ADVERTISEMENT

Next HC

Bubba said the hire will be soon. I think it is Wes or Davis IMO.

If being from the UNC family isnt a requirement and Billy Donovan is interested I don’t know how this is even a discussion

went to a football school during its golden era and took over a basketball program with virtually zero history and turned them into a powerhouse. 4 final fours, 2 titles, played and coached in the NBA (and actually had success coaching in the NBA)

and hes only 55. This could be our Nick Saban to Alabama hire
I think it's a moot point. Donovan is a helluva coach, but he is at the top level and I do not think there is any desire to go back down to the college level.

The case for Hubert Davis:
• Man of integrity and character
• Assistant UNC coach since 2012, including 2 Final Fours & 1 title
• Continuity with current staff, players, recruits, and potential transfers
• NBA experience as a player, including playing for Knicks under Pat Riley
• Media experience with ESPN, where he is still well-regarded
• 50 years old, so could be a long-term hire
• Black, which is important to some, and could benefit recruiting

The case against Hubert Davis:
• No head coaching experience at any level
• Continuity with current staff seen by some as a negative
• Questions about passion, "fire in the belly" for the job
• Opportunity cost: could there be someone better out there?

Anything to add to either list?

Off the top of my head...I would add that he also played for Dean Smith.

The case for Hubert Davis:
• Man of integrity and character
• Assistant UNC coach since 2012, including 2 Final Fours & 1 title
• Continuity with current staff, players, recruits, and potential transfers
• NBA experience as a player, including playing for Knicks under Pat Riley
• Media experience with ESPN, where he is still well-regarded
• 50 years old, so could be a long-term hire
• Black, which is important to some, and could benefit recruiting

The case against Hubert Davis:
• No head coaching experience at any level
• Continuity with current staff seen by some as a negative
• Questions about passion, "fire in the belly" for the job
• Opportunity cost: could there be someone better out there?

Anything to add to either list?
Huberts NBA connections, reputation, experience recruiting blue chip level talent and knowing that dynamic blending their college/pro aspirations.

Hubert has no HC experience, but but his loyalty to the program will be strongly considered. I don’t see a problem talking to Hubert and Wes and reaching out to Few, Wright, and Donovan to gauge interest. Coaches know how important Carolina values family. Other coaches would welcome interest from UNC. Stevens should get a call as well. The game has changed with the oad’s, and the transfer policy. I agree with others who say that the wrong hire will really set us back. I hope the powers to be do their due diligence with this hire, and hire the best candidate for the job.

Reactions: John_Mexico
He is the best coach in UNCG history. But it is only UNCG. If he had that plus back to back to back NCAA tourney teams from an AAC school, at least one them getting to the Sweet Sixteen, I'd be very happy with Wes.
You see glass half empty, I see glass half full.
I reckon Wes has overachieved, proving he can build a program, turn around a culture and instill his work ethic.
those are the values which are needed at UNC. The program needs his connection to players, his drive and energy.
And, if he’s smart and leans on the available help he’ll succeed.

Hubert did not pursue coaching as a career. He was asked to be an assistant by Roy. Some are born to coach.

We we’re lucky to have 2 of the top 5 coaches in history. What are the chances UNC will have 3 of the top 6 coaches in history?
If UNC lures a winner from a different program....most likely the carolina family tradition will fade. Other programs do not have a true family culture. It was cultivated by Dean and Roy meticulously. Top dogs from other programs will carry with them their way of doing things.
I wonder which is more important to Carolina fans.....champions or the carolina family tradition?
Recruiting a top tier coach to bring in 3 chips in 10 years (coach verson of 10 and done)
or keep in-house, keep the family intact and win 1 chip in 12 years, hypothetically.

Reactions: John_Mexico
I expect that there may be a few head coaches that will maybe pick up the phone and call Bubba. It would be interesting to know who those coaches might be. I haven't a clue as to who would want the job or who would be the best one for the job. Sentimentally speaking I would love to see Stack, Wes, or King Rice come in and keep the beat going on and more. I am iffy about Hubert because I have no idea about his coaching skills.
It seems that Bubba is not committed to keeping the HC job "in the family and wants to get the process over fairly quickly, so I am just going to sit back and see how the chips fall.

Glenn

Stack House. Period!

Folks like it or not basketball is rapidly changing and the Calipari's, the coach k's....and yes, the Roy Williams of the world their era is coming to an end. If Cal didn't sell NBA dreams he probably would've been gone long time ago. Lol. Can’t be madd at Cal though, it worked! As they say, don't hate the player hate the game!

Imo no matter how good of a coach you may be if you don't *ALSO* have the name brand to draw top talent (and sorry but Wes Miller doesn't do that for me) top level kids of today will not come. However, a person that has popularity splash, really good coaching skills, and you combine that with an Ultra-Elite-Program such as UNC - Look Out!

Hey, disagree all you want to but UNC vs Michigan - Stack House vs Juwan Howard. Epic!

Coach k would instantly become the odd man out. He would disappear overnight w/that type of youth and name power in the coach game!

And Please Please stop stop saying Hubert Davis! Just No!! Nice man i'm sure but HD has never shown any fire in the belly to be a head coach.

Right now UNC is in Extreme High Visibility Mode, the basketball super talented are all looking this way. Make a super splash with Jerry Stack House, or go with Wes Miller? Asking for a friend.

Last edited:
I think it's a moot point. Donovan is a helluva coach, but he is at the top level and I do not think there is any desire to go back down to the college level.
People who feared Nick Saban not coaching their team said the same thing about him when he was with the Dolphins.

Hubert has no HC experience, but but his loyalty to the program will be strongly considered. I don’t see a problem talking to Hubert and Wes and reaching out to Few, Wright, and Donovan to gauge interest. Coaches know how important Carolina values family. Other coaches would welcome interest from UNC. Stevens should get a call as well. The game has changed with the oad’s, and the transfer policy. I agree with others who say that the wrong hire will really set us back. I hope the powers to be do their due diligence with this hire, and hire the best candidate for the job.
John Bunting had great loyalty to UNC and the program.

John Bunting had great loyalty to UNC and the program.
Good point. I’m not advocating for Hubert, but imo, he is the leading candidate right now. I know what Bubba said but if Roy wants Hubert, that’s going to weigh on Bubba’s mind. I want a broad search to include the best coaches in the country. I also want to take a hard look at Hubert too because Roy was an assistant too before landing the Kansas job.

get few out of your head...it’s not him.

miller, stevens, donovan, turgeon...go
Roy has been very close to Mark Turgeon, and Roy clearly has thought for a long time that Turgeon is the type to run a major program. Nor is Roy the only person near the UNC program who thinks very highly of Turgeon.

And on top of that we now have Turgeon backing away from the OU job, which would take him back to his home area (KS native who played at KU for Larry Brown). One line of thought on Turgeon is that because he is well known for being one of the Good Guys (meaning honest) he might not move until he sees if KU gets rid of dirty Bill Self. But there are people who think that because of Turgeon's ties to Roy that if he offered the UNC job he will take it.

Neither Stevens nor Donovan will return to college basketball unless it is to one of the small few top programs. Either would be a home run hire; each is well worth pursuing.

One of the funny things for me is seeing how many people who have fits of disbelief when UNC can't land a Top 5 recruiting class and belittle even 4* recruits who can't sniff the McDonalds game would be quite happy with what amounts to a 3*, maybe even 2*, coaching hire.

I feel like Wes may have an inside track on the possible replacement but is he ready for this job. This is the best job in college basketball bar none. Big difference in UNCG and UNC. If it’s him best of luck and continue the success we are accustomed to. No pressure btw.

Reactions: uncfootball-
Ok another thought. We have had success with head coaches with ties to Kansas some way or another so maybe we look there again.....but not bill self. Downside of that could be hiring a former Kansas player could always give them an audition for later becoming the next coach of Kansas if they are successful here. Thank God I don’t have to make this decision. We will say a prayer for ya Bubba. Dick Baddour finally got it right even though it took two tries only because Roy said no once. I guess one could say Dean got it right since he was the one who asked Roy to come home because we need ya. Don’t screw it up bubba. This hire could give us insight as to how the search for a football coach later on could go.

Although some may want a name like Few or Wright I just feel like that may not really be an option. Primarily because will they continue the “Carolina Way” and promote the “Carolina Family” atmosphere?

Although some may want a name like Few or Wright I just feel like that may not really be an option. Primarily because will they continue the “Carolina Way” and promote the “Carolina Family” atmosphere?

They aren't an option because they aren't leaving their respective programs. That's first and foremost.

A couple of things. One, what makes you think they won't and two, what makes you think they have that choice? The family atmosphere comes from the former players, not a start on senior night. As long as they keep doing what they've been doing, everything will be fine.

A couple of things. One, what makes you think they won't and two, what makes you think they have that choice? The family atmosphere comes from the former players, not a start on senior night. As long as they keep doing what they've been doing, everything will be fine.

Not an option because they aren’t Carolina guys and plus they have a pretty good thing where they are already. Will an outsider be willing to invest in the Carolina family? Not sure how other coaches run their programs especially after the players leave. The door at UNC seems to be always open for the guys to come back for whatever reason. I just don’t get that feeling from all the other coaches and or universities. Family is real big deal within the walls and city limits of CH. sure it’s the players that makes up the Carolina family but it starts with the coach making them feel like they are family and important to him outside of winning games. Can’t say that about everybody (some real close to us too). Hope that answers your questions if not I’ll try again.

Stack House. Period!

Folks like it or not basketball is rapidly changing and the Calipari's, the coach k's....and yes, the Roy Williams of the world their era is coming to an end. If Cal didn't sell NBA dreams he probably would've been gone long time ago. Lol. Can’t be madd at Cal though, it worked! As they say, don't hate the player hate the game!

Imo no matter how good of a coach you may be if you don't *ALSO* have the name brand to draw top talent (and sorry but Wes Miller doesn't do that for me) top level kids of today will not come. However, a person that has popularity splash, really good coaching skills, and you combine that with an Ultra-Elite-Program such as UNC - Look Out!

Hey, disagree all you want to but UNC vs Michigan - Stack House vs Juwan Howard. Epic!

Coach k would instantly become the odd man out. He would disappear overnight w/that type of youth and name power in the coach game!

And Please Please stop stop saying Hubert Davis! Just No!! Nice man i'm sure but HD has never shown any fire in the belly to be a head coach.

Right now UNC is in Extreme High Visibility Mode, the basketball super talented are all looking this way. Make a super splash with Jerry Stack House, or go with Wes Miller? Asking for a friend.

Jerry Stackouse talk is getting old.

Jerry Stackouse talk is getting old.

Not to young talented kids. Its a new era. Kids are now gravitating towards locations that has ex-greats as head coaches- someone they can relate to. A UNC / Stackhouse combo would be an instant sell!

If 'Old' Board members decide to do business as usual and are unwilling to make changes that best fit this era, UNC will become just another 'Old' brink and mortar right along with them.

Last edited:
the whole thought that if we go outside the family, the Carolina Way will lose it's luster is complete BS. the cornerstone of our coaching tree was a Kansas grad, and we tried to run him out after a year or 2, and luckily he hung in there and went on to be one of the all time greats. We've shown that even when we hire within, if you aren't running the program the Carolina Way, we will can your ass (Doherty), so what makes you think we wouldn't do it to an outsider if we didn't like the fit. this is big business. If we make the wrong hire, we will punt pretty quickly and make sure we get it right the 2nd time. Kind of like we did with Roy.

Roy has been very close to Mark Turgeon, and Roy clearly has thought for a long time that Turgeon is the type to run a major program. Nor is Roy the only person near the UNC program who thinks very highly of Turgeon.

And on top of that we now have Turgeon backing away from the OU job, which would take him back to his home area (KS native who played at KU for Larry Brown). One line of thought on Turgeon is that because he is well known for being one of the Good Guys (meaning honest) he might not move until he sees if KU gets rid of dirty Bill Self. But there are people who think that because of Turgeon's ties to Roy that if he offered the UNC job he will take it.

Neither Stevens nor Donovan will return to college basketball unless it is to one of the small few top programs. Either would be a home run hire; each is well worth pursuing.

One of the funny things for me is seeing how many people who have fits of disbelief when UNC can't land a Top 5 recruiting class and belittle even 4* recruits who can't sniff the McDonalds game would be quite happy with what amounts to a 3*, maybe even 2*, coaching hire.
Easy pass on Turg... I live in MD and MD fans want him gone.. Great guy .. Good recruiter.. but his teams constantly under perform with this year being the exception

And the DMing fans on Twitter thing is wild. If he's losing his cool at Vandy - a school that no one cares about - how could he deal with the pressure of coaching at Carolina? Stack may kill it here but if he didn't, it would end uglier than it did for Doh.

And the DMing fans on Twitter thing is wild. If he's losing his cool at Vandy - a school that no one cares about - how could he deal with the pressure of coaching at Carolina? Stack may kill it here but if he didn't, it would end uglier than it did for Doh.

Yeah, we don't want Stack...

Reactions: uncfootball-

Well right now we live in a cancel culture but it seems to be going only in one direction.

Not to young talented kids. Its a new era. Kids are now gravitating towards locations that has ex-greats as head coaches- someone they can relate to. A UNC / Stackhouse combo would be an instant sell!

If 'Old' Board members decide to do business as usual and are unwilling to make changes that best fit this era, UNC will become just another 'Old' brink and mortar right along with them.
I have seen little if any mention of Stackhouse in any media or inside the UNC circles, beyond your advocacy.

So players are lured to UNC because they remember Stackhouse from UNC and NBA - and Stackhouse is relatively young, and maybe can relate to the kids? What does relate to them mean? Is he the players best friend, or their coach? Those two options are quite different. Roy had younger guys on staff who could serve this relate to the players role, such as Kendall, Sean May, and Hubert.

So you have an epic past player as head coach. Who BTW has not very good at all results as a HC at a pretty big basketball program. So Stack gets the HC job, flounders for several years, and blames it on racial issues....(sort of like at Vandy)....that scenario doesn't seem so epic to me.

Players / recruits want to win, and want their prospects to be developed and advanced to make a career out of basketball here or overseas. (That's what fans and boosters / donors want, too) Roy was top notch at that. I see nothing yet from Stackhouse that says he'd be good at that.

If in a few years, recruiting dries up as it did under Guthridge, because we flat out stink it up on the court....trust me no recruits are coming here, just because they get to be in the presence of some glory days version of Jerry Stackhouse as a UNC player - "epic" nostalgia stuff that no recruit today could care about in the least.

Remember Stack last played in college around 30 years ago. So 15 years before today's recruits were even born.

I have seen little if any mention of Stackhouse in any media or inside the UNC circles, beyond your advocacy.

So players are lured to UNC because they remember Stackhouse from UNC and NBA - and Stackhouse is relatively young, and maybe can relate to the kids? What does relate to them mean? Is he the players best friend, or their coach? Those two options are quite different. Roy had younger guys on staff who could serve this relate to the players role, such as Kendall, Sean May, and Hubert.

So you have an epic past player as head coach. Who BTW has not very good at all results as a HC at a pretty big basketball program. So Stack gets the HC job, flounders for several years, and blames it on racial issues....(sort of like at Vandy)....that scenario doesn't seem so epic to me.

Players / recruits want to win, and want their prospects to be developed and advanced to make a career out of basketball here or overseas. (That's what fans and boosters / donors want, too) Roy was top notch at that. I see nothing yet from Stackhouse that says he'd be good at that.

If in a few years, recruiting dries up as it did under Guthridge, because we flat out stink it up on the court....trust me no recruits are coming here, just because they get to be in the presence of some glory days version of Jerry Stackhouse as a UNC player - "epic" nostalgia stuff that no recruit today could care about in the least.

Remember Stack last played in college around 30 years ago. So 15 years before today's recruits were even born.

No disrespect but, once again, all I'm hearing in your voice (post), and many like it is a bunch of feelings and emotions some of which i think has absolutely no merit whatsoever. I mean damn, it's almost like you think Jerry Stackhouse has no intangibles at all that would suggest that he could be a great coach at UNC. Your op. NP. But no matter how you slice it this young era seems to have other ideas. Question, is it possible that there was indeed racial issues? Yes/No? Since I myself have no idea what Jerry may or may not have experienced (and I assume you don't either, but I could be wrong) that would cause him to make such claims I choose to stick with the topic at hand- replacing HOF Roy Williams.

A Jerry Stackhouse vs Juwan Howard- Epic! Stackhouse walking into Hansbrough coliseum-Epic!

Just my op bro.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT