ADVERTISEMENT

My first call for a possible Fedora replacement goes to...

That requires a coach who can make adjustments.
Fed's days are over, so I ask this w regard to anyone coaching this personnel:

What adjustments would you make when your CB's are limited in their instincts, two of your three lbs with any size are still figuring things out and your DL isn't very big?

And what adjustments do you make in 2017 when your OL goes from unacquainted to wrecked w injuries and your wr are all new?

And what adjustments do you do this yr when your QB can't throw far or fast? We are one dimensional without a better QB. Pitt we saw a little wildcat, for Miami we saw a little wildcat, some diamond and double pulls that were very effective against miami's base. But how do you change when your personnel makes you one-dimensional?

What adjustments would you make when your CB's are limited in their instincts, two of your three lbs with any size are still figuring things out and your DL isn't very big?

And what adjustments do you make in 2017 when your OL goes from unacquainted to wrecked w injuries and your wr are all new?

And what adjustments do you do this yr when your QB can't throw far or fast? We are one dimensional without a better QB? For Pitt we saw a little wildcat, for Miami we saw a little wildcat, some diamond and double pulls that were very effective against miami's base. But how do you change when your personnel makes you one-dimensional?
Recruit better personnel.

And what adjustments do you do this yr when your QB can't throw far or fast? We are one dimensional without a better QB. Pitt we saw a little wildcat, for Miami we saw a little wildcat, some diamond and double pulls that were very effective against miami's base. But how do you change when your personnel makes you one-dimensional?
I think your final question is the most important in terms of assessing what has happened and the difficulty in making meaningful corrections. Fedora is a coach who still assumes that it is all about a magic QB in his system. I think that best explains his continued obsession with Sam Howell, taking the helicopter to a game to impress the kid.

Will signing Howell correct or even improve all the problems we see across the board? No, but it might mean that either Fortin or Ruder leaves by Spring - perhaps even both will transfer.

I agree woadblue. I imagine they both feel they can do as well as NE or CS has done this season. And now they're sitting there watching Fed recruit the QB of the future. With our luck we will not get Howell and both will decide to transfer. That's why I say put CS on a short leash. If not significant progress in 2 games (significant) then start playing the freshmen. Find out what we have. I understand our chances of winning this season may go down with that strategy but we're headed in that direction anyway.

Reactions: Archer2
I think your final question is the most important in terms of assessing what has happened and the difficulty in making meaningful corrections. Fedora is a coach who still assumes that it is all about a magic QB in his system. I think that best explains his continued obsession with Sam Howell, taking the helicopter to a game to impress the kid.

Will signing Howell correct or even improve all the problems we see across the board? No, but it might mean that either Fortin or Ruder leaves by Spring - perhaps even both will transfer.

And Howell would come because Fedora has shown that he is willing to play younger quarterbacks with more talent?

Recruit better personnel.

That's a non-answer since the question is about gameday or scheme adjustments not recruiting adjustments. Maybe the question wasn't clear, but Woad wasn't referring to recruiting, so neither was i.

I think your final question is the most important in terms of assessing what has happened and the difficulty in making meaningful corrections. Fedora is a coach who still assumes that it is all about a magic QB in his system.

1. This is a non-answer. I'm asking what coaching adjustment do you make given what you have player-wise?

2. You cannot win without a QB unless you rebuild your scheme from the ground up Monken/Jonhson style. Even GT's play varies yr to yr depending on how good their "qb" is and it took a yr before his team could execute that scheme. And that's a one-way street... easier to build a triple-option team than a passing team, it would be an even bigger rebuild for Monken or PJ to create a passing offense.

That's a non-answer since the question is about gameday or scheme adjustments not recruiting adjustments. Maybe the question wasn't clear, but Woad wasn't referring to recruiting, so neither was i.

1. This is a non-answer. I'm asking what coaching adjustment do you make given what you have player-wise?

2. You cannot win without a QB unless you rebuild your scheme from the ground up Monken/Jonhson style. Even GT's play varies yr to yr depending on how good their "qb" is and it took a yr before his team could execute that scheme. And that's a one-way street... easier to build a triple-option team than a passing team, it would be an even bigger rebuild for Monken or PJ to create a passing offense.
You as a coach are limited by the players you signed and the ways you have developed those players. Your successor has the same limitations, perhaps until he has signed at least one full class that is his and has had 2 Springs to re-develop players.

That is essential to accept, because it means that there is no quick solution once a staff gets off track either in recruiting or in developing players. The understanding of that is, I think, the foundation of the stubbornness of coaches like Fedora to make even small adjustments: they know that their players make the mistakes they make, are limited as they are limited, precisely because they were signed and trained to be what they are - except with more success. So a Fedora assumes that if only he can sign the magic QB for his vision of offense, it will be great.

Those who find the dream vision of a coach appealing, who want him or it to succeed, will tend to dismiss the overall failings of the program as something that coach can fix easily with 1 signing. The rest of the fans focus on the overall failings and assume that a change must be made precisely because there is no tinkering that can be done to effect much improvement from the players on hand who have been developed as they have been. For those players to do things differently with more than a bare minimum of extra success, they must be coached differently - not just a different play caller on offense, but different coaching from the end of a season to arrange for a new season that will not be like the last.

Other than giving the rookie QB's an opportunity to show what they can do, it's hard to say what adjustments could be made. Fed has recruited guys to fit his preferred style of play. Some of them may not even be suited for another style of play, ergo why you generally have to let a new coach get his players in the fold before you can fairly assess his progress.

But I'll tell you one area where you can judge early progress, an area that has continued to worsen under Fed, and that is discipline. UNC has been the most penalized team in the conference since Fed arrived, to the tune of twice the penalty yards as our opponents. We commit personal foul penalties at the worst possible moment, many times prolonging an opponents drive that would have been stopped, or killing a drive of our own when we had made first down yardage. IOW, inexcusable, bone-headed mistakes.

Then our guys get caught selling shoes, an obvious NCAA violation. So they either didn't know it was a violation or they didn't give a damn about their fellow players or the staff and did it despite knowing it was a violation. Either way, it demonstrates a clear lack of discipline on the players' parts. And that is a direct reflection on the coaching staff in general, and the HC in particular.

You as a coach are limited by the players you signed and the ways you have developed those players. Your successor has the same limitations, perhaps until he has signed at least one full class that is his and has had 2 Springs to re-develop players.

That is essential to accept, because it means that there is no quick solution once a staff gets off track either in recruiting or in developing players. The understanding of that is, I think, the foundation of the stubbornness of coaches like Fedora to make even small adjustments: they know that their players make the mistakes they make, are limited as they are limited, precisely because they were signed and trained to be what they are - except with more success. So a Fedora assumes that if only he can sign the magic QB for his vision of offense, it will be great.

Those who find the dream vision of a coach appealing, who want him or it to succeed, will tend to dismiss the overall failings of the program as something that coach can fix easily with 1 signing. The rest of the fans focus on the overall failings and assume that a change must be made precisely because there is no tinkering that can be done to effect much improvement from the players on hand who have been developed as they have been. For those players to do things differently with more than a bare minimum of extra success, they must be coached differently - not just a different play caller on offense, but different coaching from the end of a season to arrange for a new season that will not be like the last.

You said:
"That requires a coach who can make adjustments."
I asked:
"What adjustments?"

Your response above basically says "player development is the problem". That's fine, but 'coaching adjustments' sounded more like scheme or gameday, not player development which an entirely different ball of wax.

Defense player dev seems like a prob. It could also be luck of the draw with recruits (not all 3* wind up playing like 4* and it is hard to know how kids will grow) though...

Offensively though, with just a slightly better QB, this offense is fine. I'm not asking for a magical QB either. Combined our QBs are bottom ten nationally passer rating. In other words, we'd be better with almost any other QB room in america. Some of that could be Fed/Heck's fault, but Fed's offenses have had decent QBs his prior 20+ years. Bryn Renner wasn't recruited by Fed, was mostly developed by Butch & Withers our offense was great with him.

Last edited:

You make the adjustments to plays and formations that work and continue running plays from those formations until they are stopped.

I remember watch Stanford play a couple of years ago and they ran the same 2 to 3 plays over and over and over. The D knew what was coming but they couldn't stop it. So, why in the hell would you stop using the diamond formation when it works and you call a play that has very little success.

Fedora has a stable of RBs and has yet to use them properly. Line the Big Uglies up and play smash mouth football until they bring 7 or 8 to the box. Then fit them with play action and seam routes until they empty the box. Then smash them some more. The only game where we didn't gash the D was the opener against Cal. And even then, we didn't probe the inside run game as much and kept trying to attack the edge when Cal's D clearly showed they were up for the task. The LBs were fast enough to get to the edge and kill the play.

Run that stable of RBs and enough of the WR screens that go for either a lose or 1 yard.

play smash mouth football until they bring 7 or 8 to the box. Then fit them with play action and seam routes until they empty the box.
Isn't this what we attempted on the first two drives til Miami adjusted their base and backside plays? Accept that our QBs aren't good enough to complete simple routes under play-action?

Play-action or not, WR were open and QBs had time, the QB just threw bad balls.

If you are one-dimensional, any decent D will stop you. If you have no QB, unless you are triple-option, then you are one-dimensional.

Last edited:
Isn't this what we attempted on the first two drives til Miami adjusted their base and backside plays? Accept that our QBs aren't good enough to complete simple routes under play-action?

If you are one-dimensional, any decent D will stop you. If you have no QB, unless you are triple-option, then you are one-dimensional.

Call Monken.

Just want to clarify something. Are you trying to make a case to keep Fed? Your last few posts seem to indicate you don't blame him for the current state of the program.

I would be overjoyed if Scott Satterfield was our head football coach next year.
As would I. He is a young coach and is from this state, a guy that might just turn our lethargic program around and then actually want to stay at UNC. Such is my dream.

I'll say this. After watching his team stand toe to toe with a far more talented PSU at PSU, I have to say it was one of the more impressive coaching jobs I've ever seen. ASU rushed for 159 yards, passed for 292 yards, with 9 different receivers catching passes. They passed 39 times and rushed 37 times. That's the kind of well balanced, well executed offense I would love to see at UNC.

In the end, ASU threw an interception in the end zone while trying to tie the game in overtime. It was their only TO and it was the difference in the game. But they demonstrated great discipline against a far more talented team in one of the more hostile environments you'll ever play in.

Great stuff.

As would I. He is a young coach and is from this state, a guy that might just turn our lethargic program around and then actually want to stay at UNC. Such is my dream.

I'll say this. After watching his team stand toe to toe with a far more talented PSU at PSU, I have to say it was one of the more impressive coaching jobs I've ever seen. ASU rushed for 159 yards, passed for 292 yards, with 9 different receivers catching passes. They passed 39 times and rushed 37 times. That's the kind of well balanced, well executed offense I would love to see at UNC.

In the end, ASU threw an interception in the end zone while trying to tie the game in overtime. It was their only TO and it was the difference in the game. But they demonstrated great discipline against a far more talented team in one of the more hostile environments you'll ever play in.

Great stuff.
Yeah, they played without fear in Happy Valley, and went toe-to-toe with the Lions. I'm impressed with the guy overall as well; just not sure if he wouldn't need to step up one more notch and prove himself before coming to a P5 school. But hey, Mack coached at App for a year himself, so that could be a good sign.

Yeah, they played without fear in Happy Valley, and went toe-to-toe with the Lions. I'm impressed with the guy overall as well; just not sure if he wouldn't need to step up one more notch and prove himself before coming to a P5 school. But hey, Mack coached at App for a year himself, so that could be a good sign.
He had stops after app st though. He didn't come directly from there. He was also a coordinator and position coach at multiple P5 schools. Satterfield has none of that.

That doesn’t bother me one bit. Our program has nowhere to go but up. We’re at rock bottom. We’ll regret not pouncing if he’s hired by someone else. Which is probably what will happen because we wouldn’t know a great young coach if he was right in our backyard. Oh wait...

BTW, they’re on ESPN2 if you want to watch a real coach coach.

Last edited:
Just want to clarify something. Are you trying to make a case to keep Fed? Your last few posts seem to indicate you don't blame him for the current state of the program.
No case to keep, I'm only talking about our offense and i'm probably defending his offense.

Penalties, DL/LB recruiting and dev have all really sucked, and that stuff combined with some offensive inconsistencies is why Fed has lost winnable games, lost ugly blowouts and lost the fanbase, thus needs to go.

The offense absolutely should've been better against ECU. Missing Carter, Antonio Williams, and McCargo shouldn't have been enough to tank the O. Bad coaching job. But a QB would've helped.

Generally I blame our QB situation for the state of the offense, that falls on Fed, but partly is bad luck situation since QB evaluation isn't easy, and suspensions have mucked with a third of the season for one of the qb options.

That doesn’t bother me one bit. Our program has nowhere to go but up. We’re at rock bottom. We’ll regret not pouncing if he’s hired by someone else. Which is probably what will happen because we wouldn’t know a great young coach if he was right in our backyard. Oh wait...

BTW, they’re on ESPN2 if you want to watch a real coach coach.
I know it doesn't bother you. You brought up his name. Because we are at rock bottom we need to try to limit the risk. Hiring someone with zero experience at a P5 school is maximum risk. He may turn out to be the next Saban and we will regret not hiring him or he may turn out to be the next Fed and we'll be thankful we didn't. I'm hoping that Bubba will get a search committee together that includes people like Stoops and Brown. Their insight would be great to have. And who knows, Mack might help sell the school. We know he still likes unc.

No offense to Mack but like me, he’s an old fart. He’s 67. Could he coach 6-7 more years, long enough to turn our program around? Possibly.

There has been considerable discussion lately about Roy’s eventual replacement. Many, myself included, think Hubert will be his successor. Many have expressed reservations about his lack of HC experience. That is fully understandable, given that we have a top 5 basketball program. However, our football program may be the worst in our league, a league which isn’t a particularly great football league to begin with.

So why not roll the dice with an up and coming coach like Satterfield? What do we have to lose? IMO, little to nothing. That’s all I’m saying.

My concern with Satterfield isn’t so much P5 experience, it’s recruiting prowess. We need someone that can immediately sign a top-20 class, then do it again for several years in a row. If we can’t get someone who can do that, then I’m fine with him being the fall back option.

My concern with Satterfield isn’t so much P5 experience, it’s recruiting prowess. We need someone that can immediately sign a top-20 class, then do it again for several years in a row. If we can’t get someone who can do that, then I’m fine with him being the fall back option.
I was considering recruiting part of the P5 experience. He would need some top position coaches and coordinators to come in and show him the ropes. Not many top coaches want to come to schools that are in the condition we are in. Combine that with them having to teach him the ropes and it's going to be even harder.

He just doesn't need to be our first call. If our best couple of options say no, then I can accept him as a fall back as long as he doesn't have a long contract and/or he has a reasonable buyout.

Reactions: uncboy10
Part of me really like Satterfield but I also have big concerns about the P5 experience. In my mind that's been Fed's biggest issue (and he had some P5 assistant experience). I know App St has played some big time programs really well but it's easier to get up for a big game like that than it is to get up for every game (and the bigger team probably overlooks them a little as well). If he's willing to bring in a really good, seasoned OC/DC with P5 experience (from a P5 school that has actually done well), and that OC/DC is willing to be a mentor type, and he's open to listening to that OC/DC, then I think it's workable. Chizik was a good example but that option doesn't come along very often. Fed should have leaned on Chizik more.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Satterfield was running shotgun in the redzone on the 4 yard line. Just a heads-up to the people who freak out when we don't go under center.

Reactions: tarheel0910

Mack came to Carolina after coaching Tulane to a 6-5 record
He had stops after app st though. He didn't come directly from there. He was also a coordinator and position coach at multiple P5 schools. Satterfield has none of that.

I thought Head Coach outranked coordinator, but if it makes you feel more comfortable Satterfield was the OC at FIU before coming back to ASU.

I thought Head Coach outranked coordinator, but if it makes you feel more comfortable Satterfield was the OC at FIU before coming back to ASU.
As you mentioned Mack was a head coach too. And no, OC for a non P5 school doesn't make me feel better. I already know his resume and it's not first call worthy.

Let me guys ask you a question. If I presented three coaches with the resumes below, would you take coach A, coach B or coach C as your first choice and which one as your second choice? Be honest and don't cheat by looking up who the resume belongs to.

Coach A
11 years position coach
3 years non P5 coordinator
3 years P5 coordinator
4 years head coach (34-19 record, record per year matched or exceeded previous year, 2-2 in bowl games)

Coach B
7 years position coach
5 years P5 coordinator
6 years head coach (49-27 record, 1-2 in bowl games)

Coach C
12 years position coach
6 years head coach (45-23 record 3-0 in bowl games)

Let me guys ask you a question. If I presented three coaches with the resumes below, would you take coach A, coach B or coach C as your first choice and which one as your second choice? Be honest and don't cheat by looking up who the resume belongs to.

Coach A
11 years position coach
3 years P5 coordinator
4 years head coach (34-19 record, record per year matched or exceeded previous year, 2-2 in bowl games)

Coach B
7 years position coach
5 years P5 coordinator

Coach C
12 years position coach
Are any of the HC years for any of these coaches at a P5 school? Are any of the HC years for any of these coaches at a 1AA/FCS school?

Are any of the HC years for any of these coaches at a P5 school? Are any of the HC years for any of these coaches at a 1AA/FCS school?
Both, but I didn't want to show that breakdown because it would be a dead giveaway of who two of the coaches are.

Won't leave UK unless for definitely bigger money.
Probably, but I was just wondering if anyone thought he would be a good hire. I'm not 100% sure, but he has a decent resume. I don't know anything about his recruiting though and I'm not sure the fan base would be excited about him. Just wanted to throw a new name out there since everyone seems to be talking about the same four people being good candidates.

We need someone who can recruit at clemson’s level. I get that is an almost impossibly high bar, but that’s what it takes. The standard needs to be competing for playoff appearances and winning ACC titles.

Whoever it is, us fans need to take it on ourselves to revolutionize the game day experience in Kenan. It needs to be loud. It needs to be exciting. That can’t just be a byproduct of success, it’s a necessary part of the recipe. A little social hacking is all it takes. A handful of people standing up and making noise can start a huge chain reaction. But that requires people who don’t give a damn about getting side eyed by the wine and cheese crowd that want to sit on their ass and golf clap their way through the game. Bring back Danny green every saturday and play jump around if that’s what it takes lol

Probably, but I was just wondering if anyone thought he would be a good hire. I'm not 100% sure, but he has a decent resume. I don't know anything about his recruiting though and I'm not sure the fan base would be excited about him. Just wanted to throw a new name out there since everyone seems to be talking about the same four people being good candidates.
By UK standards, he has recruited very well. I think he will be happy staying in Lexington until he gets an offer from a major football power.

Coach A
11 years position coach
3 years P5 coordinator

Coach B
7 years position coach
5 years P5 coordinator

Coach C
12 years position coach
A, I guess?
So who are they?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT