ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Should Be Worried

Steat

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 20, 2006
Lets be honest folks. How many of you picked UNC to win last night on the record? The Heels learned something last night which is going to be valuable down the stretch...."They can beat Duke". The only bad match-up for the Heels in the conference is Virginia. Stay out of Virginia's side of the draw and the Heels have a good chance to make the ACC Championship game. Quinn Cook had a career game and the chances of that happening again are slim and none.

Remember that Connecticut got hot last year and won the Dance with over 10 losses. The Heels will be playing with house money the rest of the way.

Duke fans should be worried, especially if they are expecting a Final Four appearance. Don't see that happening. Don't be shocked to see the Heels go further than Duke in the Dance.

I know last night's game is upsetting to many. Time to move on....NEXT!

This post was edited on 2/19 11:36 AM by Steat

They should definitely be worried if Okafor's ankle is a constant issue going forward.
Looks like he may not play this Saturday or will be limited.

Worried because a Carolina-Duke game went to OT??? lol.

You're reaching here IMHO lol. I'd say Duke (and fans) feel better that the team was tested yet again and came away with a W.

So the OP is saying that Carolina should feel better about their season at this point than Duke should? I'm confused.

I know last night was probably tough for UNC (and fans), but its not the end of the world. Are we really about to debate the fate of each team based on a game that is usually close regardless of either teams record??

Originally posted by MustSeeTV:
Worried because a Carolina-Duke game went to OT??? lol.

You're reaching here IMHO lol. I'd say Duke (and fans) feel better that the team was tested yet again and came away with a W.

So the OP is saying that Carolina should feel better about their season at this point than Duke should? I'm confused.

I know last night was probably tough for UNC (and fans), but its not the end of the world. Are we really about to debate the fate of each team based on a game that is usually close regardless of either teams record??
That's a fair albeit trolling response. But I get what Steat's saying. We gave duke that game. We were the better team for most of the night and pissed it away down the stretch. In addition, the calls seemed to favor duke. I'm not saying that the officiating lost the game for us. But we played through some questionable calls and built a lead that 90% of the time would be insurmountable.

I credit duke for staying tough and espcially Tyus Jones for making big plays (although that was a complete garbage call on Joel Berry when Jones clearly initiated the contact of hitting Berry in the chin with his elbow but he got the call and converted a crucial 3 point play). He's a gamer.

As far as who's had the better season, that's irrelevant at this point. I know duke fans and K love to crow about winning a bunch of games in Nov and Dec but look where that's gotten you 2 out of the last 3 years. If we split, and duke nor UNC win the ACC tournament or national title, then the teams had basically the same season. Neither team will have achieved its goal. Because teams like duke and UNC don't measure seasons by who won a couple more games than the other. Seasons are measured by banners. 2nd place is the first place loser.

Reactions: Showenuff
I must say I was bumming last night, but after sleeping on it, this topic is absolutely correct. I won't say dook got lucky, because they obviously showed plenty of skill to win the game.

However, when this game is firmly in the backseat mirror, when they square off in Chapel Hill to end the regular season, the mindset in the Carolina players minds will be "We should have beat this team, fairly handedly in their own house, and we let it slip away, we'll make sure we get them this time".

The dook mindset will be "We shot the lights out from 3 to keep us in that game and our main attraction Okafor was bullied and damn near dominated down low by Meeks/Brice/James, I don't know if we can pull out another one especially away from our beloved Hansbrough Indoor"

Who gives a crap about Duke? Hey, UNC just got beat by them. Yes, they should be worried. So should UK. Everyone should. UNC should more worried, because they are in real trouble the rest of the way.

I'm not sure how "worried" Duke or it's fans should be. From what I saw, a very strong UNC team came into their house and was about to win and Duke proceeded to give'em their best and won in OT. If Duke had lost? Then maybe they should be worried. That game, and Duke's performance, was hardly anything to cause anyone who is dook-affiliated to be worried. As far as Quinn Cook having a career game... Cook can shoot like that every night. That's one of Duke's frequent abilities- guards that nail 3's all night.

Personally, I'll be surprised if UNC goes beyond the Sweet 16. The kids showed heart last night, but I see some demoralized attitudes growing. Losing after "we were winning" again may be taking a toll. I hope I'm wrong, and I'm always pulling for them, but this team lacks the necessary weapons to go all the way. As far as our fan base; I saw people starting to drag the team's best player to the "out to pasture room" last night for having a bad night. Paige is a huge piece to our success and even he is having difficulty due to his injury.

I see a UNC fanbase that is already worried, and a team that is struggling to get a win. I hope it gets better soon.

I think neither team should be worried and that there were alot of positives that came out of this game. Cook has been a constant for us this year and ever played very well in a bad loss to Mercer to end last year. I think saying Duke should be worried about its chances going forward belittles a great game by Meeks against Okafor, Tokoto looking like an All American and Hicks playing extremely well off of the bench. This game was similar to the Austin Rivers game to me, and if Carolina had held on to win, it would have mirrored the talented underdog team winning on their rival's court despite long shot odds.

I personally could not care less if and by hew much dook fans are worried .They can take their collective worry or whatever and shove it up their collective butts

I was in the small minority that felt and believed we would win and we should have ...but did not .Ton of reasons why but if one looks at that game the BIG thing I take away is a more mentally tough team, yes that did make mistakes and missed a couple of FTS SO too did dook....dook also for the umpteenth time got all the needed calls at the end and also got NO calls on the constant mugging of our players

The BIG PLAYER thing I took away is Joel James. The kid played WELL, VERY well and IF he can continue to progress and give us a solid 12 mins 6 points 5 rebs/game that would be a HUGE boost and really help this team

JJ looks lost out there and perhaps it is the freshman wall he has hit.

Berry needs more PT and JP hopefully can continue his rebound from his slump.

I am looking forward to this weekend and the start of a winning streaks that will propel us into March

GO HEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Steat:
Lets be honest folks. How many of you picked UNC to win last night on the record? The Heels learned something last night which is going to be valuable down the stretch...."They can beat Duke". The only bad match-up for the Heels in the conference is Virginia. Stay out of Virginia's side of the draw and the Heels have a good chance to make the ACC Championship game. Quinn Cook had a career game and the chances of that happening again are slim and none.

Remember that Connecticut got hot last year and won the Dance with over 10 losses. The Heels will be playing with house money the rest of the way.

Duke fans should be worried, especially if they are expecting a Final Four appearance. Don't see that happening. Don't be shocked to see the Heels go further than Duke in the Dance.
[/B]

This post was edited on 2/19 11:36 AM by SteatMore times than not[/B]

They need to focus on the round of 64 .... first and foremost.
happy0016.r191677.gif

The Heels will play loose the rest of the way and don't be suprised if they do. If Duke is a Final Four team then the Heels are a Final Four team. Our best player had 5 points.....5 freaken points! Duke fans better be worried and be prepared for a let down. Joel James in he short time in the game dominated Okafor when Joel had the ball on offense. I love Joel, but what he did to Okafor was a crime. Joel would be 10th team all-ACC and Okafor is a Wooden finalist. Okafor is liability on defense. As in the past Duke relies too much on the 3-point shot and it will be there downfall in the Dance. A good defensive team will beat them. Quinn Cook had his career game. Duke will get a #1 seed and watch the pressure on the young players.

This post was edited on 2/19 3:28 PM by Steat

This post was edited on 2/19 1:30 PM by Steat

I've said this since watching the first 5 or 6 dook games ... Okafor has (mentally) been in the NBA since the first practice of the season. He's extremely lazy defensively and seems disinterested in hustling UNLESS it means he's gonna get the ball near the rim. Several times last night he loafed back up the court on defense .. but was blazing fast to get back offensively. He's a fantastic talent but he'll go down as another "great" dook freshman who won't sniff the FF. Cook is by far their most valuable player, has been all season ... and that says a lot.

Reactions: Crank_it_loud

You should worry about North Carolina, not Duke. UNC played very well last night, as many expected them too against Duke, but what about the other games you've been bombing? Getting hyped up for the rivalry is one thing, winning the other games is a whole 'nother story.

Why are newby Duke fans posting in this thread?

Regardless, Duke is a good team. Last night UNC showed they can be better than Duke when they play the right way. That doesn't happen enough though. UNC has to take care of that part of their game before we need to worry about anyone else. Duke has plenty of problems of their own, especially on the defensive end. We have plenty of problems as well, especially on the defensive end. Screw Duke. I don't really care about them. This team (UNC) has to figure out how to close out games. They were the better team last night but let Duke beat them.

Originally posted by Yasuo3750:

You should worry about North Carolina, not Duke. UNC played very well last night, as many expected them too against Duke, but what about the other games you've been bombing? Getting hyped up for the rivalry is one thing, winning the other games is a whole 'nother story.
Don't look back because Mr. Leheigh Mercer is gaining on you.

Good comeback. Very original. 10/10 would read again. Also its spelled "Lehigh", but I guess taking those fake classes didn't help your spelling.

Good comeback. Very original. 10/10 would read again. Also its spelled "Lehigh", but I guess taking those fake classes didn't help your spelling.
Yeah & I guess Lehigh taking your dukies to school taught you to spell their name! Wasn't it their PG named Ali that kept screaming "whats our name"? LOL

Reactions: Showenuff
Originally posted by coryfly:
Why are newby Duke fans posting in this thread?
A. They can't handle their wine coolers.
B. Mom left the internet on.
C. Actually older dook/uk trolls in disguise
D. All of the above

I would say that any outside shooter could have a career game against us. So if Cook lights us up for 24 next time, I will not be surprised.

Unless we get lucky, the only way we can hope to get to the ACC Championship and/or past the Sweet 16 is to see improved perimeter D and 3 point shooting.

Both require much better half court play, and Roy seems to think he can out run the need to play smart, consistent half court basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT