ADVERTISEMENT

Do Undrafted Hoop Players Ever Make It In the NFL?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
Does this happen much? Ever?

On the one hand, they haven't been playing football, so would the learning curve be prohibitive?

On the other hand, some of these basketball players sound good for some football positions. I mean a lot of them are fast, tall, and have good hands. Some are good passers. Most of them have avoided head injuries.

Beejay Anya on the offensive line?

Not just guys who aren't drafted, either. How about Kendall as a quarterback? Or Berry?

If Luke doesn't make it in the NBA, how about as a wide receiver? He runs fast and catches the ball well. Nice tall target. Theo would be an awesome receiver. JP Tokoto? Just throw the ball too high for the defender and watch him go up and get it.

Have never heard of this happening (guys like Jimmy Graham and Tony Gonzalez played football in college too). I think you're oversimplifying the amount of skill development and sport-specific athleticism necessary to succeed in the NFL. There's a reason the guys you mention weren't even top football recruits in HS, and with 4 years away from the game the basically have no chance.

I think a true outlier athlete (Lebron, Westbrook) could succeed with a year of training, but not your typical good D-1 college player. Most of these guys would be below average NFL athletes.

Does this happen much? Ever?

On the one hand, they haven't been playing football, so would the learning curve be prohibitive?

On the other hand, some of these basketball players sound good for some football positions. I mean a lot of them are fast, tall, and have good hands. Some are good passers. Most of them have avoided head injuries.

Beejay Anya on the offensive line?

Not just guys who aren't drafted, either. How about Kendall as a quarterback? Or Berry?

If Luke doesn't make it in the NBA, how about as a wide receiver? He runs fast and catches the ball well. Nice tall target. Theo would be an awesome receiver. JP Tokoto? Just throw the ball too high for the defender and watch him go up and get it.

The newest one is TE Erik Swoope (Miami) in his 4th year with the Colts. He was undrafted in the NFL as well. He had no football experience. Was on the practice squad the first two years then got to play some last year. He looks good. He's currently on the IR. Was expected to play a major role this year and can still be taken off IR. Colts also signed undrafted TE Mo Ali-Cox (VCU) this year. Was signed to the practice squad then cut due to injury then put on IR.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT