ADVERTISEMENT

Next HC

Indiana is not a blue blood program. That’s ridiculous
All those wins, including 5 NCAA Championships, say otherwise.

What is IU? A Blue Blood that got very stupid in firing its best coach ever and then kept compounding that bad decision by hiring people that Knight disliked (including Mike Davis as his replacement). IU's administration just kept reopening the wounds while calling on Knight to be reasonable, and it ripped the boosters and general fans apart.

And who benefitted? Purdue, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio St, and Wisconsin.

Yet you want Stackhouse who has been pretty bad at Vanderbilt. Least Wes has done something at UNCG.

I'm curious what "system strikes again" you are referring to.

Stack Vanderbilt Stackhouse Vanderbilt...mentions Vanderbilt ERASE everything else. PEDICTABLE! News flash: Basketball wise, Vanderbilt is as lousy as it gets...all by itself!
As for your curiosity goes 'The system' refers to Vanderbilt, since that's all you want to talk about when it comes to SH.

Yes I'm an advocate for Stackhouse. Dude is a good coach. You don't want him, NP. But to refuse to acknowledge the good work this brother has put into the game is really something...especially coming from UNC.

I like Wes Miller. I also think the brother is doing a fantastic job at UNCG. But IMO I think his resume, as well as his brand, is just not there-yet to pull in the level of talent that he will need to be successful at UNC.

Now can we at lease agree to disagree and move on or should I grab the vest again?

Reactions: ticket2ride04
But Davis got them to a national title game.

But Davis got them to a national championship game. Kelvin Sampson has been very successful everywhere. It was Crean, and the the mid major young hot name Archie Miller who were dumpster fires.
Yes, Davis had a lucky run with the players that everybody around the IU program expected Knight to get back to the National Championship that very year. And then after those guys were gone, Mike Davis never achieved anything else.

But even if you understand that you are still missing the main point: Myles Brand hired Davis precisely because he knew that Knight had been on the verge of replacing Davis on his staff. Brand as IU President acted knowingly to harm the program by splitting the fan base in order to tarnish Knight as much as he could. Then, when Davis had to be replaced, the post-Brand IU administration moved to hire Sampson who was known for running some questionable things and being at odds with Knight. That further divided the IU fan base even before Sampson's violations began costing IU big time.

Stack Vanderbilt Stackhouse Vanderbilt...mentions Vanderbilt ERASE everything else. PEDICTABLE! News flash: Basketball wise, Vanderbilt is as lousy as it gets...all by itself!
As for your curiosity goes 'The system' refers to Vanderbilt, since that's all you want to talk about when it comes to SH.

Yes I'm an advocate for Stackhouse. Dude is a good coach. You don't want him, NP. But to refuse to acknowledge the good work this brother has put into the game is really something...especially coming from UNC.

I like Wes Miller. I also think the brother is doing a fantastic job at UNCG. But IMO I think his resume, as well as his brand, is just not there-yet to pull in the level of talent that he will need to be successful at UNC.

Now can we at lease agree to disagree and move on or should I grab the vest again?
How ignorant are you of Vanderbilt basketball?

Are you aware that for most of its SEC history, Vandy has finished in the top 3 in attendance? Do you know that Keven Stallings, former KU assistant under Roy, had 12 post-season teams at Vandy in 17 years as HC? That 7 of those teams were in the NCAA. including Stallings' last Vandy team in 2016? That Stallings reached Sweet 16 twice - and that he was the third coach in Vandy history to get that far?

Do you know that Vandy was in the NCAA tournament in 2017?

Do you know that the majority of Vandy basketball boosters would dearly love to see Stackhouse get hired away so they do not have to fork over a buyout for a coach they never wanted?

Yeah, I don't remember how old it is. But, wouldn't you consider UCLA a blue blood?

Based on the criteria I am getting from you, there are only a handful of bluebloods in CBB. UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, and maybe Louisville? Is UConn a blueblood?
UNC, Duke, KU, and UK are the obvious ones. I'd consider UCLA one as well due to all the titles, but their recent performance has had them slip close to out (although a FF this year helps). Indiana was one but has since lost that status, so I'd say IU, Michigan State, and Louisville are the next tier down just outside of blue blood status. UConn had a great 15 year run but outside of that have been nothing so they're not even in that tier.

Are you aware that for most of its SEC history, Vandy has finished in the top 3 in attendance? Do you know that Keven Stallings, former KU assistant under Roy, had 12 post-season teams at Vandy in 17 years as HC? That 7 of those teams were in the NCAA. including Stallings' last Vandy team in 2016? That Stallings reached Sweet 16 twice - and that he was the third coach in Vandy history to get that far?

Do you know that the majority of Vandy basketball boosters would dearly love to see Stackhouse get hired away so they do not have to fork over a buyout for a coach they never wanted?
Exactly. Vandy football is 100x harder to win at then Vandy basketball. No one brings up how hard it is to win at Vandy bb the way they do football. He'll look at the baseball program. Its prob tops or top 3 in the country. They've had some really good years the last 20 or so years with Stallings and what u mentioned. Dude is just in love with Stackhouse. What brand does he even have? People say MJ played so long ago that kids don't even know him as much. when was JS last good in the NBA like 2005? Recruits never even saw him play either and he wasn't even a brand itself while he was good.

Reactions: Heelicious

Ok my badd Vanderbilt is a big time basketball program and Stack has failed to bring them back to their glory days. Shame on SH. You don't want him as UNC coach NP. Done.

But why are you so willing to focus all energy on Wes Miller when there are so many other folks that we should be pushing for? Instead of putting in the work to be successful in this highly demanding era, you are only lazy-looking down the road at Greensboro.

Last edited:
All those wins, including 5 NCAA Championships, say otherwise.

What is IU? A Blue Blood that got very stupid in firing its best coach ever and then kept compounding that bad decision by hiring people that Knight disliked (including Mike Davis as his replacement). IU's administration just kept reopening the wounds while calling on Knight to be reasonable, and it ripped the boosters and general fans apart.

And who benefitted? Purdue, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio St, and Wisconsin.
Hard to argue IU is still a blue blood, when their last natty was 1987, 34 years ago. At one time? Yes. But in my opinion, the bloom is long since off the rose at Bloomington. Very similar to State College's lack of relevance. Nattys in 74 and 83 are too far in the past for the program to claim much relevane now.

I do not think Mark Few is leaving Gonzaga.
Agreed. IF they win it all as the first undefeated team since 76, then maybe - JUST MAYBE - there is the tiniest sliver of thought that he might want a new challenge. However, I just don't see it happening.

I hope some of the chatter about Stevens is true though. That would be a GRAND SLAM hire.

Saw someone else sum this up perfectly and should tell you all you need to know about who the right guy should be

“Carolina basketball should always be about more than winning championships, BUT it should never be about less”

get the coach thats going to give you the best chance to win championships Bubba

Saw someone else sum this up perfectly and should tell you all you need to know about who the right guy should be

“Carolina basketball should always be about more than winning championships, BUT it should never be about less”

get the coach thats going to give you the best chance to win championships Bubba
Completely agree

Reactions: keysersosay#1
Ok my badd Vanderbilt is a big time basketball program and Stack has failed to bring them back to their glory days. Shame on SH. You don't want him as UNC coach NP. Done.

But why are you so willing to focus all energy on Wes Miller when there are so many other folks that we should be pushing for? Instead of putting in the work to be successful in this highly demanding era, you are only lazy-looking down the road at Greensboro.
Vandy is not a basketball giant. Vandy is an SEC middle of the road program in terms of Ws, but a top tier SEC program in terms of fans. It has had good success in this century.

I am not focusing any energy on Wes Miller. UNC should turn to him only if it has exhausted overtures to Few, Stevens, Wright, and Donovan. UNC should have been inquiring yesterday if Porter Moser might be interested in pursuing the job. He has worked a miracle at Loyola and could do wonders for OU. Chris Holtman should be approached.

If none of those pan out, then, yes, I would take Wes Miller over any other UNC former player because Wes has meaningful HC experience. My advice to him would be that his first move should be to make CB McGrath his Associate HC. The UNC staff fell into full mediocrity when McGrath left.

This is it! Hire the best we can! Best job in college basketball so we could get someone that would make a splash! Later down the road we can look into Miller, I like him a lot and think he will be great! I think we could hire better right now

Agreed. IF they win it all as the first undefeated team since 76, then maybe - JUST MAYBE - there is the tiniest sliver of thought that he might want a new challenge. However, I just don't see it happening.

I hope some of the chatter about Stevens is true though. That would be a GRAND SLAM hire.
And I guess I am just exact opposite. I think he would be more inclined to leave if they lost and never won one there.

Well, just when we thought losing Kessler was the hardest blow...

Levelle Moten, see folks laughing that off but I don't think many here actually realize how close Moten has been to the UNC program for a long time now, he is almost considered UNC family. Just think this may be to big a challenge for Levelle.

Thank goodness Baddour is not longer our AD!!! Well this is no longer a 1 day question because today is that some day. My #1 choice would have been Beard but Texas got him, man, why could that not have waited a week? LOL Scott Drew, yeah, could get behind that. Oates could be interesting but I just really do not like that never take a mid range shot stuff. Tony Bennett, for sure winner but I don't see him leaving UVa now that he has got them to the top of the ACC.

But the in family guys and I do not think there are but 3 that will get a serious look, Hubert, Wes, and Steve. Steve had his shot with FSU, did not go well, HOPE we don't put him in the position to remind us all how bad it did go at FSU.

Wes Miller, outstanding up and coming coach but I have said in the past, UNC-G is not UNC, UNC-G is not nearly the pressure cooker that our job is, that kind of pressure can either forge a young talented head coach in to a legendary head coach or it can destroy a coaches career, as it did to Matt, do we roll the dice and hope? Wes does recruit in our footprint now so that would give him an advantage in that respect, you play in the league you play in and to take your program to the top of that league and keep them there, to have them annual NCAAT entrants, could not ask him to do more. I would prefer he coach at a major program first just to see if he can hang with the big boys, he is a big fish in a little pond now, how big a fish is he is the biggest pond?

Hubert Davis, well Hubert has been coaching the JV team, which is UNCs version of a spring board to a head coaching gig elsewhere. Hubert has as well been much more involved in recruiting last few years, he has been the guy making initial contact to many of the kids we have brought in, Roy has listened to Hubert's thoughts I would suggest more than any of his other coaches. My 2 concerns with Hubert, first of course is I would much rather have seen him head coach elsewhere and see how he does on his own, still a problem in my mind. But second, I would prefer Steve to sail on with Roy, no offense to the man but I don't see him as a real key staff member outside of his absolute loyality to Roy. I would like to see a staff shake up.

What could be a very interesting way for this to go would be hire Hubert as head coach, bring back Phil Ford as his seasoned top assistant, takes us back to more the Dean Smith roots more than staying with the I hate zone so we don't teach it stuff Roy was so hard headed about. Hubert does a great job in the recruits homes, families love him so he does give you some of that "trust" Roy take. But having the legendary Phil Ford beside him, well that is instant basketball cred right there ESPECIALLY for high school coaches within our footprint! Fill out the staff with Rasheed Wallace and Kendal (but wouldn't it be interesting if we had VC on our side lines). You are talking about assistants that not only relate to the kids now days but have big time ball cred !
I would love to see Phil Ford on the bench again.

My personal opinion is that the right guy (Few, Stevens, Few, Wes, Holtmann, etc) becomes a son in the Family. He’s got to be smart enough to pay homage and leverage the best of Carolina culture to get top recruits and carve out his own legacy in Heels lore. Dean and Roy established a program bigger than themselves. It needs to be in the hands of the right coach, and that does not necessarily have to be a Carolina guy.

I think we can mark Wright off the list (this comes as a shock to no one I'm sure)

Now lets get Few/Stevens

I'll pass on anything Katz says.
I will support whoever Carolina hires 100%.

With that being said, for some reason Hubert as the coach just doesnt do it for me. Idk why, just seems like a hire that says "eh, no one else was available". Harsh? Possibly but its how I feel.

Reactions: gd15nc
Ed Cota approves of Stack

“Well i KNOW it’s still a bit shocking about Roy’s Retirement but i keep getting asked WHO should be the NEXT B-Ball HC at the Best University on Earth and MY FIRST CHOICE is #CLEAR, i dont want to hear We gonna “step out of the box” and go get (Brad) STEVENS or (Billy) DONOVAN (2 great coaches) I’m NOT trying to hear none of that Nonsense We need to continue the Tradition and keep it in the “FAMILY” as we always #PREACHING … My Guy @jerrystackhouse42 is a GREAT choice Checks ALL the boxes and I Hope he gets a fair Crack at It … I Do have some other TARHEELS in mind but STACK is MY CHOICE the #END …!! Wes Miller Assistant coach My Favorite Heel George Lynch Assistant coach @iam_sheeeeeed (Rasheed Wallace) Assistant Coach @jmacacademy0 (Jeffrey McInnis) Assistant Coach and EVERYTHING is Covered “My Wishful Thinking” …. All in Favor say #AMEN”

Also apparently the athletic director at Vandy that hired Stackhouse is a UNC alum and Roy was big cheerleader of hiring Stack.

Ed Cota approves of Stack

“Well i KNOW it’s still a bit shocking about Roy’s Retirement but i keep getting asked WHO should be the NEXT B-Ball HC at the Best University on Earth and MY FIRST CHOICE is #CLEAR, i dont want to hear We gonna “step out of the box” and go get (Brad) STEVENS or (Billy) DONOVAN (2 great coaches) I’m NOT trying to hear none of that Nonsense We need to continue the Tradition and keep it in the “FAMILY” as we always #PREACHING … My Guy @jerrystackhouse42 is a GREAT choice Checks ALL the boxes and I Hope he gets a fair Crack at It … I Do have some other TARHEELS in mind but STACK is MY CHOICE the #END …!! Wes Miller Assistant coach My Favorite Heel George Lynch Assistant coach @iam_sheeeeeed (Rasheed Wallace) Assistant Coach @jmacacademy0 (Jeffrey McInnis) Assistant Coach and EVERYTHING is Covered “My Wishful Thinking” …. All in Favor say #AMEN”

Also apparently the athletic director at Vandy that hired Stackhouse is a UNC alum and Roy was big cheerleader of hiring Stack.
Yea apparently the people that Bubba reached out to, they all pretty much had Stackhouse in their top 5. Obviously that was on Twitter so who knows.

Both Stackhouse and Hubert would be hiring way below what the school is capable of. It would be a desperate attempt to keep it in the family and would end badly in 3 or 4 years.

Totally agree..sounds like we’re heading that way unfortunately

Seriously?
For Brad Stevens, I meant. Brad Stevens has a love for Indiana... he's from Indiana, his wife is a Hoosier grad. And, Indiana does have a legacy and he could bring them back to glory. So, if he has no interest in Indiana, I'm not sure why UNC would be any more of a draw to go back to the college ranks. I'm trying to be objective here.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT