ADVERTISEMENT

Key Stats - dook game

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
*I'll start right here - a reason Adam Lucas called this one a "punch in the gut":
UNC 20 FTA 26 Fouls called against
dook 31 FTA 19 Fouls called against

(with 64 of our 80 Pts in the PAINT, only 19 team fouls called? Seriously?)

*Cook getting too many open looks: 5-7 from 3. Ouch.

*As for our team stats, this game was a demonstration of everything I've been hammering all season (more on that later).
Here ya go:
Guard combos, in order of appearance:
(including overtime)
Paige alone (12:00) 2.08 PPM (3 TO)
Berry/Paige (9:29) 2.33 PPM (0 TO)
Berry/Britt (10:37) 2.00 PPM (5 TO)
Britt/Paige (9:37) 1.55 PPM (1 TO)
All Three (3:17) 2.12 PPM (2 TO)

*These numbers understate (one day I'm going back and tracking the stats on this) the glaring fact that Britt and Tokoto have one big trait in common: Both are much better off the ball. In the above combos, whenever Nate was the primary ball-handler, things went south... badly. The offense flat-out stalled. However, he did some very nice stuff in transition and off the catch. JP was sensational in transition, off the catch and on the offensive glass. When he assumed the main ball-handling role? Except for a couple of set plays, again everything stalled.

*Before I forget, big kudos to big Joel James. Best game of his career by a mile.

*Roy had a good game plan on both ends, and except for some mental breakdowns the guys executed it well. He had K out of time-outs with well over a minute to go. He also drew up a beautiful miss-on-purpose play on the last FT. Marcus got hammered and should have been at the line to send it to another OT.

*On the bad side (sigh)... Roy, Why the heck was Britt given primary ball-handling responsibility in crunch time?... and why the heck didn't the Berry/Paige combo see the floor in OT?

*On 4 occasions we had defensive rebounds that we lost by 2 of our own guys fighting over them. Love the effort, but those hurt and cost us at least 4 points. Bad breaks.

*You may or may not have noticed, on the dook lay-up that put the game in overtime, the screener literally grabbed JP around the waist in front of God and everybody to allow the drive. No call. Joel Berry got flattened on 3 occasions on drives. No calls. Of course on the other end, Jones got a bogus call on Berry (there was air between them) on a key drive and thus a FT that ultimately enabled OT. Speaking of which, Marcus shouldn't be so hard on himself. He was constantly being held around the waist (often right in front of a ref) when he was off the ball. You guessed it: No calls.

*Yep, this one was a gut-punch. The good news is we saw the potential this team has to be elite.... provided we've figured out some of the stuff concerning our own best roles and personnel usage that shouted out so loudly tonight...

Tremendous post. It was a tough to watch the heels down the stretch. They felt the pressure as exemplified by Britt missing from end of 1 and 1. I love Brits confidence but he just cannot shoot. It's a shame the heels have no one that can make a jumper consistently. I include Paige in that mix. He shoots less than 40% which is not good when you are known as a shooter. Not blaming but it's tough to overcome two starters shooting 3/19

I thought Berry played pretty well last night for his first game at dOOk . . he hit a much needed 3 from the corner immediately after Tyus Jones drilled one at the other end and cut our lead to 5. Berry comes down and nails that 3 to put us back up 8 . .

JB with 5 assists and only 1 TO . .

James was indeed a pleasant surprise last evening. Way to go big fella . . !

Originally posted by BillyL:
I thought Berry played pretty well last night for his first game at dOOk . . he hit a much needed 3 from the corner immediately after Tyus Jones drilled one at the other end and cut our lead to 5. Berry comes down and nails that 3 to put us back up 8 . .

JB with 5 assists and only 1 TO . .

James was indeed a pleasant surprise last evening. Way to go big fella . . ![/B]
Should have played more in the 2nd half, and a minute or 2 in OT.

He's had a few good first halves this year, only to watch from the bench in the 2nd. [/B]
question.r191677.gif

My takes

I thought we rebounded the best last night we have all year - the only time they got offensive boards was when our guys were going after the ball and it got away. Also a couple of long boards.JP played his best game of the year. Still had a few head scratching shots where I wished he would have drove to the basket... When this kid realizes how good he is he will be very goodTHE BIG MEN - All played great last night wish we would have kept going down low in overtime.The clock - in the last 7 minutes we had to wait several minutes for the clock to be fixed which gave Rat 3 more timeouts.Our guards - need to do a better job spacing the floor. Last play of regulation - I am really tired of us going to Paige for a 3 to win it at the end of the game. We have more weapons this year please use them.Refs - overall I liked the way this game was called - of course there were a few calls - (Brice Johnson illegal screen when he was pushed into the Duke player, JP getting grabbed on the Duke layup at the end of the game, Paige getting held all game) but the refs let them play tonight ESP the big guys. Loved seeing Meeks and Okafor banging down low.

Man I cannot wait until Round 2

Originally posted by ROYANDDEAN:

My takes
JP played his best game of the year. Still had a few head scratching shots where I wished he would have drove to the basket... When this kid realizes how good he is he will be very good
Bingo. At the next-to-last possession of OT he should have taken that ball to the rack and flushed it instead of that awkward jump shot (and Hicks could have done the same before he passed to JP). Period. Nobody this side of a young Vince Carter can jump like Air Pierre.

Originally posted by ROYANDDEAN:

My takes

THE BIG MEN - All played great last night wish we would have kept going down low in overtime.
The clock - in the last 7 minutes we had to wait several minutes for the clock to be fixed which gave Rat 3 more timeouts.
Our guards - need to do a better job spacing the floor.
Spot on, on all 3 points. As for the spacing that is where Nate handling the ball just kills our flow. When Berry ran Point we got post entries at will and flat wore the dookies out inside. For whatever inexplicable reason Roy let Nate handle in crunch time and much of OT and it was fatal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT