ADVERTISEMENT

Next HC

Can you think of any way that the job in Chapel Hill would be something he could benefit from?

All I can think of is that he MIGHT want to prove that he can coach-- and WIN consistently-- in a conference that has a lot of other higher-level talent. At Gonzaga, he's always the big fish in the little pond. Even if he won the NCAAT, he's still playing against sub-par conference teams and he knows it.

If it comes out that Mark Few is the new coach, I would be thrilled. It would be the best news since Roy's announcement to be the new head coach 18 years ago!
I don't think guys in that space think "how does this benefit me?" I think if they're alpha competitors (and most of them are), they want to take on the challenge unless there's something personal keeping them to that area.

I'm not anticipating Mark Few. I think it'll be someone with direct UNC ties. But Few wouldn't be a shock to me. Brad Stevens would. I think the Celtics job is either the best or second best with the Lakers in basketball.

He's young, he can probably adapt to the changes, long-term, better. He's been coached by the best. And, He knows what it is to be "Carolina."
I'm coming around to Wes more. Get a stud recruiter on staff, a more experienced X n Os coach, and few former players ( keep May n Marshall).

After reading 7 pages of opinions mine is the same:

Wes.

I believe he is ready, will be humble, will work his butt off for the team and the University. He will endure good and bad times with grace and class and ultimately he will win.

I also think the family will rally around him and he’ll have a world of support to lean on. Including Roy.

Wes.

I believe he is ready, will be humble, will work his butt off for the team and the University. He will endure good and bad times with grace and class and ultimately he will win.

I also think the family will rally around him and he’ll have a world of support to lean on. Including Roy.
I agree with this 100%

listening to Bubba, it seems that caring about people, players and family is a high priority (if not THE highest priority) in his search

Last edited:
I think Hubert is an incredible person, but I think he would set this program into mediocrity very quickly. I just hope they don't go that route and I also like Steve Robinson, but really do not like that option either.

It's got to be Wes if they stay in the family. He is a high risk but very high reward and would never leave if he succeeds. I think Wes would succeed, but there is just no way of knowing.

If they go outside the family, I think Jay Wright might be the biggest name that would consider the job. Few and Stevens are very unlikely.

I think Hubert is an incredible person, but I think he would set this program into mediocrity very quickly. I just hope they don't go that route and I also like Steve Robinson, but really do not like that option either.

It's got to be Wes if they stay in the family. He is a high risk but very high reward and would never leave if he succeeds. I think Wes would succeed, but there is just no way of knowing.

If they go outside the family, I think Jay Wright might be the biggest name that would consider the job. Few and Stevens are very unlikely.

Problem with Robinson is his age. Would be looking another coach in a few years.

After listening to Bubba's zoom I agree with this line of thinking.
I agree, he mentioned multyple times that head coaching experience was VERY IMPORTANT to him but not the only thing. I now think if this stays in the Family that Wes Miller will be the next coach at North Carolina. I also have a feeling that Coach Rob retires with Roy and that Sean May will be an assistant coach with Frederick and Hubert Davis.
Remember that May and Miller overlap at Carolina in 2004 and 2005.
If Bubba is not convinced Wes is ready, then he will go to the top of the most qualified candidates in the basketball world.

IMHO, if it’s

“In family” it’s gotta be Wes Miller.

“out of family” I would hope for Few, Donovan, or Nate Oats. Donovan doesn’t seem like the most popular pick on this board but I think he could really hit the ground running at UNC. I’m hoping the new HC has some prior experience and a good track record.

Anyone know where I can listen to the Bubba PC?

Wes.

He is the best coach in UNCG history. But it is only UNCG. If he had that plus back to back to back NCAA tourney teams from an AAC school, at least one them getting to the Sweet Sixteen, I'd be very happy with Wes.

Reactions: Old_School59
I agree, he mentioned multyple times that head coaching experience was VERY IMPORTANT to him but not the only thing. I now think if this stays in the Family that Wes Miller will be the next coach at North Carolina. I also have a feeling that Coach Rob retires with Roy and that Sean May will be an assistant coach with Frederick and Hubert Davis.
Remember that May and Miller overlap at Carolina in 2004 and 2005.
If Bubba is not convinced Wes is ready, then he will go to the top of the most qualified candidates in the basketball world.
No HC wants to be handed a staff that he must take. Requiring that can ruin a hire because of resentments.

Is anyone’s ceiling as high as our expectations are? Real candidates, not the dumb Stevens and Few pipe dreams.

I think Wes’ ceiling is the highest. He’s 38 and he’s won consistently. We know he can coach.
If he can land some recruits right off the rip, he could be the next big thing in the coaching world and would end up being a home run hire. I’d equate it to Ryan Day replacing Urban Meyer at Ohio State. Everyone knew Day could coach the X’s and O’s, but could he get the Jimmy’s and Joe’s? He can and Ohio St hasn’t missed a beat.

Reactions: dadika13
Smart, but that’s like picking the tallest of the midgets. I don’t think Smart is a very good HC.

Well my original post was saying I would rather have Smart instead of Davis IF UNC was looking to hire a Black American. I dont care if they hire a one eyed woman with a wooden leg as long as she is qualified. In my opinion Hubert is not the best candidate for the job.

The case for Hubert Davis:
• Man of integrity and character
• Assistant UNC coach since 2012, including 2 Final Fours & 1 title
• Continuity with current staff, players, recruits, and potential transfers
• NBA experience as a player, including playing for Knicks under Pat Riley
• Media experience with ESPN, where he is still well-regarded
• 50 years old, so could be a long-term hire
• Black, which is important to some, and could benefit recruiting

The case against Hubert Davis:
• No head coaching experience at any level
• Continuity with current staff seen by some as a negative
• Questions about passion, "fire in the belly" for the job
• Opportunity cost: could there be someone better out there?

Anything to add to either list?

Well I Listened to the Bubba presser, and he stated on more than one occasion that he leans toward a HEAD coach...but left open the possibility that he cold choose an assistant.

Only my slightly expanding gut talking now but after his presser...I am inclined to lean towards Wes as the choice he will make

Reactions: Old_School59
If being from the UNC family isnt a requirement and Billy Donovan is interested I don’t know how this is even a discussion

went to a football school during its golden era and took over a basketball program with virtually zero history and turned them into a powerhouse. 4 final fours, 2 titles, played and coached in the NBA (and actually had success coaching in the NBA)

and hes only 55. This could be our Nick Saban to Alabama hire

I wouldn't be opposed to Wes Miller. He'd need a really good staff around him. I like how Juwon Howard got Phil Marteli as part of his staff. Wes has more HC'ing experience than Howard had, but the staff becomes really important.

Just a different ballgame. Roy got routinely criticized about his coaching despite his accomplishments. Wes has been praised, praised and praised more. He'll get questioned about everything.

I think I prefer Few because I know what I'll be getting. He won't win 90% of his conference games in the ACC, but I'm sure he can get players, he's coached in big moments, he's dealt with criticism of being an NCAA tournament failure.

Everything with Wes is unknown at this level. Everything with Hubert is certainly an unknown at this level. Stackhouse would be interesting and really entertaining. I tend to question guys like him who have NBA money already in the bank. But again, it would be entertaining as hell. Stack is like the polar opposite personality-wise than Roy.

I wouldn't be opposed to Wes Miller. He'd need a really good staff around him. I like how Juwon Howard got Phil Marteli as part of his staff. Wes has more HC'ing experience than Howard had, but the staff becomes really important.

Just a different ballgame. Roy got routinely criticized about his coaching despite his accomplishments. Wes has been praised, praised and praised more. He'll get questioned about everything.

I think I prefer Few because I know what I'll be getting. He won't win 90% of his conference games in the ACC, but I'm sure he can get players, he's coached in big moments, he's dealt with criticism of being an NCAA tournament failure.

Everything with Wes is unknown at this level. Everything with Hubert is certainly an unknown at this level. Stackhouse would be interesting and really entertaining. I tend to question guys like him who have NBA money already in the bank. But again, it would be entertaining as hell. Stack is like the polar opposite personality-wise than Roy.

get few out of your head...it’s not him.

miller, stevens, donovan, turgeon...go

Reactions: Sk1310
UNC has to guess what the college basketball landscape is about to look like. G league is about to take allot of talent from the college game. Once we see how many went that route get drafted more and more will do the same.

So we need a coach who is a teacher. Brad Stevens would be top pick if he wanted it, but to go from NBA talent to 4 star players may not be tempting.

Hubert is a good individual and in my opinion would keep the integrity of the university in good standings.

I still like Stackhouse. I think his work in AAU is underappreciated. Remember Juwan Howard and Penny Hardaway kept loaded AAU squads so they knew allot of players already. Stackhouse could do the same.

How about Chris Paul retiring to coach UNC. Just a thought. If we want to make a splash!

Reactions: KinstonNC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT