ADVERTISEMENT

Next HC

Do not be surprised if no coach is named by Monday afternoon that Mark Few decides to come East for a new challenge after his Zags win the championship on Monday night.

Do not be surprised if no coach is named by Monday afternoon that Mark Few decides to come East for a new challenge after his Zags win the championship on Monday night.
Oh I'll be surprised alright.

By all accounts, the next coach will be one of the following three:

Wes
Hubert
Stackhouse

When you look around at other teams message boards to see what they’re saying and you find posters hoping UNC hires Davis because it’d be a major fail is pretty telling. Like one guy said, if any other big name school had an opening, Davis would not be considered or even on their list of candidates. It was be an incredibly underwhelming hire.

I don't recall. I see where you're coming from. I still say UCLA is a blueblood... even though there's not much blood anymore. Louisville with Denny Crum was really good.

And, I the only reason Duke is there is Coach K. Same as Wooden at UCLA, except K is still coaching. And, compared to Wooden, the others are in his rear-view. Coach K has more wins, but he's been coaching for 40 years now, with longer seasons. When he retires, I don't expect them to maintain that level at all.
Not to get too technical or literal but if one were to follow the strict definition of blue blood I think it goes back to European royalty, kings, queens, princes, etc - blood lineage to the crown. Those with blood lineage are blue bloods. So you could say basketball blue blood blood programs / coaches would have to have lo have lineage /.connections to other royalty programs and be consistently successful.

by this definition I’d call the true beginning royalty blue bloods KU, UK,Ucla, Indiana. That’s it for original blue blood royalty blood lines. You could say Duke / k is blue blood via Indiana / knight. Several programs have coaches that are branches off the Kentucky tree - pit imo,Donovan, etc. turgeon from Ku - several assistants from K and from Roy / Dean. I don’t know of a lot of college coaches today or in last 20 years that are part of the Indiana or UCLA lineage though.

Not to get too technical or literal but if one were to follow the strict definition of blue blood I think it goes back to European royalty, kings, queens, princes, etc - blood lineage to the crown. Those with blood lineage are blue bloods. So you could say basketball blue blood blood programs / coaches would have to have lo have lineage /.connections to other royalty programs and be consistently successful.

by this definition I’d call the true beginning royalty blue bloods KU, UK,Ucla, Indiana. That’s it for original blue blood royalty blood lines. You could say Duke / k is blue blood via Indiana / knight. Several programs have coaches that are branches off the Kentucky tree - pit imo,Donovan, etc. turgeon from Ku - several assistants from K and from Roy / Dean. I don’t know of a lot of college coaches today or in last 20 years that are part of the Indiana or UCLA lineage though.
Well then, you can't get any more BLUE-BLOOD than UNC, considering...
James Naismith invented basketball in 1891; coached Phog Allen at Kansas in early 1900's.
Phog Allen was coaching Kansas in the 50's when Dean Smith was one of his players.
Dean, then Roy have a direct lineage back to the origins of the freakin' game!

Last edited:
When you look around at other teams message boards to see what they’re saying and you find posters hoping UNC hires Davis because it’d be a major fail is pretty telling. Like one guy said, if any other big name school had an opening, Davis would not be considered or even on their list of candidates. It was be an incredibly underwhelming hire.
He is not listed on small school list?????

At this point I’m thinking Jerry Stackhouse is going to be the next HC at UNC. For those that say he couldn’t get it going at Vandy, well, that’s not such an easy task. If I’m not mistaken he inherited a team that was 0-18 in the SEC? His 2nd year was during COVID. Not exactly the best set of circumstances. I guess I say give him a shot and let’s see what happens.

I don't see Mark Few coming to UNC.. He would have to deal with boosters and a totally different recruiting zone in the East coast. He knows how to assemble college talent at Gonzaga and make deep tourney runs on a regular basis, but he might not be able to replicate it at UNC who will want NBA talent. He has the perfect setup for success where he's at and it will be hard to lure him away IMHO

wait, so bubba is accepting the advice and listening to a hof coach recommend stackhouse?

i mean, i love jerry, who doesn’t?...without a doubt the best fighter unc has ever had(if you followed the career and the stories from other nba players), but this job at this point in his career?...i just don’t see it, right now.

Reactions: Heelicious
I don't see Mark Few coming to UNC.. He would have to deal with boosters and a totally different recruiting zone in the East coast. He knows how to assemble college talent at Gonzaga and make deep tourney runs on a regular basis, but he might not be able to replicate it at UNC who will want NBA talent. He has the perfect setup for success where he's at and it will be hard to lure him away IMHO
He may not come to UNC but it’s because he has a dream gig and loves the northwest and is likely a king there

Regarding recruiting- hard to think of a better name to draw recruits. He is getting 4 and 5 stars and transfers from all over the nation.

And he wouldn’t be the sole entity recruiting at UNC. I assume all the big time recruiters at UNC would still play a big part - Roy, Hubert, other past players and coaches and connections etc. Best (clean) network in all of college basketball

At this point I’m thinking Jerry Stackhouse is going to be the next HC at UNC. For those that say he couldn’t get it going at Vandy, well, that’s not such an easy task. If I’m not mistaken he inherited a team that was 0-18 in the SEC? His 2nd year was during COVID. Not exactly the best set of circumstances. I guess I say give him a shot and let’s see what happens.
I just think that Jerry is more suited for the NBA game, I also think if he came to UNC he might jump back to the NBA.JMO

Reactions: Heelicious
Correct. Not only would Kentucky not have a Hubert Davis or Jerry Stackhouse or even Wes Miller on its short list, but neither would Louisville. IU wouldn't and neither would Purdue nor Notre Dame. Neither would Michigan St nor Michigan.

FSU would not risk its hard earned high level of basketball competitiveness by replacing Leonard Hamilton with a Hubert Davis or Jerry Stackhouse.

Any financial-based insights to this situation? IIRC, the general consensus was that Coach Williams was significantly underpaid (purposely to help the university).

If the Heels are able to get top-tier, will they be ready (and willing) to pay what the market demands, which may be 2-4 times what was given to Coach Williams?

Would this lean the decision toward someone who isn't as proven (like in the family)?

Who else then? Everything I have seen said its likely between Hubert and Wes. Stackhouse is being interviewed today.

Few/Stevens/Wright are loooooong shots.

Who's next?
Well, if I were Bubba I would be very interested in talking to Scott Drew. He inherited one of the worst messes in college basketball history at Baylor, which had a very poor history all the way back to 1950. Drew had to deal with NCAA sanctions and an awful reputation. He cleaned house in every sense and has built a big winner against all the odds.

He also comes from a class act coaching family. He could fit very well in Chapel Hill, and he could win right off the bat. His teams all can shoot and all play good D. His teams are unselfish.

The calls for Few, Donovan, Wright, Stevens are all fine and good, but there is nothing that shows any interest in their part. I may say I would like to marry Ms. America, but I doubt she has any interest. The Nate Oates tier of "outsiders" is what you need to focus on if you do not want Wes, Stack, or Hubert.

As I've said on here, Vandy boosters are all praying that UNC is stupid enough to hire Stackhouse so they do not have to buy him out next year.

The calls for Few, Donovan, Wright, Stevens are all fine and good, but there is nothing that shows any interest in their part. I may say I would like to marry Ms. America, but I doubt she has any interest. The Nate Oates tier of "outsiders" is what you need to focus on if you do not want Wes, Stack, or Hubert.
I'm not saying they have interest, but if they do it's not something that would be made public.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
In order for Stevens to take the job he would have to resign from the Celtics. Until that breaking news hits I dont think Stevens is the guy.

Do you see Drew in that tier? If not, then I'd say that Chris Holtmann and Eric Musselman should be at the top of the list.

Any financial-based insights to this situation? IIRC, the general consensus was that Coach Williams was significantly underpaid (purposely to help the university).

If the Heels are able to get top-tier, will they be ready (and willing) to pay what the market demands, which may be 2-4 times what was given to Coach Williams?

Would this lean the decision toward someone who isn't as proven (like in the family)?
I doubt money would be an issue unless it was a ridiculous amount.

Haven’t seen ya on these boards in a long time. Good to see ya posting

Reactions: KeeLo
In order for Stevens to take the job he would have to resign from the Celtics. Until that breaking news hits I dont think Stevens is the guy.
Well, the Celtics are the #8 team in the Eastern and the Bulls are #10. Neither guy has show that he can be as big in NBA hoops as he has been in college hoops.

Reactions: uncfootball-
Brad Stevens my sources say. I have reliable sources I’ll say. Tuesday presser
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT