ADVERTISEMENT

Netflix Finds

"Have Good Trip" was pretty funny. Celebrities share their acid trip experiences.

Several reminded me of my own. I was born high... never needed psychedelics. But, I'm through the looking glass now!

I never knew Carrie Fisher was so heavy into LSD!

have-a-good-trip.jpeg

LSD is another drug that should be completely legal along with marijuana and psilocybin.

LSD is another drug that should be completely legal along with marijuana and psilocybin.
It's getting back to being legal. Same with the mushrooms. I think that's addressed in the film.

Some of the accounts are crazy. I consumed my share of intoxicants in my youth, but I never mixed a half-dozen different ones at the same time. Anthony Bourdain talks about an experience and there's mushrooms, hash, marijuana, gin and cocaine. I dunno how that would be enjoyable at all. I might mix weed and alcohol. I usually had to mix weed with alcohol because weed made me so paranoid that I otherwise couldn't handle it. And, I was basically "dosed" when I had my psychedelic experience. The weed was laced with PCP or peyote... I forgot which. But, I never have forgotten the experience.

Just finished dead to me with Christina Applegate. A dark comedy produced by Will Ferrell About two women who become friends while dealing with loss. Really good. I read that she needed therapy after doing the series. The show has a lot of depth to it which surprises me considering it came from Farrell. It’s certainly funny but not in the vein of normal Will Ferrell comedy.

"Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich"

That was fuuuuuukked-up! That was SO messed up! Prince Andrew? Alan Dershowitz?

I'm surprised the guy ever lived as long as he did. And, his accomplice, Ghislaine Maxwell is still around, somewhere.

I haven't watched, but I can believe Alan Dershoshitz was involved. He's a shitbag.
Dude... I warn you... that was 20 different kinds of messed-up!

And, these celebrities that would still buddy-up to him AFTER he was released the first time! They attended his parties, and so forth. The only one who was missing was Roman Polanski!

Dershowitz was an especially fun feature in the series. He takes pride in helping to get OJ off.

A buddy of mine is convinced that the royal family had Epstein bumped off. Prince Andrew was interviewed... and, it didn't go well.

My wife started watching that series "The Americans" recently, and I ended up getting into myself. Pretty entertaining show. I believe it was on Prime, not Netflix.

Wife and I are also watching this. Currently on season 2. Great show. Keri Russell is serious smoke!

Also watching Filthy Rich about Jeffrey Epstein. Pretty good.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
The Epstein documentary made me even more convinced that Epstein was working with the government in some capacity. Maybe after the first time he was arrested, they decided he could be useful. Idk, pure speculation, but a lot of things about the story just don't make sense.

The Epstein documentary made me even more convinced that Epstein was working with the government in some capacity. Maybe after the first time he was arrested, they decided he could be useful. Idk, pure speculation, but a lot of things about the story just don't make sense.
What are some of those things?

I was kinda surprised that so many of the girls were eager to recruit more girls after THEY were abused. Some even exposed their younger siblings to him.

And, Ghislaine Maxwell, his accomplice, should be arrested, too.

Just finished dead to me with Christina Applegate. A dark comedy produced by Will Ferrell About two women who become friends while dealing with loss. Really good. I read that she needed therapy after doing the series. The show has a lot of depth to it which surprises me considering it came from Farrell. It’s certainly funny but not in the vein of normal Will Ferrell comedy.

I watched that last year and enjoyed it. I actually liked it more early on, but still though it was good. Haven't watched season two yet. Weird to see her in a role like that for those of us who grew up with her as Kelly Bundy.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
What are some of those things?

I was kinda surprised that so many of the girls were eager to recruit more girls after THEY were abused. Some even exposed their younger siblings to him.

And, Ghislaine Maxwell, his accomplice, should be arrested, too.

The deal he got the first time he got busted was crazy. The fact that they let him out on work release and didn't really monitor him at all. A lot of his wealth hasn't been very well explained. There isn't a really a record of how he made all that money, just a record of the insanely valuable assets that he owned.

He was monitoring everyone at all times on his properties. I'm not saying I know what was going on, but that sounds exactly like some kind of American kompromat program. I think its likely he was blackmailing people. Maybe it was just for himself, but to me it seems possible that there is a deeper story.

The deal he got the first time he got busted was crazy. The fact that they let him out on work release and didn't really monitor him at all. A lot of his wealth hasn't been very well explained. There isn't a really a record of how he made all that money, just a record of the insanely valuable assets that he owned.

He was monitoring everyone at all times on his properties. I'm not saying I know what was going on, but that sounds exactly like some kind of American kompromat program. I think its likely he was blackmailing people. Maybe it was just for himself, but to me it seems possible that there is a deeper story.
Ahhh, okay.

He definitely met the end that he was destined for, I think. He had too many ultra-high profile people, and institutions, at risk to have ever made it out alive, to tell any kind of story. 66 is pretty old for someone who did what he did.

Reactions: uncboy10
That autoplay shit that netflix does when browsing is annoying as hell. I finally figured out how to turn it off but I was about to cancel the whole damn thing if there wasn't a way to stop it.

Just finished Epstein as well. I can somewhat understand the local police department being bought off considering the circumstances involved but damn the FBI really disappointed me in how they handled it

Highly recommend 'The Social Dilemma.' Great documentary about the dangers of social media.

Bryan Fogel who made Icarus is coming out with a new documentary on Netflix soon as well. It's about the murder of Jamal Khashoggi.

“My teacher the octopus” this is a documentary about a photographer who bonds with an octopus. All I can say is MIND BLOWING. This might be the most amazing nature documentary you will ever see. It is incredible. You’ll never look at octopi the same.

Dusting off this old thread. I started watching Plebs on Amazon Prime. It's British, so if you don't like their humor (humour?) style it probably won't appeal to you. Even if you do, you may not like it, but I'm finding it pretty funny.

Pickins are so slim right now. Having to go back and try to find shows may have missed. Peaky blinders is okay. Brit gangs post ww1 fighting over control of Birmingham England. Sam Neil as a bad guy is a reach. As is a pubescent faced 20 yr old looking mafia boss (Calian Murphy). But the storyline and period setting is good.

Schitts creek is hilarious to me but I seem to be in the minority with my friends and family.

Devs, helstrom, big sky, bloom, monster land....didn’t make it through 2nd episode of any of em.

ratchet is fukked up...damn

Yeah enjoyed that. I second the Queen's Gambit comment, it was fantastic.

The Last Czar for you history lovers was good, especially since it's very historically accurate...which makes the Rasputin stuff even more wild.

Started watching The Teacher on Hulu because I love Kate Mara but it's pretty shitty.

Reactions: gteeitup
I thought I had already shared this:

Free State Of Jones was INCREDIBLE! It helped me to be even more glad that the South lost the Civil War. The Confederacy was whitewashed IMMENSELY in the South by The Lost Cause revision. Free State of Jones shows just how terrible and harsh the Confederate military was on its own white people. It goes even deeper to reveal how fvcked-up the war industry is, in general. This film, and Cold Mountain, are essential Civil War films. FSOJ is based on a true story whereas Cold Mountain is fiction.

There is a really interesting mini-subplot during the film that reveals how the South- specifically Mississippi- was so inherently racist well into the 1960s. It was trying to deny Davis Knight- a descendant of Newton Knight- recognition of marriage to his "white" wife, and put him in prison for violating the race laws of Mississippi in 1948.

Free State Of Jones was INCREDIBLE! It helped me to be even more glad that the South lost the Civil War. The Confederacy was whitewashed IMMENSELY in the South by The Lost Cause revision. Free State of Jones shows just how terrible and harsh the Confederate military was on its own white people. It goes even deeper to reveal how fvcked-up the war industry is, in general. This film, and Cold Mountain, are essential Civil War films. FSOJ is based on a true story whereas Cold Mountain is fiction.

There is a really interesting mini-subplot during the film that reveals how the South- specifically Mississippi- was so inherently racist well into the 1960s. It was trying to deny Davis Knight- a descendant of Newton Knight- recognition of marriage to his "white" wife, and put him in prison for violating the race laws of Mississippi in 1948.
I just watched this a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was interesting how little support the north was willing to give them. Seems like it would have been an obvious strategic advantage to provide them help.

After seeing the movie, I read up some on the modern day thoughts on him in mississippi. It's interesting how they are still very divided about how he is seen. Some see him as a war hero, others as a traitor. Also interesting was how the two sides of his family interact. The "white side" and "black side" have problems with each other even though they are family.

Reactions: Heelicious
I just watched this a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was interesting how little support the north was willing to give them. Seems like it would have been an obvious strategic advantage to provide them help.

After seeing the movie, I read up some on the modern day thoughts on him in mississippi. It's interesting how they are still very divided about how he is seen. Some see him as a war hero, others as a traitor. Also interesting was how the two sides of his family interact. The "white side" and "black side" have problems with each other even though they are family.
I was first turned-on to the story from the 1990 Ken Burns: Civil War documentary series. He mentioned it in some detail in one of the episodes. And, I remember thinking "How in the world did they pull THAT off in Mississippi DURING the Civil War???" It would be like a rebellion in Hamburg or something during WWII.

As far as Sherman helping, I think it was more strategic than lacking empathy. I don't really know for sure. I have studied the Civil War most of my life. Sherman, I believe, by that time, in the spring of 1864, was more focused on his part of the 3-pronged strategy to bring the Confederacy to its knees by crippling Georgia. Southern Mississippi wasn't of any real value. The Mississippi River was in Union hands for a year almost, by then. In order to END the war, the Army of Northern Virginia and whatever was left of the forces in the west- TN, MS, GA, etc.- had to be defeated and the supply lines from Georgia to the troops in the east had to be destroyed. The far western theater of the war, by then, was pretty much done. And, Sherman was never much for alleviating anything that had to do with the "people back home." He didn't want the slave refugees following his armies, even though they did. And, as we all know, he torched the whole damned country behind him. I'm frankly surprised they got the rifles! I'm mostly surprised they could even travel that far to reach him. I'm not totally sure that that particular aspect of the film is historically accurate.

Here's a very good article about Knight and his legacy.

This was a very good movie. I saw it when it first came out many years ago. Also just finished the McCauneghy book Greenlights on Audible, whic mentions this briefly. This was one of MM's first serious, non- rom com movies, and I thought it was way underrated.

All the stuff @strummingram said above are true.....there is also good info in it about how f'd up and corrupt elections were in certain states at that time - stacked heavily to maintain slavery, illegally. I'll just leave it at that.

I binged all 6 seasons a few weeks ago. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also, sorry if already mentioned, The Queen’s Gambit is a fantastic watch.
To each their own - but our family watched it and found it to be OK, not great. I give it a 'Meh" grade. I think that was due to it being hyped by friends as the best series in years. Its just middle of the road, IMO.

Part of it was the wild unbelievability of any of the matches if you know anything about how chess really works. What % of games end in draws (none in the series), some other unbelievable stuff about the matches, etc.

But I get, the movie isn't about the chess. It's about the girl. With the messed up negative portrayal of all men except one in the series, I was very surprised to learn it was written by a dude.

This was a very good movie. I saw it when it first came out many years ago. Also just finished the McCauneghy book Greenlights on Audible, whic mentions this briefly. This was one of MM's first serious, non- rom com movies, and I thought it was way underrated.

All the stuff @strummingram said above are true.....there is also good info in it about how f'd up and corrupt elections were in certain states at that time - stacked heavily to maintain slavery, illegally. I'll just leave it at that.
I mean, yeah, it was free labor.

If you were a farmer today, would you ask for laws that forced you to give up your tractors?

Applying 2021 moral code to 1861 is a naive and fruitless exercise.

Genius Greek philosophers whose teachings we still use... also molested underage boys. Societies change and adapt.

Highly recommend 'The Social Dilemma.' Great documentary about the dangers of social media.

Bryan Fogel who made Icarus is coming out with a new documentary on Netflix soon as well. It's about the murder of Jamal Khashoggi.

Update: Netflix pussed out. Everyone is scared of pissing of the saudis

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT