ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Chain Restaurants Tourney: The Matt Harvey Region, Presented by Durex

TarHeelNation11

Hall of Famer
Mar 9, 2007
Lowell, NC
Round of 64 for the final region, The Matt Harvey Region, Presented by Durex will now begin. Voting will close on Tuesday, June 6th at 11:59 p.m. so a bit quicker turnaround here to speed things up. It's easier for me to get this and update it during the week than it is during weekends. Original seedings and bracket listings can be found here.

I'm going to tag people so they see this thread and don't forget to vote. @UNC71-00 @Raising Heel @UNC '92 @JuleZ '02 HEEL @gunslingerdick @DeanFor President @coolwaterunc @grillheel @heelz2345 @coryfly @HEELS1984 @toophly1124 @tarheel0910 @TarHeelMark @Hark_The_Sound_2010 @BillyL @tazki @ohio tarheels

The Matt Harvey Region, Presented by Durex

#1 Chick-fil-A vs. #16 Maggiano's Little Italy

#8 Dairy Queen vs. #9 T.G.I Friday's

#5 Buffalo Wild Wings vs. #12 Sonic Drive-In

#4 Burger King vs. #13 O'Charley's

#6 LongHorn Steakhouse vs. #11 Moe's

#3 Olive Garden vs. #14 Baskin-Robbins

#7 Papa John's Pizza vs. #10 IHOP

#2 Jimmy John's vs. #15 Dickey's Barbecue Pit

Reactions: Raising Heel
This is the second time you've tagged me and I haven't gotten an alert. I wonder if there's a max number of poasters you can tag in a single poast.

I don't dislike Maggiano's but they got an impossible draw facing a perennial powerhouse in their home stadium.

Dairy Queen gets docked a point for no longer grilling their burgers. T.G.I. Friday's gets docked a point for making America fatter with their "endless apps." In the end, the Blizzard propels Dairy Queen into the second round.

Buffalo Wild Wings is where I always go when I'm looking to get into a fight. On the other hand, the Chili Cheese Coney from Sonic could bring world peace. Their Blasts aren't bad either.

I felt like I had graduated to adulthood the day I ordered a Whopper instead of a Whopper Jr. Burger King was a staple of my youth. O'Charley's tries to do so much that it ends up not doing anything particularly well. Still, Burger King's food is crap so I'm picking the upset.

Remember when I talked about the glut of uninspired steakhouses and uninspired Mexican quick eateries? Yeah, this is like a first-round matchup of mid-majors that few people have ever heard of and even fewer can locate on a map. Ugh. Whatever.

I know they're going to get trampled but I'm voting with my heart here. Gold Medal Ribbon forever!

#7 Papa John's Pizza
vs. #10 IHOP
Voting for Papa John's despite their founder.

Voting against Jimmy John's because of their founder.

Jimmy-John%27s-Owner.jpg

CFA wins this one.

The nod to Friday's, because I don't do DQ.

I've never eaten at a BWW . . but, they got my vote here. I loves me some wings.

O'Charley's . . BK has gone downhill.

#6 LongHorn Steakhouse vs. Moes

I like OG's salad & chicken part.

Reactions: grillheel
Chick-fil-A - Maggiano's is freaking awesome, but it's Chick-fil-A, and I'm not voting against them.

TGI Friday's - I have nothing against Dairy Queen, as I can dig the classic Blizzard, but I've never really been a dessert guy. If you go to Dairy Queen for a burger, you're doing it wrong.

Buffalo Wild Wings - Let me just say I think BWW is way overrated. I don't see why so many people like that place. I just don't think they're very good. For a place known for wings, theirs are very mediocre. Sonic is garbage, so I have no choice to go with B-Dubs.

O'Charley's - I'm gonna echo @Raising Heel on this one. Burger King was my go-to fast food joint in my youth. Whenever my mom would pick me up from school, she would drive by Burger King and get me a doube cheeseburger and a medium fry. I too felt I became a man when I started eating Whoppers. Now though, they have fallen so far. They absolutely suck. O'Charley's is okay, so I'm going with them by default.

Moe's - Chain steakhouses are boring to me. I like Texas Roadhouse and Outback, but other than that, I just don't care. I've actually never had Moe's, but all Mexican tastes the same, so I pretty much have. I'll roll with it.

Olive Garden - Love Olive Garden. It will always be one of my favorites. Gonna take a lot to get me to vote against them.

Papa John's - Who eats at IHOP?

Dickey's Barbecue Pit - I was gonna vote Jimmy John's, but then RH poasted that pic, so yeah. Plus, that day they had $1 subs and the line was wrapped around the building pissed me off. F them. I'll let Firehouse and Jersey Mike's carry the sandwich torch. We need barbecue represented anyway.

- No analysis needed.

- Does either team have to win? TGIF gets it simply due to the variety of food they have compared to DQ.

#5 Buffalo Wild Wings
vs. #12 Sonic Drive-In
- I've actually never eaten at a Sonic. Like the rest of y'all, I think Buffalo Wild Wings is dreadfully overrated (although they do have kinda cheap beer), but Sonic just seems meh to me too. BWW by default.

- Burger King is terrible and I really question the committee's judgment putting them as high as a 4 seed. They've been struggling for years and some of their recent roll-outs to bring back customers have been..... pancakes..... and ham and cheese sandwiches. Lolwhat? O'Charley's prime rib pasta is tasty and so are their rolls.

- LongHorn is meh and Moe's has Moe Monday... plus I like their variety of salsas you can pick from to go with your free chips. Homewrecker Jr. for the win. Both of these teams were founded in Atlanta, just as a fun fact.

- Endless pasta and salad. Plus ice cream is ice cream. BR isn't anything special.

- Papa John's isn't as good as Domino's but I do like that they sell Mountain Dew and that they include the garlic sauce. IHOP is Waffle House's bitch.

- Going with Dickey's in the mega-upset and it has nothing to do with what the owner of either team looks like. I have eaten probably a hundred JJ's subs in my life and I do like Jimmy John's, but if they didn't deliver, they'd be significantly less good. The fact that you spring for a couple delivery drivers (but still have a ridiculously small delivery radium) shouldn't be one of your two best selling points. Dickey's, on the other hand, is a DAMN good meal for ~$12. It's also got a cool vibe inside with the alt country stations they usually play inside, and their sides are to die for: Brunswick stew, loaded potato casserole, jalapeno beans, tanglers.... MMmmm mmm. Plus, your cup can be saved and re-used since it's hard plastic.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
I've never heard of Little Italy, but it wouldn't matter anyway because... Chic-Fil-A!

Coin flip... It doesn't matter who wins this match-up, as CFA will be well rested and ready to smack them down in the next round.

We all know BW3 is over-rated; so I'll throw a vote at Sonic since I hopped curb back in my high school daze (not at a Sonic though...)

I used to like BK, but man have they gone downhill. And they introduced the world to chicken fries, so... NOPE.

Welcome to Moe's!

You can always count on the breadsticks and salad; plus I can get better ice cream at the grocery store than BR.

#7 Papa John's Pizza
vs. #10 IHOP
Papa John's is decent enough for assembly line pizza; and IHOP just doesn't do much for me.

Dickey's brisket is pretty damn good; not the cheapest place for lunch but it's better than JJ's.

ETA: @TarHeelNation11 - same as RH, I didn't get the "tag" notification either.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarHeelNation11
I don't dislike chic-fil-a, but I'm not in love with them either. Over seeded for sure. I'll take Italian, even from a chain. If chic-fil-a made a bucket of chicken using the same breading, would I like it? The answer is no. In the end, it's supposed to be fried chicken. And who doesn't make fried chicken on Sunday's?

Been bubble-gutted too many times thanks to DQ.

Sonic food tastes like something you might get at the free clinic.

Flipped a coin.

More crappy chain steak houses vs a burrito joint wanna be. Another coin flip.

Once you've had homemade ice cream in Maine, no chain will ever satisfy you again. Going with shitty Italian.

Said it before, I'll say it again. Greasy breakfast food wins every time.

Nope! Not going to pull for fake BBQ.

Disappointed in this region. Light on talent. Someone needs to brush their teeth more often so they can taste what they are eating.

Chick Fil A
TGI Friday's
Buffalo Wild Wings
O Charley's
Longhorn
Olive Garden
Papa John's
Jimmy John's

No contest. Chick-Fil-A. Only problem with them is I can't go every day of the week.

Gimme that Blizzard. DQ

Every time I go to Sonic, I have the following interaction in my head. "Where should I go today? Hey, I haven't been to Sonic in a while, that would be good." (Eats Sonic) "That wasn't as good as I thought it would be." So B-Dubs takes it easy

Can't recall last time I went to O'Charley's. Going with the King.

Moe's is one of my low key favorites. Moe's

Never been to Baskin. Gotta go Olive Garden

I'm going with better ingredients, better pizza, Papa Johns

Never been to Dickeys but it has to be better than overrated Jimmy Johns. Dickey's

Bump. Remember, it's a quicker turnaround for this region. Voting ends tomorrow night at 11:59. If all the regulars vote before then (we're averaging 17 votes per round), I'll close it early.

-LOL

-Blizzard for the win

-BWW does nothing for me. If I want average wings I'll go to Hooters.

-Alphabetical order

-Bland steak is better than bland Moe's food

-Olive Garden sucks, should be in the NIT. Fortunately for them BR is not a restaurant so it wins by default.

-Papa is the most overrated restaurant of all time. It shouldn't even make the post season. I rank it # 6,426 on my pizza list, which is slightly above dumpster pizza.

-Never been to Dickey's, but a BBQ chain place just sounds uninspiring. When I think of BBQ chains, I think of Smithfield's BBQ and their average at best food.

-LOL

-Blizzard for the win

-BWW does nothing for me. If I want average wings I'll go to Hooters.

-Alphabetical order

-Bland steak is better than bland Moe's food

-Olive Garden sucks, should be in the NIT. Fortunately for them BR is not a restaurant so it wins by default.

-Papa is the most overrated restaurant of all time. It shouldn't even make the post season. I rank it # 6,426 on my pizza list, which is slightly above dumpster pizza.

-Never been to Dickey's, but a BBQ chain place just sounds uninspiring. When I think of BBQ chains, I think of Smithfield's BBQ and their average at best food.
So you trash Olive Garden and Papa John's while nominating freaking Little Caesar's. @tarheel0910 should no longer be allowed to vote in tournaments.

Maggianos- Family Style, nuff said
DQ- Blizzards rule
Sonic- Shakes
OCharleys- just for the yeast rolls
Longhorn- Not a fan, but it's steak.
Olive Garden- for the heck of it. Wish this could be a scoreless tie.
IHOP- They have bacon. Papa's Pizza is Putrid
Dickey's BBQ- Upset win, and my dark horse to take the region. The posters that called this fake BBQ or disparaged it due to being a chain couldn't be more off base. They are out of Texas and have been in business for 75 years. This is real deal BBQ with great sides and sauces that just happens to have been so damn good that they had to open more locations- over 550. If you haven't tried it, don't pretend you know what's going on in there- go eat some dang BBQ!

Dickey's BBQ- Upset win, and my dark horse to take the region. The posters that called this fake BBQ or disparaged it due to being a chain couldn't be more off base. They are out of Texas and have been in business for 75 years. This is real deal BBQ with great sides and sauces that just happens to have been so damn good that they had to open more locations- over 550. If you haven't tried it, don't pretend you know what's going on in there- go eat some dang BBQ!
tumblr_o0w1aq0qHB1tq4of6o1_250.gif

Seriously, y'all go try it if you haven't.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
#1 Chick-fil-A-I've never been to the other one but Chick-fil-A is good stuff.

#8 Dairy Queen-Neither are that great but TGIF is way overrated. At least DG has blizzards.

#5 Buffalo Wild Wings-BWW's is great. Wings beat average burgers. Plus, they have those chips that are outstanding. And lots of beer.

#13 O'Charley's-This would have been an easy one years ago. O'Charley's food isn't as good as it used to be but still better than a fast food burger.

#6 LongHorn Steakhouse-I'll go with the higher seed though I don't remember ever eating at either place.

#3 Olive Garden-Love their food.

#10 IHOP- I love PJ's pizza but IHOP's omelets are as good as it gets.
This one was extremely difficult.

#15 Dickey's Barbecue Pit-I've never been to Dickey's but BBQ beats subs.

#15 Dickey's Barbecue Pit-I've never been to Dickey's but BBQ beats subs.
Cory--

There's a Dickey's on Madison St. in Clarksville. Go get yourself a 1-Meat Plate with pulled pork (or whatever style you want) with two delicious sides (my go-to is the Brunswick stew and the loaded potato casserole) with a roll on the side and you'll thank me later. If you get a drink, it will run you about $12, but you'll be pleasantly full but feel like you just ate a home-cooked meal rather than greasy fast food.

They do all the regional styles. You can get brisket -- the official BBQ of Texas -- or you can get pulled pork, pork ribs, etc.
The problem with the ongoing argument about BBQ is that some people are actually serious. Texas brisket is delicious. So is Kansas City style BBQ. So are eastern NC BBQ and Lexington BBQ. So is Memphis dry rub. Basically, all styles of BBQ are delicious except for the abomination known as South Carolina mustard sauce.

The problem with the ongoing argument about BBQ is that some people are actually serious. Texas brisket is delicious. So is Kansas City style BBQ. So are eastern NC BBQ and Lexington BBQ. So is Memphis dry rub. Basically, all styles of BBQ are delicious except for the abomination known as South Carolina mustard sauce.
Was going to pretty much say the same thing. Eastern NC will always be my favorite, but all kinds of BBQ are really good, except for SC, of course.

Chick-Fil-A - I'm voting for them simply to piss off the liberals.

TGIF - Dairy Queen? C'mon...Do they even serve anything other than ice cream these days? The one up the street from me had an Orange Julius move in and that's almost enough for me to vote for them. Almost.

BWW - because sports. Although I do love those two idiots in the Sonic commercials.

O'Charley's
- If you asked me 20 years ago, I would have gone with BK because I used to have an addiction to the Whopper. But that shit is gross. Never eaten at an O'Charleys but I'll vote for it.

Moe's
- Because Longhorn doesn't welcome me as soon as I walk in.

Olive Garden - The breadsticks are the least amount of money I would take to murder a stranger.

IHOP - I know most of y'all don't like IHOP, but they're usually clean and it's hard to botch breakfast.

Dickey's - It warms my heart to see Dickey's getting so much love. I thought for sure I'd see a bunch of inane comments like "if you like Dickey's, that tells me all I need to know about your opinion on BBQ" and other such nonsense. Dickey's straight up bangs. It was terribly under seeded in this tournament and they would absolutely make my personal Final Four. I can't say enough good about it. A little pricey, but worth it. I think I'm going there tonight if for no other reason than to get some fried okra.

This one was tough. I think it's dumb that Chick-Fil-A isn't open on Sundays, and I also don't like the fake niceness. You're working at a fast food place, I know you're miserable, you're not fooling me. Maggiano's is a good spot. If this were the championship game I'd vote for Maggiano's - but, it's looking like Bojangles will make the final four, so we need something for them to face that might actually get the board to oust that garbage - so I'm voting for the only restaurant in this region that could do so.

Don't really care about either of these places.

Sonic isn't that good - B-dubs is pretty decent.

I've never heard of O'Charley's (I actually don't even know what they serve, or where they are) - but it's not BK, so that's a win.

Never been to either, but Mexican beats generic steakhouse for me.

Owned by Dunkin Donuts, nuff said.

Ugh, I don't really want to have to vote for IHOP, but f*** Peyton Manning.

Their founder looks like a very nice guy.

Cory--

There's a Dickey's on Madison St. in Clarksville. Go get yourself a 1-Meat Plate with pulled pork (or whatever style you want) with two delicious sides (my go-to is the Brunswick stew and the loaded potato casserole) with a roll on the side and you'll thank me later. If you get a drink, it will run you about $12, but you'll be pleasantly full but feel like you just ate a home-cooked meal rather than greasy fast food.

I had no idea. I'm on Madison a lot. Heck, I used to live right off of it. I may do it one day when the wife isn't with me. I don't eat out a lot but do enjoy good BBQ. That loaded potato casserole sounds awesome.

The problem with the ongoing argument about BBQ is that some people are actually serious. Texas brisket is delicious. So is Kansas City style BBQ. So are eastern NC BBQ and Lexington BBQ. So is Memphis dry rub. Basically, all styles of BBQ are delicious ....

Agreed.

... except for the abomination known as South Carolina mustard sauce.

Uhh, I actually like that too.

giphy.gif

I had no idea. I'm on Madison a lot. Heck, I used to live right off of it. I may do it one day when the wife isn't with me. I don't eat out a lot but do enjoy good BBQ. That loaded potato casserole sounds awesome.
You won't be disappointed. And the potato casserole is as good as it sounds. When they hand it to you and you remove the top, it might look a little "vacuum packed" on top, but that's just the suction from the plastic top. It's damn good. The Jalapeno Beans are pretty good as well.

Oh and most locations provide free soft serve ice cream and free pickles.

You won't be disappointed. And the potato casserole is as good as it sounds. When they hand it to you and you remove the top, it might look a little "vacuum packed" on top, but that's just the suction from the plastic top. It's damn good.
Dammit. Now I gotta save my money up so I can go to Dickey's for lunch this week.

Dammit. Now I gotta save my money up so I can go to Dickey's for lunch this week.
Right? I'm already friggin craving it because of this thread. I nominated Dickeys during the nomination process and was going to sign an executive order and include it in the field if it didn't get enough nominations, which it barely did. And then it survived the random drawing to become a 15 and not a 16.

They do all the regional styles. You can get brisket -- the official BBQ of Texas -- or you can get pulled pork, pork ribs, etc.
Oh, a Texas restaurant cooking pulled pork NC BBQ. That sounds like a winner. Seriously though, I'm just not a big fan of Texas style BBQ. It's ok, but if I'm making a list of BBQ styles then it will be towards the bottom. @UNC '92 liked my post, so that's really all that needs to be said.

Reactions: UNC '92
Oh, a Texas restaurant cooking pulled pork NC BBQ. That sounds like a winner. Seriously though, I'm just not a big fan of Texas style BBQ. It's ok, but if I'm making a list of BBQ styles then it will be towards the bottom. @UNC '92 liked my post, so that's really all that needs to be said.

I just went and liked it too - to give it a nice Yankee stain, and probably discredit your argument.

You're putting stock into a guy's opinion when said guy uses "barbecued" the adjective?

Besides, this is a CHAIN restaurant. Is it as good as, say, Wilber's? No probably not. But if you're stuck down here in Georgia and don't have access to Eastern style BBQ, it's very satisfying to go to a place that makes quality barbecue (of all styles) like Dickeys.

I'm on Team Raising Heel/coolwaterunc on this one. Yes Eastern NC BBQ is the king, but basically every style of BBQ is damn good.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Hmm... you make some good points. Unfortunately you said this

Is it as good as, say, Wilber's? No probably not.

Probably? PROBABLY? This earns a big GFY with a pinecone. Any point you make for the rest of the contest has just been invalidated by that one word. If I was an asshat douche bag like RH I would put you on ignore. Luckily I'm a better person than him, although that's not a high bar to jump.

Texas would definitely be ranked below NC BBQ for me, but pretty equal with Memphis or Kansas City. I'm a BBQ cook, I make great ribs and pork, and my brisket in improving, and I know what good BBQ is. If Dickey's were sitting next to Lexington #1, Wilbers, Sam Jones, Skylight, Bridges BBQ Lodge, or any of the other iconic places, then obviously the choice would be clear. But in a strip center in Charlotte or any other city when you can't find a 50 year old wood burning pit, it's like an oasis. I was skeptical as well the first time I tried it and wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised.

...except for the abomination known as South Carolina mustard sauce.
Uhh, I actually like that too.
I've actually been known to eat it too, as long as it's at a place that has a variety of different sauces so you can sample them all in one sitting. But it's kind of like Nickelback, where it's just too much fun to mock people about it:
The problem with the ongoing argument about BBQ is that some people are actually serious.

Hmm... you make some good points. Unfortunately you said this

Probably? PROBABLY? This earns a big GFY with a pinecone. Any point you make for the rest of the contest has just been invalidated by that one word. If I was an asshat douche bag like RH I would put you on ignore. Luckily I'm a better person than him, although that's not a high bar to jump.
I didn't grow up in ENC so I've never been to Wilbers. Ass.

"Probably" was used because I can't say "definitely" since I've never been.

I didn't grow up in ENC so I've never been to Wilbers. Ass
This is no excuse. You would be better off just not mentioning it. It's just a horrible mistake on your part. Like, really really horrible.

"Probably" was used because I can't say "definitely" since I've never been.
Ok, well in that case I retract the pinecone requirement and you can just have the standard GFY.

#1 Chick-Fil-a vs. #16 Maggiano's Little Italy

Easy money here. Chicken n pickles all day.

#8 Dairy Queen vs. #9 T.G.I Fridays

Not a big ice cream guy.

Love BWWs. Fried chicken. Countless hot sauces. Cold beer. Sports. Any day all day.

Only been here once but it was good. BK is the last fast food joint I'd go to.

Fantastic steaks. Also I'm not really into this whole 'Tex Mex' phase goin on.

This one shouldn't even be close.

Not the best deliver pizza but I enjoy pizza over pancakes any day.

Great subs IMO. I can think of a couple other sub places I'd hit before JJs but I'm always satisfied when I eat there. Also I've never eaten at a Dickey's. There's one 5 mins from my house so I'll try to hit it up sometime. Strip mall BBQ just never had much appeal to me.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT