like death itself can be denied. Instead of calling them Covid-deniers simply because they accept life, maybe we should call the hidey-hole crowd 'death-deniers'.
These were people who said and acted like covid-19 was only as severe as the flu.

It sounds like you are going to make up your own bullshit definition comprised of long, wordy sentences... Have at it.

These were people who said and acted like covid-19 was only as severe as the flu.

It sounds like you are going to make up your own bullshit definition comprised of long, wordy sentences... Have at it.
my long wordy definition is closer to the truth. For many, Covid was like the flu. One of my techs had it and he said it was like the flu; and my brother was hospitalized with it because of additional health concerns, and he was only there five days....and he said it was no worse than the flu. I personally know of no one who died from it, but I am aware that many did die and that most of them were compromised in some way. Now go back in your hidey-hole and resume trembling uncontrollably.

Reactions: Heelicious
For many, Covid was like the flu. my brother was hospitalized with it because of additional health concerns, and he was only there five days....and he said it was no worse than the flu. I am aware that many did die and that most of them were compromised in some way.
THIS!

I read / heard that either CDC or some peer-reviewed study showed recently that of all "COVID deaths" only 5% were deemed to be from COVID alone, in otherwise completely healthy persons. (And I am guessing these occurred among elderly). 95% of the COVID deaths, the victim had other co-morbidities, and on average they had 2+ comorbidities that were deemed primary (higher) causes of death than COVID itself.

Does this make one a COVID denier? To say that COVID exists - and to say we should focus our prevention and recovery efforts on the focused, easily-identified, easily-defined from the outset of COVID, high risk persons? (elderly, and otherwise potentially unhealthy)?....

... Instead of what we did / allowed: the batsht crazy, unthinking, stupid "one-size-fits-all" response regarding school and business closures, restricted travel etc , severely F with everyone's life and livelihood, regardless of their health / risk, from age 2 to 102?

Not putting high-quality masks into the hands of all Americans and then politicizing mask usage, the biggest reason our death per capita and economic probs have sucked considering our status as a powerful, advanced country.

"Face masks are a well-established preventive measure, but their effectiveness for mitigating SARS-CoV-2 transmission is still under debate."

this what you were trying to point out? Or was it this?

"Masks are thought to protect people in two ways: source control reducing the emission and spread of respiratory viruses through airborne droplets and aerosols, and wearer protection reducing the inhalation of airborne respiratory viruses.

The effectiveness of masks, however, is still under debate."

LOL

Reactions: Heelicious
"Face masks are a well-established preventive measure, but their effectiveness for mitigating SARS-CoV-2 transmission is still under debate."

Google "Well-established" and "preventive measure" and ponder if that might mean the effectiveness under debate is close to zero or low, or something in the higher ranges.

Google "Well-established" and "preventive measure" and ponder if that might mean the effectiveness under debate is close to zero or low, or something in the higher ranges.
I will if you'll google 'mitigating'.

for millions of people Covid was actually MUCH easier than having the traditional flu ... and many millions more never even knew they had Covid. so the “severity” of it is totally subjective.

i’m not a Covid denier in the sense that it isn’t real, but i definitely believe it was overblown and used as a political weapon to help insure a Trump loss.

for millions of people Covid was actually MUCH easier than having the traditional flu ... and many millions more never even knew they had Covid. so the “severity” of it is totally subjective.

i’m not a Covid denier in the sense that it isn’t real, but i definitely believe it was overblown and used as a political weapon to help insure a Trump loss.
Well, it was obviously used to help defeat Trump. You think Donald Trump wouldn't have exploited it the exact same way if the roles were reversed? I think it's been proven, especially by Trump's own comments to Bob Woodward, that he dangerously downplayed it so it wouldn't cost him the election. At least you admit he lost. That's progress!

Reactions: gteeitup
We're about to hit the 600,000 deaths mark. I would have never thought that was possible a year ago.

Traditional flu is also sometimes asymptomatic, some people feel symptoms, some don't.

'excess deaths' numbers certainly aren't subjective, and follow other estimates indicating covid-19 has been close to 5 times more deadly infection fatality rate in the US.

Last edited:
Traditional flu is also sometimes asymptomatic, some people feel symptoms, some don't.

the asymptomatic date on flu vs Covid is not even close, but nice try.

bottom line: this time last year covid was sold as an outright death sentence across the board ... turns out the death data is nearly identical to the average flu (as many of us said from day one and were laughed at). it's a real thing, but it should have never been a "shut down the economy" real thing.

Reactions: bluetoe
Well, it was obviously used to help defeat Trump. You think Donald Trump wouldn't have exploited it the exact same way if the roles were reversed? I think it's been proven, especially by Trump's own comments to Bob Woodward, that he dangerously downplayed it so it wouldn't cost him the election. At least you admit he lost. That's progress!
i was one of the first Trump supporters on OTB to concede the loss. there was definitely some shady stuff going on with the mail in / late vote, but he lost regardless.

and yes, he would have done the same thing, but that doesnt change the fact that the media massively overreacted and created so much unnecessary fear. it was politically charged from day one. Trump walks the dog if the economy doesnt Covid-crash.

Last edited:

The irony being that trump could have used it as a weapon to insure a win.

Reactions: strummingram
Trump-voting districts/counties had higher fatalities from covid (and probably higher hospitalization rates).

E2KubjiX0AoduNd

Per Twitter @greg_travis

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT