ADVERTISEMENT

How Do We Match Up with Duke this Coming Season?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
We have 4 returning starters. Duke has 1.

Despite Duke adding 9 new players (at last count), we should have more depth than Duke. The question is whether Hubert in his second year will be more comfortable going to his bench. I hope so, but that depends on players being healthy (Washington), players improving (Puff, Styles, Dunn, McKoy), and new guys being ready (Trimble, Washington, Nickel, Shaver).

Where it gets interesting is when you start thinking about head-to-head matchups. Since Duke only returns 2 scholarship players (as far as I know), it's hard to predict how Duke's frosh will match up with our guys.

Here's a rough layout. All guesswork. And obviously subject to change if we land a transfer.

Feel free to cut and paste the table to make your own changes/predictions.

Positionfor UNCfor DukeEdge to
PGRJ DavisJeremy Roach
backup PGSeth TrimbleJaylen Blakes
Tyreese Proctor
SGCaleb LoveDariq Whitehead
backup SGD'Marco Dunn
Seth Trimble
Tyreese Proctor
Jaden Schutt
SFLeaky BlackMark Mitchell
backup SFPuff Johnson
Dontrez Styles
Justin McKoy
Tyler Nickel
Kale Catchings
Jacob Grandison
Dariq Whitehead
PFPete NanceDereck Lively
backup PFJalen Washington
Puff Johnson
Dontrez Styles
Justin McKoy
Tyler Nickel
Ryan Young
CArmando BacotKyle Filipowski
backup CPete Nance
Jalen Washington
Justin McKoy
Will Shaver
Christian Reeves

Last edited:
Reactions: TPFKAPFS and Occy64
Dook returns 1 player with any experience at Dook…he is a slightly above average player at best! The rest, besides a couple of mediocre transfers are all freshmen! No Zion’s, Banchero, Tatum, Bagley on this team! Whitehead is pretty good imo and can score! Lively and the Flip dude are very thin! They will get destroyed down low! This is the youngest team ever at dook! How has being young and the 1 and done worked out for them?? The class they brought in is a huge class, in terms of ranking on paper, but I’ve read that it’s a down class at the top end! They did well with freshman last year but one thing was different! They were all physically imposing and physically ready…they also had upperclassman last year…I think they struggle mightily and finish 4th or so in the acc! Can’t wait to beat them twice next year

As far as matchups..I think we are better than them in pretty much every category! Leaky might not be as gifted offensively as Whitehead (I think he starts at the 3 for them) but Leaky is a better defender, passer, ball handler and fit to our team! He is one of our most important players! Love will torch Proctor at the 2…Davis is head and shoulders better than Cockroach! I don’t have to mention Bacot’s matchup lol and whoever we have at the 4 will be better than who they have IMO!

Despite Duke adding 9 new players (at last count), we should have more depth than Duke. The question is whether Hubert in his second year will be more comfortable going to his bench. I hope so, but that depends on players being healthy (Washington), players improving (Puff, Styles, Dunn, McKoy), and new guys being ready (Trimble, Washington, Nickel, Shaver).

Where it gets interesting is when you start thinking about head-to-head matchups. Since Duke only returns 2 scholarship players (as far as I know), it's hard to predict how Duke's frosh will match up with our guys.

Here's a rough layout. All guesswork. And obviously subject to change if we land a transfer.

PGRJ DavisJeremy Roach
Tyreese Proctor
backup SGD'Marco Dunn
Seth Trimble
Tyreese Proctor
Jaden Schutt
Kale Catchings
backup SFPuff Johnson
Dontrez Styles
Justin McKoy
Tyler Nickel
Dariq Whitehead
PF??
(portal, Puff Johnson, Jalen Washington?)
Dereck Lively
Puff Johnson
Dontrez Styles
Justin McKoy
Tyler Nickel
Ryan Young
backup CJalen Washington
Justin McKoy
Will Shaver
Christian Reeves

Flip (no pun intended) their 2 bigs. Lively is a 5, Filipowski is a 4

Reactions: tarwhiz
In my opinion IF Bacot gets hurt or in foul trouble either Flip or Lively would have a decided advantage over McCoy , Puff , Styles , Shaver or an early Washington down low . They both are better centers than any of those guys . That's why I feel we need someone that can spell Bacot from time to time for IMPORTANT minutes if needed like a Nance . Other than that we should eat them for lunch this year. We have an awesome blend of experience and youth this year . Better than we have in quite a while in my opinion but that four / five spot COULD be our problem . We got lucky last year , not sure we can count on that again. I'd rather be cocked and loaded than hoping and praying . 😎 🥁✌️

Doesn't seem like they have a Zion, Barrett or Banchero in this class. A lead player who can create his own shot at all levels.

It will be interesting. Their size is probably their best asset. But I think big guys take a longer time to develop in college. Looks like they should be a good defensive team, but defense takes time to play as a unit.

My guess with Duke is if Jeremy Roach plays at an All-Conference level, they can win it all. Probably important that they have experience at the PG position.

We'll have to see what our final roster is. I think the Manek loss is big and it all depends how he's replaced. That position needs to be a threat to score and preferably is a consistent scorer. I don't think RJ, Caleb and Bacot are great enough to play with 2 non-shooter/scorers.

Reactions: Occy64
We have a decided advantage at all positions except 4 and I think Puff will be All ACC caliber by ACC time! I fully expect the.Tar Heels to be deep,, hongry, motivated, skilled, and cohesive by ACC time! Peeps will.really hate playing us then!
I really believe that Caleb, RJ and Seth are going to bring out the very best out of each other. Practicing everyday against each other is going to keep these kids sharp and focused. It’s going to make them and the Team so much better. It will increase their overall efficiency on both sides of the ball. Seth, with his explosiveness, power and athletic ability is an exceptional and willing defender. The coaches at USA Basketball have been raving about Seth’s defense, High BB IQ and how eager he is to learn. He is very coachable and his outside shooting is becoming a lot more consistent. We will have the best back court in the country. I hope Washington can knock off the rust and play with confidence in regards to the health and healing of his knee. Jalen would be in the top 12 of his recruiting class if not for his injury. He is another player with a very High BB IQ and is a student of the game. I remember reading an article about Puff as a recruit and they were saying that his game and especially his Shot was a lot further ahead then Cam’s was at that time of their career. Coming out of high school Puff was one of the top shooters in his recruiting class. I’m really looking forward to seeing his overall progress

Iron sharpens iron and our team is 100% iron! (all the fat either left or has been worked off) There are no excuses this year either! We need to step up; continue the momentum from last season; dedicate ourselves to the normal off-season improvement; incorporate the noobs into the culture, strength/conditioning, and O&D sets; focus a little more on our games and less on our NIL; and STOP READING OUR OWN HEADLINES! If we add another or not, we have high expectations and are back to being the UNC that can say to opponents-"we're coming, be ready!" and to recruits-"we will win with you or without you, come join the party!"

Dang it is good to be the King! (again)

The UNC vs duke match ups are interesting but our experience should be a huge factor. Flipper is a good pick up for them and he is a big man that can do some damage outside the paint but not sure how much he will look to battle inside. Lively, we went after him hard so we know a good bit about him, he is a big time shot blocker when coming from the off side, straight up however his being 200lbs is him in no man's land when he has to defend Bacot. Simply put if Bacot wants to get deep in the paint Lively and his 200lbs are not going to stop him, he is going to need help, so who gets left wide open so they can double Bacot? Their better plan to defend a big center like Bacot should be the 7'1" transfer. They have length in their front court, they are limited in the beef they have.

They got 2 nice 3's in this class and both are solid scorers but the problem is they are both 3s, one is going to have to shift to play the 2, Caleb Love with a 6'8" guys guarding him out in space, yeah, let me know how that works... And we have Leaky shutting down the one that plays the 3 with both being scorers, how will they defend?

Back court wise, we have RJ, Caleb, and Trimble, which right now should be considered a top 5 at worse back court in the country today and will likely rise and challenge to be the best in the country. Yeah, our back court vs Roach basically, who do they pair him with, the high school senior or a freshman wing playing out of position? That is a real problem for duke, a front court that lacks beef and experience combined with what may be one of if not the weakest back courts in the ACC?

Simply put if Bacot wants to get deep in the paint Lively and his 200lbs are not going to stop him, he is going to need help, so who gets left wide open so they can double Bacot?
Another argument for Nance. He can help inside if needed and can hurt them from outside if they try doubling Armando.

We have other guys who may be able to do half of that, but even Puff has yet to show that he can shoot it the way we think he should be able to shoot it.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
The UNC vs duke match ups are interesting but our experience should be a huge factor. Flipper is a good pick up for them and he is a big man that can do some damage outside the paint but not sure how much he will look to battle inside. Lively, we went after him hard so we know a good bit about him, he is a big time shot blocker when coming from the off side, straight up however his being 200lbs is him in no man's land when he has to defend Bacot. Simply put if Bacot wants to get deep in the paint Lively and his 200lbs are not going to stop him, he is going to need help, so who gets left wide open so they can double Bacot? Their better plan to defend a big center like Bacot should be the 7'1" transfer. They have length in their front court, they are limited in the beef they have.

They got 2 nice 3's in this class and both are solid scorers but the problem is they are both 3s, one is going to have to shift to play the 2, Caleb Love with a 6'8" guys guarding him out in space, yeah, let me know how that works... And we have Leaky shutting down the one that plays the 3 with both being scorers, how will they defend?

Back court wise, we have RJ, Caleb, and Trimble, which right now should be considered a top 5 at worse back court in the country today and will likely rise and challenge to be the best in the country. Yeah, our back court vs Roach basically, who do they pair him with, the high school senior or a freshman wing playing out of position? That is a real problem for duke, a front court that lacks beef and experience combined with what may be one of if not the weakest back courts in the ACC?
I'm convinced. We should clobber them. They don't stand a chance.

Seriously, you make good points, but I suspect it will still be hard to beat them.

One thing that surely seems likely to change for Duke is having actual bigs. PFs and Cs actually playing PF and C. Instead of SFs forced into those roles. They actually did more of that last year than recently, but when was the last time they had 2 good bigs in their starting lineup?

I've heard that Mitchell is a stellar defender, but may be a bit weak on scoring. Sort of a higher-ranked but less experienced Leaky.

Whitehead sure looks like he should be able to defend and is definitely quick enough and a good enough scorer to give us trouble. If we get a Love-Whitehead matchup, that should be great fun to watch.

Roach came along quite well down the stretch. He's plenty good enough to make the RJ-Roach matchup very entertaining.

Before Proctor reclassed, I would have said we definitely win the backup PG and SG battles, but now they might be a toss-up. The X factors might be the returning, little-used guys Dunn and Blakes. If one of them breaks out, that could make a difference.

Even though the 2 teams have similar depth, I like ours better. Especially if we land Nance, but even if we don't. One of the reasons is that too much of Duke's depth is new to them. That's going to be a challenge for Scheyer. Will he be able to integrate them or will they go the iron man route? OTOH, if those experienced transfers can slot in early, they could have more functional depth than we usually see from a Duke squad.

Can we fast forward to the season yet?

PGRJ DavisJeremy Roach
Tyreese Proctor
backup SGD'Marco Dunn
Seth Trimble
Tyreese Proctor
Jaden Schutt
Kale Catchings
backup SFPuff Johnson
Dontrez Styles
Justin McKoy
Tyler Nickel
Dariq Whitehead
PF??
Dereck Lively
Puff Johnson
Dontrez Styles
Justin McKoy
Tyler Nickel
Ryan Young
backup CJalen Washington
Justin McKoy
Will Shaver
Christian Reeves
Are they still fielding a team at dook? After the last two matchups, I thought they might fold their tents, I hope Cryer wins just enough games to hang on for a decade and wins as many against the Heels as does Moo U!

puke sux and Face sux too!

The only thing good about their "brand" is the mayonnaise! (which coincidentally knows more bball than their fans!)

Go Tar Heels!

PGRJ DavisJeremy Roach
Tyreese Proctor
backup SGD'Marco Dunn
Seth Trimble
Tyreese Proctor
Jaden Schutt
Kale Catchings
backup SFPuff Johnson
Dontrez Styles
Justin McKoy
Tyler Nickel
Dariq Whitehead
PF??
Dereck Lively
Puff Johnson
Dontrez Styles
Justin McKoy
Tyler Nickel
Ryan Young
backup CJalen Washington
Justin McKoy
Will Shaver
Christian Reeves
WWJD does the addition of Grandison change any of your insight?

It only changes the number of new faces Face has to somehow integrate into a cohesive unit. Grandison seems to be team hopping since he started at Holy Cross, went to Ill and is now at puke. I wonder if this indicates anything other than he wasn't happy with the team or staff. It might indicate something about the young man, but we will see how he fits in the rat hole! It adds some potential for veteran leadership, but is it at a position of particular need?

I'm convinced. We should clobber them. They don't stand a chance.

Seriously, you make good points, but I suspect it will still be hard to beat them.

One thing that surely seems likely to change for Duke is having actual bigs. PFs and Cs actually playing PF and C. Instead of SFs forced into those roles. They actually did more of that last year than recently, but when was the last time they had 2 good bigs in their starting lineup?

I've heard that Mitchell is a stellar defender, but may be a bit weak on scoring. Sort of a higher-ranked but less experienced Leaky.

Whitehead sure looks like he should be able to defend and is definitely quick enough and a good enough scorer to give us trouble. If we get a Love-Whitehead matchup, that should be great fun to watch.

Roach came along quite well down the stretch. He's plenty good enough to make the RJ-Roach matchup very entertaining.

Before Proctor reclassed, I would have said we definitely win the backup PG and SG battles, but now they might be a toss-up. The X factors might be the returning, little-used guys Dunn and Blakes. If one of them breaks out, that could make a difference.

Even though the 2 teams have similar depth, I like ours better. Especially if we land Nance, but even if we don't. One of the reasons is that too much of Duke's depth is new to them. That's going to be a challenge for Scheyer. Will he be able to integrate them or will they go the iron man route? OTOH, if those experienced transfers can slot in early, they could have more functional depth than we usually see from a Duke squad.

Can we fast forward to the season yet?
Let me be crystal clear about one thing, ANYTIME UNC and duke matchup, throw out anything you think will happen that makes anyone think 1 side will dominate a game. UNC vs duke will always be a war and it will always be a great game. I do not see that changing.

Last time duke had 2 big time bigs in their starting line up? I am gonna go for last season for $500 Alex, the answer is Mark Williams and Paoblo? Before that, Bagley and Wendyl Carter.

Last time duke had 2 big time bigs in their starting line up? I am gonna go for last season for $500 Alex, the answer is Mark Williams and Paoblo? Before that, Bagley and Wendyl Carter.
Sorry, I should have phrased that better. I meant 2 good bigs with actual PFs and Cs - not SFs - in those roles.

K didn't have too many of those in the OAD era, but Scheyer is starting out with 2 real bigs.

Last edited:
It only changes the number of new faces Face has to somehow integrate into a cohesive unit. Grandison seems to be team hopping since he started at Holy Cross, went to Ill and is now at puke. I wonder if this indicates anything other than he wasn't happy with the team or staff. It might indicate something about the young man, but we will see how he fits in the rat hole! It adds some potential for veteran leadership, but is it at a position of particular need?
Not sure how well Grandison will blend in, but I do think he fits a need for them as a good shooter, and could be a good fit, especially with Keels and Baker leaving he has an opportunity to fill the shooter role for them.

I think duke has had more big time bigs than you credit but K seemed to bow to their need to play more like wings than big men. I would suggest that K and duke's success ( at least during the 1&D era) has been more due to their having big time big man talents and being able to match them with a great scorer.

He had gaudy 3 pt numbers but shot around 45% from the field so his mid-range must have been a little suspect. I hope he comes in expecting to be featured or at least wanting the permanent green light! But I think we match up well against them even with his addition!

I penciled in Grandison as the backup SF in the OP list. And moved Catchings there, too.

Grandison is shown as a SG, but he's the tallest and heaviest of the SGs so I figure he's a good candidate at SF. Obviously just guessing. He could just as easily slot in at SG.

And, who knows, with all the freshman it's likely that one or more won't be ready in their first year. So he might even have a chance to start.

If I'm a Duke fan, I'm very excited to see his 3-pt consistency. 41% each of his last 2 years. Plus he started most of last year.

Grandison filled a big need for us, with his shooting and sorely needed experience. Would still give you guys the edge, but him and Proctor help. I really wanted Keels back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archer2
Not sure how well Grandison will blend in, but I do think he fits a need for them as a good shooter, and could be a good fit, especially with Keels and Baker leaving he has an opportunity to fill the shooter role for them.
Grandison is a good player, but his playing means Mitchell or Whitehead or both sit. I personally don't think Whitehead will be all that special trying to play College 2. I think he and Mitchell are both College 3's and their lack of ball handing a perimeter shooting will be significant in year 1. Or as I like to say Year only for Whitehead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT