ADVERTISEMENT

Good Luck Tonight Tar Heels

I do think Ainge liked Tatum as much as anyone else. Jackson bailing on the workout may have had an impact in that, but who knows. Tatum fills more of a need for the Celtics than guards like Fultz, Ball, Fox, etc. it seems like he wants to keep his options open on IT, and taking Fultz would have forced his hand.

The thing I like about Danny is that he's not afraid to stick to his guns even if it's contrarian to the majority of the NBA, but yes he definitely took a risk passing on Fultz. Tatum really only needs to be his equal for it to be a good trade though because of the future lotto pick he got in addition to it. I won't even be upset if Ball ends up the best player (which I highly doubt will happen) because the team didn't need the mess that is LaVar Ball, so I'm happy they didn't take him.
I'd be concerned over Ainge's draft history. Unless he's trading picks, he isn't great. I'm also curious at the low sale price of Jimmy Butler. Celtics really couldnt get in there and offer better assets than Kris Dunn, Lavine off an ACL and swapping to move up 9 spots?

As a Celtics fanatic, I have mixed feeling about the Tatum pick.
Was he really #1 on Ainge's draft board?
Was Josh Jackson going to be the guy until he cancelled his workout with the Celtics?

Josh would take Tatum's cookies, and have him in tears

So you're projecting the entire career of a 19 year old that got drafted just last night?

Let me know how that works out for you...

No, because I'm not projecting that he'll stay with the Jazz for his entire career. But Bradley is never going to start over Rudy Gobert, and that's what he'd have to do to start in Utah, unless the Jazz want to wreck their spacing and defense. Gobert is arguably the best center in the league (Jokic and Cousins are also in the conversation; maybe Marc Gasol). Utah drafted Bradley to be Gobert's cheap backup.

Bradley absolutely has the ability to be a starter down the line. But it's highly unlikely he'll start for Utah.

Josh would take Tatum's cookies, and have him in tears

While I mostly agree with you on things, I strongly disagree on this. Tatum is going to be a stud in the NBA. Jackson may too, but I honestly think Tatum may turn out to be the best player from this draft class. Just glad he's not playing for dook next year.

No, because I'm not projecting that he'll stay with the Jazz for his entire career. But Bradley is never going to start over Rudy Gobert, and that's what he'd have to do to start in Utah, unless the Jazz want to wreck their spacing and defense. Gobert is arguably the best center in the league (Jokic and Cousins are also in the conversation; maybe Marc Gasol). Utah drafted Bradley to be Gobert's cheap backup.

Bradley absolutely has the ability to be a starter down the line. But it's highly unlikely he'll start for Utah.

You do realize they traded up two spots to go grab him right?

This means they thought the Spurs were going to take him and were willing to give up picks to make sure that didn't happen. That usually doesn't mean "cheap backup".

Reactions: trestyles
You do realize they traded up two spots to go grab him right?

This means they thought the Spurs were going to take him and were willing to give up picks to make sure that didn't happen. That usually doesn't mean "cheap backup".

A cheap backup is very valuable. Gobert plays about 30 minutes per game, and the remaining 18 minutes are important. 18 quality minutes per game can make a big difference, and filling those 18 minutes for negligible money helps the rest of your roster. Plus they may think he'd be a quality trade piece down the line.

The Jazz obviously think highly of him and did what they needed to do to snag him. That doesn't mean they intend to ever start him.

I'm not saying anything negative about Bradley. I'm saying he wasn't drafted into an optimal situation. With the Spurs he may have been a future starter.

Last edited:
While I mostly agree with you on things, I strongly disagree on this. Tatum is going to be a stud in the NBA. Jackson may too, but I honestly think Tatum may turn out to be the best player from this draft class. Just glad he's not playing for dook next year.

And I strongly disagree as well, and it's not because he went to dook.

If Josh will surround himself with quality people who wont let him be a nucklehead, that young man has all world potential. He has a "street tough" mentality that makes Tatum look like a nun.

Reactions: HeelzLover
Tatum's body and "sound" offensive game IMHO makes him ready now. Boston learning Isiah Thomas is not big enough to be your star, he is not just able to play defense because of his size is going to be there hurdle.

Josh Jackson has potential to be a superstar if and only if he can stretch the floor more consistently with his jumper.

TB with Spurs and Pop could have been the steal of the draft (Malik Monk is the steal at 11 IMO)

Justin Jackson, I would have preferred he landed with Harden or Westbrook because I know with his size shooting threes he could play right away. With Sac he needs that floata to work.

Fultz playing with Simmons has potential to be a disaster! Ben Simmons is the best player and although he prefers to pass, Fultz is not necessarily use to receiving passes to score. Embied staying healthy is only way that works.

One of the best drafts in awhile, I actually read about or saw on TV 90 percent of players chosen 1st round, lately anything past 10th pick are players I've never heard of.

Tatum's body and "sound" offensive game IMHO makes him ready now. Boston learning Isiah Thomas is not big enough to be your star, he is not just able to play defense because of his size is going to be there hurdle.

Josh Jackson has potential to be a superstar if and only if he can stretch the floor more consistently with his jumper.

True, and it got much better as the season went on at Kansas.

I'd be concerned over Ainge's draft history. Unless he's trading picks, he isn't great. I'm also curious at the low sale price of Jimmy Butler. Celtics really couldnt get in there and offer better assets than Kris Dunn, Lavine off an ACL and swapping to move up 9 spots?

We finally agree on something! Ainge had a great opportunity to form his own "super team". I guess all the Celtics were offering for Butler was their own first rd pick next year. They could have had Butler for the 3rd pick and Jaylen Brown, and still able to keep 6 future first round picks. That's crazy to me that Ainge didn't do this. Butler would have been a perfect fit to take down the Cavs, and still could sign Hayward.
IT
Butler
Hayward
Crowder
Horford

Small ball lineup needed against Cavs and Warriors. Looks good to me.

His draft history is spotty, but I do think he hit on Jaylen Brown last year, and I like what they're getting in Tatum. Don't really care for Butler. He could be a #3 of a Big Three, but he doesn't move the needle much for me.

They could have had Butler for the 3rd pick and Jaylen Brown, and still able to keep 6 future first round picks. That's crazy to me that Ainge didn't do this. Butler would have been a perfect fit to take down the Cavs, and still could sign Hayward.
IT
Butler
Hayward
Crowder
Horford

Small ball lineup needed against Cavs and Warriors. Looks good to me.

Tatum and Brown is too high a price for Butler, IMO. I'm perfectly fine with

Thomas
Bradley
Hayward
Crowder
Horford

With Brown, Smart, and Tatum playing meaningful minutes off the bench. Hopefully one of Brown or Tatum would take the starting job from Crowder by the end of the season. Is it good enough to beat the Cavs? Probably not, but I don't think adding Butler would have beat the Cavs either - and it definitely wouldn't have beaten the Warriors. All about building for 3 years or so down the line when LeBron is old and the Warriors need to start paying people and their stars start to get over the hill. Shame that the NBA has come to that, but that's the landscape for the other 28 teams.

Gobert is a really good player for Bradley to learn from. Feel for JJ going to Sacramento but maybe with Boogie gone and this new influx of youth maybe they can turn around the culture some? Those guys the Kings drafted are all gonna be good teammates and work hard.

Gobert is a really good player for Bradley to learn from. Feel for JJ going to Sacramento but maybe with Boogie gone and this new influx of youth maybe they can turn around the culture some? Those guys the Kings drafted are all gonna be good teammates and work hard.

Add to the fact Gobert was a low draft pick in the first round, and jazz has a good front office.

His draft history is spotty, but I do think he hit on Jaylen Brown last year, and I like what they're getting in Tatum. Don't really care for Butler. He could be a #3 of a Big Three, but he doesn't move the needle much for me.

Tatum and Brown is too high a price for Butler, IMO. I'm perfectly fine with

Thomas
Bradley
Hayward
Crowder
Horford

With Brown, Smart, and Tatum playing meaningful minutes off the bench. Hopefully one of Brown or Tatum would take the starting job from Crowder by the end of the season. Is it good enough to beat the Cavs? Probably not, but I don't think adding Butler would have beat the Cavs either - and it definitely wouldn't have beaten the Warriors. All about building for 3 years or so down the line when LeBron is old and the Warriors need to start paying people and their stars start to get over the hill. Shame that the NBA has come to that, but that's the landscape for the other 28 teams.

I wonder why you think so lowly of Butler? He is a top 15-20 player. One of the best two way players. Dont quote me on this, but I believe LeBrons worst numbers are against Butler. Perfect fit for the Celtics IMO.

I wonder why you think so lowly of Butler? He is a top 15-20 player. One of the best two way players. Dont quote me on this, but I believe LeBrons worst numbers are against Butler. Perfect fit for the Celtics IMO.

It's not that I think lowly of him, I'd say he's a top 20 player in the league. But with only two years left on his deal (I assume he won't pick up his player option), that may present a problem keeping him afterwards, which is when we'll really need him to have a chance to compete. When he becomes an FA in two years, I'd love to see the Celtics go all in to sign him.

But he'll also be 28 when the season starts compared to Brown and Tatum who will be 21 and 19 respectively. I really think due to the landscape that the Celtics can't plan on winning a championship in the next 3 years, and need to plan for after that timeframe. Three years from now Butler will be 31 and potentially gone elsewhere in FA. Brown and Tatum will still be under team control starting to enter their primes at 24 and 22.

Justin already getting disrespected by people grading draft picks. "low upside", "boring pick", C+ grade, blah blah blah. This kid is going to be able to shoot from the outside, score in the mid range, run on the break, and most importantly defend as well. Unbelievable!

Justin already getting disrespected by people grading draft picks. "low upside", "boring pick", C+ grade, blah blah blah. This kid is going to be able to shoot from the outside, score in the mid range, run on the break, and most importantly defend as well. Unbelievable!
I hate it for him going to such a crappy organization

It's not that I think lowly of him, I'd say he's a top 20 player in the league. But with only two years left on his deal (I assume he won't pick up his player option), that may present a problem keeping him afterwards, which is when we'll really need him to have a chance to compete. When he becomes an FA in two years, I'd love to see the Celtics go all in to sign him.

But he'll also be 28 when the season starts compared to Brown and Tatum who will be 21 and 19 respectively. I really think due to the landscape that the Celtics can't plan on winning a championship in the next 3 years, and need to plan for after that timeframe. Three years from now Butler will be 31 and potentially gone elsewhere in FA. Brown and Tatum will still be under team control starting to enter their primes at 24 and 22.

I see what your saying. I guess our difference of opinion is I think Cs with Butler and Hayward can take down the Cavs right now. You are saying wait until LeBron leaves the Cavs. No need to give up assets. I get it.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
And I strongly disagree as well, and it's not because he went to dook.

If Josh will surround himself with quality people who wont let him be a nucklehead, that young man has all world potential. He has a "street tough" mentality that makes Tatum look like a nun.

Not disputing that Jackson will be a star, but I think Tatum will be a 20 & 10 guy in the Association for 10 years. Not sure if that's a star, but I'll bet less than 20% of last nights lottery picks do that.

Not disputing that Jackson will be a star, but I think Tatum will be a 20 & 10 guy in the Association for 10 years. Not sure if that's a star, but I'll bet less than 20% of last nights lottery picks do that.

I don't know about the double double guy but I can see him getting the 20 ppg in boston. Especially since they need players who can score and create their own shot.

IMO Josh Jackson will have a career like MKG from Kentucky. Just my thoughts. Especially being a part of the suns. That team is going to be all Devin Booker.

Well, he can pay players legally in the NBA... so there's that...:p
His issues at Missouri were he didn't win enough. The infractions he had weren't anything terrible like say hookers. It was assistants buying meals , providing rides , and illegal contact with recruits during dead periods. 3 of the lamest NCAA violations. If you aren't gonna pay the kids why can't they get free meals or a company car? I would want to be an NBA coach over a College coach everyday of the week. I think any of us would.

I don't see Jackson or Tatum being true stars honestly. Neither of them are great shooters, spectacular creators, or premiere defenders. I could see an all-star pick for either of them, but I think their ceiling is short of "superstar level" (top 10 players or so).

Really happy that Tony's choice to declare worked out well. Looks good for him and for us. Will have made ~$3 million by the time he turns 21? As an only borderline 5 star recruit? Wow, that's overachieving. How much have Skal, Bam, Giles, Jeter, Jackson overachieved their talent level....

I think Josh Jackson will be gr8 as long as he keeps his head on straight and works his tail off. Great athlete.

Reactions: gary-7
His issues at Missouri were he didn't win enough. The infractions he had weren't anything terrible like say hookers. It was assistants buying meals , providing rides , and illegal contact with recruits during dead periods. 3 of the lamest NCAA violations. If you aren't gonna pay the kids why can't they get free meals or a company car? I would want to be an NBA coach over a College coach everyday of the week. I think any of us would.
Meh. Not that hard to not do what he did, and as I recall he was pretty blatant about it.
And I'd much rather coach in college --- where real coaching can be done.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel

Lebron doesn't avg 10rbs a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT