ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus

I give KY props for being #11 in vax nationwide.

I'm not sure the wind was at Biden's back. There was no wind at all, really. At some point, the bleeds of the world won't get the vax. You can't make them.
Not necessarily true. Even though I'm concerned about the vaccine effects, I'm always open to a cash bribe.

The vaccine was never intended to "stop the virus", doctor.
This is true. In fact, none of the precautions, shutdowns, etc. were intended to stop the virus.

They were designed to "flatten the curve". Haven't heard that phrase since... well... since we flattened the curve. The hospitals aren't overcrowded, we have more PPE than we know what to do with, those with compromised immune systems know they need to be extra careful, etc.

The goal posts on how to successfully handle the pandemic have moved substantially.

Reactions: plm and timo0402
Name your price. Bill Gates has deep pockets.
9Lng.gif

This is true. In fact, none of the precautions, shutdowns, etc. were intended to stop the virus.

They were designed to "flatten the curve". Haven't heard that phrase since... well... since we flattened the curve. The hospitals aren't overcrowded, we have more PPE than we know what to do with, those with compromised immune systems know they need to be extra careful, etc.

The goal posts on how to successfully handle the pandemic have moved substantially.
The goal posts have moved so far that i don’t even know we are in the same Universe we were in a year ago on “the science.” From a simple 2 weeks to slow the spread- ie don’t overwhelm hospital systems, we are now going back to mask mandates even for those who are vaccinated and, my favorite, the least At risk group ever- children under 18. Out of 75M or so kids under 18, a whopping total of about 350 died bc of covid. Why exactly are we requiring them to mask? Oh right, bc they can SpReAd the virus. You know, like anyone else can. Yeah but they can’t get vaxxed!! WHO the FCK cares. If you are that worried, either A. Go get vaxxed, it’s available to any one over 12 years old that wants it, or 2. Don’t leave your home. This doesn’t even factor in the actual data about the virus currently. A seven day rolling average of deaths from covid in a country of 350M? About 250-275 people. Give. Me. A, Break. 160M+ adults have already been vaxxed and god knows how many tens of millions have already had covid and have natural antibody immunity. This is no longer about “keeping people safe.” This is freaking nuts.

Bingo. I'm pretty much done with the handwringing. Even now, we're still nowhere close to where we were at the worst of the pandemic and the CDC changes course again. It's that constant flip flopping that confuses people which ends up making people trusting them less.

This isn't a disease you can completely eradicate. Let those who want the vaccine get it. Those who don't...well whatever happens to them, it's their fault. Covid isn't the Black Death. I'm not going back to wearing a stupid mask everywhere.

Bingo. I'm pretty much done with the handwringing. Even now, we're still nowhere close to where we were at the worst of the pandemic and the CDC changes course again. It's that constant flip flopping that confuses people which ends up making people trusting them less.

This isn't a disease you can completely eradicate. Let those who want the vaccine get it. Those who don't...well whatever happens to them, it's their fault. Covid isn't the Black Death. I'm not going back to wearing a stupid mask everywhere.
And, I'm not truly convinced that wearing a mask is even much of a mitigation! I mean, maybe since this Delta variant is much more easily transmitted, then the masks are helpful? I dunno. If you're vaccinated, then, theoretically, even if you catch it, it should be a much less dangerous infection.

@gteeitup , have you had any substantial illness feelings since the positive test? Are you still positive?

And, I'm not truly convinced that wearing a mask is even much of a mitigation! I mean, maybe since this Delta variant is much more easily transmitted, then the masks are helpful? I dunno. If you're vaccinated, then, theoretically, even if you catch it, it should be a much less dangerous infection.

@gteeitup , have you had any substantial illness feelings since the positive test? Are you still positive?
I think cotton masks are even less helpful due to Delta.

Delta apparently results in more cells in your throat/nasal. They talk about viral load, with Delta it's higher.

"On average, people infected with the delta variant had about 1,000 times more copies of the virus in their respiratory tracts than those infected with the original strain of the coronavirus, the study reported."

And the cell of the Delta variant has some factor which results in people becoming infectious sooner compared to the orig. 4 days vs 6 days.

Anyway, I'd guess that if you're spitting out gunk with even more cells, then you need an even better mask.

I saw a thing that said Delta actually isn't more harmful once you contract it... so hospitalizations are up purely due case-counts up among the young, the unvaccinated and the handful of breakthru's like gteeitup.

Reactions: strummingram
still feel the same...i did the yard this morning and it didn’t seem anymore difficult than before, even in this heat...if it were spring, i’d think allergies were the culprit...it appears i only have one of delta symptoms, though.

i had a video conference yesterday with my pcp and she reiterated that it was a good thing i had the vaccine or my symptoms could be worse...i have taken a test everyday through today and they’ve all been positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: strummingram
well, if Dee Snyder says so......

Meanwhile, I'll report for nobody cares that I got the Atrial Fibrillation shocked out of my heart. It took three shocks. I have a new medicine that is supposed to help keep things on track, that initially did extreme obscenities to my lower GI. Seem to be acclimated to it at this point. And the beat goes on, so to speak.

The stuff they sedate you with is weird. You're talking and wide awake and you finally ask 'when are we going to rock and roll with this dealio?' and they chuckle and say, 'dude, it's over, we're just cleaning up.' Absolutely no indication at all of having been out for even a second.

Glad you're doing well, @gteeitup

@bluetoe first and foremost, glad you're doing better...also, also for the well wishes.

my poast re: dee was just to provide another example of how important the vaccine is to lessen the impact on new infections.

to the board, mask mandate or vaccine?

I dont think the mask mandate helps in any way. Sure if everyone was wearing high quality masks then it would but getting those from Dollar General are a waste of time. I think the vaccine does help but not knowing long term effects is why i'm concerned with that option.

I'm also in favor of not going back to masks.

The overwhelming scientific data is that if you're vaccinated and you get Covid then your symptoms are usually that of a common cold. So if you're asking me to wear a mask to avoid getting a cold, then nah, not gonna happen.

And those that choose to not get vaccinated, like the thousands upon thousands in the hospital currently with this disease, then that's their choice. Once the vaccine became readily available and proven extremely effective in preventing serious illness, it become on each individual person being able to control how they want this virus to impact them.

The overwhelming scientific data is that if you're vaccinated and you get Covid then your symptoms are usually that of a common cold. So if you're asking me to wear a mask to avoid getting a cold, then nah, not gonna happen.

And those that choose to not get vaccinated, like the thousands upon thousands in the hospital currently with this disease, then that's their choice. Once the vaccine became readily available and proven extremely effective in preventing serious illness, it become on each individual person being able to control how they want this virus to impact them.

Reasonable poast.

Reactions: timo0402

Agree times 1,000

Agree times 1,000
Same. This is no longer a discussion bc if you want the vaccine YOU have the ability to get one anytime you want. If you don’t want it, your choice. We all live with whatever consequences we choose.

and that’s a hard no for me dawg with respect to the masks.

Reactions: carolinablue34
Same. This is no longer a discussion bc if you want the vaccine YOU have the ability to get one anytime you want. If you don’t want it, your choice. We all live with whatever consequences we choose.

The hardest thing is for compromised people. I know several who want the vaccine, but cancer or heart conditions keep them from being vaccinated. But they have to chose their risk in going out in public. The public should not be held back for them. Walk in options and curb side places can keep them moving. Bars, gyms, and movies should be for those that choose. Keeping everyone at bay with mask and gathering restrictions at this point is crazy.

The hardest thing is for compromised people. I know several who want the vaccine, but cancer or heart conditions keep them from being vaccinated. But they have to chose their risk in going out in public. The public should not be held back for them. Walk in options and curb side places can keep them moving. Bars, gyms, and movies should be for those that choose. Keeping everyone at bay with mask and gathering restrictions at this point is crazy.
Isn't that compromised persons list now actually pretty small? I thought with most cancers and PEC's it's still safe to get the vaccine?

That was my only hesitation were the people who literally can't get a vaccine if they want it, but I'd argue that's just as risky for Covid as it is with pneumonia, the flu, or any other respiratory disease for them. So the risk is already elevated and we didn't go to masks for those illnesses.

Yep we are down in Florida for vacation and I told my girlfriend I’m not going to spend money, drive etc to wear a mask for a week…

Isn't that compromised persons list now actually pretty small? I thought with most cancers and PEC's it's still safe to get the vaccine?

That was my only hesitation were the people who literally can't get a vaccine if they want it, but I'd argue that's just as risky for Covid as it is with pneumonia, the flu, or any other respiratory disease for them. So the risk is already elevated and we didn't go to masks for those illnesses.
I know of 2 people in my church whose doctors wont allow them to at this point

I agree, it is really about trying to avoid new bad variants at this point. The non-vaxxed / non-masked are kinda promoting spread and more spread = more variants. Maybe we don't care about new variants or maybe we do, for example if a new one evades the vaccine, behaves like MERS, means no sports this fall, etc then we should.

Last edited:
to the board, mask mandate or vaccine?
I don't like gov level vaccine mandate, but private employers and orgs should have at it.
I'm fine with indoor businesses checking vaccine cards and making someone wear a real (provide n95 or surgical) mask if they haven't been vaccinated.

Reactions: gteeitup
I don't like gov level vaccine mandate, but private employers and orgs should have at it.
I'm fine with indoor businesses checking vaccine cards and making someone wear a real (provide n95 or surgical) mask if they haven't been vaccinated.
this was my next question and i agree with your poast.

anyone else want to share opinions on private businesses?

i don’t have to go in anymore...we have made it clear, any unvaccinated employees must wear a mask while in the office; two have done a 180 and got their first this week i believe...all transactions with clients are done outside, so they aren’t even going in either building.

the only person we have to have in the office is the person opening mail and sending disbursement checks out(one of two that is now one shot down).

during the pandemic we somehow figured out to be more efficient and more productive...i’m like “well no sheeet, nobody is standing around bs’ing with co-workers”

Last edited:
I agree, it is really about trying to avoid new bad variants at this point. The non-vaxxed / non-masked are kinda promoting spread and more spread = more variants. Maybe we don't care about new variants or maybe we do, for example if a new one evades the vaccine, behaves like MERS, means no sports this fall, etc then we should.

All this time, I thought you were about saving lives. But you’re in favor of bringing back mask mandates and potentially closing more small businesses because of sports?

this was my next question and i agree with your poast.

anyone else want to share opinions on private businesses?

i don’t have to go in anymore...we have made it clear, any unvaccinated employees must wear a mask while in the office; two have done a 180 and got their first this week i believe...all transactions with clients are done outside, so they aren’t even going in either building.

the only person we have to have in the office is the person opening mail and sending disbursement checks out(one of two that is now one shot down).

during the pandemic we somehow figured out to be more efficient and more productive...i’m like “well no sheeet, nobody is standing around bs’ing with co-workers”
If a private business wants to mandate its customers wear a mask, that is their right. If a publicly traded business wants to do that? I think they should poll their shareholders. But just as it is their right to require (or not) masking, we have the right to not spend our money there.

As far as the variants post above. We are not going to just stop variants from happening. They’ll be around presumably forever. If you’re vaccinated, you’re fine. If you’re going to freak out every time a new variant pops up, ignore the actual data and risk factors, that’s on you.

All this time, I thought you were about saving lives. But you’re in favor of bringing back mask mandates and potentially closing more small businesses because of sports?
I said maybe we do care, maybe we don't care. Reading is fun!

I'm partly about saving lives and partly about saving the economy. Obviously you need a balance.

Economies struggle during pandemics. Sports is a nice byproduct of normalcy that can return when this pandemic is behind us.

Last edited:
As far as the variants post above. If you’re vaccinated, you’re fine.
I don't get this part, since vaccine evasion is one remote concern regarding variants.

The more spread the more chance of variation.

Like I said, maybe we care, maybe we don't. But getting everyone vaccinated or wearing masks in super-spreader places if you are unvaccinated might be worth the eradication.

I don't get this part, since vaccine evasion is one remote concern regarding variants.

The more spread the more chance of variation.

Like I said, maybe we care, maybe we don't. But getting everyone vaccinated or wearing masks in super-spreader places if you are unvaccinated might be worth the eradication.

Problem is, you can't eradicate it. I'm not particularly concerned about new variants simply because these vaccines a) will last while and b) by the time there is a strain that can avoid it, the virus will probably not be as deadly as it is now because most of us will have some form of natural immunity to it. Same thing happened with Spanish Flu.

Reactions: Heelicious
If a private business wants to mandate its customers wear a mask, that is their right. If a publicly traded business wants to do that? I think they should poll their shareholders. But just as it is their right to require (or not) masking, we have the right to not spend our money there.

As far as the variants post above. We are not going to just stop variants from happening. They’ll be around presumably forever. If you’re vaccinated, you’re fine. If you’re going to freak out every time a new variant pops up, ignore the actual data and risk factors, that’s on you.
you might be fine, but maybe others around you are not...while seemingly low, the transmission rate from vaccinated is still unclear.

i’m interested in stopping the spread and now that i have it as a vaccinated adult, i have to isolate in my own house(which isn’t bad at times) and not continue like i was just a week and a half ago.

you might be fine, but maybe others around you are not...while seemingly low, the transmission rate from vaccinated is still unclear.

i’m interested in stopping the spread and now that i have it as a vaccinated adult, i have to isolate in my own house(which isn’t bad at times) and not continue like i was just a week and a half ago.
If i am vaccinated, i did what i was supposed to do. If someone else is NOT, they are the ones who need to be cautious of whatever it is their trying to avoid.

It really isn’t a difficult concept, and one we’ve actually been doing for the most part for the better part of a year now. If you had elderly or immunocompromised people in your family, you needed to make that decision, based on risk factors. many people didn’t see their grandparents, older aunts and uncles etc. I know i didn’t.

Now that ~80% of elderly people 65+ Have been vaxxed…it’s again on those who choose not to get the vaccine. It’s them that need to make those decisions. And, i do empathize for that very very small group that cannot get the vaccine for whatever health reasons, but they need to go by the guidance of their doctors and healthcare advisors.

Reactions: Heelicious

And you’re right, it’s unclear. So we are just going to live in constant fear? Herd immunity if it hasn’t been reached already is damn near there. Based on numbers alone.

Did someone mention a cash bribe?

That is so stupid. People who feel strongly about the vaccine are not going to change their minds because of a measly $100. That’s absurd. Pay my mortgage off and give me another $100k to blow and I’d consider it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT