ADVERTISEMENT

Did you know...

What???

what-what-did-you-say.gif

Maybe Hubert was trying to put him back in the game and he couldn't hear him telling him to go in!

Honestly you guys joke but I'm not sure if congenital hearing loss applies or not, but the ears have a lot to do with balance. I have balance issues and hearing loss on my right side due to Meniere's Disease.

Maybe it does actually affect his shot. I have no idea.

Honestly you guys joke but I'm not sure if congenital hearing loss applies or not, but the ears have a lot to do with balance. I have balance issues and hearing loss on my right side due to Meniere's Disease.

If you know, and we know, I'm sure the UNC medical trainers know. I trust they've addressed it being a real problem or not. I'm sure he knew a long time ago that it was something he could overcome.

Reactions: tarheel0910

IIRC, Meniere's is a disease of the inner ear, which is indeed where balance is affected.
Eliot's hearing loss is congenital and shooting had never been an issue. The problem this year was (pardon the pun) between the ears, i.e., confidence.

I had a severe bout with Meniere's Disease back in 2005-2006, I was very worried for my career. Fortunately, I got some meds & some treatment and haven't had an issue since. I am finding the nearest wooden door to knock on as I type this. I retire on May 31st, so it wouldn't affect my career, but I still want to be able to play golf without worrying about getting disoriented, not to mention being a good husband and father.

I had a severe bout with Meniere's Disease back in 2005-2006, I was very worried for my career. Fortunately, I got some meds & some treatment and haven't had an issue since. I am finding the nearest wooden door to knock on as I type this. I retire on May 31st, so it wouldn't affect my career, but I still want to be able to play golf without worrying about getting disoriented, not to mention being a good husband and father.
I had the surgery for Meniere's. I lost most of the hearing in that ear but no more bouts of vertigo!

I had the surgery for Meniere's. I lost most of the hearing in that ear but no more bouts of vertigo!

I don't think I was ever presented with a surgery option, luckily the treatment and meds did the trick. Once again, headed to that same wooden door.

No doubt. That’s about the time my dad got shingles in his ear and suffers with balance even today.

I have a large amount of hearing loss in my right ear. The vertigo stopped on it's own after a few years. I only had one bout so bad I fell, the first. Literally the entire world flipped upside down, and I fell straight on my face. Others just made me nauseous or seasick. Lol.

But it stopped after awhile. However, my balance is completely lost. I can't walk a straight line anymore and in the balance test where they make you march with your eyes closed they literally made me stop because they thought I would get injured due to how badly I was off. Oh well.

IMG-5457.gif

I did a Google search of famous basketball players with hearing loss in one ear. The results didn’t come up with much. Yao Ming is practically deaf in one ear and Lance Allred has 75%-80% hearing loss.

Also, did you know…

Cadeau speaks fluent Swedish

In the recent 2-part series on singer/songwriter Paul Simon I learned that he lost hearing in one ear while putting together his latest album. He said it really messed him up when trying to lay down tracks.

Not relevant to basketball, but interesting.

Reactions: Heelicious
Assuming this is for real and not an April Fool's joke, is there any reason to think it would affect his shooting, or any other gameplay?

The one thing I can imagine is that if an out-of-sight teammate is calling to him, it might take him a fraction longer to pinpoint where that teammate is.

I mean normally if I'm behind you and I call to you, you know whether I'm behind to your left or behind to your right, so you can turn the correct way. But if you're only hearing me through one ear, I'm guessing there's a higher risk you will turn the wrong way.

Reactions: Heelicious
Assuming this is for real and not an April Fool's joke, is there any reason to think it would affect his shooting, or any other gameplay?

The one thing I can imagine is that if an out-of-sight teammate is calling to him, it might take him a fraction longer to pinpoint where that teammate is.

I mean normally if I'm behind you and I call to you, you know whether I'm behind to your left or behind to your right, so you can turn the correct way. But if you're only hearing me through one ear, I'm guessing there's a higher risk you will turn the wrong way.
Have you seen his pass finds?

Can't say I had "Gary defending Cadeau's alleged hearing loss" on my bingo card for this Tuesday afternoon. What a time to be alive.
Is he like upset? Nobody is digging at Cadeau with this thread. I didn't know it til I saw it, and I thought it was interesting. Figured I would share and see who else knew that.

Is he that defensive over Cadeau? Yikes.

IIRC, Meniere's is a disease of the inner ear, which is indeed where balance is affected.
Eliot's hearing loss is congenital and shooting had never been an issue. The problem this year was (pardon the pun) between the ears, i.e., confidence.
Yes, you are correct. And I'm sure it doesn't affect his balance.

Reactions: gary-7

Yes, our brains use the delay in sound between reaching the ears to judge where a sound is coming from. A sound coming from your left reaches your left ear first. It is one reason that sound (to us) underwater is omni directional because the density of water makes sounds reach our ears at the same time.

Off this topic question. Have any of you had success with any particular tinnitus treatment?
I wish. Some of the YouTube videos that play specific sounds work . . . but only for a few minutes. Makes it seem like there's something there that could be refined to work better, but that probably would have happened already if it were easy.

WWJD, l often use ear buds and play music which overrides the annoying and incessant tinnitus
soundtrack, which seems to apply the same principles that you described. Temporary, but an
improvement nevertheless.
Have you had your ears tested? I planned to but then the pandemic hit and I haven't gotten around to it.

A few years back I stumbled across these DIY clips on YouTube. I was shocked to find hearing losses at several spots in the higher frequencies. Interestingly the losses were only noticeable using headphones, not normal good quality speakers. At first I thought it must be something to do with crossovers or whatever in the headphones, but I have a lot of headphones from cheap to very good and results were similar with all of them.

As I say, these are many years old, so there may be better ones, but it's someplace to start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT