ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

carolina is -3.5…coming off a massive win, at home, vs a team that lost to gatech…strange line, seems too good to be true.

dang! In watching the game I didn't see that head-to-head at all.

I replayed it a few times in slo-mo and the defender lowered his shoulder and launched; but he turned at the last fraction of a second to put his shoulder first; it seemed like he was going for the chest (and got it), and the head-to-head was incidental. I think the side of the Syracuse helmet and not the crown is what got Kiernan. To me it wasn't targeting according to the spirit of the rule. I don't know which way I would have called it, but it probably should have been deemed targeting according to the way the refs call it now.

At any rate, to me it was just good ol' football. Damn good football.

carolina is -3.5…coming off a massive win, at home, vs a team that lost to gatech…strange line, seems too good to be true.
I'm sure the line will change, but that's pretty much how I view the game. To my mind, the loss to Ga. Tech is an added incentive and not an indicator of much else.

This one worries me. They already owe us, and now they have something else to prove. I see a real dogfight.

I'm sure the line will change, but that's pretty much how I view the game. To my mind, the loss to Ga. Tech is an added incentive and not an indicator of much else.

This one worries me. They already owe us, and now they have something else to prove. I see a real dogfight.

Emotions will be running high for the Canes and they are typically not a very disciplined team to begin with. If we match the intensity but play smart, they may just self immolate if things aren’t going their way.

Emotions will be running high for the Canes and they are typically not a very disciplined team to begin with. If we match the intensity but play smart, they may just self immolate if things aren’t going their way.
Either that loss is going to rally them and they go 11-1 or it demoralizes them and they go 8-4.

Either that loss is going to rally them and they go 11-1 or it demoralizes them and they go 8-4.

I was going to say something similar. One extreme or the other, but because it's us, I think they'll come out swinging. And then hopefully we'll help them self-immolate.

I was going to say something similar. One extreme or the other, but because it's us, I think they'll come out swinging. And then hopefully we'll help them self-immolate.
Well, it will be a very good test for us. Bring your A-game as they will likely bring their's. Be smart, consistent, focused, the whole nine yards every play of the game taking nothing for granted.

Well, it will be a very good test for us. Bring your A-game as they will likely bring their's. Be smart, consistent, focused, the whole nine yards every play of the game taking nothing for granted.
you've got me sold. Let's hope the team is too.

Reactions: randman1
Miami will have the knobs on 11 next Saturday night.

200w.gif

Seriously, I think the Hurricanes will be ready to play like never before... at least in this season. They will be wanting retribution for that loss. UNC needs to eude and display the confidence Mack has been talking about. If they play to their potential, UNC will win handily.

If we win this one I’m afraid I’m going to slip back into my old ways…

If I start talking about buying playoff tickets then I need you guys to promise you’ll stage an intervention.

Reactions: bluetoe
If we win this one I’m afraid I’m going to slip back into my old ways…

If I start talking about buying playoff tickets then I need you guys to promise you’ll stage an intervention.
I'm not sure if there are any left.

I'm not sure if there are any left.
The schools get an allotment. But I'm not worried about UNC getting any. I would definitely go to the ACC championship, though. I'm sure we'll find a way to screw that one up. We'll lose a couple of stupid games we shouldn't. Looks for losses against UVA and moo.

Reactions: uncboy10
The schools get an allotment. But I'm not worried about UNC getting any. I would definitely go to the ACC championship, though. I'm sure we'll find a way to screw that one up. We'll lose a couple of stupid games we shouldn't. Looks for losses against UVA and moo.
Or Georgia Tech

don’t care much for the award nowadays, but penix is a bad dude…heisman front runner right now.

carolina is fine…they are closing games, being more physical, and winning in spite of themselves…that’s not great, because it will come back, but just continue to run that ball and get stops…cannot say enough about 25, 10’s, 8, 33, and 28.

We might actually be good.
I guess. Two ways of looking at it though. How can we be all that good if we insist on shooting ourselves in the foot A LOT. OR, we must be good to if we can win while shooting ourselves in the foot SO MUCH.

For my part, I scoffed at the announcer saying we could be a playoff team. Not if we keep playing like we did.

That game literally gave me a headache from yelling at the TV for several hours.

don’t care much for the award nowadays, but penix is a bad dude…heisman front runner right now.

carolina is fine…they are closing games, being more physical, and winning in spite of themselves…that’s not great, because it will come back, but just continue to run that ball and get stops…cannot say enough about 25, 10’s, 8, 33, and 28.
I saw the Oregon/Colorado game and I knew how good Oregon is. Yesterdays game with Wash. was about as good as it gets watching college football that doesn't include the Heels, but Oregon should have won. They were robbed of two very likely TD's because of uncalled pass interference, and IMO Wash. scored a TD because they ruled a pass a catch that to me clearly should have not been. Hell of a contest but officiating like that (that directly affects the outcome) ruins it for me.

And yeah, Pinnix is the real deal, and Nix ain't bad either. But Pinnix is not just good, he's gutty as well.

I was a little miffed that when the announcers talked about the Heisman, they didn't even mention Drake...unless I missed it.

I guess. Two ways of looking at it though. How can we be all that good if we insist on shooting ourselves in the foot A LOT. OR, we must be good to if we can win while shooting ourselves in the foot SO MUCH.

For my part, I scoffed at the announcer saying we could be a playoff team. Not if we keep playing like we did.

That game literally gave me a headache from yelling at the TV for several hours.
I wouldn't say we've shot ourselves in the foot, at least not more than any other good team. The App game was bad and the penalties last night were bad, but we've been pretty good the whole way. There aren't any dominant teams this year in college football, so the ACC champion will definitely get a spot. We'll probably be favored until the championship game against FSU. We just need to win the games we should win and FSU isn't miles ahead of us.

I saw the Oregon/Colorado game and I knew how good Oregon is. Yesterdays game with Wash. was about as good as it gets watching college football that doesn't include the Heels, but Oregon should have won. They were robbed of two very likely TD's because of uncalled pass interference, and IMO Wash. scored a TD because they ruled a pass a catch that to me clearly should have not been. Hell of a contest but officiating like that (that directly affects the outcome) ruins it for me.

And yeah, Pinnix is the real deal, and Nix ain't bad either. But Pinnix is not just good, he's gutty as well.

I was a little miffed that when the announcers talked about the Heisman, they didn't even mention Drake...unless I missed it.
one guy yesterday, might have been an espn guy, said maye may not win the award but he’s the best qb pro prospect.

one guy yesterday, might have been an espn guy, said maye may not win the award but he’s the best qb pro prospect.
if I had to choose (for him), I'd take first pick in the draft over the Heisman. But he has some stiff competition either way.

Reactions: gteeitup
I wouldn't say we've shot ourselves in the foot, at least not more than any other good team. The App game was bad and the penalties last night were bad, but we've been pretty good the whole way. There aren't any dominant teams this year in college football, so the ACC champion will definitely get a spot. We'll probably be favored until the championship game against FSU. We just need to win the games we should win and FSU isn't miles ahead of us.
I hate to be the naysayer but I'm a realist. You're wearing Carolina blue tinted shades if you think those penalties and inconsistencies last night are reasonable for a really good team. That would kill us in a game with a really good team, because that other team would play a much cleaner game.

I like the idea of making the playoff, but I'm awake, not dreaming. If you saw the Oregon/Washington game, you should be afraid of playing either one of them, for example.

Reactions: strummingram
I hate to be the naysayer but I'm a realist. You're wearing Carolina blue tinted shades if you think those penalties and inconsistencies last night are reasonable for a really good team. That would kill us in a game with a really good team, because that other team would play a much cleaner game.
I never said they were reasonable. They are an outlier for us so far. As a whole this year, we haven't made any consistent mistakes except for the OL being bad.

I like the idea of making the playoff, but I'm awake, not dreaming. If you saw the Oregon/Washington game, you should be afraid of playing either one of them, for example.
I'm not saying we are, just that there aren't four great teams that are locks. Even Georgia isn't blowing people away. An undefeated ACC champion is a lock for the CFP. Do I think UNC will be undefeated? No, but it's nice to be this far into the season and still have that chance.

If that had been Florida State, UNC would have been beaten badly.

I'm really amazed at how Norvill has gotten that team back to its old prominence. And, we all know that Mack Brown is not allowed to beat Florida State under any circumstances.

I never said they were reasonable. They are an outlier for us so far. As a whole this year, we haven't made any consistent mistakes except for the OL being bad.

I'm not saying we are, just that there aren't four great teams that are locks. Even Georgia isn't blowing people away. An undefeated ACC champion is a lock for the CFP. Do I think UNC will be undefeated? No, but it's nice to be this far into the season and still have that chance.
"You're falling for this chick."

• Haha
If that had been Florida State, UNC would have been beaten badly.

I'm really amazed at how Norvill has gotten that team back to its old prominence. And, we all know that Mack Brown is not allowed to beat Florida State under any circumstances.
I'm still not sold on FSU being back. They look good, but I don't think they have reached the top of that hill.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT