ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

Every year I get my hopes up only to get kicked in the balls. I feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick that damn football.
I've learned to accept this program will never be more than mediocre. I'm still watching and cheering, but I have no expectations that we will be anything but average. It makes it easier not to feel bad after a loss and it makes a win feel better.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
I've learned to accept this program will never be more than mediocre. I'm still watching and cheering, but I have no expectations that we will be anything but average. It makes it easier not to feel bad after a loss and it makes a win feel better.
I'm just thankful there's a notable sport that we are always contenders. There are countless schools that are never "great" in any of them.

UNC has never been known for football.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
If I had any sense, I would do the same. But my gut keeps telling me that we can better than that in football. I just don't think we've found the right coach yet.

I expected a down year, just didn't expect it to be so bad. Should have known better. We lost our top QBs. Top two RBs, top 3 WRs, and the Oline isn't any better.

I'll say the defense looked good at times, however the big play killed us. At least 3 of their TDs were flukey-esque breakdowns.

At least we figured out who our QB is.

"At least we figured out who our QB is."

We may have but has Fed?
As fans, we want every game but Fed owed it to Harris to give him reps. He recruited him and told him he'd have a chance. He got it.

Nice it's time develop Chazz, who should be a great QB for the next 3-4 years.

Platooning QB's is the dumbest thing you can do to an offense. How can you expect to get in any rhythm when there's a different QB every series? Pick a QB and roll with him. If Saturday was any indication, Fed found his guy. Now he just needs to cut the crap and let him do his thing.

I'm betting that he will continue this platooning crap for next week as well, if not for many more games. Ugh!
I say start Chazz next game and bring Harris in to start the second half. No need to keep Chazz out there when we're down by five touchdowns.

Well, at least I was right on my hunch about Michael Carter. Kid is a stud.

As for our QBs.... both were frighteningly bad. CS was the better of the two, obviously, but both are way far away from where they need to be. I believe the super-vanilla play-calling was due to that fact.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Well, at least I was right on my hunch about Michael Carter. Kid is a stud.
I was right there with you on that one. He's our next 1,000 yard back.

As for our QBs.... both were frighteningly bad. CS was the better of the two, obviously, but both are way far away from where they need to be. I believe the super-vanilla play-calling was due to that fact.
Agreed. The guys we have coming in can't get here soon enough.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
I was right there with you on that one. He's our next 1,000 yard back.

Agreed. The guys we have coming in can't get here soon enough.
I'm not going to b**** and scream about the QBs not being good enough because Harris has only been in the offense for 8 weeks and Surratt is just a RS Frosh, so when I say both are far away from where they need to be, it's not bashing them or anything like that -- it's just stating a fact. They would say the same if in a room of truth.

You could see a tiny bit of that "it" factor with Surratt on some plays, which is encouraging. You could also see a lot of freshman/inexperienced mistakes and tendencies he would make, such as missing a wide open receiver (either with a bad throw or simply not seeing the receiver altogether) or trying to bounce a run outside for a splash play and only gaining 1-3 yards instead of 6-9 yards by just taking it through the hole that was there.

Heels open a 6 point underdog to Louisville . . it's now at 8.

I've gotten bashed saying this every year since Fed got here ( and don't really care) but still don't believe he adds anything of value to the UNC football equation. His recruiting, program management and on-field results could be achieved by almost anyone given the university's prestige and resources. Plain and simple, he's in the role of an expensive caretaker and our program won't improve until the dark cloud is lifted and a top tier guy is brought in. I'm not holding my breath for him to somehow transform UNC football or the University to take a step again like they did with BD. I'd love to be wrong.

The worst part about today was getting beat at home by a bad football team. I'm sorry, Cal is going to get run roughshod over in the PAC-12.

I haven't read all the crying and whining poasts in this thread but I'll give my thoughts.

I was actually fairly impressed with Cal at times on Saturday. They put a pretty decent product on the field for a team that lost most of its starters and their head coach. They looked well coached, eager to play and like they enjoyed playing for each other.

We have problems getting penetration on the defensive side of the ball. On the offensive side, we have no receivers that can get separation. We ran the ball ok but we have a whole lot of nothing on the edges.

I thought Surratt was significantly better than Harris. Or really the offense just looked better when Surratt was under center. Not sure he was remarkably better.

I thought before the season that 7 wins this year would be tough. Now I'd say it'll be a damn miracle if we can pull off 7 wins. GT and VT both looked pretty good in their games. Duke went for 60 albeit against the School for The Deaf and Blind. And we get Louisville and ND too.

I've gotten bashed saying this every year since Fed got here ( and don't really care) but still don't believe he adds anything of value to the UNC football equation. His recruiting, program management and on-field results could be achieved by almost anyone given the university's prestige and resources. Plain and simple, he's in the role of an expensive caretaker and our program won't improve until the dark cloud is lifted and a top tier guy is brought in. I'm not holding my breath for him to somehow transform UNC football or the University to take a step again like they did with BD. I'd love to be wrong.
Anyone? John Bunting? Torbush?

Butch never won more than 8 games.

What top tier guy did you have in mind?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT