ADVERTISEMENT

Netflix Finds

I mean, yeah, it was free labor.

If you were a farmer today, would you ask for laws that forced you to give up your tractors?

Applying 2021 moral code to 1861 is a naive and fruitless exercise.

Genius Greek philosophers whose teachings we still use... also molested underage boys. Societies change and adapt.
Are you PWD? Posting-While-Drunk?

This was a very good movie. I saw it when it first came out many years ago. Also just finished the McCauneghy book Greenlights on Audible, whic mentions this briefly. This was one of MM's first serious, non- rom com movies, and I thought it was way underrated.

All the stuff @strummingram said above are true.....there is also good info in it about how f'd up and corrupt elections were in certain states at that time - stacked heavily to maintain slavery, illegally. I'll just leave it at that.
One of the WORST things that ever gained popularity in southern (and American) culture is the "Lost Cause" narrative. It all but guaranteed another century, and more, of institutionalized racism in America. The election of 1876, which removed US Troops from the South, helped it all gain momentum. Allowing The South to glorify itself was a total disaster. I suppose AMERICA hadn't totally come to terms with the fact that people actually owning other people- that look different from the Masters- was a completely "wrong" way of thinking... and acting.

Highly recommend 'The Social Dilemma.' Great documentary about the dangers of social media.

Bryan Fogel who made Icarus is coming out with a new documentary on Netflix soon as well. It's about the murder of Jamal Khashoggi.

@uncboy10 - thanks for recommending Social Dilemma. My college senior son recommended it as well. I justwatched it this weekend.

Wow! Hard to refute anything in the documentary. All of it is true regarding being as / more addictive than a drug. I know that can be true for me, and for almost anyone especially if one has an addiction-prone makeup.

Kind of scary and telling, how most of these very smart engineers, are now trying to determine how to deconstruct, or tame, the monster they helped create. And how - several of them have kids, and are strict about limiting or denying their kids screen time at all.

Interesting (and I appreciated) that it didn't take one political side or the other in the documentary....played it straight as a problem for both sides....and also scary about how much real harm it caused in foreign / muslim country elections.

Also scary - and real - how much this addiction fks with kids brains especially - say 10 - 22, when the desire to be liked, noticed, fit in, accepted - trumps all else in life.... and the rejection, ignoring, bullying on-line causes (or is a major contributor to) cutting, violence, depression, suicide.

I know they can do a lot of good, in communicating with family and friends - but I guess - if I was forced to choose, I think we'd be better off as a society without FB, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, Pinterest. FB and Twitter is all I am on.

It is not profound - but when they had Marco Rubio on - he is right. So few young adults and teens even talk to each other any more. There is little like dating, romance, relationships, face-to-face friendships. How horrible this has been stolen from a generation. I have three kids in this Gen Z generation - 21, 19, 16.

It also leads to such severe political polarization - because on - line it is so easy to take shots at people you never see, spread lies with no consequences, etc... do things you'd never do if you needed to talk to someone face to face, spend a week in the same home with the person, etc. In our country the polarization is getting worse all the time

I don't know what the answer is, but I am glad they made the documentary, and am glad these very smart people are doing something about the problem....the documentary, classes, seminars, hearings, etc

Noticably absent are human POS people lile Zuckerberg (FB) and Dorsey) - who just give this naive, dumbfk blank stare when they are asked if their app causes any issues. The playing dumb and innocent infuriates me about them.

I highly recommend the Social Dilemma documentary as well.

"Hidden Figures"... great film, and even more awesome true story! NASA might have gotten men on the moon faster, or at least John Glenn into orbit sooner, if NASA didn't still have segregated restrooms in the early 60s. Actually, there were a lot of strides forward, and they got rid of segregated obstacles, for the ladies in the film

And, I know I'm old when Claudia, from Interview With The Vampire, is looking old in a film made over 4 years ago.

Last edited:
every kid should be required to watch 'The Social Dilemma' the day they get their first smart phone ... which IMO should be when they start driving, no sooner.

Lol at all these movies and tv shows that cast 50 yr old leading men with love interests 20 yrs younger
H
H
K

And it’s pretty cool that I can create a grid like this for who knows whatever the fuk reason but still can’t copy and paste a simple pic from my iPhone.

Reactions: gteeitup
Lol at all these movies and tv shows that cast 50 yr old leading men with love interests 20 yrs younger
H
H
K

And it’s pretty cool that I can create a grid like this for who knows whatever the fuk reason but still can’t copy and paste a simple pic from my iPhone.

word

did you expect that ending?...i got it completely wrong.

i just started “white lines” cause i wanted crazy...so far, not disappointed.

I didn't.

These shows never seem to do the obvious, which was him doing it all along. I thought Kidman did it the whole time but then I thought it was the kid when we found the weapon in his bag. Never thought they'd just have it be Hugh Grant the whole time.

did you expect that ending?...i got it completely wrong.

i just started “white lines” cause i wanted crazy...so far, not disappointed.

These shows usually spring the most surprising person on you so you look for that. Then when it’s the least surprising you end up suprprised. Surprising.

The Undoing was great. There were a few giveaways about midway through, but definitely left enough up in the air to keep you on your toes.

The new HBO movie with Denzel, 'The Little Things' is pretty damn good too.

White Lines gets super duper crazy. I didn't see the ending of that one coming at all.

my original guess was that she was crazy and killed herself to try and set him up. But they gave him a bunch of subtle little ticks and things to show when he’s lying. Go back and watch the restaurant scene when he talks about his sister, he does the same weird mouth and hand thing before he starts a big lie. He also did it on the tv show appearance. Very cool detail given the emphasis on psychology.

Reactions: dadika13
we are knocking these shows out:

“promising young woman”
“palm springs”
“trial of chicago 7”
“the flight attendant”

just started “the great”

I've been watching The Sinner. Almost finished with it. It's been pretty good so far, especially season one.

we are knocking these shows out:

“promising young woman”
“palm springs”
“trial of chicago 7”
“the flight attendant”

just started “the great”
Chicago 7 was great. There was a similar film in the late 80s, I remember seeing.

Sasha Baron Cohen was awesome as Abbie Hoffman.

Reactions: uncboy10
Chicago 7 was great. There was a similar film in the late 80s, I remember seeing.

He’s a damn good actor when he does the more serious stuff.

In other news I’m on s4 of the sopranos after starting it like a week ago. Not sure how I never got around to this one before now.

He’s a damn good actor when he does the more serious stuff.

In other news I’m on s4 of the sopranos after starting it like a week ago. Not sure how I never got around to this one before now.
I rewatched the sopranos a few months ago. It was just as good as I remembered and the ending was just as bad as I remembered.

This was really good.

We watched Judas and the Black Messiah on HBO the other night. Good movie about an undercover in the Black Panthers. The two lead guys are great actors.

Reactions: strummingram
If you want a random, ultra-violent sci-fi movie, try Hardcore Henry on netflix. Storyline is novel and potentially interesting, but has some holes and dumb plot parts.
It's entertaining partly because it's a sci-fi fast-paced action movie with unlimited guns and bullets and partly because it is entirely first person.

Last edited:
If you want a random, ultra-violent sci-fi movie, try Hardcore Henry on netflix. Storyline is novel and potentially interesting, but has some holes and dumb plot parts.
It's entertaining partly because it's a sci-fi fast-paced action movie with unlimited guns and bullets and partly because it is entirely first person.

my daughter told me about this. I started watching and at first I though wtf. But it’s actually pretty good.

finished “nomadland” before the heels game...it’s pretty good, but i can’t put any film ahead of “promising young woman” this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT