ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

You sure do know a lot about these parades for a straight guy... ;)

tenor.gif

I already told you why.

That argument doesn't make any sense. If it did then Asians would be in the worst shape of any minority, but they aren't. So, lay out a better argument.
I like the selective editing. You should get a job at Faux News.

The rest of the quote:

Resist Marxism, itself, does not have members—its leaders organise events for anyone who wants to go along – allowing it to have become a nimble unofficial meeting hub for nationalists and white supremacists.

Yeah, that sounds exactly like a white nationalist group.

It's also cute when people aren't aware of the rebranding that white nationalists groups have worked so hard to achieve. That's literally what the "alt-right" is. White nationalist groups were dwindling out of existence, so they rebranded their ideas and started downplaying the ethno-nationalist aspects of their ideology to bring in more members. It worked. This was all documented by Christian Piccolinni. Instead of calling themselves white nationalists they now call themselves ordinary nationalists, alt-right, or even just far-right. I bet you think Richard Spencer isn't a white nationalist too...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ottesville-christian-picciolini-a7911756.html

There's a reason I left that out. When you allow anyone to come, that means you allow anyone to come. The organization itself isn't white supremacist. How do you not understand that? Even the article that you linked isn't calling them white supremacists. They're trying to imply that they hang around with white supremacists or other people who hang around with white supremacists, which is still only a half truth.

This isn't even debated by intelligent people anymore. Econometrics has clearly proven that racial minorities suffer significant disadvantages, all else being equal. Here's some light reading for you, from one of the most influential political economists of all time.

http://www.sas.rochester.edu/psc/clarke/214/Arrow98.pdf

And this quote is for the morons that make arguments like, "well that's just because black people are lazy."

Modern economic theory for the last 30 years has emphasized how information or, more properly, beliefs and expectations influence economic behavior. These beliefs may in turn be based on some kind of evidence; the rational choice theory implies that beliefs contradicted by experience will not survive. In the present con- text, this has given rise to the theory of statistical discrimination. Suppose blacks and whites do in fact differ in productivity, at least on the average. This is in turn due to some cause, perhaps quality of education, perhaps cultural differences; but the cause is not itself observable. Then the experience of employers over time will cause them to use the observable characteristic, race, as a surrogate for the unobservable characteristics which in fact cause the productivity differences (Phelps, 1972; Arrow, 1972a, b, 1973; for a more recent version, see Lundberg and Startz, 1997). This is a market-based explanation which does not require tastes for discrimination.

Okay, I've read the first two sections. Does he talking about anything after the Jim Crow days? Also, his argument up until that point could easily have been made about poor people vs. rich people. That would have been more accurate than racism. Racism is hard to fall back on when Asians are the smallest race in the US, but they're doing the best of all the races.

Edit: Okay, I read the entire article and it sounds like he's just another person screaming "institutional racism". Honestly, the article uses the word "if" so many times that it sounds like he's just spitballing.

Last edited:
That argument doesn't make any sense. If it did then Asians would be in the worst shape of any minority, but they aren't.
This is why people get frustrated with you. If you're already just thinking this kind of inaccuracy, then what's the point?

This is why people get frustrated with you. If you're already just thinking this kind of inaccuracy, then what's the point?

Yeah it’s a complete waste of time. He obviously either can’t comprehend the material, or chose to block out the parts that are inconvenient to his ideology.

Studies have shown that all other variables being equal, black folks are less likely to graduate high school, less likely to get into college, earn less for the same work, and are even less likely to get call backs for job interviews.

That comment about Asians proves how much of a dumbass he is. Nowhere has anyone said that black folks are disadvantaged because of the size of their demographic. Asians generally experience the exact opposite kind of moral and statistical bias. People are biased towards think Asians are smarter, which actually can give them an advantage in the job market.

Also the guy who he thinks is “spitballing” has his material taught in virtually every public choice and political economy classroom in the world. His impossibility theorem is a hugely influential theory of government that has never been disproven. But knowing what you’re talking about is just an “argument from authority.” Everyone knows the real experts are edgelord political pundits that hangout on YouTube.

Show your work.
The reason why minorities are getting concessions is because of the racial domination of Caucasians in our culture and society. I don't know if I even agree that they're effective measures, or succeed in leveling the playing field, when there's always going to be the memory of the legacy of what has occurred under what is basically "White Rule" in America.

But, to claim that everything is A-OK and "no one is oppressed anymore" is in your Top 10 most inaccurate statements, and that's a pretty amazing list by itself.

What was inaccurate about my statement? Asian people are a much smaller minority than Blacks or Hispanics, but they are docked on SAT scores while Blacks and Hispanics get points added to theirs. If this was an issue with white domination, why wouldn't Asians be getting points added as well? It's called the bigotry of low expectations. For some reason, people like you don't think Black or Latino people can hack it without some kind of help. I find that disgusting and racist.

What was inaccurate about my statement? Asian people are a much smaller minority than Blacks or Hispanics, but they are docked on SAT scores while Blacks and Hispanics get points added to theirs. If this was an issue with white domination, why wouldn't Asians be getting points added as well? It's called the bigotry of low expectations. For some reason, people like you don't think Black or Latino people can hack it without some kind of help. I find that disgusting and racist.
I don't think they all need help. I think the system is stacked against them because of the facts of a historical legacy. It's not as bad as it was 50 or especially 100 years ago. I don't ignore history.

And, Asians don't have the same historical circumstances in this country as people of African descent. Asians weren't treated as property for 250 years and their humanity stripped from them. They weren't denied the ability to educate themselves, or even have a choice for nearly any aspect of their lives... for generations. Their ancestors weren't brought here completely against their will and used as chattel slaves, to be owned by white people, to contribute to the profit-driven economy of the Golden Triangle of the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. It wasn't until maybe the last 50 years that they were afforded even the most trivial social recognitions that white people completely take for granted. They weren't separated from whites, by law, in public schools and universities, restaurants, hospitals,or any public facility. That creates a social dysfunction, stigma, and inequality that is still lingering.

That's just off the top of my head.

I don't think they all need help. I think the system is stacked against them because of the facts of a historical legacy. It's not as bad as it was 50 or especially 100 years ago. I don't ignore history.

And, Asians don't have the same historical circumstances in this country as people of African descent. Asians weren't treated as property for 250 years and their humanity stripped from them. They weren't denied the ability to educate themselves, or even have a choice for nearly any aspect of their lives... for generations. Their ancestors weren't brought here completely against their will and used as chattel slaves, to be owned by white people, to contribute to the profit-driven economy of the Golden Triangle of the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. It wasn't until maybe the last 50 years that they were afforded even the most trivial social recognitions that white people completely take for granted. They weren't separated from whites, by law, in public schools and universities, restaurants, hospitals,or any public facility. That creates a social dysfunction, stigma, and inequality that is still lingering.

That's just off the top of my head.

Well, blacks weren't put into camps during WWII, losing their homes and businesses as a result.

Last edited:
Eh, from what I've seen in Atlanta (home to one of the biggest gay rights parades in the world) they don't really celebrate getting more rights. It's more of a "we're here we're queer" type of thing. That's fine to do if they want, but let's not pretend this is the million man march.

They apologize for not celebrating the way you’d like them to.

They apologize for not celebrating the way you’d like them to.
They can celebrate how they want, I don't care. My comment had more to do with how you described their celebration. It should be obvious by now that I have no issue with gay people. I'm one of the few people here who have defended them in the past.

They can celebrate how they want, I don't care. My comment had more to do with how you described their celebration. It should be obvious by now that I have no issue with gay people. I'm one of the few people here who have defended them in the past.

You don't think they celebrate getting more rights. You think they celebrate by acting "queer".

Really sounds like you're a staunch supporter.

You don't think they celebrate getting more rights. You think they celebrate by acting "queer".

Really sounds like you're a staunch supporter.
You should probably know what you're talking about before you post something. You haven't been around here that long, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. You look back through these threads and you'll find that the only people who have defended pretty much every gay rights issue is @strummingram, @uncboy10 and me. Everyone else either doesn't support it or keeps quite.

That being said, my response was about how YOU were describing it. It had nothing to do with my support.

Black athletes dominate the NBA because a majority of the best basketball players are black, and the NBA selects for the most elite talent. As RH pointed out, a majority of elite hockey players are white.

Those are merit based selections. If you try to draw an analogy from that to the economic outcomes of black folks, you are suggesting those outcomes are also merit based. That’s a perfect example of the statistic bias mentioned in the Arrow article I shared. It also treads dangerously close to racist territory IMO. But it could also just be ignorance of some fairly complex causality.

Being black is not necessarily the cause of the bias we see in the economy. There is a clear relationship between education and earnings. Black folks on average have less access to quality education. An applicant with a black sounding name is less likely to get a call back. Black folks are more likely to get arrested for drug possession, despite the fact that white folks use more drugs. Black folks receive harsher sentences on average for the same crimes.

There is a long list of these types of biases that are still present in society today. When you add them up, you realize there is a significant disadvantage for many people of color, especially in underserved communities.

There are lots of silly counter arguments that frequently come up in these discussions. The first is what I would call the Obama argument. This argument is that some black people are so successful that racial inequality can’t possibly exist. The second argument is that white people can be poor and miserable too. And of course they can. Neither of these coonterarguments actually address the issue. If you control for every other variable, black folks will, on average, be at a disadvantage compared to their white counterparts.

Of course some people will read this post and just think it’s somehow an accusation that all white people are racist.

Black athletes dominate the NBA because a majority of the best basketball players are black, and the NBA selects for the most elite talent. As RH pointed out, a majority of elite hockey players are white.

Those are merit based selections. If you try to draw an analogy from that to the economic outcomes of black folks, you are suggesting those outcomes are also merit based. That’s a perfect example of the statistic bias mentioned in the Arrow article I shared. It also treads dangerously close to racist territory IMO. But it could also just be ignorance of some fairly complex causality.

Being black is not necessarily the cause of the bias we see in the economy. There is a clear relationship between education and earnings. Black folks on average have less access to quality education. An applicant with a black sounding name is less likely to get a call back. Black folks are more likely to get arrested for drug possession, despite the fact that white folks use more drugs. Black folks receive harsher sentences on average for the same crimes.

There is a long list of these types of biases that are still present in society today. When you add them up, you realize there is a significant disadvantage for many people of color, especially in underserved communities.

There are lots of silly counter arguments that frequently come up in these discussions. The first is what I would call the Obama argument. This argument is that some black people are so successful that racial inequality can’t possibly exist. The second argument is that white people can be poor and miserable too. And of course they can. Neither of these coonterarguments actually address the issue. If you control for every other variable, black folks will, on average, be at a disadvantage compared to their white counterparts.

Of course some people will read this post and just think it’s somehow an accusation that all white people are racist.

This doesn't take into account prior convictions. And I have yet to see a study where all the variables, save for one, were controlled. Even the paper you linked to earlier in this thread didn't have that, which is one reason I had such a problem with it.

If they were happy to celebrate getting more rights as you say, they wouldn't feel the need to do it publicly. If they were truly just happy to be seen as equal, they would celebrate with like-minded people and like-minded people only. But that's not what they want. Sure, they may want to celebrate to a small degree. But what they want even more is to throw it in the faces of people that don't support their lifestyle. They want to make others uncomfortable. They're not just content to have equal rights. They want equal rights and they want everyone to either agree with their lifestyle or they want to make those that don't agree uncomfortable. And it's because of that mentality - for any issue - that pushes me to the side of opposition.

I think you're describing a small subset of their community (but as with anything, the minority you're describing are the most vocal). Most gay people I know just want to live their life the same way straight people do.

I have a few friends who marched in the DC pride parade just simply to support those who haven't been treated as equal, been persecuted, or killed because they are gay. I think the "throw it in people's faces" is not the objective of most gay people at all...or at least the ones I know.

The gay pride thing seems like a great test for the so called libertarian ideals of many right wingers. They claim to believe that others should be able to do as they please, as long as they aren’t hurting others. But if you throw a parade with a few rainbows at them, they suddenly start whinging about how they are tired of seeing gay people act gay in public.

Get over it. Move to Wyoming if you think LGBT issues are being shoved down your throat. I hear there’s still a Cheney sister that will gladly denounce gay marriage for you.

Blah, blah, blah. All you're doing is saying all white people are racist.

You should probably know what you're talking about before you post something. You haven't been around here that long, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. You look back through these threads and you'll find that the only people who have defended pretty much every gay rights issue is @strummingram, @uncboy10 and me. Everyone else either doesn't support it or keeps quite.

That being said, my response was about how YOU were describing it. It had nothing to do with my support.

I don't need to nor care to look back at every thread. I'm talking about your comment you made here and discussing it.

As I said above, I think the "look at us we're queer" mentality that you describe is a minority of gay people.

The gay pride thing seems like a great test for the so called libertarian ideals of many right wingers. They claim to believe that others should be able to do as they please, as long as they aren’t hurting others. But if you throw a parade with a few rainbows at them, they suddenly start whinging about how they are tired of seeing gay people act gay in public.

Get over it. Move to Wyoming if you think LGBT issues are being shoved down your throat. I hear there’s still a Cheney sister that will gladly denounce gay marriage for you.

Who's complaining about gay parades? I don't know a single person who has an issue with them. Is this like the "Hillary lost because of racism" argument?

This doesn't take into account prior convictions. And I have yet to see a study where all the variables, save for one, were controlled. Even the paper you linked to earlier in this thread didn't have that, which is one reason I had such a problem with it.

Yes it does. That’s one of the easiest variable to control for since the data is widely available to the public.

Econometrics uses statistical tools to estimate coefficients while controlling for every confounding variable that you can think of when designing the study. This is my area of expertise.

I don't need to nor care to look back at every thread. I'm talking about your comment you made here and discussing it.

As I said above, I think the "look at us we're queer" mentality that you describe is a minority of gay people.

Well, sure it is. You don't think most gay people march in parades, do you?

Yes it does. That’s one of the easiest variable to control for since the data is widely available to the public.

Econometrics uses statistical tools to estimate coefficients while controlling for every confounding variable that you can think of when designing the study. This is my area of expertise.

Great, so you should be able to provide some kind of proof then.

I think @NoleSoup4U saying he thinks white people have it harder than black people doesn't make him racist...it makes him an idiot.

They have it harder getting into colleges and getting jobs. There isn't much argument there. It's the same as women having an easier time getting a job over a man. With quotas, that's just how it is. It doesn't mean that white men can't get jobs. It just means that they have a couple of variables stacked against them.

I still find it funny that nobody can actually tell me where I'm wrong...only that I'm wrong.

If you don't care to look back then don't try to say, or imply, that I have some problem with gay people. For the third ****ing time, my comment was about YOU not them. You're starting to sound like your favorite poster.

They have it harder getting into colleges and getting jobs. There isn't much argument there. It's the same as women having an easier time getting a job over a man. With quotas, that's just how it is. It doesn't mean that white men can't get jobs. It just means that they have a couple of variables stacked against them.

I still find it funny that nobody can actually tell me where I'm wrong...only that I'm wrong.

If it's so easy for blacks then why are these numbers so staggering?

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...on-rates-vary-race-and-ethnicity-report-finds

Again. You're wrong. You're really f-ing wrong. As usual.

If you don't care to look back then don't try to say, or imply, that I have some problem with gay people. For the third ****ing time, my comment was about YOU not them. You're starting to sound like your favorite poster.

You're getting crazy defensive for something that you think is a cut and dry issue.

You're probably right. The people I'm describing are probably the minority. But I'm not sure I can change my feelings about it even knowing that. The vocal minority have ruined and continue to ruin it for me. They need to understand that their behavior is doing more harm than good. Because I can assure you that I'm not the only one that opposes a "movement" because of said vocal minority.

Agreed.

I think that's true with any group. Libs, Conservatives, Gay people, Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, etc. etc. The vocal minority suck, always.

Wtf are you talking about? White students are at a significant advantage over black students when it comes to get into college. They are also nearly 20% more likely to graduate.

In most places, quotas are not permitted. They can have “goals” but they cannot turn away a qualified student to meet that goal.

This white persecution crap is laughably stupid.

Reactions: strummingram
You're getting crazy defensive for something that you think is a cut and dry issue.
I have a problem with people trying to tell me how I feel, especially when they are trying to say I'm homophobic, racist, etc. Where did I say it was a cut and dry issue?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT