ADVERTISEMENT

Next HC

I have never understood the argument that just because someone played basketball means they would make a good basketball coach.

Edit to say.. sort of like this. If i was a really good car salesman that doesnt mean I would be a good sales manager. The skills needed to be a sales manager are different than selling cars.

Last edited:
A Jerry Stackhouse vs Juwan Howard- Epic! Stackhouse walking into Hansbrough coliseum-Epic!

Just my op bro.

the way Juwan Howard coached the last 2 minutes of the UCLA game, he'll be lucky to keep his job. recruiting is only part of the equation, you still have to COACH.

i give a rats ass about "epic" ... i want clean winning and lots of it, period.

the way Juwan Howard coached the last 2 minutes of the UCLA game, he'll be lucky to keep his job. recruiting is only part of the equation, you still have to COACH.

Michigan losing that game was not on Howard in the last 2 minutes! They were 0-8 and missed easy shot after easy shot! Wagner had an absolutely wide open 3 at the end and air balled it..he then had another decent look with .5 to go...I don’t like Howard but he didn’t lose that game with coaching at the end

Now that was the 'Donkey of the Day Post' for sure! JH team reached freaking Elite 8 but because they didn't win it all he should be fired? Damn. smh.

Last edited:
No disrespect but, once again, all I'm hearing in your voice (post), and many like it is a bunch of feelings and emotions some of which i think has absolutely no merit whatsoever. I mean damn, it's almost like you think Jerry Stackhouse has no intangibles at all that would suggest that he could be a great coach at UNC. Your op. NP. But no matter how you slice it this young era seems to have other ideas. Question, is it possible that there was indeed racial issues? Yes/No? Since I myself have no idea what Jerry may or may not have experienced (and I assume you don't either, but I could be wrong) that would cause him to make such claims I choose to stick with the topic at hand- replacing HOF Roy Williams.

A Jerry Stackhouse vs Juwan Howard- Epic! Stackhouse walking into Hansbrough coliseum-Epic!

Just my op bro.
Is it possible for you to hire a promoter to arrange a game of 1-on-1 between Stack and Howard. I think I've seen you mention it on the boards here about 550 times. The likelihood of the two of them ever meeting wouldn't be very high. And factoring of meeting with Howard into his coaching prowess or appeal is pretty useless.

The case for Hubert Davis:
• Man of integrity and character
• Assistant UNC coach since 2012, including 2 Final Fours & 1 title
• Continuity with current staff, players, recruits, and potential transfers
• NBA experience as a player, including playing for Knicks under Pat Riley
• Media experience with ESPN, where he is still well-regarded
• 50 years old, so could be a long-term hire
• Black, which is important to some, and could benefit recruiting

The case against Hubert Davis:
• No head coaching experience at any level
• Continuity with current staff seen by some as a negative
• Questions about passion, "fire in the belly" for the job
• Opportunity cost: could there be someone better out there?

Anything to add to either list?
Nope, except that, for me, successful head coaching experience would be part of the minimum qualifications. But if we’re willing to take that chance, I’ve no objection.

I have never understood the argument that just because someone played basketball means they would make a good basketball coach.

Edit to say.. sort of like this. If i was a really good car salesman that doesnt mean I would be a good sales manager. The skills needed to be a sales manager are different than selling cars.
And the skills needed to manage the entire business (which features the service department) are than those that can make a great sales manager, or great manager of the service department.

Is it possible for you to hire a promoter to arrange a game of 1-on-1 between Stack and Howard. I think I've seen you mention it on the boards here about 550 times. The likelihood of the two of them ever meeting wouldn't be very high. And factoring of meeting with Howard into his coaching prowess or appeal is pretty useless.

Yelp I only mention it "550" times because I'm a strong advocate for Jerry. Nothing more. Is that ok with you?

And basically with the SH vs JH thing I was only making a point of about where I think college basketball seems to be heading. Perhaps I'm wrong, I'm cool with that. Nothing to get twisted about to the point you are counting "550" post.

Im Just having fun is all.

Yelp I only mention it "550" times because I'm a strong advocate for Jerry. Nothing more. Is that ok with you?

And basically with the SH vs JH thing I was only making a point of about where I think college basketball seems to be heading. Perhaps I'm wrong, I'm cool with that. Nothing to get twisted about to the point you are counting "550" post.

Im Just having fun is all.
I'm having fun right along with you. I'm also trying to point-out that this fixation you seem to have with Stackhouse and Howard isn't very practical in terms of finding the right coach for UNC.

Wherever college basketball is heading, UNC will be right there with it. I don't think Jerry Stackhouse is ever going to be a very good COACH. He was an incredible player and a permanent member of the Tar Heel family. But, I don't think he's ever going to manage/coach a college team anywhere near the level that UNC is accustomed to and deserves! And, just because Juwon Howard had a good season isn't any guarantee that he's even going to maintain anything in the long haul. Jerry Stackhouse is a hot-head and the kind of coach that will bring as just as much controversy and difficulty as he will anything positive.

But, I do hope Vandy plays Michigan someday so you can enjoy that matchup between them.

But, I do hope Vandy plays Michigan someday so you can enjoy that matchup between them.
[/QUOTE]

LOL that was clever, Strummingram! I love it! But don't be so QUICK to underestimate what Juwan Howard has accomplished in such a shot period of time at Michigan. Yes he got his quirks; dude damn near got into a fist fight on national TV! But all coaches make stupid ass decisions at times...especially in their early career. However, to act as though his achievements this year meant absolutely nothing is quite frankly ridiculous.

Yes it will be hard to repeat reaching Elite8 again...hell its hard for everyone else! But he did do it this year and therefore there is no reason he cant next year- unless of course you know otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarwhiz
Is anyone’s ceiling as high as our expectations are? Real candidates, not the dumb Stevens and Few pipe dreams.

I think Wes’ ceiling is the highest. He’s 38 and he’s won consistently. We know he can coach.
Exactly. There will NEVER BE another DES and as close as we'd get would have been Roy. I'd rather bring in another Carolina Way coach who has potential and become a fixture than hire a mercenary.

Reactions: uncfanatic

LOL that was cleaver, Strummingram! I love it! But don't be so QUICK to underestimate what Juwan Howard has accomplished in such a shot period of time at Michigan. Yes he got his quirks; dude damn near got into a fist fight on national TV! But all coaches make stupid ass decisions at times...especially in their early career. However, to act as though his achievements this year meant absolutely nothing is quite frankly ridiculous.

Yes it will be hard to repeat reaching Elite8 again...hell its hard for everyone else! But he did do it this year and therefore there is no reason he cant next year- unless of course you know otherwise.
I think I might like Cleaver Strummingram! That's catchy... has a nice ring to it! Learn to use the quote function, first.

I never remotely implied that his achievements this year "meant nothing." It obviously means a lot to you. I bet they sell Block-M gear in Kinston somewhere, I'm sure! There's always Amazon, if they don't!

You mentioned another example of his inadequacy. The ejection from the Big 10 tourney game, because he was ready to get into a physical fight with Mark Turgeon is precisely why he's a liability. And, in his post-game PC he justifies it with comments like "I was raised on the streets of Chicago..." He's ready to lose his composure, have a rumble on national TV, because his ego is so fragile. He's never actually matured from that state of mind. That whole Fab 5 persona was a seed that was planted decades ago that has evolved into many of the negative issues we're dealing with in the present-day game. The players are in control, not the coaches. I'll pass on Howard, for now, thank you.

I don’t like Howard but he didn’t lose that game with coaching at the end

they needed ONE POINT and were taking stupid shots. a good coach calls a timeout (they had one) and resets things before it's too late. he's largely at fault, as are the players.

FYI, Roy was traditionally (IMO) a terrible late game coach.

Exactly. There will NEVER BE another DES and as close as we'd get would have been Roy. I'd rather bring in another Carolina Way coach who has potential and become a fixture than hire a mercenary.

For the most part I agree with you brother. I also would rather that we bring in a Carolina Way coach, but someone who is also willing to blaze his on trail. Times have changed drastically in the landscape of college basketball and at some point UNC must be willing to adapt and meet that challenge. Not run away from our brand, but someone who is willing to add to it is what I'm saying.

just my op.

they needed ONE POINT and were taking stupid shots. a good coach calls a timeout (they had one) and resets things before it's too late. he's largely at fault, as are the players.

FYI, Roy was traditionally (IMO) a terrible late game coach.

He had a flashback to ‘93, he wasn’t sure he had one. Visions of Chris Webber were flying through his head.

Of course coaching smarts/experience/hard work are all needed for a program to excel. But in these days if you don't recruit and snag the right players all that said before falls short. So recruiting strengths are going to be extremely important in our next hire.

If being from the UNC family isnt a requirement and Billy Donovan is interested I don’t know how this is even a discussion

went to a football school during its golden era and took over a basketball program with virtually zero history and turned them into a powerhouse. 4 final fours, 2 titles, played and coached in the NBA (and actually had success coaching in the NBA)

and hes only 55. This could be our Nick Saban to Alabama hire
Lack of intergity

Michigan losing that game was not on Howard in the last 2 minutes! They were 0-8 and missed easy shot after easy shot! Wagner had an absolutely wide open 3 at the end and air balled it..he then had another decent look with .5 to go...I don’t like Howard but he didn’t lose that game with coaching at the end
How about setting up a play to drive to the basket to get a layup or get fouled

Fwiw heard unc talked to Steven's and he is listening that's all unc can aske for
Hard to believe he would turn down IU and listen to UNC but he would be the home run hire. The dude grew up an IU fan, wife went to school there, dad is a fan and the family lives not far from Bloomington and he still turned them down. Just seemed like they were most likely to pry him away from Boston.

Hard to believe he would turn down IU and listen to UNC but he would be the home run hire. The dude grew up an IU fan, wife went to school there, dad is a fan and the family lives not far from Bloomington and he still turned them down. Just seemed like they were most likely to pry him away from Boston.
UNC is a better job though. If he's looking at it logically turning down IU makes sense. Especially if the UNC job was of interest to him.

It’s a huge mistake to hire within. We haven’t been great/elite in a long time for our standard.

2016 Runner Up
2017 Champs
2018 2 seed
2019 1 seed
2020 Most injuries in the history of NCAA
2021 COVID

And during the last three years our recruiting has been excellent. 2016-19 is one of the most stellar runs ever (I don't count UCLA).

Though I'm also in the camp of hiring the best coach available.

Reactions: tarwhiz
I'm not advocating for Jerry Stackhouse. I'm certainly not opposed to the school hiring him though. But, the idea that his Vandy record indicates who he is as a coach is just lazy. He coached a D-League team to a championship and had them in the championship the next year.

Rick Barnes:

“There’s not one guy on their team that hasn’t improved since when we played them, I think that’s a sign of terrific coaching. Players that want to be coached. They made it hard on everybody they played.”

STILL - Not saying this should be the hire. I'm just saying, please stop with the rhetoric that this guy can't coach. Who knows, paired with UNC he may be an incredible recruiter to go along with his coaching acumen.

Do you follow college basketball at all?
What I mean is, they're both blue blood programs.

And, stevens, being from indiana, and an Indiana native, you would think he might want to restore the Indiana legacy to what it once was.

I hope we get a new coach soon. Don’t want to rush such an important decision but the transfer portal is fertile ground at this moment but likely will be much smaller soon as it truly is a free for all.

Reactions: RP12
I hope we get a new coach soon. Don’t want to rush such an important decision but the transfer portal is fertile ground at this moment but likely will be much smaller soon as it truly is a free for all.
I agree. The t/portal window will close. If you don't get in and get what your team needs now, you will be picking from scraps sooner than you expect.

In addition to X&O's I hope they choose someone that's classy, and a good guy who cares about kids and good sportsmanship in addition to being a winner. That's one thing Dean, Gut, Doherty, Roy all had in common.

In addition to X&O's I hope they choose someone that's classy, and a good guy who cares about kids and good sportsmanship in addition to being a winner. That's one thing Dean, Gut, Doherty, Roy all had in common.
I see what you did there. 😂

I think I might like Cleaver Strummingram! That's catchy... has a nice ring to it! Learn to use the quote function, first.

I never remotely implied that his achievements this year "meant nothing." It obviously means a lot to you. I bet they sell Block-M gear in Kinston somewhere, I'm sure! There's always Amazon, if they don't!

You mentioned another example of his inadequacy. The ejection from the Big 10 tourney game, because he was ready to get into a physical fight with Mark Turgeon is precisely why he's a liability. And, in his post-game PC he justifies it with comments like "I was raised on the streets of Chicago..." He's ready to lose his composure, have a rumble on national TV, because his ego is so fragile. He's never actually matured from that state of mind. That whole Fab 5 persona was a seed that was planted decades ago that has evolved into many of the negative issues we're dealing with in the present-day game. The players are in control, not the coaches. I'll pass on Howard, for now, thank you.

Mann you have deep issues with just about anything outside of what you're use too; things that are outside of your particular circle. "Fab 5 persona", "Stackhouse will never be a good coach", "players are in control not the coaches." Not one word mention about the fact that Mark Turgeon was showing his arsh too.

What's your problem?

Mann you have deep issues with just about anything outside of what you're use too; things that are outside of your particular circle. "Fab 5 persona", "Stackhouse will never be a good coach", "players are in control not the coaches." Not one word mention about the fact that Mark Turgeon was showing his arsh too.

What's your problem?
His arsh? What's his arsh? Why are you using my statements in quotes and then projecting yourself on them? I have deep issues with what what I'm not "use" to? Most human beings have issues with what they're not USED to. I'm used to the knowledge that Stackhouse is not a very good coach, and I'm used to the knowledge that the Fab 5 were glorified, exploited and their legacy resulted in removal of their wins due to NCAA violations. Those are facts, not opinions... or my issues.

I'm not sure it's my problem, here. This back-and-forth really feels like it's much more of a YP- a Your Problem. You're the one who is obsessed with Juwon Howard, Jerry Stackhouse, they're epic showdown in your imagination, and the certainty that Stackhouse is somehow the Resurrection of UNC Basketball. If you're from Kinston, then you're probably keen on Stackhouse. You must be since you've created a new thread warning everyone how UNC and Jerry are a match made in heaven, and you couldn't get enough attention here, I guess? If anything, my problem is being foolish enough to keep interacting with you.

His arsh? What's his arsh? Why are you using my statements in quotes and then projecting yourself on them? I have deep issues with what what I'm not "use" to? Most human beings have issues with what they're not USED to. I'm used to the knowledge that Stackhouse is not a very good coach, and I'm used to the knowledge that the Fab 5 were glorified, exploited and their legacy resulted in removal of their wins due to NCAA violations. Those are facts, not opinions... or my issues.

I'm not sure it's my problem, here. This back-and-forth really feels like it's much more of a YP- a Your Problem. You're the one who is obsessed with Juwon Howard, Jerry Stackhouse, they're epic showdown in your imagination, and the certainty that Stackhouse is somehow the Resurrection of UNC Basketball. If you're from Kinston, then you're probably keen on Stackhouse. You must be since you've created a new thread warning everyone how UNC and Jerry are a match made in heaven, and you couldn't get enough attention here, I guess? If anything, my problem is being foolish enough to keep interacting with you.

Once again...not one word.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT