ADVERTISEMENT

Nassir Liitle's recruitment

It is easy to hide when no one is looking for it but when folks are looking it is easy to see. Kid commits to a school and all the sudden mom & dad move in to a nice new home or buy a sweet ride when they were living in poverty before. Truth is, you would be amazed at doing nothing more than sitting in a parking lot where athletes park their cars and just see what they drive.

Go to any big time AAU or EYBL event, you would be amazed what you could over hear, people talking in public, it does not take a super sleuth, it just takes keeping your eyes and ears open and actually looking to see what you can find out.

It is like the academic scandal that has hit us, don't ya wonder why some curious reporter or the NCAA itself does not look in to programs that athletes cluster to, that are at EVERY NCAA D-1 program? I mean really, if what happened with us was so bad then why not investigate the clusters of athletes in classes around the country, I mean hell, they would not have even looked at ours had we not self reported it first. People want to know but really they don't want to know, that is the truth of it.

To this very day we still have UNC fans that lament the fact that UNC fired Butch Davis, even after all that has transpired, even knowing how long this has been going on and effecting every aspect of our sports as well as the image of the school itself. It was his players and got the NCAA in to our house and once in all bets are off. Fans care more about winning than anything else, that is the reality of it, Ky fans hated Kal when he coached at Memphis even more than we do today, accused him of cheating even more than we do today and yet today Kal could run for governor and win, he is worshiped in that state and they don't care if he cheats as long as he wins and does not get caught. It is that old SEC saying, if ya ain't cheatin ya ain't tryin.

One of the best post I've seen on this site.
Well said dsouth

It is easy to hide when no one is looking for it but when folks are looking it is easy to see. Kid commits to a school and all the sudden mom & dad move in to a nice new home or buy a sweet ride when they were living in poverty before. Truth is, you would be amazed at doing nothing more than sitting in a parking lot where athletes park their cars and just see what they drive.

You can even just go to their Instagram

You can even just go to their Instagram
True that we had a football recruit Ronnie Harrison and he was as solid as solid gets... Alabama offers he commits the next day on Twitter is a pic of him with his new car a crimson red camero... Then he gets all in his feeling when people are like so was that what it took for bama to get you... He says his mama bought the car and stop hating on him... His mom who worked two jobs just to make ends meet bought him a car... Hmmmmmm I know it's not basketball but it is the same situation

True that we had a football recruit Ronnie Harrison and he was as solid as solid gets... Alabama offers he commits the next day on Twitter is a pic of him with his new car a crimson red camero... Then he gets all in his feeling when people are like so was that what it took for bama to get you... He says his mama bought the car and stop hating on him... His mom who worked two jobs just to make ends meet bought him a car... Hmmmmmm I know it's not basketball but it is the same situation
But, but... wait. I was told (on here of all places) that I was just making stuff up about the Crimson Turds and their $$$ network.
:rolleyes::cool:

So after a few days, we learn that Nassir Little and his Mom & Dad and his AAU coach (team The Family) all say no $$ exchanged.
The Federal Complaint seems to outline $$ was about to be offered from Arizona to recruit but never was...so those that say wait til the dust settles are correct.

Go to Vanderbilt from Kentucky IG. He be sporting a very nice rolex.

But, but... wait. I was told (on here of all places) that I was just making stuff up about the Crimson Turds and their $$$ network.
:rolleyes::cool:
I don't think anyone ever said they weren't dirty. I think the general consensus was that Auburn was as well. Maybe not to the same extent, but they weren't squeaky clean.

So after a few days, we learn that Nassir Little and his Mom & Dad and his AAU coach (team The Family) all say no $$ exchanged.
The Federal Complaint seems to outline $$ was about to be offered from Arizona to recruit but never was...so those that say wait til the dust settles are correct.
*sigh* The federal wiretaps and complaint say that he is the one who set the price. Unless the justice department has adjusted their complaint or you have an inside source I'm not sure how you can say that he is clean.

So youre ok with still recruting a player who was about to be offered money to play at Arizona ? And who had pretty clearly made up his mind thats where he was going? Im not sure why "waiting for the dust to settle" is even necessary in this case.

I don't think anyone ever said they weren't dirty. I think the general consensus was that Auburn was as well. Maybe not to the same extent, but they weren't squeaky clean.
Yeah they did but even I never said Auburn is squeaky clean. It is after all the SEC.

Just doing research and reading other sources, tarheel0910.

bax, re-read my post, not at all what I said. Waiting for the dust to settle is about, let it play out, withhold judgment until ALL the facts are in...it took 2.5 years to get this investigation to a federal filing.

How can Miami and Arizona be in a bidding war when you are saying he wasn't being offered money yet. Do you think Adidas and Nike internally bid without the knowledge of the player or something? Lol

Here is how it really works. Nassir says I want 100k. Company A says okay. Then he says well Company A is offerring me this much to go here. So Company B goes well how about 150k. Then Nassir says... hey Company B is offering me 150k so I am probably not going to your school.

Then Company A scrambles to try and match the offer the other Company gave. Which is what is on tape.

Granted the Nassir in this scenario is likely a handler negotiating in Nassirs name for him.

Please recall 3 complaints were filed.

Payments were discussed for other players’ families as well, the complaint says, including one who had not yet begun his junior year of high school and another who was to receive $150,000 to enroll at a college whose description matches the University of Miami, another Adidas-sponsored college.

The players in each instance above were all underage so your last sentence above, Jericho is, IMO, accurate. Wire wearer was certainly involved with someone...so it is parents or AAU coach or Adidas who are not completely truthful. The common tie to this bidding effort was Adidas/wire guy.

In UNC's recruitment of Little, he may deserve a shadow of doubt but honestly, best we steer clear of him.

In UNC's recruitment of Little, he may deserve a shadow of doubt but honestly, best we steer clear of him.
Yeah, regardless of how deep his or his family's involvement is, it's just not a situation we need to put ourselves in considering we are already under investigation. We've done alright the past few years without a top 10 talent. I think we will be ok without him.

Reactions: Deezheelz

Go to any big time AAU or EYBL event, you would be amazed what you could over hear, people talking in public, it does not take a super sleuth, it just takes keeping your eyes and ears open and actually looking to see what you can find out.

It is like the academic scandal that has hit us, don't ya wonder why some curious reporter or the NCAA itself does not look in to programs that athletes cluster to, that are at EVERY NCAA D-1 program? I mean really, if what happened with us was so bad then why not investigate the clusters of athletes in classes around the country, I mean hell, they would not have even looked at ours had we not self reported it first. People want to know but really they don't want to know, that is the truth of it.

To this very day we still have UNC fans that lament the fact that UNC fired Butch Davis, even after all that has transpired, even knowing how long this has been going on and effecting every aspect of our sports as well as the image of the school itself. It was his players and got the NCAA in to our house and once in all bets are off. Fans care more about winning than anything else, that is the reality of it, Ky fans hated Kal when he coached at Memphis even more than we do today, accused him of cheating even more than we do today and yet today Kal could run for governor and win, he is worshiped in that state and they don't care if he cheats as long as he wins and does not get caught. It is that old SEC saying, if ya ain't cheatin ya ain't tryin.

Dave, I agree with you. In addition, the NCAA has a huge problem. Most of the Power 5 conference teams have huge shoe deals that were encouraged by the NCAA. The shoe companies control the schools with the lucrative shoe deals. The NCAA knows what is going on and has done nothing about it.. If you recall, the NCAA now allow coaches to communicate with players via text on a "unlimited" basis. The most popular text vehicle being used is called WhatsApp that has encrypted messages. Guess what? The FBI has subpoena power and can get to these text message with probable cause. There are three OAD players that are freshman this year that have fathers that played professionally that were actively involved in their recruitment. Watch these these situations closely over the Next several months. When Pearl "Washington" visted Fort "Knox" when he was in college, what did he have in those " Bags"?

So we began with four named schools, now we are up to ten schools, so the feds don't want to walk in too early or too quick as one could flush the covey of quail.

Dave, I agree with you. In addition, the NCAA has a huge problem. Most of the Power 5 conference teams have huge shoe deals that were encouraged by the NCAA. The shoe companies control the schools with the lucrative shoe deals. The NCAA knows what is going on and has done nothing about it.. If you recall, the NCAA now allow coaches to communicate with players via text on a "unlimited" basis. The most popular text vehicle being used is called WhatsApp that has encrypted messages. Guess what? The FBI has subpoena power and can get to these text message with probable cause. There are three OAD players that are freshman this year that have fathers that played professionally that were actively involved in their recruitment. Watch these these situations closely over the Next several months. When Pearl "Washington" visted Fort "Knox" when he was in college, what did he have in those " Bags"?

Have to admit knox's recruitment was an absolute circus side show for a kid who I think is way overrated. Sure seems like something strange was going on there.

Arizona Wildcats assistant coach Book Richardson was one of four college basketball coaches arrested on Tuesday due to charges filed by the FBI in a fraud and bribery investigation surrounding recruiting.

We’ve already talked about the big things that showed up in Richardson’s portion of the file released by the government, but there’s something hiding in the Miami portion.

Thanks to our Miami sister site State of the U, there is another huge detail involving Arizona that doesn’t name Richardson or the Wildcat coaching staff.

Arizona appears to have offered a 2018 recruit $150,000 to play in Tucson.

Below is the full section of the involvement of Miami and how Arizona fits in.

For background, Merl Code is a former Clemson player and current Adidas official. James Gatto is the head of global sports marketing for basketball at Adidas. Christian Dawkins was a sports agent, and Brad Augustine is the director of an AAU team that is sponsored by Adidas in Orlando, FL.

In addition, “Company-1” is Adidas, “University-4” is Arizona, “University-7” is Miami, and “Player-12” is thought to be 2018 five-star wing Nassir Little. Little was not publicly committed to any school prior to the charges being filed, but mysteriously tweeted out a decommitment (since deleted) on Tuesday.

August 11, 2017: Call 2, part 1 — Code discussed with Gatto the involvement of Dawkins and Augustine in the scheme to facilitate payments to “Player-12” in order to secure “Player-12’s” commitment to attend “University-7”. Code explained that another Division 1 university “University-4” was offering “Player-12” $150,000. Code stated “and we’re trying to keep him from going to one of their (rival apparel company’s) schools”.

Code further went on to tell Gatto that Dawkins and Augustine had asked Code if Gatto “would be able to keep him at “University-7” because they really want the kid.” Gatto confirmed that “Player-12” would be a rising senior in high school, and Code assured Gatto that the payments need not be “all in one lump sum. I can make it work...” Code went on to tell Gatto that the situation was “not one of those where I need an answer today. You know what I’m saying? I just wanted to put it on your plate.”

Call 2, part 2 — Still on call 2, Gatto asked whether “Company-1” would “have to match the “University-4” deal?” Gatto went on to ask if the payments could be pushed to 2018, saying “if I have to pay it out in ‘18, that’s fine”, but “I just don’t know if I, I just don’t know if I can’ do anything in ‘17 that’s what I’m saying”.

Referring back to the “University-6” (Louisville) scheme involving “Player-10” (thought to be Brian Bowen), Gatto told Code that he should “try to get it to, what did we do with “Player-10”, a 100”, which the FBI believes to represent a $100,000 payment to “Player-10”. Code replied that he was not sure “they’ll take that much less if I can take it down at least twenty five” (25 likely representing a $25,000 reduction in payment to “Player-12”), to which Gatto replied “alright, well let’s just see.”

August 12, 2017 — A phone call between Code and Dawkins is recorded by the FBI wiretap. On this call, Code relayed to Dawkins the substance of the August 11th calls between Code and Gatto regarding payments by “Company-1” to “Player-12”, including Gatto’s request that Code negotiate the $150,00 asking price set by “Player-12”. According to Code, however, if “University-4” was willing to pay the full $150,000 “then that’s where the kid is going to go.”

Referring to Gatto’s statement about not having sufficient funds to pay “Player-12” in 2017, Code stated if “Company-1” waited until January 2018 to commit to a payment amount “by that point that number might be 200” indicating $200,000. Code added that “Company-1” “won’t play if it’s. . . at that level, we won’t play.”

Dawkins asked what would be the highest payment that Gatto and “Company-1” would agree to, to which Code replied “I think they do 150 [$150,000] if, if “Coach-3” stayed on it.”

While Nike escaped the first day of this, employees of the company’s EYBL grassroots division along with all documents were subpoenaed by the FBI on Wednesday. The investigation has also led to the firing of Louisville head coach Rick Pitino and athletic director Tom Jurich. Louisville is alleged to have payed Brian Bowen $100,000, who has now been suspended indefinitely.

Arizona is also said to have a current player on the roster that was paid in some form according to the FBI report in addition to this $150,000 allegation.

We are told he reopened his recruitment. Everyone seems to think this means he had committed to AZ, just not yet announced it.

Why offer money after the commitment has been agreed to?

Perhaps more plausible is that the money had already been agreed upon, but not yet delivered.

We are told he reopened his recruitment. .

Honestly, THAT particular statement bothers me more than anything else.

Now, that being said, it is entirely possible that Augustine had that kind of influence where the family totally trusted him and didn't know he was a scoundrel (I'll let @FlaTarHeel comment further on that if he cares to).

Once again, Roy ain't naive. He knows what's up. If he continues recruiting Nas, then I trust all is good there. If he doesn't? Then hey, we"'ll all know why...

I guess he tweeted, then deleted he has re-opened his recruitment.. Looks like was indeed Zona bound due to $$$.

For sure he has reopened his recruitment it is because Roy has notified him that UNC is out .... I wouldn't touch him now with a 100 ' pole!

Knox and his father dragged the recruitment out waiting for the check to clear. I never bought the whole UK wants me to play the 2 guard position. When a school is getting 3 five star players at the same position it just does not add up.Justin Jackson's spot was wide open at Carolina but Knox chose to go to a school that was already loaded at his position. For 5 years I could never understand why Roy couldn't secure some of these players. It all makes perfect sense now. Put Carolina on your list for window dressing and end up at the school for a deal the shoe company brokered you through one of their assistant coaches. There isn't anyone in this country that can tell me that Arizona,Duke,Kansas and Kentucky weren't paying for certain players.

All I can say is how "Dadgum" happy I am to have Roy Williams as our coach. Like you've seen in my previous threads about Roy, I truly admire him as a coach, but also as a person off the court with strong morals and integrity. He's someone who prides himself on honesty and continues to embody the principles he learned from Dean. His character has been questioned too many times and for all of us it is super frustrating because we have seen and heard about the person he truly is. Roy has stayed true to his ways and his game plan even as the landscape of college basketball has changed. Where has that brought him/UNC basketball???
3 National Championships, 5 Final Fours, 1 National Runner Up, 3 ACC Tournament Titles and 8 ACC Regular Season Titles all in 14 years. He's done this while staying true to the Carolina way and having great kids who truly love him and the University of North Carolina. With him as their leader, they have worked as a TEAM, with no one being bigger than the other and having a connection on and off the court unlike any other. And that's the way its always been and will continue to be.

So to end, I am truly thankful that we have Roy and great people like him leading our program in a professional and respectable way leading us not to be absorbed by any of these developments. Let's always remember why we love our Tar Heels and who are the people that continue to keep it that way, the only way, The Carolina Way!!

+++1000000 ...... call him good two shoes if you like, but also call him a winner ... the best!!!

Spot on in the last two posts.
So in many instances UNC was a bargaining chip, or said another way, better offer a bit more coin or I might not go to "fill in the blank" school. Yeah, the last decade becomes a bit clearer.

Reactions: JakeSarna
UNC still has enough cachet in the basketball world that these kids want to be offered, even if they have no intention of matriculating to UNC. It's an ego thing with recruits.

UNC still has enough cachet in the basketball world that these kids want to be offered, even if they have no intention of matriculating to UNC. It's an ego thing with recruits.
...and as this episode shows, the whole UNC-ain't-cool meme is overblown at best --- just an excuse used by "pundits" to turn a blind eye to all this obvious cheating that's been going on in nearly plain sight .

Many elite kids are genuinely interested in UNC and many love Roy on the recruiting trail, but then lo and behold in the end they make the ol' "business decision"... which as it turns out is a quite literal description.

would love to see the gyms at summer time..an FBI jacket enters walking along near the coaches...business as usual,maybe not so much-wiretapped phones

Evan Daniels, the national recruiting director for Scout, just submitted a UNC crystal ball for Little.

Now I'm confused.

Yup Evan Daniels just gave UNC a crystal ball pick with nassir little and unbelievably devils den chad lykins just gave UNC a pick after they kept only giving Arizona picks. It's funny how d00k was the only one to think of putting Arizona in its picks. You know DookxZona battle eachother a lot $$$ wise for top recruits

Knox and his father dragged the recruitment out waiting for the check to clear. I never bought the whole UK wants me to play the 2 guard position. When a school is getting 3 five star players at the same position it just does not add up.Justin Jackson's spot was wide open at Carolina but Knox chose to go to a school that was already loaded at his position. For 5 years I could never understand why Roy couldn't secure some of these players. It all makes perfect sense now. Put Carolina on your list for window dressing and end up at the school for a deal the shoe company brokered you through one of their assistant coaches. There isn't anyone in this country that can tell me that Arizona,Duke,Kansas and Kentucky weren't paying for certain players.

EXACTLY !

The EXACT points I have as well been trying to hammer home! It pisses me off to know why we missed on guys like Josh Jackson, Adkins, PJ, Bam. When I see a thread like Lebron said he would have played for UNC, well no he wouldn't have, he would have been paid to go elsewhere and not a single one of us really think otherwise. I saw Roy do as great a job recruiting Randle as any coach could have and he was not ever in it really, saw a kid we all just knew we had skip to IU (addias) in that same class and yet all folks could do is fault Roy and point to fiction as to why we lost him. Roy even missed on Boo's son for gosh sake, no freakin way that would have happened straight up. To the highest bidder should NEVER be the college model...It has become that only because the NCAA is not doing its job and yet they worry about the difficulty of our classes and sports writers

Evan Daniels, the national recruiting director for Scout, just submitted a UNC crystal ball for Little.

Now I'm confused.
Not sure why. If $$$ weren't a factor he was all UNC. The only question now is where Roy stands as to Little's viability to be a Heel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT