ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

Are you sure you would call it a tenet of Christianity?
If you're a big fan of the Pauline letters, then yes. Depends on what you consider the tenets to be. Paul was a lot more descriptive of sexual behaviors.

Whoever they please. But if they want to vote for someone that reflects christian values it SURE AS FUK AINT TRUMP

Oh, I'll agree with you there 100%. Trump trying to lay claim to being a Christian is a pretty funny idea, and congregations should turn their back on some of these evangelists who claim that he was sent by God.

Edit: That being said, it wasn't any of the candidates.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Man, this might be your worst posting day ever. The law doesn't state that the court has to give bail. It just doesn't. If you will read the rest of the constitution, you'll notice it talks about the rights a citizen has and what the government can't do. It mentions those rights specifically. Pretty much every legal scholar and constitutional expert agrees that denying bail is constitutional. I'm going to explain this in more detail for you, but this is going to be the ultimate Van Damme, so I hope you are sitting down. Bear with me because it's going to be a long post.

The eighth amendment is almost identical to the English Bill of Rights version, which states:"excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted." It's clear by the similarities, that the founders intended the basis of the eight amendment to reflect the meaning and origin of the version in the English Bill of Rights. Now that I've taught you that, I can teach you about the origin of the English Bill of Rights version.

It's origin actually started way back in the 13th century. Parliament passed a statue back then that listed crimes where bail could be denied and crimes where bail had to be given. Kings would try to abuse this power, so in the 16th century the Petition of Right stated that the King didn't have that power. There were still some loopholes, but the Habeas Corpus act closed those loopholes.

All of that lead to judges giving defendants high bail, so the English Bill of Rights was written to address that with the language that I mentioned above. Since denial of bail powers have been given to the courts since the 13th century, the 8th amendment is interpreted to still give that power because there was nothing in the English Bill of Rights that took that power away.

Now that I have clearly established the legal basis for the reason bail can be denied, you can go ahead and admit defeat. That's what you should do anyway. I have a feeling that you are going to try to dig your heels in even deeper and once again respond with your opinion instead of actual facts. Hope you enjoyed the history lesson though.

I think this is the part of the conversation where I present you with a mic drop.

tenor.gif

Does a mic drop signify repeating yourself ad naseum now?

I'm just talking about what made it into the Bible.
I am, too. It's referenced in the NT is exclusively by Paul's letters: in Romans, I Corinthians (which is extremely vague), and the letter to Timothy (also vague).

It doesn't really matter. Trump is hardly any model for Biblical Christian values. Evangelicals have chained themselves to the Republican Party. Personally, I've never understood why. But, I'm not an evangelical. I don't understand a devout Christian's desire to even delve into politics at all. I mean, forget about the sexual aspects. Politicians pander/lie ALL THE TIME. They must sell-out just to get a seat at the table, especially in American government. It's a requirement!

Except to repeat yourself, which is okay. I especially how you continually try to conflate the laws. You sound like a cable news channel.
LOL. Still not offering any facts. All you have is your opinion which isn't backed up by case law or history. You really need to look up the definition of conflate, because you apparently don't know what it is. If you want to reply with some facts you can. If not I'll just leave you alone. I've embarrassed you enough today. It's too bad you can't recognize it.

LOL. Still not offering any facts. All you have is your opinion which isn't backed up by case law or history. You really need to look up the definition of conflate, because you apparently don't know what it is. If you want to reply with some facts you can. If not I'll just leave you alone. I've embarrassed you enough today. It's too bad you can't recognize it.

Neither
Are
You

I am, too. It's referenced in the NT is exclusively by Paul's letters: in Romans, I Corinthians (which is extremely vague), and the letter to Timothy (also vague).

It doesn't really matter. Trump is hardly any model for Biblical Christian values. Evangelicals have chained themselves to the Republican Party. Personally, I've never understood why. But, I'm not an evangelical. I don't understand a devout Christian's desire to even delve into politics at all. I mean, forget about the sexual aspects. Politicians pander/lie ALL THE TIME. They must sell-out just to get a seat at the table, especially in American government. It's a requirement!
Christians "chain" themselves to the Republican Party because part of the Democratic Party platform is unrestricted abortion.

Christians "chain" themselves to the Republican Party because part of the Democratic Party platform is unrestricted abortion.
Also not mentioned in the Bible. The Old Testament references people try to associate with their attitude toward abortion are even more vague and open to interpretation than homosexuality.

I didn't say it was in the bible. It's a personal moral issue for people.
Yes, I know. But, the common thread of Evangelicals is the Bible, their religion and how they dictate their beliefs and principles based on Scripture. There's no basis or scriptural reference to make it such an unmoving issue. It makes no sense to me. But, whatever.

Thou shall not kill.
Christians justify killing people all the time. A fetus isn't even a person... yet. And, I'm not someone who generally agrees with the choice of having an abortion. I don't think abortion should be an option after 8 weeks at the most. I don't have a religious affiliation that reinforces my opinion.

If abortion is the appeal the Republicans have for evangelicals, as you say, it seems like a strange choice.

Woah boy, it's shit on Robert E. Lee day from the left side of the media. They are mostly wrong.

For a wealthy white man living in the 1860's in Virginia, Lee was pretty progressive with his thoughts on slavery and African Americans in general.

Reactions: NoleSoup4U
Woah boy, it's shit on Robert E. Lee day from the left side of the media. They are mostly wrong.

For a wealthy white man living in the 1860's in Virginia, Lee was pretty progressive with his thoughts on slavery and African Americans in general.
What's going on now?

I can’t be the only one who has no idea who that guy from the tweet is.

Robert E. Lee was a very good military general. In fact, one of the reasons why the Civil War lasted so long was due to the superior military leadership of the Confederacy in the first two years, especially in the east.

Trying to compare social norms to 30 years ago is ridiculous. Trying to compare them to 200 years ago is even more ridiculous.

See:
Thou shalt not kill.
See:

Christians justify killing people all the time. A fetus isn't even a person... yet. And, I'm not someone who generally agrees with the choice of having an abortion. I don't think abortion should be an option after 8 weeks at the most. I don't have a religious affiliation that reinforces my opinion.

If abortion is the appeal the Republicans have for evangelicals, as you say, it seems like a strange choice.

Okay, I was sure because you butchered my post and it was just kind of disjointed. I'm not sure exactly what you were asking.

“This kind of stuff cracks me up. We go from "Trump is a moron" to "Trump has the ability to fundamentally change a religion that is 2000 years old." It's interesting to watch from the sideline.”

Again, where did the quotes come from?

“This kind of stuff cracks me up. We go from "Trump is a moron" to "Trump has the ability to fundamentally change a religion that is 2000 years old." It's interesting to watch from the sideline.”

Again, where did the quotes come from?

Well, the "Trump is a moron" quote is pretty self-explanatory. The other quote came from Strumms post. I was paraphrasing of course, but that's probably pretty obvious.

Biologic human life is defined by examining the scientific facts of human development. This is a field where there is no controversy, no disagreement. There is only one set of facts, only one embryology book is studied in medical school. The more scientific knowledge of fetal development that has been learned, the more science has confirmed that the beginning of any one human individual's life, biologically speaking, begins at the completion of the union of his father's sperm and his mother's ovum, a process called "conception," "fertilization," or "fecundation." This is so because this being, from fertilization, is alive, human, sexed, complete and growing.

It’s Science!

Biologic human life is defined by examining the scientific facts of human development. This is a field where there is no controversy, no disagreement. There is only one set of facts, only one embryology book is studied in medical school. The more scientific knowledge of fetal development that has been learned, the more science has confirmed that the beginning of any one human individual's life, biologically speaking, begins at the completion of the union of his father's sperm and his mother's ovum, a process called "conception," "fertilization," or "fecundation." This is so because this being, from fertilization, is alive, human, sexed, complete and growing.

It’s Science!
And?

ETA:

Thou Shalt Not Kill... except:

1- When I tell you to
2- When you think I might be telling you to
3- When everyone else believes I'm either telling them, or you, to
4- When you've decided to start a war (holy or otherwise) and you just KNOW "I'm" on your side
5- When you've decided to execute anyone, for whatever reason you've decided that, either I commanded it, or I commanded it vicariously through your interpretation of the offense and result
6- REVENGE!
and on, and on, and on, and on

ETA, again: Nowhere is AN ABORTION mentioned in the Bible!

Well, the "Trump is a moron" quote is pretty self-explanatory. The other quote came from Strumms post. I was paraphrasing of course, but that's probably pretty obvious.
You are being dishonest You don’t put your own spin on something and then pass it off as a quote from someone else.

And?

ETA:

Thou Shalt Not Kill... except:

1- When I tell you to
2- When you think I might be telling you to
3- When everyone else believes I'm either telling them, or you, to
4- When you've decided to start a war (holy or otherwise) and you just KNOW "I'm" on your side
5- When you've decided to execute anyone, for whatever reason you've decided that, either I commanded it, or I commanded it vicariously through your interpretation of the offense and result
6- REVENGE!
and on, and on, and on, and on

ETA, again: Nowhere is AN ABORTION mentioned in the Bible!

^^^^
That barbarity ain’t thought up .until several hundred years later, soooo I wouldn’t expect it to be in there.

As for the other stuff. War and murder are completely different ideas.

^^^^
That barbarity ain’t thought up .until several hundred years later, soooo I wouldn’t expect it to be in there.

As for the other stuff. War and murder are completely different ideas.
It says "Kill." Take it up with the authors.

And, how do you know when the "barbarity ain't thought up?" You don't really believe that wars, executions, murder, and every other atrocity started after Moses came down from Sinai, do you? Abraham was told to kill... until God said "Just kidding." God killed a bunch of people during the Flood. That's before Moses, too. Not to mention, and more importantly, the Hebrews aren't the first human beings. You think people just discovered abortion in the last hundred years?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_abortion

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT