ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

we had really good kick times all season last year.
I don't recall them being that good for the most part, at least in my opinion. We seem to suck when the game starts after 3:30, so it would probably be better for us to have nothing but early games.

I don't recall them being that good for the most part, at least in my opinion. We seem to suck when the game starts after 3:30, so it would probably be better for us to have nothing but early games.
Fairly certain we avoided the noon start all but once, but I can't recall completely.

We need later games simply for fan attendance. Our attendance is markedly better the later in the day the game is.

We need later games simply for fan attendance. Our attendance is markedly better the later in the day the game is.
True, but it seems like our record has been better for games that start at 3:30 or sooner. It may just be selective memory on my part though. Night games are usually big games and winning big games haven't exactly been a staple of the program over the last decade.

True, but it seems like our record has been better for games that start at 3:30 or sooner. It may just be selective memory on my part though. Night games are usually big games and winning big games haven't exactly been a staple of the program over the last decade.
Last decade? Try last 40 years. What's the last BIG game we won? I can't think of one.

:(

Last decade? Try last 40 years. What's the last BIG game we won? I can't think of one.

:(
CHOPKICKERgif.0.gif

Not a big game. Big win for the program? Yes. Not a *big* game though.

I'm talking '97 vs. FSU or '16 ACCCG vs. Clemson.

ETA: But yeah, that's probably our "biggest" win in a couple decades. Perhaps the '15 win at Pittsburgh and at VT on Beamer's Eve to earn a berth to the ACCCG? Those weren't "big" games though. I'm talking both teams ranked and everything is on the line.

Last edited:
Reactions: toophly1124

I'm talking '97 vs. FSU or '16 ACCCG vs. Clemson
It was against a ranked FSU at there place. If I recall correctly it had been a long time since they lost at home. If you are looking for something more than that out of this program, then you might be waiting for a long time. Take what you can get.

It was against a ranked FSU at there place. If I recall correctly it had been a long time since they lost at home. If you are looking for something more than that out of this program, then you might be waiting for a long time. Take what you can get.
We beat them in Tallahassee just 5 years prior to the win last year. But yes, both teams were ranked.

I'm talking '97 vs. FSU or '16 ACCCG vs. Clemson.

ETA: But yeah, that's probably our "biggest" win in a couple decades. Perhaps the '15 win at Pittsburgh and at VT on Beamer's Eve to earn a berth to the ACCCG? Those weren't "big" games though. I'm talking both teams ranked and everything is on the line.

How many cracks do we even get at what you'd consider a big game though? The ACCCG against Clemson was definitely big. What about other than that?

The season openers against SEC opponents are somewhat big, just because the ACC needs to go 95-5 in those games to get Finebaum, ESPN, and the like to come up for air out of the SEC's jock - but other than that, those games weren't any bigger than FSU this past year or some of our other "kinda big" games.

Reactions: tarheel0910
How many cracks do we even get at what you'd consider a big game though? The ACCCG against Clemson was definitely big. What about other than that?

The season openers against SEC opponents are somewhat big, just because the ACC needs to go 95-5 in those games to get Finebaum, ESPN, and the like to come up for air out of the SEC's jock - but other than that, those games weren't any bigger than FSU this past year or some of our other "kinda big" games.
Stop. Pretty much everyone whose opinion matters knows the ACC is the strongest it's ever been. It's made every CFB Playoff so far and has made the final in like 3 of the past 4 years.

And, yes, you're right that Carolina doesn't get a shot at my definition of a "big game" very often. I think that before the ACCCG, the '97 FSU game meets my definition of a big game (honestly it might be the biggest game in program history). A win there and we could've legitimately won a national championship. But we lost.

2012 ACCCG would've been a "big game" for us because a win would've put us in a BCS Bowl (but not a national championship game), but of course we couldn't participate because of our one year bowl ban. So yeah, you're right. We need to do a better job of putting ourselves in a position to actually *play* a big game. Then once we get there, we need to win.

For now, yeah we need to win these damn ACC-SEC openers. It's a shame the Ohio State home and home got slashed by the Buckeyes.

He'll get drafted, but that's because the MLB draft is 40 rounds. But to answer your question, I don't *think* he'll get drafted high enough to warrant him foregoing college.

If he did come to Carolina, he wouldn't redshirt for football because he might only be here for 3 years. Hell, he might even give up football after a year and only focus on baseball.
Well with that top 5 if he is serious about a career in baseball in college I would say it's between LSU, Clemson and UNC

What does acronym "BOOM" mean? Asking for a friend.
NCAA rules prohibit coaches from publicly discussing recruits until they sign their National Letter of Intent. Fedora and the other coaches will tweet "BOOM" to let people know UNC has received a verbal commitment without revealing the recruit's identity. Always easy to figure out who since this site and others will break the news shortly after.

UNC and Fedora agree on extension through 2022.

dvekew.gif
Pleased to hear it. There are plenty of valid criticisms about his performance on the field, but we've won the Coastal twice in five years and you couldn't ask for a better representative of the program and the university off the field. Fedora has really grown on me.

Pleased to hear it. There are plenty of valid criticisms about his performance on the field, but we've won the Coastal twice in five years and you couldn't ask for a better representative of the program and the university off the field. Fedora has really grown on me.
Damn right.

I saw that - anyone have any insight on what we can expect?

Not sure what the depth chart is looking like, other potential commits, things to expect from him, etc.
He's the 9th best QB in the nation, per Rivals rankings and the #192 overall recruit in the nation. Michigan was very high on him, as was South Carolina.

Here's his Rivals bio. At the bottom of this poast are his Hudl highlights.

As for the depth chart.... it's all up in the air right now. Brandon Harris is just now getting to campus, and then you've got RS Soph Nathan Elliott (who would probably be QB1 if the season started tomorrow), RS Fr. Chazz Surratt and RS Fr. Logan Byrd. In terms of the long-term depth chart, Brandon Harris is a non-factor because he will be gone after this season, regardless. With the addition of Shough after this season, that would put the depth chart at:

Jr (1): Nathan Elliott
So (2): Logan Byrd and Chazz Surratt
Fr (1): Tyler Shough

And we might even take another QB this class and definitely will take 1 in the 2019 class. So it's a fluid situation. There's always the chance Byrd or Elliott or Surratt will transfer because only one of those three is ultimately going to get the job the in 2018 season (assuming Shough redshirts). Shough's committment makes the numbers look much better. As for the quality... that remains to be seen.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
No idea, to be honest.
Ok. When I hear the words from AZ and top QB, the words UNC football don't usually come to mind. Especially when the big boys are after you. Apparently he set up a visit right after we offered, so hopefully that's a good sign.

Ok. When I hear the words from AZ and top QB, the words UNC football don't usually come to mind. Especially when the big boys are after you. Apparently he set up a visit right after we offered, so hopefully that's a good sign.
Based on the note he wrote and his quotes -- not necessarily trustworthy I know -- he seems pretty committed. Although a couple high-profile QBs have de-committed from programs this particular cycle, in general, it seems that QBs usually keep their commitments, unlike other position groups.

And to address your point, to be fair, before Fedora, "UNC Football" NEVER came to mind when one would hear the words "top QB." Whether you like him or dislike him, folks cannot deny that Fedora has changed that aspect of Carolina Football for sure. Elite QBs will now give us legitimate looks because of the Fed Spread coupled with Mitch's high draft position.

Guys, a TON of good stuff is happening for Carolina Football right now
Saw where we just got another QB. Seems like we have/will have a lot of QBs on the roster. Has Fed lost faith in the ones we already have or is there a possible transfer? I think we needed to take one QB, but I'm not sure about taking two.

Saw where we just got another QB. Seems like we have/will have a lot of QBs on the roster. Has Fed lost faith in the ones we already have or is there a possible transfer? I think we needed to take one QB, but I'm not sure about taking two.
Definitely needed to take 2 after not getting one last class. The best programs bring in a QB each year. They're like pitchers in baseball, you can never have too many because odds are they won't live up to potential. Ruder also is athletic enough to possibly switch positions.

So to recap, in the last week, Carolina has:

- received a commitment from Top 200 in the nation player and 9th ranked QB Tyler Sough
- received a commitment from 3*** (but highly thought of) dual-threat QB Jace Ruder
- received a commitment from (3) 3*** DBs in the 2018 class
- received a commitment from a 2019 DLman
- welcomed back ex-Tar Heel OG Jared Cohen back to the program as a walk-on. He's a junior now but is eligible to play immediately.

Definitely needed to take 2 after not getting one last class. The best programs bring in a QB each year. They're like pitchers in baseball, you can never have too many because odds are they won't live up to potential. Ruder also is athletic enough to possibly switch positions.

- received a commitment from Top 200 in the nation player and 9th ranked QB Tyler Sough
- received a commitment from 3*** (but highly thought of) dual-threat QB Jace Ruder
- welcomed back ex-Tar Heel OG Jared Cohen back to the program as a walk-on. He's a junior now but is eligible to play immediately.
I would have felt better with a second QB if he were a 300+ pound 5* DL. I don't think it's a horrible decision, I just feel like we could have used that scholarship at another position.

I would have felt better with a second QB if he were a 300+ pound 5* DL. I don't think it's a horrible decision, I just feel like we could have used that scholarship at another position.

That "second" QB...Ruder...is the real deal and I believe will prove to be the better of the two, especially in this offense.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
That "second" QB...Ruder...is the real deal and I believe will prove to be the better of the two, especially in this offense.
Are you saying that because he is more of a duel threat? I think Fed has shown that he can adapt his offense to any style QB. Which kind of goes back to my question of why take two QBs. Fed has had more success with QBs than any other position. I would be ok with taking one a year. I would prefer to have some more depth and talent at DL since that is where we are lacking in my opinion. It's not a horrible decision, just one I probably wouldn't have made. Of course, I'm not a college football coach so outside of Madden my decision making probably isn't as good as the staff's decisions.

Reactions: heelbent
Are you saying that because he is more of a duel threat? I think Fed has shown that he can adapt his offense to any style QB. Which kind of goes back to my question of why take two QBs. Fed has had more success with QBs than any other position. I would be ok with taking one a year. I would prefer to have some more depth and talent at DL since that is where we are lacking in my opinion. It's not a horrible decision, just one I probably wouldn't have made. Of course, I'm not a college football coach so outside of Madden my decision making probably isn't as good as the staff's decisions.

Yea, I like his feet and his accuracy. Quick release and nice touch on throws to the backs. He seems to put the ball where the receiver needs it. Plus there just seems to be something...different...about Ruder. He's got that natural leader thing going for him. I really like the kid.

And just got a commitment from a 2019 shutdown CB.

I missed the news about Cohen. That's big. I wonder if any of the jerks who bad-mouthed him when he left are eating their words now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT