ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus

I've loved watching people who call out the anti-vaxx crowd turn full anti-vaxx themselves all of a sudden.
...but those other vaccines have been around for ages and have saved countless lives, while only killing comparatively few in the process. At least that’s what we’ve been told.

Reactions: UNC71-00
I've loved watching people who call out the anti-vaxx crowd turn full anti-vaxx themselves all of a sudden.
[/QUOvTE]
I haven’t seen any here. Any sane person is going to be cautious if it appears the vaccine is being rushed out to help someone win re-election. The minute it is shown to be safe I will be in line to get it. Says a lot about where this country is at when politics even come into the picture regarding a vaccine.

Who is the "anti-vaxx" crowd? There's only like a dozen of us here!
I was referring to all anti-vaxx people, not just people who poast here.

I haven’t seen any here. Any sane person is going to be cautious if it appears the vaccine is being rushed out to help someone win re-election. The minute it is shown to be safe I will be in line to get it. Says a lot about where this country is at when politics even come into the picture regarding a vaccine.
"The minute it is shown to be safe" will be once the FDA approves it. And it certainly does say a lot when politics comes into the picture as to whether someone believes the FDA or not regarding a vaccine.

"The minute it is shown to be safe" will be once the FDA approves it. And it certainly does say a lot when politics comes into the picture as to whether someone believes the FDA or not regarding a vaccine.
The issue for me is that the amount of data the FDA has is significantly less than normal. I have no doubt that they will only approve it if it is safe using the info they have, but what happens as more info comes in? Third ear growth on your asshole might not be something that shows up until eight months afterwards. Plus you also have the efficacy issue that will take a while to sort out.

The issue for me is that the amount of data the FDA has is significantly less than normal. I have no doubt that they will only approve it if it is safe using the info they have, but what happens as more info comes in? Third ear growth on your asshole might not be something that shows up until eight months afterwards. Plus you also have the efficacy issue that will take a while to sort out.

Good point. If it takes eight months to work properly then I’ll probably wait for the good stuff.

I know you're mostly joking - but serious ramifications with basically every modern vaccine test happened either within the first 2 weeks or after 25+ years, not in between. So it's not like months later you suddenly have elephantiasis from a shot.

This is especially true if you're a decently healthy adult. Most vaccine complications in the past have come from testing subjects young and old or with prior serious diseases. I think you said you're diabetic? So I understand your concern there but with a common one like that they'll usually have the test population have a good number of diabetics.

First, when I was 14 my brain had room for basketball and boobs, not much else. Second, if this actually is even remotely helpful to scientists and it's not something they knew (I find it hard to imagine) then she deserves about 2 more zeros on that 25K prize.

I know you're mostly joking - but serious ramifications with basically every modern vaccine test happened either within the first 2 weeks or after 25+ years, not in between. So it's not like months later you suddenly have elephantiasis from a shot.

This is especially true if you're a decently healthy adult. Most vaccine complications in the past have come from testing subjects young and old or with prior serious diseases. I think you said you're diabetic? So I understand your concern there but with a common one like that they'll usually have the test population have a good number of diabetics.
I'm not diabetic, but I do have some underlying health issues. That's not what's causing me concern though. These things take years to make because of safety issues and to make sure they actually work. It's hard for me to believe that something that normally takes years, if not decades to make, is going to be just as good when made in a year. There's going to be more error than normal. I think the more likely scenario is that it doesn't work well, but the side effects do worry me some. I'll get it eventually, just not at first.

Reactions: strummingram
I'll take the vaccine when scientists other than Steve Hahn and Robert Redfield give the green light.

Cuomo might be hurting public trust, but it is pretty bad already. I'm guessing he read this article detailing the fall of the CDC - https://www.propublica.org/article/inside-the-fall-of-the-cdc it's bad. FDA isn't far behind.
So you're waiting on some organization other than the organization in charge of telling the public whether medicines are safe to tell you that medicine is safe.

Your bias is showing.

I'm not diabetic, but I do have some underlying health issues. That's not what's causing me concern though. These things take years to make because of safety issues and to make sure they actually work. It's hard for me to believe that something that normally takes years, if not decades to make, is going to be just as good when made in a year. There's going to be more error than normal. I think the more likely scenario is that it doesn't work well, but the side effects do worry me some. I'll get it eventually, just not at first.
I see what you're saying. The amount of man hours going into this vaccine likely exceeds a typical process, because of the vast amount of people working on it, from so many countries. Timelines are accelerated because of the significance of this particular vaccine - but that doesn't mean quality or safety is necessarily being sacrificed. There a ton of subjects in these trials, but it's true that even though we have a lot of subjects, it's not possible to observe effects after a year+ of receiving the vaccine, due to the accelerated timeline.

Reactions: dadika13
So you're waiting on some organization other than the organization in charge of telling the public whether medicines are safe to tell you that medicine is safe.

Your bias is showing.
More than bias, i'm totally prejudiced and skeptical of stuff coming from the CDC, and Steve Hahn, the article above is a good breakdown on CDC, and Hahn damaged his integrity a few times (hydroxy, c plasma, and etc).

If Obama's HHS was forcing the CDC to reword their reports I would've distrusted his CDC too. Politics and Pub health shouldn't mix.

And it isn't an organization i'm looking at, rather the scientific community as a whole (Gottlieb, Fauci and tons of others in public health with academic or gov ties, but not Dr Oz or Mr Pillow)

Last edited:
I see what you're saying. The amount of man hours going into this vaccine likely exceeds a typical process, because of the vast amount of people working on it, from so many countries. Timelines are accelerated because of the significance of this particular vaccine - but that doesn't mean quality or safety is necessarily being sacrificed. There a ton of subjects in these trials, but it's true that even though we have a lot of subjects, it's not possible to observe effects after a year+ of receiving the vaccine, due to the accelerated timeline.

Exactly. It's very rare that you have like 80% of production from every big pharma company on the planet working on the same thing.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
my mom (64) just got over Covid ... no fever, cough and fatigue for a few days. she's negative and non-contagious now ... back to life as normal. she's the 6th member of my family to have it. the flu has been much worse on our family over the last decade. the Covid reaction is still a joke.

I’ve been told the vaccine is the mark of the beast and will be used by Bill gates to track you.

No shit seriously I have been told that several times by different people

fwiw I’m hesitant as well to take it early on in its release though. Not because it’s satans mark but the way this thing has been politicized I’m totally jaded against believing anything.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Wait...are you insinuating that those who were beating the drum for science are now against science? Weird. It's almost like they have an agenda and they weren't really such a staunch believer in "science" to begin with.
They like science when it agrees with their agenda. When it goes against it - scientists are just a bunch of quacks anyways.

I’ve been told the vaccine is the mark of the beast and will be used by Bill gates to track you.

No shit seriously I have been told that several times by different people

fwiw I’m hesitant as well to take it early on in its release though. Not because it’s satans mark but the way this thing has been politicized I’m totally jaded against believing anything.

based on the symptoms (or lack thereof) of the 20 or so folks that i know firsthand who've had it, i'm not taking the Covid vaccine ... just like i've never had a flu vaccine. i'm not anti-vaxx in general, though.

I don't trust "science" when Michael Caputo is telling "the scientists" what they can and cannot say and who they can and cannot talk to. Otherwise i'm right there with you on the trust train.
Unless he is actively participating in making the vaccine, I don't think what he is doing matters that much in this case.

I don't trust "science" when Michael Caputo is telling "the scientists" what they can and cannot say and who they can and cannot talk to. Otherwise i'm right there with you on the trust train.

You trust the scientists from Harvard- do you think the people paying them are telling them what to say?

For example, from January 2012 to June 2018, 15 colleges and universities reported receiving $15.5 million from Hanban, the headquarters of Confucius Institutes, which are schools and programs funded by the Chinese government that commonly teach language and culture but are controlled by high-ranking officials in Beijing and widely considered a propaganda machine.

And from another source- the Philadelphia Inquirer:

About 115 colleges got monetary gifts, contracts or both from sources in mainland China in the 6½ years through June, according to a Bloomberg analysis of U.S. government data. The leader was Harvard University, which pulled in $93.7 million, the majority as gifts. The University of Southern California and University of Pennsylvania were second and third.

Or do you think China is just donating the money because they believe in the virtue of higher education in the US?

You trust the scientists from Harvard- do you think the people paying them are telling them what to say?

For example, from January 2012 to June 2018, 15 colleges and universities reported receiving $15.5 million from Hanban, the headquarters of Confucius Institutes, which are schools and programs funded by the Chinese government that commonly teach language and culture but are controlled by high-ranking officials in Beijing and widely considered a propaganda machine.

And from another source- the Philadelphia Inquirer:

About 115 colleges got monetary gifts, contracts or both from sources in mainland China in the 6½ years through June, according to a Bloomberg analysis of U.S. government data. The leader was Harvard University, which pulled in $93.7 million, the majority as gifts. The University of Southern California and University of Pennsylvania were second and third.

Or do you think China is just donating the money because they believe in the virtue of higher education in the US?
How far does that web extend? Do you feel all of higher ed is "on the take"?

Unless he is actively participating in making the vaccine, I don't think what he is doing matters that much in this case.
True, just listing a reason why people are a little less trustful or more skeptical. Plus that dude resigned after his mental breakdown.

“Evidence suggests institutional decision-making is generally divorced from any sense of obligation to our taxpayers or concern for our American national interests, security, or values,” the report added.

The report said a school, identifiable as Georgetown University, has worked with the Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party, “derived $2,360,807” from an arrangement that demonstrated “significant intermingling” with China, and supported an academic exchange with Communist officials through the central committee’s Party School.

A Georgetown spokeswoman said the school’s tax filings show a nearly identical dollar amount in expenditures in the region, but not gifts or contracts from foreign entities, and that the details in the report were “a bit puzzling to us.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT