ADVERTISEMENT

N&O blames dook

Over/under 3.5 hours before NCAA makes the official announcement on cancellation of NCAA tournament. I hate Duke, but I like this move.

I don't usually defend Duke on a UNC board (being in enemy territory) but I think this is the smart move for all involved. It's probably best we put the rivalry aside for a short period to focus on the safety & well being of people's lives.

I hate everything Duke and you know that Coach. But this move by Duke is the exception.

I agree Coach and thanks for dropping in. I'm speaking for myself only. Not the board.

I know you agree that I am one of the most hated UNC posters on this site by Duke fans. Who does Duke fans hate worse than me? Gary? I have to be a strong second at worse.

I think Duke did a good thing here and if UNC fans want to beat me up for saying it I can take the heat.

Duke has a good team this year, but I have always felt that you would not win the title this year. You had 3 teams that were better IMO (Kyrie, Tatum and Zion teams).

Last edited:
imagine the pressure if this was the NCAA football season/playoffs!..and that day is coming because the virus ain't going away...sports is a business and sports is a game, however, life - everyday life was before sports and will be if sports ceased...If Dean Smith was alive and made a phone call-he would be applauded...this virus kills..basketball can wait til another year..beware of greed(especially your own)

Even if I thought it was a good idea and I agreed with the pressure applied by duke, I’d never publicly state it.

So for me, this is just something else I’ll twist to make duke look bad when debating duke fans in the future.

Even if I thought it was a good idea and I agreed with the pressure applied by duke, I’d never publicly state it.

So for me, this is just something else I’ll twist to make duke look bad when debating duke fans in the future.
Beard, you just publicly said it. Delete your post my friend..;)

Gotta happen...as the pandemic spreads, our health care systems and workers will not be equipped to handle the influx of new patients. The only solution is to stop the viral transmission by preventing human interactions that involve hundreds and thousands. No one is happy about it, but imagine if death tolls climb and climb and citizens begin to panic.

OK, so to play devil's NON-advocate... Just a thought, w3hat if a team like duke, that isn't one of their more powerful teams to begin with but what if a key player or 2 that are looking at entering the next NBA draft decided they as individuals were not willing to play any further for duke? What if Carey and Trey jones said, I am done, not playing any more games because I am not going to risk it. Would that not make duke's decision to cancel much easier?

Just some perspective:

Disease deaths per day worldwide:

COVID-19—56
Seasonal Flu—1,027
Pneumonia—2,216
Tuberculosis—3,014

Media mentions of Tuberculosis: 2.9 million

Media mentions of China Virus: 1.1 BILLION

I hate everything Duke and you know that Coach. But this move by Duke is the exception.

I agree Coach and thanks for dropping in. I'm speaking for myself only. Not the board.

I know you agree that I am one of the most hated UNC posters on this site by Duke fans. Who does Duke fans hate worse than me? Gary? I have to be a strong second at worse.

I think Duke did a good thing here and if UNC fans want to beat me up for saying it I can take the heat.

Duke has a good team this year, but I have always felt that you would not win the title this year. You had 3 teams that were better IMO (Kyrie, Tatum and Zion teams).

@Steat You aren't even in my top 5 of "most hated on this site." LOL

Hopefully, nobody clicked on the link. I think puke did good thing here, but I fully believe both cancellations would have happened regardless. The Mews & Disturber does not have to worry about the virus shutting them down because less than 10 peeps actually read that rag!

Reactions: Deezheelz
OK, so to play devil's NON-advocate... Just a thought, w3hat if a team like duke, that isn't one of their more powerful teams to begin with but what if a key player or 2 that are looking at entering the next NBA draft decided they as individuals were not willing to play any further for duke? What if Carey and Trey jones said, I am done, not playing any more games because I am not going to risk it. Would that not make duke's decision to cancel much easier?
Not willing to play any further because of the virus or just done with college basketball? The virus would be a possibility, the other not so much.

I'm insulted Coach..;).. I don't think most Duke fans see it that way. I'm losing my touch.. lol.
You are losing your touch. I rather like you!

I disagree with cancelling the ACC and NCAA tournaments, along with numerous closures around the country. I certainly understand the caution. But there were different ways to handle this whole thing. One of them being cordoning off the elderly and high-risk individuals, while allowing businesses to continue to operate (and granting special shopping/visiting hours for the high risk). The tournaments could have been played with no fans. The economy doesn't have to crumble.

In the end, though, I hope everyone takes advantage of this time. I own a business, and I am currently the only one at the office. And even I am working at 25% speed. Clear your heads. Read the Good Book. Appreciate all that we have been blessed with in this country and be thankful we are not living under a communist regime which tracks our every movement and body temperatures.

Godspeed!

You are losing your touch. I rather like you!

I disagree with cancelling the ACC and NCAA tournaments, along with numerous closures around the country. I certainly understand the caution. But there were different ways to handle this whole thing. One of them being cordoning off the elderly and high-risk individuals, while allowing businesses to continue to operate (and granting special shopping/visiting hours for the high risk). The tournaments could have been played with no fans. The economy doesn't have to crumble.

In the end, though, I hope everyone takes advantage of this time. I own a business, and I am currently the only one at the office. And even I am working at 25% speed. Clear your heads. Read the Good Book. Appreciate all that we have been blessed with in this country and be thankful we are not living under a communist regime which tracks our every movement and body temperatures.

Godspeed!

Everyone has an opinion on whether or not the ACC and NCAA tournaments should have been cancelled. I'm not going to go there.

There may not be a college basketball season next year. I hope that is not the case.

Before long, if not already, I think everybody will be touched with Covid-19 in some way. I have 3 daughters that are RNs on the frontline. Covid-19 is serious folks.

The attached link to an article that brings it home.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/nyregion/new-jersey-family-coronavirus.html

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT