ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Fan here..

SotaHawk87

Freshman
Jan 3, 2015
What a great game! UNC played much better than I expected in that environment. Two things and not trying to piss and moan.. 1. I thought the officiating was one sided. Thought it was probably just myself until I saw several media people and analysts tweeting the same thing and making comments about it.. Then I saw Paige get demolished away from the ball and I almost lost it. Didnt decide the game but thought it was interesting! 2. While coughing up a late lead is tough against a rival like that Im pulling like heck for you guys.. Finish strong and whip some DOokie donkie at UNC!

Originally posted by SotaHawk87:
What a great game! UNC played much better than I expected in that environment. Two things and not trying to piss and moan.. 1. I thought the officiating was one sided. Thought it was probably just myself until I saw several media people and analysts tweeting the same thing and making comments about it.. Then I saw Paige get demolished away from the ball and I almost lost it. Didnt decide the game but thought it was interesting! 2. While coughing up a late lead is tough against a rival like that Im pulling like heck for you guys.. Finish strong and whip some DOokie donkie at UNC!
Well summarized, except the officiating kinda did decide the game in one respect. Even with our self-inflicted wounds the game should have never reached overtime.

As a Husker fball fan, this is typical Iowa fan to a T! LMFAO! Great college bball game from tip to final buzzer and a "fan" who has never experienced this level of competition will never diminish this fantastic rivaly! Fantastic plays one after another by both teams!

Gary-7, what did you think about Marcus getting fouled (okay hammered) on the last tip attempt in OT? Is there any doubt that Dook would have been shooting two free throws under the same set of circumstances?

Two No calls did effect the outcome
1. Winslow holding JP on the Jones layup to tie the game. That's 10 yards in the NFL.
2. Paige getting hammered on the rebound attempt.

Originally posted by uncfan in ky:
1. Winslow holding JP on the Jones layup to tie the game. That's 10 yards in the NFL.
Winslow holding JP to stop him from help defending was a blatant missed call. The Paige no-call didn't bother me as both players were going for the ball. Truthfully, it should have never come down to calls if UNC just makes their damn FT's.

Officiating was bad all night. I complained when we were up 10, when we were down 10, and virtually throughout the entire game. I could list off about 10-12 situations to back up but there really isn't any point to it. When we play at Cameron I don't exactly anticipate getting a ton of calls anyway.

We just gave it away, to those guys, again.

Yes, the officiating was terrible; as it always is at Duke (for all teams, not just UNC). But we gave the game away with poor execution, despite the officials.

Dook was 16 - 31 from the free throw line, Okafor 0 - 6. You're right, if free throws were made on either side, there wouldn't have been overtime.

Originally posted by 2 skerz 3:

As a Husker fball fan, this is typical Iowa fan to a T! LMFAO! Great college bball game from tip to final buzzer and a "fan" who has never experienced this level of competition will never diminish this fantastic rivaly! Fantastic plays one after another by both teams!
What exactly about my post was a "Hawkeye Fan to a T"... the fact that my observation of the game was that there were severel missed calls? Or the fact that I congratulated a team on their hard work and wished them well? I guess Im confused.. Also missed the part where I claimed anything about Iowa being in a rivalry.. And no offense sir/mam (and I don't say this to aggravate the true UNC fans on this board) but Iowa won at Chapel Hill this year so again Im curious about the "never experienced this level of competition" claim..

Originally posted by ChapelHeeled:

Gary-7, what did you think about Marcus getting fouled (okay hammered) on the last tip attempt in OT? Is there any doubt that Dook would have been shooting two free throws under the same set of circumstances?
Absolutely zero doubt, especially given the presence of one particular official.

Here's another thing that kills me about K and the refs. There was a clear lane violation by dook on a Hicks FT (that he missed). I called it out from my danged chair watching on TV as I'm sure thousands did. It wasn't like it was close or anything.
And the ref called it, as he HAD to. It is a RULE, and a violation out in the open on a dead ball you can't even pretend not to see. Yet K was bitching to high heaven.to the nearest ref. Seriously??? He has been gaming the rules so blatantly for so long he expects to get calls tailored for him.

He sure as hell has the home clock operator on his side. As another poster pointed out, he got a de facto 3 extra time-outs from those "mistakes", not to mention icing our FT shooters. That stuff is no accident. It happens every year up there.

For those who spout the nonsense of K > Roy, the only place that is true is in gaming the system, translation: cheating.

The funny thing about that lane violation, Gary .. I was watching the ESPN feed and Bilas actually complained about the ref calling it too. He said it was clear but something along the lines of "They don't necessarily have to call it." I laughed out loud.

Originally posted by bleeduncblue:
The funny thing about that lane violation, Gary .. I was watching the ESPN feed and Bilas actually complained about the ref calling it too. He said it was clear but something along the lines of "They don't necessarily have to call it." I laughed out loud.
Yah, Bilas got on my nerves more than usual and was less objective than usual last night. On that comment, and on how he was protecting / defending Oke like Bilas was Oke's mommy. I think Bilas is a very good announcer, but I just think it is nearly impossible for a guy who bled Dook blue for many years, to be objective. I just know there is no way I could be an objective announcer in a Heels game, and I never had nearly as much invested, never even went to UNC, let alone play and coach there.

On that lane step in... he stepped and landed in the lane, about a foot or two from the shooter, right in front of him. I get not calling it if some guy down on the low block has a foot hovering and touching just as the ball is released, but in the instance last night, if you let that go, where do you draw the line? Can the guy step full into the lane and get a hand in the FT shooters face?
eek.r191677.gif

THe other brutal one was Brice's late in the first half. Jefferson two hand shoved him into the path of a dook guard, and they call the foul on Brice- loomed large when Brice missed essentially the entire overtime.

Hey, aren't you all forgetting Okafor's 5-step layup?
Maybe the refs were mesmerised at how he "holds the ball like a grapefruit" and has "the grace and balance of Bareshnikov" (copywrite Bilas on that crap) But they clearly missed the shuffle of the pivot and 5 steps to take-off.

... the other general theme that drove me crazy, and put us at a huge disadvantage because Dook would drive to the rim with the ball and we wouldn't .....

.....it didn't matter how out of control any dook player was (especially Okafor and Tyus Jones) ... once they get up a head of steam, they could initiate all kinds of contact with reckless abandon, and be a bull in a china shop, and they would get the bailout foul call every single time. How do you play defense against that? I saw Meeks a couple times, with a look and saying, "what the h am I suppposed to do? I can't even just stand my ground?"

Originally posted by bleeduncblue:
Bilas exact quote was "Yeah its a foul but you can't call that.." So MR high and mighty NCAA integrity challenging do whats right.... kind of seems like a hypocrite!

Also if you DVRed it go back and listen to them after Tokotos AMAZING flush and that put back in the first half.. even the one handed alley oop he was too busy talking about Okafors pro potential than calling the game in front of him! Dicky would have been GOING NUTS but Bilas was very subdued.

Okafor is AN AMAZING talent, very very good and gifted but I don't like watching Duke because all they do is talk about his pro potential. Can we just enjoy what he is accomplishing and college and focus on that.. Most people don't give two chits what he's going to do at the next level.. this is college basketball!

Heelicious, Bleed, DeanForPresident, Oz, you guys are all making great points, and all examples of the zebra reaming we took.

Okafor walked like an Egyptian more than once, and got bailed out by the zebras on others (we were fortunate he couldn't shoot FTs), but nobody got bailed out like Jones. Berry beat him to spots and stiffed him on his drives when they were head-up and they still put him on the line. The worst were the HORRIBLE block call an a blatant charge late in the first half and then the phantom foul down the stretch that gave him a FT that essentially enabled OT.

This post was edited on 2/19 5:49 PM by gary-7

a vast majority of the fouls called on Meeks were a direct result of Okra initiating contact on his way up. Meeks hands straight up but obviously he's going to hit body when Okra jumps into him. It worked every freaking time.

We lost the game. No question about it. We had the game despite Quinn Cook going nuts.

However, there should have been fouls called at the end of the game and clock issues that shouldn't have happened.

We could have prevented it from affecting the game though.

Hope Roy took them back to Dean Dome and made them practice freethrows. THAT was where we lost this one.

Originally posted by Detroit Heel:

Originally posted by uncfan in ky:
Winslow holding JP to stop him from help defending was a blatant missed call. The Paige no-call didn't bother me as both players were going for the ball. Truthfully, it should have never come down to calls if UNC just makes their damn FT's.
^^^^^^ T H I S ^^^^^^

What the HE)) is wrong with the WHOLE TEAM not knowing how f'ing IMPORTANT "FREE"throws are???
Can anyone answer this?????????????????????????

They know! Trying to do it in that atmosphere under those conditions takes nerves of steel. We ain't there yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT