ADVERTISEMENT

Next HC

Hard to believe he would turn down IU and listen to UNC but he would be the home run hire. The dude grew up an IU fan, wife went to school there, dad is a fan and the family lives not far from Bloomington and he still turned them down. Just seemed like they were most likely to pry him away from Boston.
All true just what u have heard he is 3 games under 500 but I think another NBA team would hire pretty quick if let go.

Do not think he was on UNC radar at all, but Porter Moser just left Loyola to take the head gig at Oklahoma.

Do not think he was on UNC radar at all, but Porter Moser just left Loyola to take the head gig at Oklahoma.
Moser should have been on any UNC list unless it was 100% certain that Few, Stevens, Wright, and Donovan were were not possibilities. Moser has done the near impossible at Loyola. And he has done it with class players. OU has made a very good hire. They should stress that to recruits who are also considering KU, because Self is dirty.

UNC has fired one coach in 60 years. Indiana fires a coach every 60 months.

Last 30 years
UNC 4 Championships and 11 Final Fours
Indiana 2 Final Fours

Nuff’ said.
I think they have made the NCAA tournament in like 4 out of the last 14 years or something like that. It isn't the 1980's anymore.

They have a huge passionate fanbase, huge money, and ancient history, but nothing at the level of upper echelon for quite a while.

I think they have made the NCAA tournament in like 4 out of the last 14 years or something like that. It isn't the 1980's anymore.

They have a huge passionate fanbase, huge money, and ancient history, but nothing at the level of upper echelon for quite a while.
That's because they fired Knight and then made the assistant that Knight least liked, and might have fired, his replacement, and then replaced Mike Davis with Kelvin Sampson, whom Knight rightly said was dirty. By then the Knight loyalists were 100% disgusted.

I do not think that Mike Woodson is likely to return IU hoops to the top, but at least the Knight loyalists see him as one of them. It is only now that IU can overcome the firing of Knight and the ensuing insults of Knight and his most devoted former players and assistants.

But Davis got them to a national title game.
That's because they fired Knight and then made the assistant that Knight least liked, and might have fired, his replacement, and then replaced Mike Davis with Kelvin Sampson, whom Knight rightly said was dirty. By then the Knight loyalists were 100% disgusted.

I do not think that Mike Woodson is likely to return IU hoops to the top, but at least the Knight loyalists see him as one of them. It is only now that IU can overcome the firing of Knight and the ensuing insults of Knight and his most devoted former players and assistants.
But Davis got them to a national championship game. Kelvin Sampson has been very successful everywhere. It was Crean, and the the mid major young hot name Archie Miller who were dumpster fires.

If Wes Miller is hired, he could lead UNC as long as Dean did(36 years). I would love to see him take the all time wins record from K.

Reactions: PEPSIFANCY
If Wes Miller is hired, he could lead UNC as long as Dean did(36 years). I would love to see him take the all time wins record from K.

Yeah but why give a guy 40yrs for for such a cheap thrill?

IMO Wes Miller is a good coach and all but his brand is simply not strong enough-yet for a elite tier basketball program like UNC. Its just not. Tell me where I'm wrong.

• Sad
Reactions: PEPSIFANCY
It's a big leap. Wes has never recruited top tier talent or coached it. Whole different world, many much more successful mid major guys have been overwhelmed coming in with more success then Wes has had. It is a very different dynamic for sure.

Reactions: KinstonNC
I feel like I will share my non expert opinion. Trying to read through the lines, Bubba said he’s trying to find the right leader for the program right NOW. To me that means who can give us success now, not in 3,4 or 5 years. Who is the best leader right now for the program, students and the kids we are trying to recruit. To me, that automatically disqualifies Hubert and possibly Miller as his first options. I could be way the hell off but just my 2 cents on what was said.

Reactions: KinstonNC
He's a better option then Hubert Davis

Hubert Davis is an even worst choice in my opinion. He has never shown any desire of being a head coach. At least Wes went out and jump into the fire and now building a coaching resume. He still has a long ways to go from being ready for a school like UNC, while in contrast Hubert has only been a follower for 10years.

Wes is not ready by a long shot and Hubert has shown no fire in the belly to lead anyone. Honestly, to think that those two are even being considered leads me to believe that we aren't really looking, we're just LAZY looking. Damn.

Last edited:
IU isn't a blue blood. They can call themselves that if they want, but their time has come and gone.
I dunno... I've got an older DVD from ESPN called the "College Hoops Honor Roll" and IU is in that list. There's UCLA, UNC, UCONN, Duke, IU, Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan State and so on . I mean, in a way, one could argue that without Coach K, is Duke really a "blue blood?" Bubas and Foster were never anything remotely like K. NCSU would have more claim to that than Duke. You're saying, I assume, that without Bobby Knight, then Indiana isn't a blip on the radar. And, without Jim Calhoun, John Wooden, Adolph Rupp and Dean Smith... their teams would be sorely lacking as a Blue Blood legacy contender.

I dunno... I've got an older DVD from ESPN called the "College Hoops Honor Roll" and IU is in that list. There's UCLA, UNC, UCONN, Duke, IU, Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan State and so on . I mean, in a way, one could argue that without Coach K, is Duke really a "blue blood?" Bubas and Foster were never anything remotely like K. NCSU would have more claim to that than Duke. You're saying, I assume, that without Bobby Knight, then Indiana isn't a blip on the radar. And, without Jim Calhoun, John Wooden, Adolph Rupp and Dean Smith... their teams would be sorely lacking as a Blue Blood legacy contender.

Oh lord strummingram will you just shut up already! Just kiddin bro Just kiddin!!

Reactions: John_Mexico
It's a big leap. Wes has never recruited top tier talent or coached it. Whole different world, many much more successful mid major guys have been overwhelmed coming in with more success then Wes has had. It is a very different dynamic for sure.
Roy loves Wes, Roy will be at his side along the way, every ex player will be behind Wes, you can count on it.

Bluebloods have to be consistent over several decades. IU hasn't been relevant for most of the past 30 years. Same for UCLA. No disrespect to your DVD intended.

Bluebloods have to be consistent over several decades. IU hasn't been relevant for most of the past 30 years. Same for UCLA. No disrespect to your DVD intended.
Yeah, I don't remember how old it is. But, wouldn't you consider UCLA a blue blood?

Based on the criteria I am getting from you, there are only a handful of bluebloods in CBB. UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, and maybe Louisville? Is UConn a blueblood?

Reactions: Heelicious
Yeah, I don't remember how old it is. But, wouldn't you consider UCLA a blue blood?

Based on the criteria I am getting from you, there are only a handful of bluebloods in CBB. UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, and maybe Louisville? Is UConn a blueblood?
UCLA isn't one. Not sure if you remember, but I ran some numbers on OOTB a while ago showing why UCLA isn't a blueblood. They fall just outside the cut line. UNC, uk, KU and duke fit the criteria. I would put UL as an honorable mention with UCLA.

His arsh? What's his arsh? Why are you using my statements in quotes and then projecting yourself on them? I have deep issues with what what I'm not "use" to? Most human beings have issues with what they're not USED to. I'm used to the knowledge that Stackhouse is not a very good coach, and I'm used to the knowledge that the Fab 5 were glorified, exploited and their legacy resulted in removal of their wins due to NCAA violations. Those are facts, not opinions... or my issues.

I'm not sure it's my problem, here. This back-and-forth really feels like it's much more of a YP- a Your Problem. You're the one who is obsessed with Juwon Howard, Jerry Stackhouse, they're epic showdown in your imagination, and the certainty that Stackhouse is somehow the Resurrection of UNC Basketball. If you're from Kinston, then you're probably keen on Stackhouse. You must be since you've created a new thread warning everyone how UNC and Jerry are a match made in heaven, and you couldn't get enough attention here, I guess? If anything, my problem is being foolish enough to keep interacting with you.
I have advice for both of you... If you're exchanging multi paragraph interactions on a sports forum that get heated you might need to find a new past time.

Indiana is like the 4th best program in the Big Ten behind Michigan State, Michigan, Wisconsin at least. Maryland gives it a run for its money. Indiana’s been the third best program in its state for the last 10+ years.

UNC, uk, KU
Without a doubt - all 3 have had continued success for many decades under numerous coaches; with each school reaching FF's under 5 different coaches, and winning natty's by 3 or more HC's.

Speaking as a biased UNC fan... sure, dook is a blue blood now, but mostly due to k (12 of 16 FF's, and all their natty's). Once he finally leaves, let's see if they can maintain it. Probably they will, but IU hasn't been able to after the rat's mentor left, so it would be fine by me if dook fell flat as well. :)

Well I am sure most on here will disagree but the NCAA Tourney this year was not the same without Duke and Kentucky. Having Duke, Kentucky, Kansas along with UNC in the sweet 16 makes it more exciting to me. I'm rooting for the Heels to win and rooting for those 3 to lose. The UNC/Duke rivalry would not be what it is today without both teams being great over the last 30 or so years.

Reactions: uncboy10
Well I am sure most on here will disagree but the NCAA Tourney this year was not the same without Duke and Kentucky. Having Duke, Kentucky, Kansas along with UNC in the sweet 16 makes it more exciting to me. I'm rooting for the Heels to win and rooting for those 3 to lose. The UNC/Duke rivalry would not be what it is today without both teams being great over the last 30 or so years.
I agree with for most part. I love upsets in the first round of tourney but once it gets to the 16 or elite 8, I like the big guys there because it just feels more like March. As long as duke, ku, or uk promise to not win the title, I'm fine with them being in big sweet 16 games lol. Some good games this tourney but this sweet 16, elite 8, even final 4 just seem off with these different schools.

Reactions: uncfootball-
The bama coach is intriguing
I agree. Right age, innovative, exciting offense, uses analytics like the pros, passionate student of the game, emphasizes defense, has proof of concept at Buffalo and Alabama, has won a conference in the same league as Kentucky, good recruiter, and has won NCAA tournament games.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
One of those was an assistant to Doc Rivers and the other was an assistant to Bobby Hurley lol
Are you saying something is wrong with that? Just curious because both Oats and Musselman have gone on to success as head coaches at at least two stops.

be patient & trust bubba .... roy has given his input ..... everyone will not be happy or agree on the next HC .... im rooting for miller ......i think he would do great ... he loves unc & roy & the same love goes back to him !!!!!

Hubert Davis is an even worst choice in my opinion. He has never shown any desire of being a head coach. At least Wes went out and jump into the fire and now building a coaching resume. He still has a long ways to go from being ready for a school like UNC, while in contrast Hubert has only been a follower for 10years.

Wes is not ready by a long shot and Hubert has shown no fire in the belly to lead anyone. Honestly, to think that those two are even being considered leads me to believe that we aren't really looking, we're just LAZY looking. Damn.
I agree but I don't think Davis or Miller have any chance of being selected as the next coach.

be patient & trust bubba .... roy has given his input ..... everyone will not be happy or agree on the next HC .... im rooting for miller ......i think he would do great ... he loves unc & roy & the same love goes back to him !!!!!
Unfortunately I agree with what you said about everyone not being happy. There will certainly be people who aren’t going to be happy with whoever is chosen to be the next head coach. I have my preferences as to who I’d like to see, but regardless, I’ll be ready to cheer on the heels next fall.

UCLA isn't one. Not sure if you remember, but I ran some numbers on OOTB a while ago showing why UCLA isn't a blueblood. They fall just outside the cut line. UNC, uk, KU and duke fit the criteria. I would put UL as an honorable mention with UCLA.
I don't recall. I see where you're coming from. I still say UCLA is a blueblood... even though there's not much blood anymore. Louisville with Denny Crum was really good.

And, I the only reason Duke is there is Coach K. Same as Wooden at UCLA, except K is still coaching. And, compared to Wooden, the others are in his rear-view. Coach K has more wins, but he's been coaching for 40 years now, with longer seasons. When he retires, I don't expect them to maintain that level at all.

Reactions: Heelicious
be patient & trust bubba .... roy has given his input ...everyone will not be happy or agree on the next HC .... im rooting for miller ......i think he would do great ... he loves unc & roy & the same love goes back to him !!!!!

Yeah but one freaking coaching job at UNCG and now we should just hand Wes Miller the keys to University of Chapel Hill? REALLY?? Damn...the system strikes again! Some things in this country never change.
K will be gone next few months and you can rest assure when that time comes he will make certain that his replacement makes Mr perfect No-Adversity WES MILLER look like chop liver! IT WILL BE WAY TOO EASY NOT TO!!!

Now give me a minute...1 more minute please...I just need 2 more seconds, ok...I'm now cured up tight in the fetal position with a bullet proof vest covering all vital organs- Go!

Last edited:
Yeah but one freaking coaching job at UNCG and now we should just hand Wes Miller the keys to University of Chapel Hill? REALLY?? Damn...the system strikes again! Some things in this country never change.
K will be gone next few months and you can rest assure when that time comes he will make certain that his replacement makes Mr perfect No-Adversity WES MILLER look like chop liver! IT WILL BE WAY TOO EASY NOT TO!!!

Now give me a minute...1 more minute please...I just need 2 more seconds, ok...I'm now cured up tight in the fetal position with a bullet proof vest covering all vital organs- Go!
Yet you want Stackhouse who has been pretty bad at Vanderbilt. Least Wes has done something at UNCG.

I'm curious what "system strikes again" you are referring to.

Yet you want Stackhouse who has been pretty bad at Vanderbilt. Least Wes has done something at UNCG.

I'm curious what "system strikes again" you are referring to.
Prob some crap that has to do with race. There really would be NO comparison between hiring Wes, who has done a very good job at UNCG and done it w class, and Stack, whos done a piss poor job at Vandy with some stupid immature comments and actions. Just gimme Stevens or maybe even more realistically Oats and that discussion between stack and miller is moot.

I don't recall. I see where you're coming from. I still say UCLA is a blueblood... even though there's not much blood anymore. Louisville with Denny Crum was really good.

And, I the only reason Duke is there is Coach K. Same as Wooden at UCLA, except K is still coaching. And, compared to Wooden, the others are in his rear-view. Coach K has more wins, but he's been coaching for 40 years now, with longer seasons. When he retires, I don't expect them to maintain that level at all.
Dook reached the Final 4 four times before Rat-Face arrived. That and all the Ws going back to at least the late SoCon days and the ACC rivalries make Dook a Blue Blood.

Dook may never again win as it has under the Rat, but the UNC-Dook rivalry will always be huge and always mean that Dook can lure a top coach and top recruits.

But if Dook gets all mushy and replaces Rat-Face with somebody who is not up to the task, then Dook basketball could take a nice tumble.

Ditto UNC basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT